or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to host Mac event next Tuesday
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple to host Mac event next Tuesday - Page 10

post #361 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

you are all missing the point.

we need Logic 8 or some new reinvention of Logic Pro and we need it now.


"We" certainly don't need it... How many people on this board do you think are heavy Logic users?
post #362 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I think new iMacs are pretty much certain but I hope for a 30th anniversary Mac that is somewhere along the lines of a cube come-back. After all, why have a whole press event for an iMac case redesign?

There has to be an announcement of some sort.

Mind you they had that silly media event for their Apple TV. If they keep building up hype for what amounts to very little, they are just going to ruin future events.

Apple holds press events to announce updates and new products because the timing of them is unpredictable and Apple wants us to get used to that. With Apple only announcing things at WWDC, MWSF, and NAB people stopped buying their designs in mid year because they would try to wait out the next revision. Apple put an end to the "Event announcement only" theory and has been using these press events more frequently for the past few years because of major mid term sales declines. Press events are not a direct indication of anything out of the ordinary.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #363 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgiants320 View Post

Won't this be the 10th anniversary of the iMac? Don't you think Apple might update the iMac and celebrate it as the machine's 10th anniversary?

After all of those posts, ding ding ding ding ding...
post #364 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidinclusion View Post

After all of those posts, ding ding ding ding ding...

I am no Bob Barker, but you're wrong. The original iMac was released in August 1998, nine years ago. Thanks for playing!
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
post #365 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

"We" certainly don't need it... How many people on this board do you think are heavy Logic users?

Ever heard of tongue and cheek gonad?
post #366 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

Ever heard of tongue and cheek gonad?

No, I haven't. I've only heard of "tongue in cheek".
post #367 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

No, I haven't. I've only heard of "tongue in cheek".

so then that means you have heard of it and you were definitely being a jerkoff.
post #368 of 557
No, it doesn't.
post #369 of 557
One thing I don't get about the iMac is why it uses a laptop processor. I mean we're talking about a computer that has more space to work with than a lot of gaming notebooks that use desktop processors. Even a laptop like this one that uses a Core 2 Quad has far more restricted airflow and space than a properly designed iMac would. The same formfactor iMac that came before the mobile chips uses the G5 processor, which were never known for being particularly cold to the touch.

I really hope Apple decides to use desktop chips with this redesign opportunity. If they used desktop chips they could justify the iMac price if they ever introduce that expandable consumer Mac that everyone wants so dearly. I think it's safe to say that if they introduced a consumer tower [or minitower] now that used desktop chips, it would be a big threat to iMac sales. In overall strategy for the company, mobile chips don't make sense for the iMac. Hopefully Apple sees this too.
I read a lot here, post little.

--------
2.4GHz MacBook Pro
8GB iPod Nano
60GB 5G iPod
Reply
I read a lot here, post little.

--------
2.4GHz MacBook Pro
8GB iPod Nano
60GB 5G iPod
Reply
post #370 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

I am no Bob Barker, but you're wrong. The original iMac was released in August 1998, nine years ago. Thanks for playing!

Hahaha thanks. I'm new here, but it's fun being an Apple fan!
post #371 of 557
Quote:
You mean this one:

Can't figure out how to quote images, but that transparent plastic keyboard mockup is way too cool! Transparent keyboard!! Yay!!
post #372 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myst View Post

One thing I don't get about the iMac is why it uses a laptop processor. I mean we're talking about a computer that has more space to work with than a lot of gaming notebooks that use desktop processors. Even a laptop like this one that uses a Core 2 Quad has far more restricted airflow and space than a properly designed iMac would. The same formfactor iMac that came before the mobile chips uses the G5 processor, which were never known for being particularly cold to the touch.

I really hope Apple decides to use desktop chips with this redesign opportunity. If they used desktop chips they could justify the iMac price if they ever introduce that expandable consumer Mac that everyone wants so dearly. I think it's safe to say that if they introduced a consumer tower [or minitower] now that used desktop chips, it would be a big threat to iMac sales. In overall strategy for the company, mobile chips don't make sense for the iMac. Hopefully Apple sees this too.

