or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Upcoming iPods - Sep 2007 - Educated Guess

Upcoming iPods - Sep 2007 - Educated Guess - Page 2

post #41 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboy87 View Post

Yes HDDs will always be cheaper per GB but SSD has lower power consumption and faster read time.

They have lower seek time, but also lower throughput, so they are actually slower for block copying. So, synching your high capacity iPod for the first time would actually be slower for an SSD iPod. But I don't think that matters much.

Quote:

Further more they are much more reliable, since they won't die on you for no reason. Imagine an 320GB iPod experiencing an HDD failure ending up in you loosing all your content.

I don't think that's a good reason for not having a 320 GB iPod. The iPod shouldn't be the only place you are storing your content. When the iPod can have a 320 GB HDD, laptops will have around 640 GB, and desktops even more.

Quote:
I prefer a 32GB SSD ipod rather than an 80GB HDD iPod which can die on me at any time.

Good for you. Get a 32 GB Nano then. I for one hope that Apple retain an HDD iPod that continues to increase in capacity, enabling, as I said before, the transition to Apple Lossless as the audio codec, or allowing for much larger amounts of video to be stored alongside the music library.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #42 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I knew it was coming. Yes, no "home" button because there's no phone, no internet, and no widgets. And if you want to pause, skip and such you use the new built-in in-line remote - easy.

Easy? No - much more complicated. Just another thing to lose as well.
post #43 of 83
Hello,
Looking at the iMacs introduced yesterday and i squarely place my bets on Apple launching a more conservative update to the iPods .

those hoping for a touch-screen ..., i dont think so .
post #44 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by karteekmehta View Post

Hello,
Looking at the iMacs introduced yesterday and i squarely place my bets on Apple launching a more conservative update to the iPods .

those hoping for a touch-screen ..., i dont think so .

Yeah that's is going to be the big question now. Touch screen or no touch screen. That will also decide the demand for the product. If the iPod G6 ends up with a touch screen the public is going to go crazy.
post #45 of 83
Quote:

Yeah that's is going to be the big question now. Touch screen or no touch screen. That will also decide the demand for the product. If the iPod G6 ends up with a touch screen the public is going to go crazy.

Correct. Apple comes out with a true video 6G iPod with a 3.5" 3:2 aspect ratio touchscreen with Multi-touch, consumers will go wild and buy 'em by the millions. That's what everyone has been expecting since the iPhone was introduced in January.

Now, keep the WiFi component from the iPhone and let users download music right from the iPod. Wowee Zowee!
post #46 of 83
Hi there

Long time reader, first time poster.

I think we have to consider what people use their iPods for when thinking about how it will be updated, as well as how Apple wants us to use them.

Shuffle is really just for listening to a bit of music as you run/go to the gym/commute etc and as such I imagine we will really only see capacity hikes in future. The essential concept remains the same, so why bother adding a screen etc - it would only add to the size (with necessary battery increases etc) and thus detract from the small form factor selling point.

Nano also has benefit of being anti-jog for sports etc but is aimed at someone that wants a bit more control and a bit more capacity. It's main selling point (I think) is it's size, and the fact that it looks very cool ("All that in something that size?!" etc). It is not meant as a mixed media player - OK it does photos but they who ever uses it for that, the screen is just too small. I don't think they'll increase the screen size much - too much battery strain and who's going to watch video on a 2.5" screen? If you really want mobile video I'd think people would buy something more suitable. As for a larger screen than 2.5" I think it won't happen as the Nano needs to retain its "wow that's small" factor (the clue's in the name!). The click-wheel will stay (as an Apple legend) and the price must remain competetive in it's market sector. I really only see capacity hikes as memory gets cheaper.

