or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Sources: Apple set to grow iPhone family pre-holidays
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sources: Apple set to grow iPhone family pre-holidays - Page 4

post #121 of 126
Very hard to see why we would want that size full-function phone; it is easy to understand the iPod Nano's functionality-- though I am an 80GB ipod guy, myself. I would be more willing to buy an UP-sized iPhone/Mac Nano with even more software and "computer" capability than go the other way. The touch use in the iPhone is really amazing and surfing the web, in the limited number of places we can now via built in Safari, is spectacular. Give me FireFox capability and maybe we can even create an even more powerful little word processor built in.
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
Reply
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
Reply
post #122 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak1808 View Post

I think that they will replace the iPod nano line with an iPhone nano at the same price points.

No touchscreen, but instead a back-illuminated touchpad that can do a "clickwheel" and a "number pad" or "text pad" mode. GSM, no SIM-lock, world-wide availble immediately.

Why? The price difference between a 4GB nano and a 4GB Sandisk has gone to 100$, which basically shows how cheap flash memory has gotten. Now, they could obivously do the same as last year: Change the design a bit, double the capacity, sell that.

But: This will get old soon. In fact, very soon. Expect vastly more music phones next year, everywhere. I would assume that even low-end phones will include a 1 Gig flash player and a headphone jack. Just because it is soo cheap to do that. Then, in order to sell a nano, you need to convince all these people that the MP3 on their phone is too crappy, and that they actually need something better. I find that a hard sell. Remember: Up till now, most phones did not have MP3, if you wanted it you paid a lot extra, and, as pointed out, Sync/Headphones was an issue. That will change next year.

The whole iPhone thing was to aggressivly attack the coming transition from stand-alone MP3 players to cell phones taking that over. Apple know this is coming.

Now, consider the alternative I discribed: With the margins the iPod nano is enjoying at the moment, it is absolutly possible to include Microphone, Loudspeaker and Phone Chip for the same price as now (these components should be max. 30$).
In one big swoop (Christmas) Apple would get roughly 8-10 million of their Phones out into the market. In one blow, they would hit the phone market, hard. And the entire threat of mobile phones replacing iPods would be gone forever. Now, iPods would be replacing mobile phones.
Who would have thought that?

:-) I know it's bold, but I could imagine Jobs doing that.
What do you think?

When I was reading your post, I was agreeing with you more and more. At first I was shocked by the prospect of seeing the iPod nano go, but then again, it wouldn't be the first time Apple replaces their best-selling product with something even more awesome (and even better-selling ).

Simply adding a basic phone functionality to the iPod nano makes sense. The additional GSM chipset really shouldn't be that expensive (I think $30 is a bit much; Mel?) and neither should it be too big or power-hungry to fit in a slightly revised / thicker iPod nano enclosure. And, as you said, sell them un-locked, worldwide. Just insert your SIM and you're good to go.

I do have two minor points, though. Why shouldn't it just keep the click-wheel? It has been said in these forums before: How often do you actually dial in a phone number on your cell phone? You have your contacts list, or your missed calls list; and for the rare occasion you actually do have to dial in a phone number, the click-wheel works well enough. Although I have to admit that SMS would be kind of cumbersome this way. And your price points are too low. $299 for the only model, which would have to be limited to 4 GB so as not to outshine its bigger brother. Possibly a 4 and a 8 GB upgraded 2G iPod nano at $149 and $199, respectively. Hell (sorry, Kasper), add a 16 GB model at $249 to fill the gap. Or price the one with phone functionality at $249, making my entire point redundant. Oh, well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak1808 View Post

And the entire threat of mobile phones replacing iPods would be gone forever. Now, iPods would be replacing mobile phones.
Who would have thought that?

Genius. And after the transition is complete, they'll all be named iPods again. They're still pods, after all.

See you at the Munich store opening next year.
post #123 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubit View Post

Very hard to see why we would want that size full-function phone.

