or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone as Data connection?

iPhone as Data connection?

post #1 of 5
Is it possible to use the data connection on the iPhone to view the web on your laptop? I understand it would still be slow, but it would be nice to be able to log into my schools website to do online assignments from the road. I do not see any option to do this. I have a MacBook if that helps. Thanks for any answers.
post #2 of 5
There is a hack out there to do this, but it does not work for everything, and it is not easy to apply. So the easy answer is "no", but there is a difficult answer if you dig enough for it.
post #3 of 5
I don't want to do something too difficult. I hope they will just add the feature in leopard, but I'm not sure AT&T's network could handle it anyway. Thanks for the reply.
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_11 View Post

I don't want to do something too difficult. I hope they will just add the feature in leopard, but I'm not sure AT&T's network could handle it anyway. Thanks for the reply.

The TOS forbids this, except for specific plans. The caps are from ATT, so don't blame me

FURTHERMORE, UNLIMITED PLANS (EXCEPT FOR DATACONNECT AND BLACKBERRY TETHERED) CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY APPLICATIONS THAT TETHER THE DEVICE (THROUGH USE OF, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, CONNECTION KITS, OTHER PHONE/PDA-TO-COMPUTER ACCESSORIES, BLUETOOTH® OR ANY OTHER WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY) TO LAPTOPS, PCS, OR OTHER EQUIPMENT FOR ANY PURPOSE

With that said, there are two ways I've seen. 1. Using SSH to do it Link and 2. Using your SIM card with another EDGE capable phone (e.g. a Blackjack) that can tether.
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
post #5 of 5
I wonder how much data it would take for AT&T to declare abuse?

At 100-150kbps, it would take a while to get more than a few hundred MBs, but certainly possible to clog their network with downloading.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone as Data connection?