or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › What do you want to see in the first firmware update?

What do you want to see in the first firmware update?

post #1 of 43
I was reading through a thread like this on another forum, and I figured it would be nice to see what people thought over here

For me:
MMS
Multiple recipient SMS
copy/paste
Different signatures for each email account
Mac Pro Dual Quad-Core 3GHz, 9GB RAM, 150GB Raptor, 3 x 500GB, Dual 24" Dell LCD's, MOTU Traveler, Dual LSR4328P
iMac G5 20"
Powerbook G4 15", 1.67GHz, 1.5GB RAM
iPhone 8GB
iPod Video 30GB, Black
Mac Pro Dual Quad-Core 3GHz, 9GB RAM, 150GB Raptor, 3 x 500GB, Dual 24" Dell LCD's, MOTU Traveler, Dual LSR4328P
iMac G5 20"
iPhone 8GB
iPod Video 30GB, Black
post #2 of 43
Mail fixes; improved replying and bug fixes.

Landscape keyboard in more apps.

Chat support starting with AIM & Jabber. Maybe even Google.

Some solution for copy/paste. Maybe tap and hold on selected text will bring up an edit box.

Flash support.

More widget like apps, like the unit converter, a movie time and location widget, yellow and white pages app.

Games app that lets you download games from Apple and load them to your iPhone via iTunes.

Better Bluetooth peripheral support.

Exchange/Notes Support (including calendar and contacts).
post #3 of 43
I just like to see a bit more stability when using Safari or Google Maps along with the iPod function. Mine jumps back to the home screen every once in a while.

The ability to delete recent calls one at a time would be nice, too.
post #4 of 43
Caps lock. Hello.

Copy and paste. Come on Apple, really.

Multiple SMS recipients.

Canned SMS messages and an ability to add others (like the Treo).

SMS Emoticons.

MMS.

Fandango widget.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #5 of 43
There are many things I want – but I do know, the more variables added to a system, the more chance for errors there are. With this said – this is the MINIMUM needed in my opinion

1. Fix the Screen poka-dots , where ‘7 series’ screens have a grid of faint dots
2. Basic Bluetooth support: Its pathetic reading on Apple and in OS X all the things Bluetooth can do with cell phones, but Apples own cell phone, basically cripples it.
3. Copy, paste and link forwarding in email.
4. Creation of rich email….come on, the last time I used email like this was AOL in 2000.
5. Sundry bug fixes (e.g. browser crashs)
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
post #6 of 43
Landscape Keyboard
Instant Messaging

The following requests I'm not sure would be a firmware fix or if can only be remedied via new hardware:

Louder speaker......I miss phone calls frequently. The external speaker is plenty loud enough for iPod playback but I can barely hear the phone ring and/or callers via the speaker.

Voice Dial.........I mean, this IS 2007......right?
post #7 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

Caps lock. Hello.

Isn't it already possible after changing the setting?

Although why anyone would want it is beyond me.
post #8 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkarl View Post

DON'T YOU LIKE CAP LOCK?!
post #9 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomster1300

The following requests I'm not sure would be a firmware fix or if can only be remedied via new hardware:

Louder speaker......I miss phone calls frequently. The external speaker is plenty loud enough for iPod playback but I can barely hear the phone ring and/or callers via the speaker.

Voice Dial.........I mean, this IS 2007......right?

No new hardware needed for these, all are software/firmware fixable.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #10 of 43
Here is my list of improvement suggestions

1. The ability to delete and clear individul recent phone calls
2. The To Do list is critical for business
3. A "Find" feature for contacts instead of constant scrolls
4. Better Bluetooth Features
5. Louder Ringing - I cannot hear it in loud places and I miss calls.. (Frustrating)
6. Allow Ringtones from Itunes
7. Landscape ability on all features.

