or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple struggling to meet demand for new LED-lit notebooks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple struggling to meet demand for new LED-lit notebooks - Page 2

post #41 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's not true.

You think?
post #42 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

You are normally pretty jovial, what has changed such that your attitude is so different now from in the past?

I'm getting married in two weeks. Does that count?

No, really though:

Shaw Wu. He started this Ultra-Portable rumor. He talks completely out of his ass, has no sources (besides AI and MacRumors) and his claims are completely unfounded... yet people listen to him. Now this ultra-portable jargain is barreling out of control, when in reality, a 13" MBP would be nearly identical in portability as compared to the MB. Yet Wu will get credit for "predicting" this ultra-portable s**t.

That man is the spawn of satan.

Hey Moderators: can I call Shaw Wu a stupid lunatic or will I lose two more points?

-Clive
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
Reply
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
Reply
post #43 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

That's the part the "go to a gym" people don't understand. Its not the weight, its the weight + time. Its the drag on the arm hauling it around, its the freaking pain in the shoulder from the freakin' strap on the bag. And its not just the laptop people have to carry around. A 2lb laptop isn't going to help if the power supply for it is 3 pounds.

Is there a big difference between 4 lbs and 5 lbs?

For 4 hours, that's a 64000 Ns difference... that's not too bad. That's about the amount of energy it takes a 200 lb-man to accellerate to a 5 MPH jog.

Ahh, physics. It makes everything right.

-Clive
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
Reply
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
Reply
post #44 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post


Remember: "Ultra-portability" is not a definition, it's a characteristic.

-Clive

Perhaps, but my 'definition' came from PC Mag, Computer Shopper, etc. Just because you have your own preconceptions of what the term means doesn't mean that that's the commonly accepted definition.
post #45 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Is there a big difference between 4 lbs and 5 lbs?

It can be a difference between about 2.5lb and about 5, and yes, this is with an optical drive. I know you have a grudge against ULV-chip based notebooks but I don't think that's rational, because most people don't really don't need the performance of a T series chip. Those that do can easily chose a different model.

Quote:
For 4 hours, that's a 64000 Ns difference... that's not too bad. That's about the amount of energy it takes a 200 lb-man to accellerate to a 5 MPH jog.

While your numbers are interesting, but I think is a distraction because fatigue is different than a short burst of power. I really suggest you take a walk for hours at a time with a notebook strapped onto your shoulder and tell us that it's not a consideration.
post #46 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Shaw Wu. He started this Ultra-Portable rumor. He talks completely out of his ass, has no sources (besides AI and MacRumors) and his claims are completely unfounded... yet people listen to him. Now this ultra-portable jargain is barreling out of control, when in reality, a 13" MBP would be nearly identical in portability as compared to the MB. Yet Wu will get credit for "predicting" this ultra-portable s**t.

It's not just Shaw Wu.

Google keywords:

site:www.appleinsider.com ultraportable Wu

No hits.

site:www.appleinsider.com ultraportable

10 hits.

Some of these stories predate the stories I've found mentioning Wu with respect to this type of machine. The appleinsider stories that involve Wu call the machine type a sub-notebook, but the above illustrates that it's not something being perpetrated by a one man crusade.
post #47 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It can be a difference between about 2.5lb and about 5, and yes, this is with an optical drive. I know you have a grudge against ULV-chip based notebooks but I don't think that's rational, because most people don't really don't need the performance of a T series chip. Those that do can easily chose a different model.

uhh... I have no problem with that. I have always thought an ultra-portable should be a compliment to the desktop, not a replacement. And for me, that's saying a lot. My desktop is an 800MHz G4 iMac. I can still run Garage Band, iMovie and the like, allbeit slowly. I'm just getting to the point where I'm ready to upgrade to a new computer that'll be sufficient for the next 6 years.

I like power, but I realize when I have enough. I don't think my iMac will make it through Leopard alive... so it's time to upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

While your numbers are interesting, but I think is a distraction because fatigue is different than a short burst of power. I really suggest you take a walk for hours at a time with a notebook strapped onto your shoulder and tell us that it's not a consideration.

In college, I walked anywhere between a quarter to a half a mile to any of my buildings on campus with a 7.5-lb laptop plus two or so large physics books... round trip. This would occur a few times daily for four years. I would occasionally experience back and shoulder discomfort, but nothing I couldn't bear.

People with lightweight laptops are spoiled.

-Clive
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
Reply
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
Reply
post #48 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

In college, I walked anywhere between a quarter to a half a mile to any of my buildings on campus with a 7.5-lb laptop plus two or so large physics books... round trip. This would occur a few times daily for four years. I would occasionally experience back and shoulder discomfort, but nothing I couldn't bear.

People with lightweight laptops are spoiled.

OK then.

I can pick up and carry a 140lb bar of aluminum over short distances if I have to, I actually do it a few times a year, so it's a little irritating to have people suggest a gym membership. I think it is a different type of physiological stress. Just because a person can swim doesn't mean they can take Chinese water torture, and just because a person can't take the cold drip doesn't mean they can't swim.