As for the iPod itself, Apple has touted this as a mixed media player from the 4G on. The problem at the moment is that it has a good screen, but not as good/large as a lot of the competition. What I'd like to see, and what I think will deliver a knockout blow to the market is a widescreen, multitouch iPod like the iPhone but without any of the other features. This would look damn cool (always good for getting new customers) but could have a slight premium over similar rivals (you pay for quality and cool you know!). By having that decent screen you could watch video properly and a large HDD would allow you to carry around a lot/all of your media. No camera though - simply no point - the iPod is a media PLAYER, if you want a recorder, buy an iPhone. Also no WiFi - it seems clear Apple wants you to connect these things to your Mac as with the iPhone. I guess this makes sense as your Mac (or heaven forbid your PC) is really the hub from which you manage everything and keep "originals" (for want of a better word). I'm not very technical but I also imagine that downloading to your home "hub" has implications for controlling DRM etc and also leaves your devices less prone to hacking from WiFi etc. Also saves a lot of battery and people are very quick to criticize Apple over battery issues.

Whether or not Apple thinks like this I really don't know. They usually seem to play things pretty safe (who can blame them after their near collapse with various disasterous new gadgets in the past (Pippin, Newton anyone (yes, yes I bought one)?)). Occasionally they come up with a real corker of an idea (iPod) but they have to make sure it works really well before putting out there and then play safe again.

It seems that some people here want one of those do everything gadgets with all the bells and whistles - I really don't think this is Apple's strategy - you can buy any number of these sort of gadgets from other manufacturers and they tend to look like parts-bin specials with lights and buttons all over and have clunky, non-integrated operation (I was recently very underwhelmed by the Nokia N95). Compare those "Jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none" products next to something as sleek and integrated as something from Apple which to coin their phrase "just works". IMHO they will stick to making products that serve a dedicated purpose and do it well.
post #47 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Correct. Apple comes out with a true video 6G iPod with a 3.5" 3:2 aspect ratio touchscreen with Multi-touch, consumers will go wild and buy 'em by the millions. That's what everyone has been expecting since the iPhone was introduced in January.

Now, keep the WiFi component from the iPhone and let users download music right from the iPod. Wowee Zowee!

I have bigger dreams about WiFi than in the iPods than that. What I would want to Apple offering an iPod which allows you to stream music/movies/youtube videos from iTunes(the computer) to the iPod which is located in another room. Off course the iPod would be sitting in a dock which has connectivety like RCA and S-video. That would in my opinion be something very sweet which is perfect for people with a large house
post #48 of 83
Quote:

I have bigger dreams about WiFi than in the iPods than that. What I would want to Apple offering an iPod which allows you to stream music/movies/youtube videos from iTunes(the computer) to the iPod which is located in another room. Off course the iPod would be sitting in a dock which has connectivety like RCA and S-video. That would in my opinion be something very sweet which is perfect for people with a large house

Why not just buy AppleTV?
post #49 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgb1975 View Post

Why not just buy AppleTV?

I don't like it.
post #50 of 83
At this point I would imagine most people are expecting the new iPod to be like the iPhone minus the phone. Anything less, I think will be disappointing.
I would add maybe a little larger widescreen, more capacity of course, like 80gig and 120gig and hopefully wi-fi.

I also have hard time believing that will cannibalize iPhone sales. I know many people that won't buy an iPhone because AT&T service and reception. Plus, lots of people want more storage and do not want to be tied up to a two years contract. So the iPod will appease all these folks and the iPhone will have their followers too. I believe the two products can coexist in harmony and Apple will make a killing selling them.

Plus, Apple says the iPhone is the best iPod ever made, so how they will come up with a new iPod that doesn't surpass the iPhone? That's why I bet the new iPod will be superior as media player than the iPhone is.

So bring it on by no later than October.
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
post #51 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugy View Post

Plus, Apple says the iPhone is the best iPod ever made, so how they will come up with a new iPod that doesn't surpass the iPhone?

That's the best comment I've read in this thread so far. The iPod G6 better be a better iPod than the iPhone.
post #52 of 83
hello everyone ,
iPod 30GB , iPod Shuffle 1GB stocks have virtually dried up here in our local mkt , most dealers have run out of stock . Supply of iPod nano 2GB has also stopped , only 4GB nano is still available , mainly cause is sales are slow out here .