I love the phone but several improvements are needed.
post #11 of 43
My iPhone wish list:

Microsoft Exchange support (besides IMAP). RPC/DAV/ActiveSync?
Cut/Copy/Paste functionality!!!
SSL VPN client
SSH client
ARD VNC & RDC
MMS
Java/Flash support
.Mac integration
SlingPlayer client
Custom ring tones
VOIP
BCC field in Mail
GPS support
iTunes Music Store
Native iChat app (Yahoo, AIM etc)
Voice dial
Bluetooth sync with iTunes
Local file system browser
Video recording
Tethering via BT
Native disk mode
WPA support for Wi-fi
To-do list app
Bonjour sharing maybe
SDK - DUH!
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
post #12 of 43
For the love of god dstranathan, were talking about first software update not the next iPhone.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
post #13 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

For the love of god dstranathan, were talking about first software update not the next iPhone.

Hahaha...now I forgot what I was going to list.

Oh yeah, Video Recording option, copy/paste, iChat, and freakin mp3s as ringtones. Or even songs that we've purchased from iTunes.
Don't click here, addictions may follow!

16GB iPhone 4 - Black
16GB iPad
2ghz Intel Macbook
1.6Ghz Intel Mini
Don't click here, addictions may follow!

16GB iPhone 4 - Black
16GB iPad
2ghz Intel Macbook
1.6Ghz Intel Mini
post #14 of 43
Quote:

You don't type acronyms in all caps?
post #15 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstranathan View Post

My iPhone wish list:

SSL VPN client
SSH client
ARD VNC & RDC
MMS
Java/Flash support
.Mac integration
SlingPlayer client
Custom ring tones
VOIP
BCC field in Mail
GPS support
iTunes Music Store
Voice dial
Video recording
Tethering via BT
Native disk mode
WPA support for Wi-fi
To-do list app
Bonjour sharing maybe
SDK - DUH!

Great list! All are possible technically, except GPS, I think.
post #16 of 43
Quote:

My iPhone wish list:
Custom ring tones
VOIP

And deprive the fat cat CEO at AT&T of millions every months in fees ?!?!

Quote:

My iPhone wish list:
WPA support for Wi-fi

MacInTouch said it can do WPA and WPA2. Can they do it but w/ issues or can they not? I don't encrypt since signal stealing is not an issue for me (live in the middle of a quarter section surrounded by trees)

Quote:

My iPhone wish list:
SDK - DUH!

Did you not get the memo - Steve has given us a sweet solution that relegates SDK's to the trash-bin of history.
post #17 of 43
Bug fixes

Ability to see track / podcast info

Preference to NOT have podcasts show up in album lists

(including coverflow - it looks stupid seeing the amateurish or non-existent cover art of a podcast right next to a classic album cover)

Todos in Calendar

Notes syncing to *somewhere* (though I suspect they're keeping this for Leopard's Mail)

Ability to add photo from a web page to Photos

Multi-delete ability in Mail
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacillus View Post

MacInTouch said it can do WPA and WPA2. Can they do it but w/ issues or can they not? I don't encrypt since signal stealing is not an issue for me (live in the middle of a quarter section surrounded by trees)

I've got my iPhone working with WPA both at my house and my business
iMac G5 20"
iPhone 8GB
iPod Video 30GB, Black
iMac G5 20"
iPhone 8GB
iPod Video 30GB, Black
post #19 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

I do, but I seem to recall that the phone corrects them to all caps.

Things like LOL or RFID or CIA or FBI or NSA or FEMA.

(and no, my windows are not lined with tin foil)
post #20 of 43
Quote:

I do, but I seem to recall that the phone corrects them to all caps.

Things like LOL or RFID or CIA or FBI or NSA or FEMA.

Actually, only FEMA is an acronym. The rest of the terms listed (e.g. FBI) are initialisms.
post #21 of 43
Quote:

post #22 of 43
I was just thinking of another...

the ability to sign into youtube, and rate the videos from your phone
iMac G5 20"
iPhone 8GB
iPod Video 30GB, Black
iMac G5 20"
iPhone 8GB
iPod Video 30GB, Black
post #23 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacillus View Post

Actually, only FEMA is an acronym. The rest of the terms listed (e.g. FBI) are initialisms.

