or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to host Mac event next Tuesday

Apple to host Mac event next Tuesday - Page 6

post #201 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayaryaan View Post

I realize that many of you Mac nutjobs feel that Apple can do no wrong, but the iPhone was released way too early, and it shows. It crashed my Vista machine due to a KNOWN problem with syncing photos)
the Safari browser crashes constantly, and the email application is a useless piece of garbage.
I've been debating whether to buy the new iMac immediately, or wait until the new O/S arrives. After my experience with the iPhone, I'm thinking I'll wait, but not until the new O/S comes out; I'm going to wait 6 months until the bugs are truly worked out of the O/S. Apple bit a little too much off to get all this done at once, and it shows. You little wankers, wearing your 7 for all mankind jeans and mock turtlenecks, dialing away on your iphones and waiting for the new brushed aluminum iMacs need to GET A LIFE. Apple is just like Microsoft, just with better marketing.

In comparison to what, Outlook?

Which particular known photo syncing bug do you refer to?

I am interested to know also, which particular rev 1. touchscreen phone you might be comparing this to, so as we can all add to our inferior knowledge base.
Shiny Side Up
Shiny Side Up
post #202 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The reason why Apple has a greater ratio of laptop to desktop sales than most other companies isn't because there is just a swing to laptops, but also because Apple's desktop lines aren't as desirable.

Exactly. While the iMac is nice and all, most people don't want all-in-one desktop computers. The Mac Pro is out of reach for most people and the mini seems like a toy. So, while Mac market share grows slightly, it's mostly portables that are selling, making it appear that "everyone" is switching to portables.
post #203 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Exactly. While the iMac is nice and all, most people don't want all-in-one desktop computers. The Mac Pro is out of reach for most people and the mini seems like a toy. So, while Mac market share grows slightly, it's mostly portables that are selling, making it appear that "everyone" is switching to portables.

Many of us have asked for a small tower, but Apple isn't listening.

I sure can't promise that it would make desktop sales soar, but it would help.
post #204 of 557
Quote:

Many of us have asked for a small tower, but Apple isn't listening.

I sure can't promise that it would make desktop sales soar, but it would help.

That's what I would hope for Tuesday, alongside the new iMac; i.e. something in the $900 range that would compare to what you can get on the Windows side for $700. And I think the mini should be kept around (just one model around $599) as a media center and entry level Mac.

All we'll be seeing on Tuesday though is the new iMac and iLife.
post #205 of 557
Quote:

Apple can't become a laptop company. To be taken seriously, they must have both.

What you mean like Toshiba? #5 worldwide isn't it?

Apple will have Mac Pros and XServes a long time given that they've bothered to get Unix 03 certs.

Vinea
post #206 of 557
Quote:

I'm not quite sure what that means. A Pro Mac Pro?

The Mac Pro is at least equal with anything comparable pricewise in the PC world. Those comparisons have already been made.

Yah...there aren't many reasons to get a Dell Precision Workstation over a Mac Pro. Can't think of any really except for some vid cards.

Vinea
post #207 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Apple will have Mac Pros and XServes a long time given that they've bothered to get Unix 03 certs.

Vinea

Yes, Tohiba is mostly laptops, but they can only go so far that way.
post #208 of 557
Quote:

Yah...there aren't many reasons to get a Dell Precision Workstation over a Mac Pro. Can't think of any really except for some vid cards.

Vinea

Video, or properly, graphic cards, are out of the hands of Apple.

The problem there is a matter of sales. small sales means that Apple has to provide their own cards, which other computer companies don't.
post #209 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

Here is the real next gen imac :

????? What is that?
Serving humanity one sarcastic comment at a time.
Serving humanity one sarcastic comment at a time.
post #210 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

????? What is that?

1997 20th Anniversary Macintosh

Ugly isn't it.
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #211 of 557
{Pedant mode ON}

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Personally I think Li'l Bird it a retard, but that's just me.

There is some irony there, no?

{Pedant mode OFF}
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

post #212 of 557
Quote:

As you alluded to, it's mostly laptops selling now because of recent updates. Actually I've been pretty amazed at how popular the mini is (was) with switchers. Sure most use it as a second computer or a toy. But the demand was amazing and probably would pick back up with an update.

...also I'm choosing a new iMac next week over a laptop. And I think most people are not tech-savy (or want to be) and so do want all-in-one machines that 'just work out of the box.'
post #213 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

????? What is that?

As gar said, it is the one that has fired up all these discussions about such or other anniversary Mac the last 1-2 years.