Apple has couple of reasons to stay with the mobile version:
  1. It seems that compact design and quiet operation are higher priority for SJ than raw performance. Personaly, I will vote for the quiet operation as well.
  2. This keeps R&D lower - they use the same processor for a wide range of products.
On the other hand, it is important to note that the current design of the iMac was the one that carried Apple trough the Intel transition. May be back then they were pressed by their internal goals and decided to keep with one processor architecture. The mobile Core was also the first one to come out from Intel. Now things have changed.
However, the reports for a thinner and more compact design don't leave much space for hope...
post #373 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myst View Post

One thing I don't get about the iMac is why it uses a laptop processor.

iMac = form over function.

A situation that most iMac users don't seem to mind.

You could also argue that:

Mac Pro = function over form.
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
post #374 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Granted there are people, mostly travelers, who need a laptop, but I see a day coming when they will be made superfluous by other technology - maybe voice recorders, cellphones, iPhones, etc. Think how cool to connect to your home or office remotely and use applications by voice. I believe we're well on the way to that stage. We have all the equipment necessary, buuuuut maybe not yet perfected.

Maybe not 'by voice', but this;

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=76811

could go a long way to making laptops superfluous
post #375 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Samsung shows off flash laptop drive at CeBIT

That long-dreamed-of product, the solid-state laptop, is one step closer to reality, as Samsung is showing off a flash-powered laptop at CeBIT. The demo box uses a 32GB 1.8-inch solid-state drive created by Samsung, to show off the company's flash chops. Unfortunately, at $30 per gigabyte, the 32GB drive would cost over $900. However, with flash prices continuing to decline, and companies like Intel predicting that flash laptops are on their way, we may not have to wait too much longer for this to be feasible -- though, even at over $900, that flash laptop drive sounds mighty tempting.

Except it isn't $900 but $600 and dropping to $300 (Pny and SanDisk).

http://crunchgear.com/2007/06/04/pny...-worth-buying/

Both Toshiba and Samsung have new 2Gb 60nm flash fabs which double flash density while reducing cost. Expect Apple to refresh nanos soon if they follow last year's pattern of releasing new product 3-4 months after Samsung went to mass production on the 1Gb flash.

Vinea
post #376 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumwurzel View Post

How bout a 7200 rpm hard drive that holds more than 160gb?

eSATA via Expresscard. Can you do that with an iMac?

Quote:
How bout better cooling? True, a MBP could be a functional equivalent to an iMac, IF you are willing to turn it into one by purchasing 1.) a docking station 2.) a cinema display 3.) a separate keyboard and mouse (a small expenditure but still an extra step).

Given what I see with Dells I would say yes. If your knowledge workers have some need for mobility and little need for ultra high performance than a Santa Rosa Core 2 Duo is more than sufficient. The incremental cost of a display and keyboard is much less than either 2 desktops or a desktop and laptop.

Quote:
Oh, and let's not forget that feature for feature (excluding mobility, of course) the iMac is far more cost-effective to the consumer. So to summarize, yes, you can make your MBP functionally equivalent to your desktop, provided you are willing to shell out the extra dough for a docking station, display, and keyboard and mouse.

So? We're talking about the viability of Apple going totally mobile...not whether consumers would spend more or less money.

Quote:
First, 20"!? Isn't the point of a laptop mobility? I hardly think lugging around a 20" beast is mobile. Second, to suggest that the MBP out-of-box can serve as a replacement for a Mac Pro - the premier video editing machine - is just deslusional.

Delusional only because you choose to misread the post. Which part of "short of a Mac Pro" is confusing?

Quote:
You make a HUGE assumption in your rationale: "WITH FAST DRIVES." Sure, but those don't exist in laptops, not in large capacity anyway.

I would guess the Dell still uses the 2.5" drive. That's not a hard requirement of a notebook though of that size. Its more luggable than portable anyway and it is pretty much the size of an iMac.

Quote:
The biggest internal hard drive available for the MBP is 250 gb, at 4200rpm! There is a 160gb option at 7200rpm, but that won't last long if you're capturing raw HD. Most video editing stations are equipped with at least 1TB of internal storage, and their hard drives are reading/writing data about 75 times faster than the largest MBP hard drive. No one in their right mind would use a MBP as their PRIMARY workstation to capture raw HD, at least not without a plethora of add ons (cinema, external hard drive, docking station).