Still, when I went to NAB this year, or SEMA a couple years ago, I left my notebook in the hotel room. It would have been nice to have it, but I didn't absolutely have to have it with me and I just didn't want the aching shoulder for countless miles of walking, from a hotel halfway down the Vegas strip and walking around much of the show floor every day, almost non-stop. With what stuff I did bring, my arms and shoulders were the sorest part, despite the fact that the walking effort was probably a three orders of magnitude more.
post #49 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven56 View Post

I ordered a new baseline 15" macbook pro from a Mac1 store on the 13th of June and am still waiting for it to arrive. This is my first Mac and to be honest Apple is proving to be completely incompetent, 6 WEEKS is fare too long to wait for a laptop.
At least now i have some idea that I'm not the only one going through this pain.

And what problems have they had with the LED screens?

Hmmm... that is a really long time, have you called them about it? And as far as I know, there have been no major problems with the screen yet and I think that the recent firmware update may have fixed a minor issue. Mine works great. Love it.
Serving humanity one sarcastic comment at a time.
Reply
Serving humanity one sarcastic comment at a time.
Reply
post #50 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

OK then.

I can pick up and carry a 140lb bar of aluminum over short distances if I have to, I actually do it a few times a year

I chew through steel frames of rusting cars, digest it, and defecate rolls of nickels.

-Clive
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
Reply
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
Reply
post #51 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

In college, I walked anywhere between a quarter to a half a mile to any of my buildings on campus with a 7.5-lb laptop plus two or so large physics books... round trip. This would occur a few times daily for four years. I would occasionally experience back and shoulder discomfort, but nothing I couldn't bear.

People with lightweight laptops are spoiled.

Hey, sure, when you're in college, that's easy. But we're not that young anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

I chew through steel frames of rusting cars, digest it, and defecate rolls of nickels.

Does admitting to counterfitting US currency give cause for getting more demerits?
post #52 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

I chew through steel frames of rusting cars, digest it, and defecate rolls of nickels.

I wasn't kidding, OK? It's not easy but I can do what I said I can do.
post #53 of 72
Both of you guys need exercise!
post #54 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Does admitting to counterfitting US currency give cause for getting more demerits?



Canadian nickels, actually. They should give me a bonus for slowly contributing to canadian inflation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I wasn't kidding, OK? It's not easy but I can do what I said I can do.

I know, I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Both of you guys need exercise!

Touche. I better go bulk up so I can carry my laptop up a mountain.

-Clive
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
Reply
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
Reply
post #55 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanh View Post

Gross misuse of the term "begs the question."

Well, don't just castigate the ignorant, Ryan, illuminate them as well: "raises the question" is the correct usage here.

And the "OMG, Macs are 3 days late, part shortages, we're all going to die" part nobody criticized...
post #56 of 72
I ordered a 2.4 GHz 15-inch with 2GB RAM and 120GB HD with a glossy screen on the 17th, and it's supposed to ship Jul 26 - Jul 31 and deliver by Jul 30 - Aug 6. Quite slow if you ask me - but I must admit, this is my first Mac purchase and I'm rather giddy to get my hands on it. It's also my first online purchase of a computer. I used my ADC discount as a college student and got the machine for $2,135.93.

I'm just dying to get my hands on it. Anyone know if there's a way you can get it expedited to be shipped? I know you can pay the extra for shipping to get it shipped faster.

Edit: Just noticed how long some others have been waiting - I guess I'm just too impatient.
post #57 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by abandonedhero View Post

I ordered a 2.4 GHz 15-inch with 2GB RAM and 120GB HD with a glossy screen on the 17th, and it's supposed to ship Jul 26 - Jul 31 and deliver by Jul 30 - Aug 6. Quite slow if you ask me - but I must admit, this is my first Mac purchase and I'm rather giddy to get my hands on it. It's also my first online purchase of a computer. I used my ADC discount as a college student and got the machine for $2,135.93.

I'm just dying to get my hands on it. Anyone know if there's a way you can get it expedited to be shipped? I know you can pay the extra for shipping to get it shipped faster.

Edit: Just noticed how long some others have been waiting - I guess I'm just too impatient.

Yeah, it hits most orders for that notebook. Paying more for shipping doesn't get it shipped sooner, it will just move faster once it ships.
post #58 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Yeah, it hits most orders for that notebook. Paying more for shipping doesn't get it shipped sooner, it will just move faster once it ships.

And only once it gets to the States. It usually come through Anchorage and I have found that OVernight Shipping did absolutely nothing for my iPhone.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #59 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by abandonedhero View Post

I ordered a 2.4 GHz 15-inch with 2GB RAM and 120GB HD with a glossy screen on the 17th, and it's supposed to ship Jul 26 - Jul 31 and deliver by Jul 30 - Aug 6. Quite slow if you ask me - but I must admit, this is my first Mac purchase and I'm rather giddy to get my hands on it. It's also my first online purchase of a computer. I used my ADC discount as a college student and got the machine for $2,135.93.