As for being ugly, I don't know, silly fits probably better. But I cannot forget how much I was impressed by its specifications and mostly its design ten years back.
post #214 of 557
Has anyone examined those pictures included in the article? The Apple campus really does look like a crematory It doesn't look like a place where you want to have a cheerfull time. With no windows in the room, I hope it's gonna be a short announcement.

1/ It seems like the days of the Minimac are numbered.

2/ 20" is gonna be the new 17".

3/ I am so much looking fwd to the new 22" iMac. It's just perfect: bigger than 20" (which is slightly too small) and smaller than 24" (which is slightly too big).

4/ To the one who has made the iPhone iMac mock up. Itsa crazy idea, but one that illustrates how the chin problem could be visually resolved without getting rid of the chin. I am not sure if that is the way to go, but it's on my mind now. Dammit!

PS: Also dammit to the one who pointed out the crappy Apple Mail icons! You are right!! They really did a crappy job. Especially the colours are driving me insane! Yes! My Junk bag has the zune Poo colour written all over it

Talking about the Zune. Are they meeting their forecast of selling their one millionth zune by the end of the Summer?
post #215 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB View Post

As gar said, it is the one that has fired up all these discussions about such or other anniversary Mac the last 1-2 years.

As for being ugly, I don't know, silly fits probably better. But I cannot forget how much I was impressed by its specifications and mostly its design ten years back.

I agree; at the time it was released, it was an awesome-looking machine. Just goes to show how much design has changed in a mere decade.

If Apple comes out with a 30th anniversary machine that is a little more reasonably priced than the 20th, I will be the first in line.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #216 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Talking about the Zune. Are they meeting their forecast of selling their one millionth zune by the end of the Summer?

Apparently a short while back they were cheering the one millionth sold..
SHIPPED I says.

post #217 of 557
Quote:

That's what I would hope for Tuesday, alongside the new iMac; i.e. something in the $900 range that would compare to what you can get on the Windows side for $700. And I think the mini should be kept around (just one model around $599) as a media center and entry level Mac.

All we'll be seeing on Tuesday though is the new iMac and iLife.

I agree it would complete the line and it wouldn't bother me if it had to be $1000 or whatever the price of a iMac is without a screen. Oh And I've never understood why people think the iMac is so cool, there hasn't been a cool one since the G4 (I think?), you know they really adjustable one, those were so much fun.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
post #218 of 557
Quote:

With everyone I know It's because of economics not need or want. The fact that people can not afford what they could in the 80's & 90's is affecting their decisions. I don't know anyone that would buy a second laptop because all they do is bitch about it. Which leads me to believe there will be a strong resurgence of desktop sales once again.

I agree. I also believe Apple has something else planned for desktops, what, I don't know.
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
post #219 of 557
Anybody else think the Mac mini will HAVE to be addressed on the 7th? I think one of three things will happen: It'll finally get Core 2 chips, It'll get Core 2 chips AND a redesign, or it'll go bye bye.

Here's hoping it's not the last.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #220 of 557
Quote:

Vinea

This is a false argument and out of place in reference to Apple. It is patently obvious there are many manufacturers of computers of all types that run Windows. There is only one company that produces computers that run Mac OS X. So yes, melgross is correct in this assertion. No way Apple can exist as a laptop computer company and remain in the computer industry, unless of course they license their operating system to other OEMs.
post #221 of 557
Hope the new iMacs look as good as the Sony Desktop Vaio All-in-one.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...tegoryId=30346
ADS
ADS
post #222 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski View Post

Fundamentally, I think that Apple's desktop sales will suffer as long as they don't use desktop chips. The Q6600 and the Q6700 as well as the Q4 Barcelona/Phenom launch will mean that by Jan of 2008, every desktop over about $1000 will be a quad-core or a high-speed (>=2.8 GHz) dual-core. If Apple's still using laptop chips in the Mac Mini and the iMac, then they'll be selling $1200 - $1600 computers with 2.4-2.6 GHz dual-core processors that'll simply get crushed by the competition.

THAT IS SO TRUE!

There are already Q6600 desktops in the $900-$1500 range (bundled with 19 to 22" LCDs) from Acer and HP and certainly others I don't know. Those chips are sick! Inexpensive, powerful, praised by all reviewers. I really hope Apple will make good use of them.

I understand they have this AIO concept so strongly intrenched, and I hope that the new 20/24" iMacs get MacBook Pro-like specs (all of them, Santa Rosa, 2.2/2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 8600GT GPU, FW400+800, even an Expresscard slot) so they would be more attractive (especially if in the $1299-1999 price range).

But if the Mac mini and the 17' iMac are to be gone, please use what's appropriate to entry level/midrange computers. Given the price of E6000/Q6000 chips and chipsets like the G33, Apple could certainly offer a triplet of models in the $499-1299 range!