See above. Dollar for dollar, feature for feature, the MBP is not a replacement for the iMac.

Well dollar for dollar most PC solutions are far better than the iMac. So what? People say that Apple CANNOT live without the desktops (which I agree if you include the Mac Pro) but the iMac is not a live or die part of thier lineup.

Vinea
post #377 of 557
The iMac only happens to be the fastest selling computer is Apple history.

http://www.apple.com/ca/press/1999/01/iMac_Sales.html

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2001/apr/19imac.html

Desktops are up:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ence_call.html

I think the iMac is a core part of Apple's overall business.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #378 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Vinea, this is getting way too long.

I can't see a reason to respond to every point, because the detail isn't pertinent, and you are ignoring some of the points I've made in that you wash right over them.

The core of the argument is that you cannot replace the current desktop line with just notebooks (ignoring the Mac Pro for the moment). Given that the iMac is a piss poor desktop anyway and more of a notebook with really bad mobility everything else IS details.

Quote:
But, to cut to the chase. You make several assumptions that are only that, assumptions.

You are not taking cost into account at any time. The cost and inconvenience of having to buy a monitor and keyboard/mouse to replace the ones that come with the laptop is a significant outlay. The cost for the non-existent dock will be high as well. We will be paying for a Mac Pro without the advantages. Not cost effective for most.

Only if you accept the premise that mobility is not the trend for knowledge workers and folks have a need for a machine at the office, on the move and at home. The incremental costs of buying a monitor, dock and keyboard is far less than owning either two desktops or a desktop and a notebook.

Quote:
Who is going to buy this 20" monstrosity? It will, by itself, cost as much as a top of the line Mac Pro.

There's this WHOLE other thread about who would own a luggable desktop replacement. Go argue with them.

Edit: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...ght=robust+MBP

Quote:
Your situation is different. Your company is a developer, from what you say, and so they are heavily invested. Very few companies will go that far. Schools will not even think on it, and the individual consumer doesn't even know what you're talking about. Apple is the only computer company that has attempted some mass appeal that doesn't have a desirable line of desktops that costs less than the cheapest laptop, and in addition, is more expandable.

My company is by no means a software development company. Its also very hard to argue that the massive growth in laptop sales is not a significant erosion of the desktop market and is occuring because people are replacing desktops with laptops.

That means that my experience is by no means unique and that the trend for the last few years has been in this direction. Assertions that desktops MUST be a requirement fly in the face of both that statistic and the fact that there IS a top 5 manufacturer with only mobility options.

Finally that Apple is the ONLY vendor is a plus when it comes to whether it can decide to go totally mobile. You really believe that the iMac serves people better than a mid-tower?

Quote:
While it's true that most all companies that produce both laptops and desktops have seen a move to laptops, Apple sales are out of sync with the rest of the industry. By that I mean that Apple sells a greater percentage of laptops to desktops than most other computer companies.

That's clearly false. Toshiba posted higher growth numbers than Apple. HP and Dell show far higher growth numbers in laptops than Apple and see the same trending toward laptops. It is only because HP and Dell sell into markets where cost is the defining factor (low end desktops) that you do not see the same 3-1 ratio.

Quote:
That's not because its laptops are so much better, but because its desktop choices are so much worse.

Laptops are now so much better than they were before that most tasks can be done with a laptop that used to REQUIRE a desktop.

Quote:
And, by the way, if you want to talk about current product lines, and want to dismiss a mini tower which could help turn this situation around, then you can't mention the also non-existent dock, the extreme unpopularity of which you failed to address.

So unpopular that every other manufacturer has one? If it is as unpopular as you say then Dell, HP, etc would have long ago abandoned them as unecessary.

In any case, the MBP CAN do most of what you need to day sans dock...its just annoying and a dock would be cheaper.

Vinea
post #379 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

It would be interesting to see some numbers on the percentage of laptop owners who also have a desktop computer. I think a large number of users aren't deciding between one or the other, but combining the best of two worlds.

I would say that most wont bother with a desktop over time but just buy an extra keyboard, mouse and monitor.
post #380 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

did you read his posts?