Internally we have been told to expect a 2nd week of Sept Launch of the new range of iPods but most sites are expecting a end of Sept ..... exact launch dates is anybody guess. ...

interesting to read the article here at apple insider and mac rumours about a touch screen ipod .....but yes I could surely say Apple will and should improve upon the internal OS of the ipod .... and add many more software features ....similar to tht of the iPhone --- even apple TV .... i like the feature in which you click on the cover ... it turns and you can select the song from the list ..... photo management also need improvement

maybe apple might let go of the "click wheel" and replace it with a "MULTI TOUCH" touch pad ... similar to the touch pad on our laptops .... but MULTI Touch ... thus making it similar to that of the iPhone .

what say ?

Kartik
post #53 of 83
College promotion for $200 off ends Sep 16th. I am betting they wait until this is over - not giving money on the new stuff - and clearing out inventory. But I am waiting to buy my iMac until after the Tuesday before- the 11th.

b

iMac 24" 2.8 ghz

MacBook Pro 13 2.9 ghz

Waiting for Mini Upgrade

iMac 24" 2.8 ghz

MacBook Pro 13 2.9 ghz

Waiting for Mini Upgrade

post #54 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnsmmr View Post

My guess (wishful thinking...) for how the iPod line will look this holiday season, based upon a mish-mash of the rumors I have seen float by.

iPod Touch

iPods have been introduced as high as $599, and I could see this selling in that range. I don't buy the arguments that this would need to be priced below the iPhone, nor do I believe that it would "cannibalize" the iPhone. The phone contract is a HUGE differentiator; that is a clear separator in the potential audiences for these devices. (I'll take two of these, please.)

Ben

I'd pay - if they just happened to forget to take out that GSM radio
Good for <del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks
<del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks for Good
Good for <del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks
<del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks for Good
post #55 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenspoon View Post

College promotion for $200 off ends Sep 16th. I am betting they wait until this is over - not giving money on the new stuff - and clearing out inventory. But I am waiting to buy my iMac until after the Tuesday before- the 11th.

b

Even if the new ones are released before the 16th only the old ones will be included in the deal. Last year the new nanos dropped before I bought my college promo MBP and I was still only eligible for the 1G nano.

I'm still using it as I wait for a full screen ipod, but those nano, video hybrid sneak shot don't look bad to me either, I wonder if I could live with one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #56 of 83
iPod shuffle--no hardware changes externally, but there will now be a 2 GB model in addition to a 1 GB model. 1 GB will now cost US$60 and 2 GB model will cost US$100.

iPod nano--no hardware changes externally, but 2 GB model dropped, 4 GB model in silver case becomes low end model, 8 GB model becomes "mainstream" model with up to ten different color cases, and new 16 GB model in black and red case only. Prices will be lowered (US$150 for 4 GB, US$200 for 8 GB, and US$250 for 16 GB).

iPod nano video--new model that looks like a 2G nano "writ large" with wider case (but same sized Click Wheel) that accommodates a display almost as large as the 5.5G iPod so it can play back videos. It will be available in 8 GB and 16 GB flash memory storage versions in five different color cases. Cost will be US$250 for 8 GB model and US$299 for 16 GB model.

6G iPod video--all new model in a case about the same size as 5.5G iPod that uses a fullscreen display with touchscreen interface. It will be available with 80 GB and 120 GB hard disk storage. Cost will be US$350 for 80 GB model and US$399 for 120 GB model.
post #57 of 83
Quote:

iPod Touch

iPhone without the phone. New top line of iPods. High capacity and hard drive based. Includes WiFi, camera, etc., just no Edge or phone. This is an important cog in Apple's grand scheme to quickly grow Safari marketshare. Shared platform with iPhone, including upcoming software additions, widgets, features, etc. that come to iPhone. Expensive with generous margin built-in. iPods have been introduced as high as $599, and I could see this selling in that range. I don't buy the arguments that this would need to be priced below the iPhone, nor do I believe that it would "cannibalize" the iPhone. The phone contract is a HUGE differentiator; that is a clear separator in the potential audiences for these devices. (I'll take two of these, please.)