Moving the iMacs to those heights and releasing new desktops (with new chips, chipset, enclosure) will certainly affect margins, but that's what they forecated for this quarter, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Hope the new iMacs look as good as the Sony Desktop Vaio All-in-one.

I hope they look better.
post #223 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickag View Post

I agree. I also believe Apple has something else planned for desktops, what, I don't know.

My personal thoughts/preference? If the iMac became a lighter-powered convertable. That's right, a desktop-to-portable unit.

There are two ways I could envision this working:

Option A: Give it a "base station" with a nice GPU, HDD, extra RAM, USB ports (for keyboard, mouse and others), optical bay, and a PSU, all sitting on a nice clear acryllic stand. The display detaches (and becomes multi-touch capable (which would obviously not be viable for a 20-24" screen)), the unit complete with mo-board (using integrated graphics), some RAM, 16GB SSD (enough for OSX and some free space), Wi-Fi, and a battery for a good 5 hours of detached life. A good ol' tablet if you will.

Option B: Just a multi-touch detachable display (again, 17" or less), Wi-Fi, and a battery, loaded with enough guts to act as a "remote desktop" interface to the base station.

Out of the two choices, I'd say a bulkier desktop is more likely but I'd love, love, love to have Option B.

mmmmmmmmm detachable display....

Oh, and by the way, I would hunt down and obliterate Johny Ive if he ruined the iMac's keyboard by making it Chicklet-Style. Seriously, there would be a rampage... and then I would buy a 3rd party keyboard.

-Clive
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
post #224 of 557
I've thought about this a little as well. It might make some sense to make the iMac a "portfolio" computer... folds into a compact, easy to carry structure (might even have some hidden when not in use carbon fiber luggage or appliance-like styling touches) that would loosely resemble an artists portfolio case. Perhaps there could be a butterfly cover mechanism on the back of the monitor that would double for keyboard storage... Just thinking out loud.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #225 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I've thought about this a little as well. It might make some sense to make the iMac a "portfolio" computer... folds into a compact, easy to carry structure (might even have some hidden when not in use carbon fiber luggage or appliance-like styling touches) that would loosely resemble an artists portfolio case. Perhaps there could be a butterfly cover mechanism on the back of the monitor that would double for keyboard storage... Just thinking out loud.

People really have little need to move their desktops around. Even a 20" iMac is pushing 18 pounds.

So, you want to move it to another room? No problem for the current models.

You want to take it out of the house?

Get a 17" MBP.
post #226 of 557
Quote:

People really have little need to move their desktops around. Even a 20" iMac is pushing 18 pounds.

Get a 17" MBP.

If we're going to see a radically new, or at least "evolutionary" iMac next week, I would assume we'll see a thinner and lighter form factor. Also, for me personally, I don't like portables. Having keyboard position permanently tied to the monitor is a pain in the neck, and I don't like the feel of any of the portable keyboards. Call me old school.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #227 of 557
Quote:

Get a 17" MBP.

I don't know. A thinner iMac, smaller keyboard, MUCH cheaper than MBP. I could get use to lugging that to a client's office.

.. And if they did have a touch screen I wouldn't have to get so mad when the client puts his greasy fingers on the screen.
post #228 of 557
Quote:

If we're going to see a radically new, or at least "evolutionary" iMac next week, I would assume we'll see a thinner and lighter form factor. Also, for me personally, I don't like portables. Having keyboard position permanently tied to the monitor is a pain in the neck, and I don't like the feel of any of the portable keyboards. Call me old school.

I happen to agree with you.

We have four working Macs in the house on the network, and I'm thinking of using another one for shop tasks.

But, carrying around an iMac, even if it does weigh a pound or two less than the current ones, isn't much of an option for those who really do need portable computing. It's tough to use without a wall outlet.

I'd like a true ultra portable to carry around for use when I'm going somewhere, or sitting in the park relaxing, or some such activity.
post #229 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnusrk727 View Post

I don't know. A thinner iMac, smaller keyboard, MUCH cheaper than MBP. I could get use to lugging that to a client's office.

.. And if they did have a touch screen I wouldn't have to get so mad when the client puts his greasy fingers on the screen.

You THINK you wouldn't mind. What you would do with a 16 pound 20" machine is an entirely different thing.

Don't count on the multi-Touch yet. I'd like to see it, but I don't see it right now, though it would be great if it did appear.
post #230 of 557
At any rate... I'm ready to make the leap into Intel... so I'll most likely get the new iMac.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #231 of 557
Quote:

You THINK you wouldn't mind. What you would do with a 16 pound 20" machine is an entirely different thing.

Don't count on the multi-Touch yet. I'd like to see it, but I don't see it right now, though it would be great if it did appear.