The point is to have basic phone functionality built into your iPod nano, so that you don't have to carry a phone in addition to your iPod. The iPod is replacing your phone; or, at least, standing in for it on the go.
post #124 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

In this case I just think shrinking it makes sense, and allows them to use their advance 'space-efficient' user interfaces as an advantage over any other phone maker, and phone, on the planet. Multi-touch is simple too juicy for Apple to resist using on iPhone nano, and what's more texting on a click wheel would be a joke, and very inefficient. Besides why not make more use of all the iPhone research, and let less well-to-do people have something really, really cool too.

I think this could take two directions:

1) What you say, leveraging multitouch at a lower price. However, I would expect them to change the interface to accomodate the smaller size. I don't think it would simply be the same thing minus a few applications; I think they would implement some of the ideas that have surfaced in recent patents. For example, numbers for phone dialing could be arranged in a circle. Dialing "rotary style" would leave little trails of light behind your finger (as described in the patent) which would be cool. There could also be a more efficient tapping system, but in either case, I don't think the pictures you would see on the screen would simply be the ones from the bigger iPhone but smaller, or the ones from the bigger iPhone minus one or two apps. One benefit of the multitouch technology is that they can create entirely new pictures to accomodate any physical device or virtual application they can dream up.

2) They combine a phone and an iPod without multitouch to keep costs down. However, I doubt they would do this because I think it dilutes the iPhone platform/brand they are just starting to build.
post #125 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak1808 View Post

I think that they will replace the iPod nano line with an iPhone nano at the same price points.

No touchscreen, but instead a back-illuminated touchpad that can do a "clickwheel" and a "number pad" or "text pad" mode. GSM, no SIM-lock, world-wide availble immediately.

Why? The price difference between a 4GB nano and a 4GB Sandisk has gone to 100$, which basically shows how cheap flash memory has gotten. Now, they could obivously do the same as last year: Change the design a bit, double the capacity, sell that.

But: This will get old soon. In fact, very soon. Expect vastly more music phones next year, everywhere. I would assume that even low-end phones will include a 1 Gig flash player and a headphone jack. Just because it is soo cheap to do that. Then, in order to sell a nano, you need to convince all these people that the MP3 on their phone is too crappy, and that they actually need something better. I find that a hard sell. Remember: Up till now, most phones did not have MP3, if you wanted it you paid a lot extra, and, as pointed out, Sync/Headphones was an issue. That will change next year.

The whole iPhone thing was to aggressivly attack the coming transition from stand-alone MP3 players to cell phones taking that over. Apple know this is coming.

Now, consider the alternative I discribed: With the margins the iPod nano is enjoying at the moment, it is absolutly possible to include Microphone, Loudspeaker and Phone Chip for the same price as now (these components should be max. 30$).
In one big swoop (Christmas) Apple would get roughly 8-10 million of their Phones out into the market. In one blow, they would hit the phone market, hard. And the entire threat of mobile phones replacing iPods would be gone forever. Now, iPods would be replacing mobile phones.
Who would have thought that?

:-) I know it's bold, but I could imagine Jobs doing that.
What do you think?

Since they make less on the Nano than they do on the 5G series, there is no way they could then add the components for a phone, and charge the same price, without omitting something else.

Apple may bold, but they also want to make money, not lose it.
post #126 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by december View Post

When I was reading your post, I was agreeing with you more and more. At first I was shocked by the prospect of seeing the iPod nano go, but then again, it wouldn't be the first time Apple replaces their best-selling product with something even more awesome (and even better-selling ).

Simply adding a basic phone functionality to the iPod nano makes sense. The additional GSM chipset really shouldn't be that expensive (I think $30 is a bit much; Mel?) and neither should it be too big or power-hungry to fit in a slightly revised / thicker iPod nano enclosure. And, as you said, sell them un-locked, worldwide. Just insert your SIM and you're good to go.

Even if the GSM chipset cost $15, it would add $30 to the final cost. It is also two chips, one fairly large by Nano standards. There are other chips involved in phones as well. It would almost double the electronics in the device. Then you need a better (larger, more expensive) battery, a place for the antenna, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Sources: Apple set to grow iPhone family pre-holidays