OK, I stand corrected.
post #24 of 43
Things I really want to see in an update:
1. LOUDER RINGER!!!!!!
2. Use any sound or song as a ringtone.(From iTunes or whatnot)
3. Copy/Paste Feature
4. Quicktime to play videos from yahoo movies and such
5. A built in shaver for those days when you're just feeling a bit bristly.
post #25 of 43
Quote:
Quicktime to play videos from yahoo movies and such

It can, the video has to be of a small size and bit rate.
post #26 of 43
I would like to be able to have a week view in the cal & possibly be able to view in landscape.

Agree re - cut & paste, itunes ring tones, to do list, syncing of notes, able to add invites to cal from an email.
post #27 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

It can, the video has to be of a small size and bit rate.

I ALWAYS get an error saying "Safari cannot download this file." I have yet to find a video that it CAN play with exception of youtube.
post #28 of 43
it can play quicktime movies from apple.com
post #29 of 43
Quote:
I ALWAYS get an error saying "Safari cannot download this file." I have yet to find a video that it CAN play with exception of youtube.

Apple movie trailers.

Apple trailer that plays on iPhone

Encoding H.264
Pixels Size 320x130
Data Size 4.38MB
Data Rate 332.03 kbps

480P video on Yahoo Movies:

Encoding H.264
Pixel Size 853x362
Data Size 31.09MB
Data Rate 2.8 Mbps
post #30 of 43
I want to be able to sync files (.pdf) from my mac onto my iPhone, and then be able to view them on the phone.
And DON'T tell me I can just eMail them to myself and then wait for a 300MB pdf to download first (over EDGE) everytime i want to view it

... and ringtones from my own library.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #31 of 43
One wonders about the age of some of the posters on this forum who become so irate that anyone could possibly point out significant deficiencies in the iPhone. It's as if someone dissed their favorite boy band.

The iPhone is a fun, wonderful gadget that nevertheless has some very significant deficiencies as a phone & messaging device. I am very hopeful they are addressed with a firmware update. Unlike any other mobile phone I have owned, I am unable to text mulitiple parties simultaneously or copy/forward elements of a text (or email where supported) to a third party. This is ridiculous, but one I think should be easily fixed with the first firmware update although I am stunned it was released without it to be honest.
Everyone I know texts, and everyone I know text multiple recipients with one message regularly.

I have yet to hear my iPhone ringing when walking in Manhattan. I have not had that problem with other phones. Vibration mode is not strong enough but the ringer is truly deficient, and the speaker volume must rank up there with the worst I have encountered on a mobile phone. Not sure if a firmware update can address this but live in hope.

It seems Apple will be slow in addressing user issues, but if pened up to the creativity of 3rd parties, the iPhone could be a phenomenal device capable of meeting every esoteric need. Unfortunately, I dont think this will happen anytime soon, but texts messaging should be.
post #32 of 43
Some very basic cell phone functions need improvement. This is it's primary function after all...

What I would like to see most is an INCOMING / OUTGOING call display.
While the "recents" is quite beautiful, it is not very useful and damn confusing when attempting to check which particular phone number you dialed, which leads me to.....

A proper ADDRESS BOOK applet -- I find that I am often mis-dialing / emailing / texting people. Comic example of the day: I texted two messages to my buddy that i intended for my girlfriend. I often misdial my girlfriend's home phone vs. cell phone. 'Favorites' and 'Contacts' are not the most intuitive (or optimal) user interface functions.