You're probably right on the weight although I can tell you from experience I can haul more than a MBP around. The client I am thinking about has a short walk from car to office. For other clients, maybe with the money saved over a MBP, I could buy the Apple" hand truck" whenever it comes out

Agreed on the mutli-touch. Just throwing in a little wishful thinking there.
post #232 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerapp View Post

They're going to announce the discontinuation of the Mac Mini.

However the recently leaked photos of the thin keyboard are not for the iMac but for a new Mac Pro Cube, basically a Mac Pro but without the expandability and inside a small six-inch cube, powerful enough for gaming and just in time for back-to-school, with a $699 pricetag.

So in other words, its just a renamed Mac mini.
post #233 of 557
Quote:

At any rate... I'm ready to make the leap into Intel... so I'll most likely get the new iMac.

Wait until iTuesday®
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #234 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnusrk727 View Post

You're probably right on the weight although I can tell you from experience I can haul more than a MBP around. The client I am thinking about has a short walk from car to office. For other clients, maybe with the money saved over a MBP, I could buy the Apple" hand truck" whenever it comes out

Agreed on the mutli-touch. Just throwing in a little wishful thinking there.

My anti-gravity plate is a much better idea, and is also much closer to production.
post #235 of 557
My bets:

-New iMacs

With new aluminum case, 1.3 MP iSight, slimmer profile without the "Jay Leno chin"

Four models:
$999
20" display
2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (Santa Rosa)
1 GB RAM
200 GB HD
Combo drive
Intel GMA3000 graphics

$1299
20" display
2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB RAM
200 GB HD
SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce 8600

$1499
24" display
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB RAM
400 GB HD
SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce 8600

$1999
24" display
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB RAM
750 GB HD
Blu-ray Disc drive
NVIDIA GeForce 8600

All models come with new slim aluminum keyboard and new, more clog-resistant aluminum Mighty Mouse

-12" MacBook Pro:

The world's slimmest, lightest full-featured notebook

One model:
1.6 GHz low-voltage Intel Core 2 Duo (Santa Rosa)
2 GB RAM
100 GB hard drive
SuperDrive
Intel GMA3000 graphics
12" LED-backlit widescreen
0.9" thick and under 3 pounds
$1799
post #236 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNtel iNside View Post

My bets:

-New iMacs

With new aluminum case, 1.3 MP iSight, slimmer profile without the "Jay Leno chin"

Four models:
$999
20" display
2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (Santa Rosa)
1 GB RAM
200 GB HD
Combo drive
Intel GMA3000 graphics

$1299
20" display
2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB RAM
200 GB HD
SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce 8600

$1499
24" display
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB RAM
400 GB HD
SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce 8600

$1999
24" display
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB RAM
750 GB HD
Blu-ray Disc drive
NVIDIA GeForce 8600

All models come with new slim aluminum keyboard and new, more clog-resistant aluminum Mighty Mouse

-12" MacBook Pro:

The world's slimmest, lightest full-featured notebook

One model:
1.6 GHz low-voltage Intel Core 2 Duo (Santa Rosa)
2 GB RAM
100 GB hard drive
SuperDrive
Intel GMA3000 graphics
12" LED-backlit widescreen
0.9" thick and under 3 pounds
$1799

Why do people bother to do this?
post #237 of 557
Keep dreaming iNtel. I think the only $999 model will be the old iMac design with a combo drive, and the other two or three models will be the new design in 20 or 24 inches sizes all with Superdrives.
post #238 of 557
Quote:

Why do people bother to do this?

Boredom probably. I'd rather just make a cup of tea wait until Tuesday myself
post #239 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Boredom probably. I'd rather just make a cup of tea wait until Tuesday myself

I like reading predictions. It's a good gauge between what people want in a Mac, and what they think Apple will actually release. It's like a half n half. Half what they want, and half what they think. Mine always are. If I could design my dream Mac Pro, spec wise, it would be far beyond what I actually think Apple will release, but it would be on par, option wise, with an Alienware, or BOXX chassis.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
post #240 of 557
Quote:

I like reading predictions. It's a good gauge between what people want in a Mac, and what they think Apple will actually release. It's like a half n half. Half what they want, and half what they think. Mine always are. If I could design my dream Mac Pro, spec wise, it would be far beyond what I actually think Apple will release, but it would be on par, option wise, with an Alienware, or BOXX chassis.

And would cost much more, which is why you will never see it. The Alienware and BOXX designs that have the "extra's cost much more than the Mac Pro. I looked.

But, it does get tiring to see these posts with a half dozen listings of "who cares" guesses.

It's another thing when someone posts several ideas for one machine.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to host Mac event next Tuesday