or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to host Mac event next Tuesday

Apple to host Mac event next Tuesday

post #1 of 557
Apple Inc. is gathering analysts and members of the media for a Mac-related press event to be held at the company's headquarters in Cupertino on Tuesday, August 7th, AppleInsider has been told.

Unlike past events in which the company drafted and issued digital invitations through e-mail, word of next week's event was initially spread Tuesday afternoon via phone calls from Apple's media relations personnel.

AppleInsider was told, and Gizmodo confirms, that the event will be restricted exclusively to Mac announcements. In speaking to journalists by phone, Apple representatives were reportedly very clear in expressing that no iPhone or iPod product announcements were in the cards.

The event will begin at 10:00 am PDT at the Apple Town Hall on the company's Cupertino-based campus -- the same venue used for the introduction of the Intel-based Mac mini and iPod Hi-Fi last February. Once again, seating is said to be extremely limited.

Apple chief executive Steve Jobs is widely expected to use the gathering to take the wraps off a new generation of 20- and 24-inch iMacs, which were first detailed back in March and later pinpointed for a release in late-July/early-August. It was also reported by AppleInsider in recent weeks that each new iMac would come bundled with a new super-slim keyboard, purported photos of which subsequently turned up on the web.

Jobs is also more than likely to use Tuesday's event to provide demonstrations of the company's long-awaited iLife '08 and iWork '08 software suites.

The Apple Town Hall Auditorium
post #2 of 557
New iMacs?

Mac mini Pro?

Ultra-portable?

Count-down...no sleep... arghhh...

Where's Suni when we need him?

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #3 of 557
i'm hoping new mac pros
I want to buy a PC, but I can't :/
I want to buy a PC, but I can't :/
post #4 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple Inc. is gathering analysts and members of the media for a Mac-related press event to be held at the company's headquarters in Cupertino on Tuesday, August 7th, AppleInsider has been told.

Confirmed by Jupiter Research's Michael Gartenberg.

Quote:
Just got a call that there's going to be an Apple announcement next Tuesday in Cupertino. Very interesting. I'll be out on the West Coast so I'll be sure to stop by and bring you all the news. Let the speculation begin.
post #5 of 557
New Mac Pros? Why? Theres no need for that. New iMacs and new ultra-portables is what we should be hoping for. And maybe, but almost definetely not, a mid-range tower. New ACDs too probably with integrated iSight. Also a serious revamping of the mac mini or total elimination of it.

also i hear Powerbook G5s should be making there debut too.
post #6 of 557
One of the first questions for any new Mac introduction should be how are those things going to be supported. The sales and marketing people certainly aren't going to be paying any attention to serviceability. Computer salespeople are just like used car salespeople-- they only care about collecting the customer's money and if there are any service issues, just dump it on the technicians. That's what the salespeople at CompUSA, Best Buy and every other store do.
post #7 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by empezar View Post

i'm hoping new mac pros

Ditto.
post #8 of 557
My guess goes for the iMac; possibly the pasture for the Mini, possibly (eh?) a MacBook update. Though, I'd love to see a renewed commitment to the Mini, I'm not convinced Apple cares about it anymore.

Could be some price changes to reflect Intel component pricing as well, but again I'm not holding my breath on that.
post #9 of 557
finallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllllllly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

new iMacs!

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #10 of 557
Great, iWork '08. I just bought iWork '06 last week...

Oh well, life happens.
post #11 of 557
Well, they have to rollover into new lines or kill items in the entire mac line by January so that they meet EnergyStar specs. Might as well start now.
post #12 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by age234 View Post

Great, iWork '08. I just bought iWork '06 last week...

Oh well, life happens.

Seriously? You do realize we are halfway through '07...
post #13 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

Well, I had it preinstalled on my 24" iMac I ordered...

Just kidding, it was on my MacBook. I'm not too bent out of shape about it, though. I can't say I'm surprised.
post #14 of 557
i bet it's to get part of that huge back to school crowd.....
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #15 of 557
it just the product (macs) ready or $10 stock price initiated this Event?, well good to see new iMacs soon.

Leopard coupon and new iMac will be sweet for holiday season.

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #16 of 557
So the big question: will it be iMac only, or some other Mac too?

That the iMac will receive a major overhaul is a given, but, will we see an ultra-portable and/or, dare I say it, a mini-tower?

I'm preparing myself to be disappointed in that it'll be just the iMac.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #17 of 557
I also find it interesting that TODAY of all days, I recieved an APPLE SURVEY regarding the APPLE TV. I bought it the day after it came out. Anybody else get this Survey?

I think we'll see some demonstrations of the new imacs and macbooks (macbook pros), but nothing new will probably be available yet.

I'll hold my breath until then.
post #18 of 557
No new iPod? That sucks ass.

I'm expecting:

*Alu enclosed iMacs.
*Santa Rossa Macbooks.

....................................and hopefully the new iPod G6.
post #19 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

I also find it interesting that TODAY of all days, I recieved an APPLE SURVEY regarding the APPLE TV. I bought it the day after it came out. Anybody else get this Survey?

I think we'll see some demonstrations of the new imacs and macbooks (macbook pros), but nothing new will probably be available yet.

I'll hold my breath until then.

I didn't get the survey. They are going to have to move soon on this, but Steve did describe the Apple TV as a hobby. They really need to get HD video soon to make it a viable platform. They also need to start making some alliances, UTube is OK but it isn't family entertainment and in the long run I don't think that it helps with any demographic other than the 20 somethings. Video Rentals would go a long way as well. However, I don't think that the timing is right for AppleTV announcements yet, September/October would be better to get the news out and keep it fresh in time for the holiday shopping season.

