or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Purported photos of new iMac keyboard stir debate

Purported photos of new iMac keyboard stir debate

post #1 of 245
Photos of an ultra-thin Apple keyboard have surfaced on the web, stirring considerable debate, as they appear match AppleInsider's earlier description of a next-generation iMac keyboard.

The photos first appeared on this flickr account and have since been widely syndicated across the web. One photo reveals that the new keyboard, which appears to be a pre-production unit, carries the codename "M89."

Historically, Apple has used an "M" prefix to reference peripherals that are under development and a "Q" prefix for computer systems. For example, the company's original Mighty Mouse design was frequently referred to as "M18" prior to its release.

Earlier this month, AppleInsider exclusively reported that Apple's upcoming makeover to the iMac line would include new super-slim external keyboards.

Sources familiar with the matter had said the new peripheral would sport an aesthetic and feel similar to the low-profile keyboards used in Apple's 13-inch MacBook notebooks.

Apple is widely expected to take the wraps off its next-generation iMacs in the coming weeks. For more on what to expect from the new systems, please see AppleInsider's previous coverage:

1) Apple's next-generation iMacs to add a touch of grace
2) Poor bets placed on new iMacs at Apple's developer conference
3) Apple's iMac overhaul tracking for mid-to-late summer
4) Next-gen iMacs to bundle new Apple keyboard

Apple's Current MacBook Keyboard (for comparrison)

post #2 of 245
Hrm. I'm thinking 'prototype'.

Interesting, though. I don't doubt it'll be something like that.
post #3 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

The radius around the corners is too round compared with the actual keys, which to me, suggests that they are fake.

Is not that about the same as the Mabook keys? It could be the real thing. Well, we wait and see if Apple jumps on them. And in the meantime, someone please save those pictures for later reference.
post #4 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB View Post

Is not that about the same as the Mabook keys? It could be the real thing. Well, we wait and see if Apple jumps on them. And in the meantime, someone please save those pictures for later reference.

Yeah, looking through the gallery, I'm almost positive that it's legitimate. It probably is, though, a prototype unit, given that the materials and designers are listed on the sticker and there's another that says 'Not cosmetic unit'.
post #5 of 245
It's Hot.

I wonder what F3 and F4 are about? expose/monitor shifting and sleep respectively?

EDIT: Wired via USB?? (And I think the F4 might be Timemachine)

The new iMac is going to look sexy...
Good for <del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks
<del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks for Good
post #6 of 245
I am thinking definitely legit! This thing has "Apple" written all over it both literally (see pictures of the back) but also in style and design. Apple's design always tries to combine esthetics with function - just look at the keyboard "stand" in the back that raises the keyboard to a level of comfort - it's not some piece of plastic like on the G3/G4/G5/Current iMac keyboards - the stand is the USB extension port (both sides, I am assuming).

Also, if you look really close at the close up shot of the keys themselves, it looks like there is a bit of depth to the lettering in the middle of the keys - which makes me think that these keys could, in fact, be backlit. The lettering looks as if light could shine throughlike the MBP, and not that they were just painted on like with the previous stand apple keyboard.

Lastly, I am less sure about this one, but I cannot tell if there if a band of light coming from the underside of the keyboard to illuminate the desktop a little or not. I can't tell from the pictures if it is glare, or focused light coming from the keyboard stand in the direction of the front of the keyboard on the underside.

Summary:
- Incorporated stand/USM ports
- Backlit keys
- "Ground Effects" (for lack of a better term).

All in all, this thing looks sweet. Thoughts?
Crentist?! That sounds an awful lot like *dentist.*
Maybe thats why he wanted to be a dentist!
Crentist?! That sounds an awful lot like *dentist.*
Maybe thats why he wanted to be a dentist!
post #7 of 245
I'm feeling the keyboard
post #8 of 245
.... but... but... where is the on the command key?

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard
AppleOutsider
Hope Springs Eternal,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
Hope Springs Eternal,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
post #9 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by crentist View Post

- Backlit keys

Good catch! Especially in the arrow keys. I hope it's so.

Quote:

- "Ground Effects" (for lack of a better term).

Hope not!
post #10 of 245
Quote:

- Backlit keys

Sorry, not seeing it. I zoomed way in and then compared it to my MacBook keyboard. Looks about the same. As much as I'd love backlit keys, I don't think they're in here.
post #11 of 245
I like the general look of it.

I like the expose and dashboard dedicated keys.

Don't like the new position of the eject key. In the corner i always knew where it was. It may just take some time getting used to it.

Finally the order of the mute, volume down, volume up keys make sense!

Media keys are cool. Hope it works with Quicktime, iMovie, and iTunes.

Up to F19? I think those would better be used as dedicated Expose/Spaces/Dashboard keys.
post #12 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloss View Post

Sorry, not seeing it. I zoomed way in and then compared it to my MacBook keyboard. Looks about the same. As much as I'd love backlit keys, I don't think they're in here.

You know, a backlit keyboard was for a long time a wet dream of many people here and elsewhere, but Apple seems to think otherwise. From the beginning Apple let people understand that even the 12" Powerbook (a Pro model) does not deserves it.
post #13 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandricard View Post

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard
AppleOutsider

It is called "command" now. Literally.
post #14 of 245
Here's hoping that the wireless version has a lithium-ion battery and is USB chargeable. If the PS3 controller can do that (with a huge battery life, no less) for a $60 cost then surely a keyboard can too.
post #15 of 245
Quote:

You know, a backlit keyboard was for a long time a wet dream of many people here and elsewhere, but Apple seems to think otherwise. From the beginning Apple let people understand that even the 12" Powerbook (a Pro model) does not deserves it.

You phrased this sentence in a very strange way.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #16 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You phrased this sentence in a very strange way.

