or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Subtle refinements, major fixes slip into iPhone update

Subtle refinements, major fixes slip into iPhone update

post #1 of 26
Those users who leapt on the first iPhone software fix have discovered that the update covers many of the initial complaints about the Apple handset's reliability.

Anecdotal reports from the official iPhone support discussions and AppleInsider readers has revealed that the 1.0.1 update to the cellphone includes many undocumented but potentially critical solutions to recurring problems with the device.

One of the fixes is said to address unusually low call volumes, which in some cases rendered normal calls and the speaker phone difficult to hear in typical environments, no matter how high the volume setting. A publicly recognized battery error which refused to acknowledge a fully-charged iPhone has also been resolved for a number of users, some reports claim.

Additional readers noted that Safari was no longer as crash-prone as it had been in the past. The web browser is particularly more stable when running with multiple open pages or with music playing in the background, they said.

A few minor feature changes have also been worked into the update. IMAP e-mail accounts now properly display more sub-folders, according to some users. The mail client can now also send blind carbon copies of messages to the sender to keep track of messages. Previously, these recipients required a public carbon copy.

Other fixes include an expanded number of time limits for engaging the passcode lock, which can be set as late as an hour for those less concerned about security, and an enhanced VPN client with a cancel button that backs out of failed or slow connections.
post #2 of 26
Any word on whether this patches the vulnerabilities found the other week?
post #3 of 26
everything certainly feels snappier
post #4 of 26
Any word on attaching a picture from within the Mail app?
post #5 of 26
the update seriously improves safari's tendency to crash. the maps app seems much more stable especially when traffic monitoring is turned on.

a note on maps...

i travel frequently and in the past resorted to gps to find my way around. recently i found that gps is absolutely worthless in cities like new york, boston and chicago (or any place with lots of tall buildings) if you're relying on it, plan to pull over wait *forever* or in a clear parking lot. if apple does add gps to iPhone, let's hope maps works without it. gps machines will not work without a signal. in the city (or any inhabited area) gps is unnecessary. the maps solution is much better. now if text to speech were enabled for directions (and the speaker phone was louder) that would rock. maybe iPhone could route audio directions to the bluetooth headset...

as for the email. you cannot attach from within mail, you need to get into photos, tap the one you want to send and select "email photo."

cheers.

s
post #6 of 26
Great update. In particular, I'm happy the volume was fixed. I'd assumed this was unfixable.

Now, if only smart playlists containing podcasts gets a fix...

...that, and an SDK...(!)
post #7 of 26
It's too bad that all these fixes won't get all the press that the "problems" got shortly after the iPhone came out. Eventually just about every complaint about the iPhone can and will be fixed. Except maybe the speed of EDGE. But then again I'm happy to have a slower internet connection with a lower phone bill. I'm happy to pay $59/month vs. a $100 phone bill each month.

I must have missed the CNBC report where the reported apologized for reporting as fact that the iPhone subscription would be over $100/month. He said it as fact, when he should have said "probably", or "possibly" or "could be". No he said it would for sure cost over $100/month for the phone service.

Hey, CNBC! I'm waiting for the apology.

The most important thing that Apple and ATT will soon fix is, let's face it, the price. When this phone comes down to $300-400 dollar range it will sell tons. Especially when people see the $59 plans with unlimited internet. And Apple will still make tons of profits at that price, especially with a $200 ATT kickback and a $300 wholesale cost. It goes like this, sell a bunch at $100 over cost. Get $200 from ATT, then continue to collect $9/month/subscriber. Not to mention the increase in sales at the soon to be 2nd largest music seller on the planet iTunes Music Store.... Oh, and they might buy a Mac too!
post #8 of 26
one of the issues i was more concern and i see it was fix, was eco on it, when talking to someone else on there iphone it sounded like hell hearing yourself over and over, i was about to give up on it too already, but now am loving it more than ever, about passcode am loving it, got stop by a cop he told me if you could use my phone, and i said sure when he try to go into my personal info the phone was disable only allowing calls to be made or received, lol boy was he piss off he should have come clean from the beginning
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

one of the issues i was more concern and i see it was fix, was eco on it, when talking to someone else on there iphone it sounded like hell hearing yourself over and over, i was about to give up on it too already, but now am loving it more than ever, about passcode am loving it, got stop by a cop he told me if you could use my phone, and i said sure when he try to go into my personal info the phone was disable only allowing calls to be made or received, lol boy was he piss off he should have come clean from the beginning

I do not understand this paragraph.
My apologies.
MBP 15" Unibody GHz 500GB 4GB
iPhone 3GS 16GB
iPod nano black fatty 8GB
iPhone 3GS 16GB
post #10 of 26
Quote:

post #11 of 26
Another change is that the SSL is turned on by default for setting up an email account.
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
post #12 of 26
Quote:

One of the issues I was concerned about, and it was fixed, was that there was an echo. When I was talking on the phone, I could hear what I said over and over again. I was about to give up on it, but now that it is fixed I love my iPhone more than ever. I also love passcode, as the other day I got stopped by a police officer, and he asked if he could use my iPhone. I said "Sure.", but when he tried to get into my personal files, it locked him out and only allowed calls to be sent/received. Boy, was he pissed off. He should have made his intentions clear in the beginning.