For those that say the Mac Pro is not in need of an update remember that with the exception of the recently added high end tier it is the same computer that was announced last August at the same price points. That isn't to say that I think that they will update it now. I think that the iMac is a better bet. based off of the "silent" upgrades to the Mac line that they have done this year I would not put it past Apple to announce the iMac and either the MacBook or Mini updates at the same time.
post #20 of 557
new imacs, w00t!
post #21 of 557
just in time for back to school.
post #22 of 557
So when will Apple announce a WiFi Hi-Fi and Airport Express-N?
post #23 of 557
This event is for new iMacs, so let's not get ahead of ourselves and even think we'll be getting anything else. If we do then great, but keep a leash on those hopes.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #24 of 557
I am not sure why anyone would expect MacBook updates outside of an ultra-portable, they were just updated. Though this is Apple we are talking about, who just let their flagship products (iMac and iPod) go for 1 year and 2 years (5.5G does not count) without an update.

I hope we see the Mac Mini be upgraded to a Mac (drop any word that means small). I want something cheap, semi powerful, upgradeable and screen less.

The Mac Pro is in desperate need of an update, or at the very least a price drop.

I would love to see HD video rentals, it would give the Apple TV some use and I would maybe pick one up.

Xserves don't really count as "Mac's" but they are due for another update.

Bundling a free update to Leopard with the iMac would really make it sell like hot cakes.

Oh I can't wait!!!!!!!! (even though I am really only in the market for an iPod)
post #25 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by empezar View Post

i'm hoping new mac pros

WTF? No.
post #26 of 557
--BINGO!--
zenga
zenga
post #27 of 557
Wondering what the availablity dates will be ? Thought that they would have pushed the new iMacs up for going to school. Some kids will be heading out the door very soon and maybe mom and dad did not wait and bought them the Acer machine at Futureshop thinking they were doing them a favor...

24" iMac, 2 MB Pros, iPad Version 1, 2 x (iPhone 4s), Apple TV 3, a Shuffle and a couple of iTouches somewhere in the house. Spot on wall reserved for an Apple TV of some description. Oh yeah..and...

24" iMac, 2 MB Pros, iPad Version 1, 2 x (iPhone 4s), Apple TV 3, a Shuffle and a couple of iTouches somewhere in the house. Spot on wall reserved for an Apple TV of some description. Oh yeah..and...

post #28 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

This event is for new iMacs, so let's not get ahead of ourselves and even think we'll be getting anything else. If we do then great, but keep a leash on those hopes.

Apple is a company that leads by its nature. it will soon introduce a new iMac that will define exactly where they are going with their computing "arm" of the business, or at worst hint strongly and guide/push the industry (speed bumps are corporate decisions guided by stock price/share holders!).

the iMac always has been their standard bearer (hardwear realisation of their software goals) of where they want to push the industry, mac mini, mac pro etc is what their customers want "now" cos they know no better!

I hope they take a chance with the iMac, like they did with the original, cos thats how you define markets... point out HOW you should be using your computer not making machines that fulfill todays paradigm!

first post, hi appleinsider!
post #29 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by petera1969 View Post

Apple is a company that leads by its nature. it will soon introduce a new iMac that will define exactly where they are going with their computing "arm" of the business, or at worst hint strongly and guide/push the industry (speed bumps are corporate decisions guided by stock price/share holders!).

the iMac always has been their standard bearer (hardwear realisation of their software goals) of where they want to push the industry, mac mini, mac pro etc is what their customers want "now" cos they know no better!

I hope they take a chance with the iMac, like they did with the original, cos thats how you define markets... point out HOW you should be using your computer not making machines that fulfill todays paradigm!

first post, hi appleinsider!

Hello
post #30 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by petera1969 View Post

i agree... and welcome!
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #31 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

i agree... and welcome!

my fear is that leopard is taking a little long! i kinda saw a hardware/software assault on windows vista and generic pcs that would REALLY give people a reason to switch!

guess we'll have to accept that apple work incrementally, which i do respect, but i admire their balls when they go all out... from day 1, integrated screens, non upgradeable hardware, (phaps memory, they really shoulda realised we want apps to run on our shiney OS) no floppy, crikey no right mouse click by default!!!

lets see what they decide we can live without next!
post #32 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

Introducing "iChihuahua"!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #33 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

introducing... i, Robot
post #34 of 557
Since it's getting close to the 10.5 release date wouldn't one just hold off on the new Mac until the updated OS is available?
post #35 of 557
An ultra-portable with flash memory would be awesome!
post #36 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

sound cool! and i thought iPhone was already the status symbol that will require multi year commitment, that the celebs will pass to their flunkies as soon as the "next" thing comes out!
post #37 of 557
I wonder if some of these products have been developed for some time now, and Apple withholds them until the stock is affected... who knew they'd be introducing new Mac product at this time? It doesn't fit their regular introduction cycle, does it?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #38 of 557
How about 2Gb of RAM in the base configuration instead of only 1Gb. Why do MacBook Pros come with more RAM than Mac Pros? It makes no sense at all.
post #39 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew The Man View Post

An ultra-portable with flash memory would be awesome!

as soon as technology and the market require it!

mac sadly is still niche, when that segment (particularly japan) is financially viable or situations "demand" apple push things that way, it will happen

i have my desires for the now, but i guess i have 2 accept they are a huge corporation that must accommodate a lot of peoples requirements and more importantly have had all these conversations at least 18 months ago!
post #40 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by itgoesforfun View Post

Since it's getting close to the 10.5 release date wouldn't one just hold off on the new Mac until the updated OS is available?

not if new imac buyers are granted a discount on the leopard upgrade!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to host Mac event next Tuesday