If you did, you would see that in oder to make a laptop replace a desktop, even he is saying that, at the minimum, you will need to buy a keyboard and larger monitor. Then there is his non existent dock that you will need, and it goes on from there.

Oh for crying out loud. MB + 24" Dell + Logitech keyboard & mouse is far cheaper than the 24" iMac. The iMac is a lousy Bang for the Buck machine.

The primary thing the dock provides is one-click and built in drives. For 90% of the folks out there a NAS makes the dock less important. For most folks out there the fast drives of the iMac are NOT a requirement and for a large segment of the remainder they aren't fast enough (ie they want access to a RAID) anyway.

Vinea
post #381 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

The inherent problem with any such docking solution is that you basically pay for a second LCD without ever being able to use two screens at the same time:
- with the MBP docked its internal screen is wasted.
- with the MBP taken out the docking station's screen is wasted.

Because a $100 panel is all that big a deal? 15" panel wastage isn't earth shattering.

Quote:
If on the other hand you attach a second LCD on the side you can use your MBP's internal LCD to extend your screen real estate.

Do you do this every day? I do and its annoying how many wires there are. On a Dell this task is trivial. Slide notebook in...done.

Quote:
The ideal docking station allows both screens to be active at the same time and doesn't require you to buy a second keyboard.
Not sure how such a thing would work physically though...

Just go look at the Dell docks. You CAN just flip the laptop open and use the LCD and keyboard but there's no point. If that's ALL you want then wireless network and a power cable is usually good enough.

Vinea
post #382 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Granted (no pun), with tuition from so many students and state funding, the college has a large enough budget/income to have whatever equipment is needed and upgraded every few years. I would imagine that smaller colleges might have difficulties is supplying all necessary equipment to students and faculty.

You mean smaller institutions like Harvard?

Yes, because you work for what is effectively a very large community college your system works. But tell me...how many adjunct professors/instructors does MDC have vs real professors? How many of these adjuncts have to purchase their own equipment for use at home because MDC doesn't provide desktops? Or does it give every instructor a home machine?

Geez. I've encountered academic arrogance before but this is silly to imply anyone that uses laptops is too poor to afford "necessary equipment". Research unis will be a completely different environment and I've spoken with FIU folks too...at conferences...and they pretty much all had laptops. I wonder why? Oh yes, because profs from research universities actually need to do research, hunt for grants and it's a much more fluid and demanding environment.

Vinea
post #383 of 557
You know what would be sweet with the new iMacs...integrated lights out. As someone managing them in a lab, it would be great if one could use remote desktop to turn them on. It's a great feature on the new Intel Xserves. I know, I know. Not likely to happen. But it would be cool.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
post #384 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

"We" certainly don't need it... How many people on this board do you think are heavy Logic users?

ME!!!
post #385 of 557
My bet:

17" iMac - education only
1,83 GHz C2D
Combo drive
GMA 950
$839 (or $799 via the Apple Education Store)

17" iMac - public
2 GHz C2D
SuperDrive
some nVidia chip
$899

20" iMac
2.3 GHz C2D
SuperDrive
some really good chip
$1199

even bigger?
no idea!
post #386 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Oh for crying out loud. MB + 24" Dell + Logitech keyboard & mouse is far cheaper than the 24" iMac. The iMac is a lousy Bang for the Buck machine.

I am using an MB with a 22" display right now, and I can't say that I like the setup very much. I will actually buy a 24" iMac when the new model arrives, mainly for one reason: fan noise. The noise level of the MB compared to an iMac is worth the price alone. Add to that that I won't have to hook it up all the time, it requires less desk space, I get a better GPU, larger and faster built in HDD etc.

In fact, the only thing I do like about this setup compared to a desktop is that I can just pick it up and continue with my work someplace else. With an iMac + MB I'll have to sync the data everytime I'm going somewhere. But it'll be worth it.
post #387 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Mac Pro = function over form.

I have to disagree with that statement. Granted a workstation is primarily focused on function, but in comparison to other workstations, I think the Mac Pro is very attractive.

Now, if it would just return my phone calls....\
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
post #388 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myst View Post

One thing I don't get about the iMac is why it uses a laptop processor. I mean we're talking about a computer that has more space to work with than a lot of gaming notebooks that use desktop processors. Even a laptop like this one that uses a Core 2 Quad has far more restricted airflow and space than a properly designed iMac would. The same formfactor iMac that came before the mobile chips uses the G5 processor, which were never known for being particularly cold to the touch.