What's wrong?
post #17 of 245
Quote:

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard
AppleOutsider

I know. First they deep six the similing Mac start-up and now this. Very sad.
post #18 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiB View Post

I know. First they deep six the similing Mac start-up and now this. Very sad.

Or a clear sign of a fake?
post #19 of 245
Quote:

Windows users like Mac keyboard too - I'm guessing that's why they've used printed names on the pgup/down, home/end.

This keyboard looks absolutely amazing to me. The only thing that immediately puts me off is the fn-key. We're not laptop users so why force us to use a hotkey? Since I doubt most people use the f-keys as function keys anyway, my guess is they'll make it so that it controls volume etc by default and using the fn-key will mean activating e.g an f11 keypress.

But now Expose or Dashboard is on F3?? This will take some getting used to.

Also what is up with the two delete keys? One is backspace. Now people are going to think they do the same thing. The support lines will be 'but I am pressing the delete key', 'no, the other delete key'.

And moving the USB ports again. First they were on the side, then in the middle now on the side again. I actually got used to them being in the middle.

My biggest concern is weight really. I sit it on my lap so I like a feather-weight keyboard. The old Apple keyboard weighed a freakin' ton.

Also, this had better get onto the front page and in red letters. Not only is this confirmation of the existence of the device, there are pictures of it. You can't get better than that for a confirmed rumor and it also hints at us nearing iMac release because the keyboards go with the machine and they look ready to ship. The metallic look also increases the likelihood of metal iMacs.
post #20 of 245
post #21 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Also, this had better get onto the front page and in red letters. Not only is this confirmation of the existence of the device, there are pictures of it. You can't get better than that for a confirmed rumor and it also hints at us nearing iMac release because the keyboards go with the machine and they look ready to ship. The metallic look also increases the likelihood of metal iMacs.

Although it is particularly convincing, it could be fake after all as the pictures are still up.
post #22 of 245
It may be real after all. The original flickr copies of the pictures are not anymore available, while they were earlier today! How Engadget escaped?
post #23 of 245
Quote:

Although it is particularly convincing, it could be fake after all as the pictures are still up.

They only take down fake stuff, like those ridiculous iPod UI videos

I think this is real, and I think Apple is telling the secrets.
post #24 of 245
Quote:

They only take down fake stuff, like those ridiculous iPod UI videos

You are joking of course. Apple could have a hard time if it does this.
post #25 of 245
Quote:

It may be real after all. The original flickr copies of the pictures are not anymore available, while they were earlier today! How Engadget escaped?

If they weren't real, do you really think someone would go to this much trouble, by actually making the keyboard? I highly doubt it.
post #26 of 245
Quote:

If they weren't real, do you really think someone would go to this much trouble, by actually making the keyboard? I highly doubt it.

You never know. But as I said I find the pictures very convincing.
post #27 of 245
I have my "fist fulla dollars" and ready to buy it. Just waiting for it to hit the shelves.

24" iMac, 2 MB Pros, iPad Version 1, 2 x (iPhone 4s), Apple TV 3, a Shuffle and a couple of iTouches somewhere in the house. Spot on wall reserved for an Apple TV of some description. Oh yeah..and...

24" iMac, 2 MB Pros, iPad Version 1, 2 x (iPhone 4s), Apple TV 3, a Shuffle and a couple of iTouches somewhere in the house. Spot on wall reserved for an Apple TV of some description. Oh yeah..and...

post #28 of 245
Quote:

You are joking of course. Apple could have a hard time if it does this.

Of course I'm joking. The reason they aren't taking down these, is because they planted the seed.
post #29 of 245
It looks pretty sweet, but in the edge-on photo you can already see one of the keys at a slightly different angle than the others. That doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about this keyboard's long-term durability.
post #30 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post

It looks pretty sweet, but in the edge-on photo you can already see one of the keys at a slightly different angle than the others. That doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about this keyboard's long-term durability.

This is a test unit if I am not mistaken.
post #31 of 245
My typing sucks whatever I use, I need a Wi-Fi connection into my brain so I can 'think type' ...
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #32 of 245
Pretty considerable debate going on here...

More to the point, I'm not so sure how much I like the location change of the esc/volume keys. I like them where they are now, plus it's just more function keys that can't be used (without remap anyways) for expose and dashboard.
post #33 of 245
very nice! I'm not sure how comfortable it would be to type on though. Who really likes laptop keyboards more than regular ones?
post #34 of 245
Quote:

The reason they aren't taking down these, is because they planted the seed.

What do you mean?
post #35 of 245
Is it, or are the pic's gone?

Edit: wow they took a while to load....
15.4" 2.33 GHz MacBook Pro
16GB iPhone
80 Gig Black Ipod
15.4" 2.33 GHz MacBook Pro
16GB iPhone
80 Gig Black Ipod
post #36 of 245
The current one isn't perfect by any means but I don't like the laptop type keys at all. By its very nature the laptop keyboard is a compromise between compactness and ergonomics, why adopt that design for uses that don't demand such a compromise? I think I hear the siren call of cost savings behind this design choice.
post #37 of 245
That is, if Apple makes that choice.
post #38 of 245
Whether or not it is called "command key," I think it makes no sense to remove ALL visible apple-branding from the top of the KB. I think this is not a production unit... if real at all.

though it does look super-cool!

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard
AppleOutsider

No visible logo:

Hope Springs Eternal,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
Hope Springs Eternal,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
post #39 of 245
like the giant iphones - 1m height? oh, wait...

(prolly don't want to use a scaled drafting ruler next time, guys. you must have really been in a rush to grab photos...)
post #40 of 245
So you take someone else's photos and watermark them with your logo? How professional.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Purported photos of new iMac keyboard stir debate