Ben

iPod Touch won't happen. All full size iPods will be touch or not. Apple started fragmenting the iPod line when they introduced the iPod Photo. They acknowledge it was a marketing mistake. That is why the iPod Photo quickly became the iPod.
post #58 of 83
By the way, I hope that Apple decides to offer a small display on the next-generation iPod shuffle. With good reason: both the Creative ZEN Touch Plus and the Sandisk Sansa Clip offer a display to show track title, track time and battery life, something that is sorely lacking on the current Shuffle.
post #59 of 83
Quote:

My guess (wishful thinking...) for how the iPod line will look this holiday season, based upon a mish-mash of the rumors I have seen float by.

iPod Shuffle

Fundamentally unchanged. Maybe a slight increase in storage or reduction in price.

iPod Nano

Similar form-factor to today's nano, possibly slightly lower price or more capacity, but the signature changes are:
1) Flashy new user-interface (that is shared with the regular iPod).
2) Ability to utilize all of the media that was previously restricted to the iPod video (videos, games, etc.). Touted as all the power and features of the iPod video, now available at nano prices. Although the viewing experience on a device this small might leave something to be desired, it would do in a pinch, and would significantly expand the potential market for iTunes video-related content and games.

iPod

The 6G version of the standard iPod. Still hard drive based with click wheel. The main mission here is to spank the dickens out of the HD-based Zune and undercut whatever they might come up with for version 2.

1) Significantly flashier new user-interface (shared with the Nano). Say what you want about the Zune, on the surface at least, its UI makes the iPod's look kind of out-dated.
2) Same size screen as current version, but iPod reduced in overall physical size. Apple thrives on making things smaller and bragging about it.
3) They'll accept a thin margin on this to keep prices as low as possible and difficult for others to compete with. When Apple talked about thinner margins this quarter due to product transitions, I think this was a key component.
4) No WiFi or other significant bells and whistles borrowed from the iPhone. This is for those who want a high-capacity music player at a knock-out price. Video will still play but be de-emphasized; video is now a focus of iPod #4 below.

iPod Touch

iPhone without the phone. New top line of iPods. High capacity and hard drive based. Includes WiFi, camera, etc., just no Edge or phone. This is an important cog in Apple's grand scheme to quickly grow Safari marketshare. Shared platform with iPhone, including upcoming software additions, widgets, features, etc. that come to iPhone. Expensive with generous margin built-in. iPods have been introduced as high as $599, and I could see this selling in that range. I don't buy the arguments that this would need to be priced below the iPhone, nor do I believe that it would "cannibalize" the iPhone. The phone contract is a HUGE differentiator; that is a clear separator in the potential audiences for these devices. (I'll take two of these, please.)

Ben

Sounds really good to me. I like the lineup. Makes perfect sense.
post #60 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Sounds really good to me. I like the lineup. Makes perfect sense.

Nah.

iPod Shuffle: Same, maybe a bump to 2GB.

iPod Nano: Same except for using the new NANDs to double storage. The form factor is already amazingly good and the size really precludes video (might support it like it does photos but meh). 4GB, 8GB and 16GB. $149/$199/$249

iPod Mini: This is what we see pictures of with the scroll wheel and larger display (the one Apple sent C&D letter out for). Flash based but does video. Uses new NANDs. 8GB and 16GB. OSX. $249/$349

iPod: The iPhone sans phone. Uses HDD and not flash (other than to run the OS). 120GB and 160GB $499/$599

120GB/160gb might be a bit aggressive since the 120gb Samsung drive is $249. Perhaps 100GB/120GB.
post #61 of 83
iPod shuffle--new, slightly larger model with small display to show track name, track time and battery life. 1 GB will now cost US$70 and 2 GB model will cost US$100.

iPod nano--will look like current nano but with 5/8" height cut off, thanks to reduced-size electronics. Two different versions are offered, one 4 GB with up to ten different color metallic cases and one 8 GB with red metallic and black case only. 4 GB model will cost US$150 and 8 GB model will cost US$200.

iPod nano video--new model that looks like a 2G nano "writ large" with wider case (but same sized Click Wheel) that accommodates a display almost as large as the 5.5G iPod so it can play back videos. It will be available in 8 GB and 16 GB flash memory storage versions in five different color cases. Cost will be US$250 for 8 GB model and US$300 for 16 GB model.