Serving humanity one sarcastic comment at a time.
post #13 of 26
thanks
iPhone 3GS 16GB
iPhone 3GS 16GB
post #14 of 26
Cut? Paste?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

One of the issues I was concerned about, and it was fixed, was that there was an echo. When I was talking on the phone, I could hear what I said over and over again. I was about to give up on it, but now that it is fixed I love my iPhone more than ever. I also love passcode, as the other day I got stopped by a police officer, and he asked if he could use my iPhone. I said "Sure.", but when he tried to get into my personal files, it locked him out and only allowed calls to be sent/received. Boy, was he pissed off. He should have made his intentions clear in the beginning.

Thanks for the translation of what appeared to be totally illiterate, now it makes much more sense! For the original poster, please have someone read over your posts before posting them if you're a non-native English speaker, if you do have English as your birth/primary language, please slow down your typing so we can understand you! Thanks.
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Those users who leapt on the first iPhone...

Shouldn't this be in the iPhone Forum?
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by britwithgoodteeth View Post

that guy in the pic, looks like the one gizmodo snap and a guy and pay him off to claim that he was waiting in line at the fith av store in NYC, what a bunch of loosers , anyone that was there can comfirm it
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdavid911 View Post

Thanks for the translation of what appeared to be totally illiterate, now it makes much more sense! For the original poster, please have someone read over your posts before posting them if you're a non-native English speaker, if you do have English as your birth/primary language, please slow down your typing so we can understand you! Thanks.

Oh, he's been asked before. I think people just stopped asking.....
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Do you work for the UN?
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Do you work for the UN?

No, I go to high school.
post #21 of 26
Where the heck is the time sync coming from - (AT&T)? because mine is way off. time.apple.com and my cable box are in sync but both are about 2-3 minutes ahead of my iPhone's time.

Edit: It appears that it is like the Mac in that it keeps it's time internally until you go to the clock app and leave it open for awhile. I watched it jump ahead 2 minutes to the correct time. I was thinking it was more like other cell phones that kept in sync with the cell tower time, but I guess not.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhill View Post

The most important thing that Apple and ATT will soon fix is, let's face it, the price. When this phone comes down to $300-400 dollar range it will sell tons. Especially when people see the $59 plans with unlimited internet. And Apple will still make tons of profits at that price, especially with a $200 ATT kickback and a $300 wholesale cost. It goes like this, sell a bunch at $100 over cost. Get $200 from ATT, then continue to collect $9/month/subscriber. Not to mention the increase in sales at the soon to be 2nd largest music seller on the planet iTunes Music Store.... Oh, and they might buy a Mac too!

You're presuming a bunch there.

a) the iPhone costs $300 wholesale
b) they're getting a $200 kickback

Both are suppositions.

The only thing we know is the iSuppli takeapart estimate but in that they estimated the cost of the OS at $7! Apart from that, there's no cost of R&D, marketing, distribution or anything like that. It's just raw component costs. There's more to costs than just components.

As for getting $200 back from AT&T, that's just a guess as neither Apple or AT&T will disclose any details of their commercial terms.

I presume Apple would only get the kickback when selling an iPhone in their store, just like any other company selling a phone contract would. Or do you not have independent phone sellers in the USA? It's normal for the UK.
post #23 of 26
Talking to people it's noticably louder, but I wish they made the ringer louder. If they did make it louder then its still not working and I am deaf.\
post #24 of 26
My updating process went flawlessly. However, I have noticed no differences. None. Must be just me..... \
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunkcrunk View Post

the update seriously improves safari's tendency to crash. the maps app seems much more stable especially when traffic monitoring is turned on.

a note on maps...

i travel frequently and in the past resorted to gps to find my way around. recently i found that gps is absolutely worthless in cities like new york, boston and chicago (or any place with lots of tall buildings) if you're relying on it, plan to pull over wait *forever* or in a clear parking lot. if apple does add gps to iPhone, let's hope maps works without it. gps machines will not work without a signal. in the city (or any inhabited area) gps is unnecessary. the maps solution is much better.

cheers.

Took my wife to LAX for a flight to OZ last night. After checking in, we looked up some restaurants on the iPhone and set forth. For whatever reason (not too many tall buildings near LAX) the GPS and satellite radio became erratic and in frustration, we went back to iPhone, got directions and followed them, abandoning the GPS altogether.

Finally, the GPS worked as we got closer to the restaurant in Redondo Beach but by then, iPhone had performed its task and the GPS became an interesting comparison to see if the directions were the same- they were!

Anyone have an explanation for the satellite link to be so bad around LAX???- this instability remained for some 5 miles on the 105. I had not noticed this previously on the 405, even near the airport.

cheers
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Where the heck is the time sync coming from - (AT&T)? because mine is way off. time.apple.com and my cable box are in sync but both are about 2-3 minutes ahead of my iPhone's time.

Edit: It appears that it is like the Mac in that it keeps it's time internally until you go to the clock app and leave it open for awhile. I watched it jump ahead 2 minutes to the correct time. I was thinking it was more like other cell phones that kept in sync with the cell tower time, but I guess not.

My iPhone clock is just wacked. It updated this morning to the correct time but is now off by 2 minutes and 45 seconds and refuses to update.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Subtle refinements, major fixes slip into iPhone update