I really hope Apple decides to use desktop chips with this redesign opportunity. If they used desktop chips they could justify the iMac price if they ever introduce that expandable consumer Mac that everyone wants so dearly. I think it's safe to say that if they introduced a consumer tower [or minitower] now that used desktop chips, it would be a big threat to iMac sales. In overall strategy for the company, mobile chips don't make sense for the iMac. Hopefully Apple sees this too.

I read somewhere that the iMac chip IS a desktop chip, but the socket isn't. Does that make sense?
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #389 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I read somewhere that the iMac chip IS a desktop chip, but the socket isn't. Does that make sense?


No; because the iMac uses the Merom and not the Conroe.
post #390 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

You mean smaller institutions like Harvard?

Yes, because you work for what is effectively a very large community college your system works. But tell me...how many adjunct professors/instructors does MDC have vs real professors? How many of these adjuncts have to purchase their own equipment for use at home because MDC doesn't provide desktops? Or does it give every instructor a home machine?

Geez. I've encountered academic arrogance before but this is silly to imply anyone that uses laptops is too poor to afford "necessary equipment". Research unis will be a completely different environment and I've spoken with FIU folks too...at conferences...and they pretty much all had laptops. I wonder why? Oh yes, because profs from research universities actually need to do research, hunt for grants and it's a much more fluid and demanding environment.

Vinea

You're correct. The majority of MDC faculty is adjunct. And no, MDC doesn't furnish home computers to them or to full time faculty. Full time faculty instructors are given desktops at work. Adjuncts have access to computers all over the campus. I would imagine many of them use USB's to tote info home or they use the web to put info on their home computers. This is so for full time or part time faculty. I use a 4 GB USB which is more than enough storage, so I don't need or want a laptop. I do all my work at the college or at home. I don't feel the need to stop at Starbucks on the way home and do work there. I would find that uncomfortable.

I was not implying that anyone that uses laptops is too poor to afford "necessary equipment"?
You pulled that out of thin air. The comment you made about Harvard being smaller doesn't make sense. How did you make that comparison? As for FIU profs who travel carrying laptops. Yes, I'd expect them to.
The FIU profs whom I know don't travel enough to use laptops.
I still don't see how you made so many misinterpretations from my post? I was simply telling how MDC used computers and was not implying anything else. You twisted that into something you made up out of your own mind.
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #391 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Oh for crying out loud. MB + 24" Dell + Logitech keyboard & mouse is far cheaper than the 24" iMac. The iMac is a lousy Bang for the Buck machine.

Now you're just cheating, you go on and on post after post about expanding the mbp and when example time comes you use the macbook.
You KNOW that no model of macbook has anything on the 24" imac so why use that as your basis? Hmmm...to try and justify your cost arguement, which is probably the biggest whole in your arguement altogether.

Also who do you want to suggest is going to tell customers to get logitech and dell parts, apple's online site or apple store employees?

Customer: Hi, I'd like to get a 24" imac.

Apple store employee: No, desktops compared to laptops make no sense. What you do is get a macbook then go to bestbuy downstairs and get yourself a nice keyboard and mouse and when you get home order a 24" Dell monitor off dell's site.

Customer: Can't I just get the screen and mouse and keyboard from here?

Apple store employee: No, that's too expensive.


What your suggesting may be ok for some people (assuming that gpu difference and HD space mean nothing to you) but you're making the same mistake that tons of people on the site always seem to make: Most people are not tech savy or resourseful. Expecting that the general barely computer literate person (the vast majority of people) can figure that on their own is silly and incredibly unrealistic. If you want apple to sell only to the mac die hard, fine but if their sales are going to grow like they've been doing they need to get new customers on board. Expecting those people to know how to build their own setups is crazy, I mean look at all the posts on this site of people saying things like:

"Which is the best external display for my mb/mbp?"
"Which is the best external keyboard/mouse for my mb/mbp?"
"Which is the best external hard drive for my mb/mbp?"

And the list goes on. Most people will not buy computers and take to the internet to understand them.