6G iPod video--all new model in a case about the same size as 5.5G iPod that uses a fullscreen display with touchscreen interface. It will be available with 80 GB and 120 GB hard disk storage. Cost will be US$350 for 80 GB model and US$400 for 120 GB model. There will be NO Wi-Fi capability, but will offer Bluetooth connectivity for interfacing with wireless headphones and Bluetooth-enabled car stereos.
post #62 of 83
Well 9to5mac who seem to be getting all the C&D requests from apples lawyers for posting seemingly real pictures say this about the 6G Ipod

"Outside rim is black, not silver like the iPhone and more flush with the screen like the 5.5G iPods not rounded like iPhone
No ear speaker or microphone for phoning
Thicker - slightly "

Saying that they had a picture but have learnt their lesson so will describe it instead.
post #63 of 83
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #64 of 83
I agree with the general sentiment that the 6th gen iPod should have a touchscreen. It's a logical progression. Consumers are associating the touchscreen interface with Apple products and would like to be able to do this at a more welcoming price point. The R&D on the hardware and software have already been established with the iPhone, so many of the hurdles have already been passed. More products with these features will drop the overall cost and increase Apple's margins as well.

Bluetooth chipsets are certainly low-power enough nowadays that Apple should include them for headphone pairing.

I'm on the fence with wifi on the iPod. Factors such as power restrictions, value to the consumer and iPhone feature competition need to be balanced just right. If it ends up playing a big role as a delivery mechanism for more content (something I'll get into in the next paragraph) then maybe it's a worthwhile endeavor.

Ideally, I would like to see touchscreen iPods in people's hands since it opens up more possibilities for developers. The iPhone is already causing some web developers to create sites and stylesheets that format content to the screen dimensions. I have a feeling that once Apple gets enough consumers to buy iPods with the new interface, they'll open up the platform a bit and start pushing devs to develop widgets for the iPod and iPhone. With efforts such as netvibes UWA going on, it's just a matter of time before we start to see all sorts of cool software.
2.66ghz Mac Pro - 5gb / 830gb / 7300gt 256mb
1ghz Tibook - 1gb / 60gb / 9000 64mb
iPhone - 8gb

netbanshee.com
2.66ghz Mac Pro - 5gb / 830gb / 7300gt 256mb
1ghz Tibook - 1gb / 60gb / 9000 64mb
iPhone - 8gb

netbanshee.com
post #65 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugy View Post

Plus, Apple says the iPhone is the best iPod ever made, so how they will come up with a new iPod that doesn't surpass the iPhone? That's why I bet the new iPod will be superior as media player than the iPhone is.

That claim can only speak for iPods made until the release of the iPhone. I am expecting the 6G iPod to have a touch screen, hard drive with larger capacities, and a different start screen than the iPhone just to differentiate it from the iPhone. I can see the main window being styled after Front Row.
post #66 of 83
My guess

Shuffle: \tNo change in the case design, 1G will be $59 & 2G will be $79.

Nano: \tNo change in the case design, 4G will be $149 8G will be $199 (there may be a special edition 16G)

iPod: \tThis is the new case design (Photos leaked), the new iPod will be all flash based: 8 and 16 gigs in size and multi colors. 8G will be $249 16G will be $299

iPod
Wide Screen: A new form factor: look for aluminum, glass, black with touch interface (similer to iPhone).
-HD based: 80G & 120G
-OS will be OS X based.
-80G will be $349 & 120G $399

The question is would the iPod Wide Screen have Wi-Fi?
If it did come with Wi-Fi how much would it cut into iPhone sales?
post #67 of 83
What we're (almost) certain to see in new iPod...

