or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › safari problem with hotmail and facebook

safari problem with hotmail and facebook

post #1 of 14
hey all,

im having a problem with safari (2.whatever but its upto date) in that it wont let me log into my hotmail or facebook accounts. with hotmail i get this:

"Safari cant connect to the server.
Safari cant open the page https://login.live.com/ppsecure/............. because it could not connect to the server login.live.com."

and its pretty much the same with facebook:

Safari cant connect to the server.
Safari cant open the page https://login.facebook.com/login.php.. because it could not connect to the server login.facebook.com.

i can live without facebook but i need hotmail. does anyone know if there is anything i can do at my end to get rid of this problem? or will i have to take it up with M$/facebook?

thanks for any response
"i find that if you keep talkin', your mouth comes up with stuff..." Karl Pilkington
"i find that if you keep talkin', your mouth comes up with stuff..." Karl Pilkington
post #2 of 14
I've no problem with hotmail. Although I'm a Camino user I just logged into hotmail with my Safari browser and checked my email.

Don't know about facebook.
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I've no problem with hotmail. Although I'm a Camino user I just logged into hotmail with my Safari browser and checked my email.

Don't know about facebook.

good thinking, just tried with firefox but got another error message. think it might be something to do with my isp or something.

cheers
post #4 of 14
camino rocks....i tried safari for awhile, but too many sites don't work with it
post #5 of 14
use .mac for email

screw microcrap
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by austintx05 View Post

use .mac for email

screw microcrap

or not lol ive got too many contacts to mess around with. plus you have to pay for it. which, for someone with bugger all money, isnt a good thing. hotmails' ok though, even if it is from ms.
post #7 of 14
If you're on a school network, they probably block Hotmail and Facebook. It's not a problem with Safari.
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by teedoff087 View Post

If you're on a school network, they probably block Hotmail and Facebook. It's not a problem with Safari.

nope left school 4 months ago mate lol
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaynham View Post

or not lol ive got too many contacts to mess around with. plus you have to pay for it. which, for someone with bugger all money, isnt a good thing. hotmails' ok though, even if it is from ms.

Yeah hotmail is ok. I've been thinking of switching to gmail, but inertia has kept me from doing so.
post #10 of 14
dont worry, all sorted now. cheers for all the responses though
post #11 of 14
I am having the same exact problem with my safari. My facebook will not allow me to login with any address. When I emailed facebook to alert them of the problem, someone responded by saying that they knew of the problem I was facing and were "working on it". I have no idea what I can do about this. It seems to be a problem on my Mac, because my it works on my sister's and on a PC. How did you get yours to work?
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristen7673 View Post

I am having the same exact problem with my safari. My facebook will not allow me to login with any address. When I emailed facebook to alert them of the problem, someone responded by saying that they knew of the problem I was facing and were "working on it". I have no idea what I can do about this. It seems to be a problem on my Mac, because my it works on my sister's and on a PC. How did you get yours to work?

i dont know, it just started working again. sorry i cant be of any help.
post #13 of 14
thats ok... hopefully mine will be working again too =]
let me know if you ever find out how to fix it!
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaynham View Post

hey all,

im having a problem with safari (2.whatever but its upto date) in that it wont let me log into my hotmail or facebook accounts. with hotmail i get this:

"Safari cant connect to the server.
Safari cant open the page https://login.live.com/ppsecure/............. because it could not connect to the server login.live.com."

and its pretty much the same with facebook:

Safari cant connect to the server.
Safari cant open the page https://login.facebook.com/login.php.. because it could not connect to the server login.facebook.com.

i can live without facebook but i need hotmail. does anyone know if there is anything i can do at my end to get rid of this problem? or will i have to take it up with M$/facebook?

thanks for any response

This is a generic error message, usually meaning that somehow an ACK or SYN/ACK packet got dropped somewhere after the initial handshake. Specifically, Safari found the server, but can't seem to get the page off of it.

I've seen it occasionally, and a quick refresh or a reload brings on the page.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › safari problem with hotmail and facebook