I'm just dying to get my hands on it. Anyone know if there's a way you can get it expedited to be shipped? I know you can pay the extra for shipping to get it shipped faster.

Edit: Just noticed how long some others have been waiting - I guess I'm just too impatient.

Hope you enjoy it.
post #60 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And only once it gets to the States. It usually come through Anchorage and I have found that OVernight Shipping did absolutely nothing for my iPhone.

Awesome. I'm glad I didn't opt for the faster shipping then. The machine was expensive enough as it is, but I guess that's the price you pay for a better machine.
post #61 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

We can get demerits? How many before we get banned? How long does the ban last? How long do the points stay on our "record"? Will these demerits affect my credit rating? Will you inform my mother of any demerits i receive? Please don't; she'll cry.

Seriously, I didn't know there was such a system in place here.

I usually just hit the 72-hour ban button for name-calling, but I was in a jovial mood and just gave him the 2 points and let the system take care of it. 3 more would get him the 72-hour ban, but in reality I would hit ban on the next ad hominem. Those absolutely are not tolerated.
--Johnny
Reply
--Johnny
Reply
post #62 of 72
I don't understand why someone would get so excited over a couple words.

And I don't see a 13" screen as very desirable.

I have a PC Laptop, and chose a 17" screen... (I recently bought a 24" iMac as my first mac.)

If/when I can afford a MacBook... I'll at least want a 15" or 17" screen.

So what if it's a bit heavier... maybe it'll prompt me to get to a gym and get into shape.
post #63 of 72
i ordered a CTO 15' macbook pro with the 7200rpm hard-drive option on the 27th of June from NextByte, an Australian Apple Reseller. almost 1 month now and i have still not received my laptop

after a few phone calls the people working at the store said that apple told them of a shortage of the 7200rpm harddrives and that all stock has run out, adding a 2week wait to the order, he also said that there is currently a backorder of 1,500 15' macbook pros that have not been received in Australia. he said apple estimated a 2week wait for shipment to Aus (although thier website says 7-10 days). unfortunately they still can't give me an ETA as the order is still listed as "in process"

NextByte have apparently not yet recieved ANY 15' macbook pro's even this far after its release...

seems like apple arn't focusing on resellers. sigh... \
post #64 of 72
Now that Apple have removed the Mercury from their displays - perhaps the next step is to remove the LED (sorry - could not resist).
post #65 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by softeky View Post

Now that Apple have removed the Mercury from their displays - perhaps the next step is to remove the LED (sorry - could not resist).

Groan.
post #66 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No,those are a different class altogether.

He might have gotten the models wrong but Sony has the best in class ultra-portable: the Vaio TX at 2.8 lbs including an optical drive and the upcoming (in the US) TZ at 2.65 lbs with SSD drive, DVD burner and LED display.

Better to add an 11"-12" carbon fiber MBP for $$$ than a 13" IMHO and have a best in class machine running OSX than release a middle of the pack ultra-portable at 4ish pounds. Start it out at $1999 without a SSD and price upwards accordingly.

Vinea
post #67 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

He might have gotten the models wrong but Sony has the best in class ultra-portable: the Vaio TX at 2.8 lbs including an optical drive and the upcoming (in the US) TZ at 2.65 lbs with SSD drive, DVD burner and LED display.

Better to add an 11"-12" carbon fiber MBP for $$$ than a 13" IMHO and have a best in class machine running OSX than release a middle of the pack ultra-portable at 4ish pounds. Start it out at $1999 without a SSD and price upwards accordingly.

Vinea

I would be willing to pay for that if they could get it to two pounds.
post #68 of 72
My MBP shipped after eight business days. It's somewhere over the pacific right now.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #69 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

My MBP shipped after eight business days. It's somewhere over the pacific right now.

Hopefully, it won't stay there.
post #70 of 72
I ordered mine on the 17th and it still hasn't shipped. I'm rather antsy and somewhat frustrated now, but hopefully it won't have any of the bent screen problems I've read about.
post #71 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

He might have gotten the models wrong but Sony has the best in class ultra-portable: the Vaio TX at 2.8 lbs including an optical drive and the upcoming (in the US) TZ at 2.65 lbs with SSD drive, DVD burner and LED display.

Better to add an 11"-12" carbon fiber MBP for $$$ than a 13" IMHO and have a best in class machine running OSX than release a middle of the pack ultra-portable at 4ish pounds. Start it out at $1999 without a SSD and price upwards accordingly.

Vinea

It puzzles me how Apple design so many products with size and weight in mind, yet let Sony and others produce ultra portables ahead of them. It's like a complete blind-spot in the company.
post #72 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by abandonedhero View Post

I ordered mine on the 17th and it still hasn't shipped. I'm rather antsy and somewhat frustrated now, but hopefully it won't have any of the bent screen problems I've read about.

I ordered mine on the 12th and it shipped on the 25th, so hopefully you'll be next week! They're still in the 7-10 business day frame for you.

Mine arrived in Alaska this morning.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple struggling to meet demand for new LED-lit notebooks