1. Touchscreen (MultiTouch).
2. iPhone-like glass surface.
3. Mac OS X, with things like CoverFlow etc.
4. Wide or full-fascia screen.
5. NAND flash memory.

What I WANT to see...

1. All of the above
2. Keep the standard 3.5mm headphone jack, DON'T make a bespoke type.
3. Bluetooth (I can think of more reasons for an iPod for have Bluetooth than WiFi, and even less reasons for it to have both)
4. A new iMac-like aluminium back panel, unlike the scratchtastic one in current models.
5. A loudspeaker.
6. Customisation of menu's, backgrounds, screensavers etc.
MBP / 15.4" Glossy TFT / C2D 2.4GHz (Santa Rosa) / 4GB DDR2 RAM / 320GB 5400RPM HDD / GeForce 8600M GT 256MB /
Mac OS X 10.5.6 & Windows XP Pro SP3 (Boot Camp & Parallels)
Apple Authorised Reseller...
MBP / 15.4" Glossy TFT / C2D 2.4GHz (Santa Rosa) / 4GB DDR2 RAM / 320GB 5400RPM HDD / GeForce 8600M GT 256MB /
Mac OS X 10.5.6 & Windows XP Pro SP3 (Boot Camp & Parallels)
Apple Authorised Reseller...
post #68 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJaxon View Post

5. NAND flash memory.

What I WANT to see...

1. All of the above
3. Bluetooth (I can think of more reasons for an iPod for have Bluetooth than WiFi, and even less reasons for it to have both)
4. A new iMac-like aluminium back panel, unlike the scratchtastic one in current models.
5. A loudspeaker.

I highly doubt it'll be all NAND Flash. We might see an 8GB/16GB scaled down version of the iPhone(w/o the phone), but I'm putting my money on an 80GB/120GB HDD version with OSX on a 1GB NAND.
post #69 of 83
My bets for new iPods:

iPod shuffle
Same as current model, but now 2 GB. Also has a $10 price drop to $69.

iPod nano
4, 8, and 16 GB flash models,
Now with video, wireless Bluetooth music sharing, and 2.3" display
$149, $199, and $249

iPod touch
This is what we've been waiting for.
40, 80, and 120 GB models
3.5" multi-touch screen
Runs Mac OS X; interface similar to iPhone
Bluetooth music sharing (also works with new iPod nano, and iPhone with software update)
Wi-Fi with Safari (no Mail)
40 GB $299, 80 GB $399, 120 GB $449 (120 GB model exclusive to online and retail Apple Stores)

Oh, and one more thing...
The Beatles on iTunes
post #70 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNtel iNside

My bets for new iPods:

iPod shuffle
Same as current model, but now 2 GB. Also has a $10 price drop to $69.

Same price.
Quote:

iPod nano
4, 8, and 16 GB flash models,
Now with video, wireless Bluetooth music sharing, and 2.3" display
$149, $199, and $249

$149, $199, and $299.
Quote:

iPod touch
This is what we've been waiting for.
40, 80, and 120 GB models
3.5" multi-touch screen
Runs Mac OS X; interface similar to iPhone
Bluetooth music sharing (also works with new iPod nano, and iPhone with software update)
Wi-Fi with Safari (no Mail)
40 GB $299, 80 GB $399, 120 GB $449 (120 GB model exclusive to online and retail Apple Stores)

40GB and 100GB models. Possible 4" screen. YouTube, Safari, photo's etc. Mobile iTunes store over WiFi.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #71 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJaxon View Post

5. NAND flash memory.

What I WANT to see...