Multiple recipient SMS is needed ASAP

All criticisms aside, the phone is phenomenal
post #33 of 43
Quote:
I am very hopeful they are addressed with a firmware update. Unlike any other mobile phone I have owned, I am unable to text mulitiple parties simultaneously or copy/forward elements of a text (or email where supported) to a third party. This is ridiculous,

Well it can be easily debated how important is such a feature to call its absence ridiculous. I was never a hardcore texter so the ability to send multiple texts is not important to me, but I can see how it could be useful as a novel feature.

Quote:
I texted two messages to my buddy that i intended for my girlfriend. I often misdial my girlfriend's home phone vs. cell phone.

I am curious as to how did you do this? To initiate a text you have to go into the specific contact. Or in the text app itself you type the name of the person you want to text. And at the top of every text conversation it clearly says the name or phone number of the person you are texting.

I don't mean to come off indignant. But I'm not sure what Apple can do to solve not paying attention.
post #34 of 43
Quote:

My iPhone wish list:

SSL VPN client
SSH client
ARD VNC & RDC
MMS
Java/Flash support
.Mac integration
SlingPlayer client
Custom ring tones
VOIP
BCC field in Mail
GPS support
iTunes Music Store
Voice dial
Video recording
Tethering via BT
Native disk mode
WPA support for Wi-fi
To-do list app
Bonjour sharing maybe
SDK - DUH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Great list! All are possible technically, except GPS, I think.

Even that wouldn't need a hardware update if it allowed GPS reception from a Bluetooth receiver.

All of the above are much needed in my opinion. Saying that, I'll still be buying one when the come to the UK, even if they have no additional features over the current version!
post #35 of 43
Firmware update wishlist.

Bugfixes.

iPhone OS:
Home-screen - drag-n-drop reordering
File manager with Leopard CoverFlow and QuickLook
Cut-Copy-Pasting
Expose window switching
Spotlight Searching
Get rid of the rolodex/dial interface and replace with something better
USB drive option
SDK

(Essentially start turning the iPhone into a Mac OS X computer. Would really require 256 MB of RAM so probably won't happen until iPhone gen 2)

Phone app:
Keyboard based contact search
Call log

Safari:
Flash (2 minds about this; wonderful for embedded flash movies, horrible for adds and those stupid movie websites)

Camera:
Image stabilization
Video recording at 480x300 H.264

Games:
Have a few

Calculator:
Scientific option

Notes:
Sync with Outlook, blah blah

Text:
Instant messaging option

You can go on and on and on.
post #36 of 43
And waht did we get? Sweet Fuck all feature issues addressed in new firmware,... Feel like returning the phone. Will check to see if I can. No, I mean, no new features from what I can tell. Some bug fixes. No ability to text ,multiple recipients and still volume issues.
post #37 of 43
shee-oot, i just realized that the damn thing won't play HD podcasts, the same ones that the Apple TV plays. WTH is up with that. bah. I say if they play on the Apple TV they should play on the stupid phone. H.264 should scale, right?

add this to the wishlist.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #38 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

shee-oot, i just realized that the damn thing won't play HD podcasts, the same ones that the Apple TV plays. WTH is up with that. bah. I say if they play on the Apple TV they should play on the stupid phone. H.264 should scale, right?

add this to the wishlist.

MISSED CALL/TEXT MESSAGE REMINDER BEEPS/VIBRATIONS!!!
post #39 of 43
Quote:
And waht did we get? Sweet Fuck all feature issues addressed in new firmware,... Feel like returning the phone. Will check to see if I can. No, I mean, no new features from what I can tell. Some bug fixes

You think Apple should be more concerned with new apps over fixing security holes and bugs in the current apps?

Quote:
i just realized that the damn thing won't play HD podcasts

Not sure if you are joking or not, lets hope you are. Processing HD is beyond the ability of the hardware in the phone and if it could you would never see the difference on a 3 inch screen.
post #40 of 43
Quote:
i just realized that the damn thing won't play HD podcasts

Yeah, and I still can't run CS3 on my iPhone either. I really wanted to work on some Desktop Publishing jobs while skydiving. What a rip.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › What do you want to see in the first firmware update?