I had a friend who swtiched to a mbp and did not even know that two fingers on the touchpad would right click, I went to his house to help him with some problem he had that was incredibly easy and by the time I left had him weeping with joy because I turned his old shitty viao's HD into an external one, let him use his LCD as an external display, and his logitech keyboard as an external keyboard (he bought a mighty mouse with the mbp).

He was happy because he never knew any of that was possible, I left sad because he never knew any of that was possible and that his mbp was more expensive and better than mine. If I hadn't gone there his mbp would have such and huge waste and his viao parts would have a waste as well.

And you think most people will do all that by themselves making desktops pointless? Wow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #392 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

You know what would be sweet with the new iMacs...integrated lights out. As someone managing them in a lab, it would be great if one could use remote desktop to turn them on. It's a great feature on the new Intel Xserves. I know, I know. Not likely to happen. But it would be cool.

Correct me if I'm wrong but could you not just set one mac up to turn on and off every day at a certain time (energy saver->schedule) and then mirror it to all the other macs in the lab? That's what our lab manager does. Or are you talking about something different?
Serving humanity one sarcastic comment at a time.
Reply
Serving humanity one sarcastic comment at a time.
Reply
post #393 of 557
You can also set, in Energy Saver, 'wake on LAN access'. Not true 'lights on', but a close facsimile.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
post #394 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong but could you not just set one mac up to turn on and off every day at a certain time (energy saver->schedule) and then mirror it to all the other macs in the lab? That's what our lab manager does. Or are you talking about something different?

Is 'mirroring' the same as doing a full backup? What is the difference, if any?
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #395 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Is 'mirroring' the same as doing a full backup? What is the difference, if any?

Umm... I don't know. It was just explained to me as a way to make all of the computers the same with the same preferences, user accounts, and privileges.

ps. sequitur I found another solution to the quicktime problem and posted it there.
Serving humanity one sarcastic comment at a time.
Reply
Serving humanity one sarcastic comment at a time.
Reply
post #396 of 557
Was I imagining it or was there a rumour many many months ago about Apple putting a dedicated H.264 chip in future Macs.

We've also heard in the recent conference call that Apple is going to undertake a product transition.

Perhaps they will announce dedicated H.264 chips for all future Mac/aTV models as this positions the Mac platform ideally to support all this media we put on our iPhones and iPods.
post #397 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Was I imagining it or was there a rumour many many months ago about Apple putting a dedicated H.264 chip in future Macs.

We've also heard in the recent conference call that Apple is going to undertake a product transition.

Perhaps they will announce dedicated H.264 chips for all future Mac/aTV models as this positions the Mac platform ideally to support all this media we put on our iPhones and iPods.

No need for dedicated chips. Both ATI and Nvidia GPUs have hardware specialised for this purpose. In fact, they've had them for a while (coming up on two years). Apple have just dragged their feet on implementing drivers. I was hoping that said drivers would appear in Leopard, but no word on that yet
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #398 of 557
how quick can we expect apple stores (US/UK) to update there imacs on display in the store assuming new models are being announced? Next day? One Week?
post #399 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

"We" certainly don't need it... How many people on this board do you think are heavy Logic users?

The people on these boards are not a complete indication of Mac users as a whole. Most people here know their own field, and little more. I like to read post and dream here, but it's not a serious place. I usually read cgsociety.org, and I would expect the majority of Logic users have their own discussion forums that they frequent.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #400 of 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

I have to disagree with that statement. Granted a workstation is primarily focused on function, but in comparison to other workstations, I think the Mac Pro is very attractive.

Oh yeah, I agree with you - I never said that the Mac Pro was unattractive.

But with the Mac Pro, like the G5 before it, the form follows the function. Apple selected the components first, and then made the necessary enclosure look good.

With the iMac however, its functionality suffers at the expense of its form. Apple designed the enclosure first, and then selected the components that would work within that enclosure. That's why the iMac suffers from a laptops processor, support chipset, RAM and optical drive.

To answer the original posters question, that's why the iMac features numerous laptop components.

I think this is why the headless iMac debate refuses to die. If the Mac Pro is function over form, and the iMac is form over function, there are a lot of people out there that are interested in the middle ground.
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to host Mac event next Tuesday