1. All of the above
5. A loudspeaker.

I really hope it doesn't include a loudspeaker. There are enough scrotes on public transport that feel compelled to play music aloud on their tinny mobile phone speakers as it is. All the chavs would have musical pockets if Apple allowed. Please stick with headphones only Apple.. for all our sakes!
post #72 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNtel iNside View Post

Oh, and one more thing...
The Beatles on iTunes

Do people really get excited over this? I figure any huge Beatles fans already have their stuff on their iPod.
post #73 of 83
Time to get one last prediction in. This, I think, is more realistic:

iPod shuffle
- 2GB storage
- (Product) RED edition plus colour selection rejiggering
- still $79

iPod nano (or whatever it's called)
- 4GB, 8GB, 16GB models
- colors, screens exactly as shown in the leaked photo
- $149, $199, $249 (maybe $299 for the last one, if the Creative ZEN is an indicator)

Sixth-generation iPod
- 40GB and 120GB models
- 3.5-inch touchscreen, but with a hold switch vs. sleep/wake button
- 802.11g Wi-Fi music streaming, maybe iTunes downloads
- $299 and $399

At least one will be available immediately, but some may wait until late September or early October to arrive.
post #74 of 83
ok heres what i think will happen. ipod nano MAY get an update but those rumored pics going aound are the 6G ipod. same screen same click wheel but shorter, lighter, and thinnner. the widescreen ipod will be a whole new model. 1G ipod video or touch or what ever they decide to call it. the reason i think thats not the new nano is because its just not nano sized lol. if there is a new nano i think maybe it will have a bigger screen but if it does it will be sideways to keep the same dimensions. but who knows i could be wrong.
post #75 of 83
Quote:

iPod Shuffle

Fundamentally unchanged. Maybe a slight increase in storage or reduction in price.

iPod Nano

Similar form-factor to today's nano, possibly slightly lower price or more capacity, but the signature changes are:
1) Flashy new user-interface (that is shared with the regular iPod).
2) Ability to utilize all of the media that was previously restricted to the iPod video (videos, games, etc.). Touted as all the power and features of the iPod video, now available at nano prices. Although the viewing experience on a device this small might leave something to be desired, it would do in a pinch, and would significantly expand the potential market for iTunes video-related content and games.

iPod

The 6G version of the standard iPod. Still hard drive based with click wheel. The main mission here is to spank the dickens out of the HD-based Zune and undercut whatever they might come up with for version 2.

1) Significantly flashier new user-interface (shared with the Nano). Say what you want about the Zune, on the surface at least, its UI makes the iPod's look kind of out-dated.
2) Same size screen as current version, but iPod reduced in overall physical size. Apple thrives on making things smaller and bragging about it.
3) They'll accept a thin margin on this to keep prices as low as possible and difficult for others to compete with. When Apple talked about thinner margins this quarter due to product transitions, I think this was a key component.
4) No WiFi or other significant bells and whistles borrowed from the iPhone. This is for those who want a high-capacity music player at a knock-out price. Video will still play but be de-emphasized; video is now a focus of iPod #4 below.

iPod Touch

Ben

Apple always has the regular "iPod as the highest end of the product line so as not to dilute the brand too much. And "iPod Touch." Ok, common, that would just be ridiculous!
post #76 of 83
I just confirmed that new iPods are coming out tomorrow!(Well we already knew that anyway)

I used the live help chat and asked, "Will I be able to buy a new iPod immediately after it is released tomorrow?", and she said yes, the new products will be available online.

You just have to ask the right question.
Of course after she posted that, she posted again saying how she can't speculate about unreleased products...right....
post #77 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulbow View Post

I just confirmed that new iPods are coming out tomorrow!(Well we already knew that anyway)

I used the live help chat and asked, "Will I be able to buy a new iPod immediately after it is released tomorrow?", and she said yes, the new products will be available online.

Of course after she posted that, she posted again saying how she can't speculate about unreleased products...right....

That's hardly confirmation. It could simply have been an answer to a question you asked that was hastily given and later clarified.

I'm not disputing the coming of new iPods. But the people at the call centers know as much as the people in Apple retail stores know right now... and that's what they've read on rumor sites.
post #78 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulbow View Post

"Available online" does not equal shipping immediately.

But Apple has almost ALWAYS shipped iPod products on announce with the only exception being the iPhone.
post #79 of 83
Why don't you use the correct forum for your posts.

Correct forum for iPods = iPod + iTunes + AppleTV It's so easy to see it's not even funny.
onlooker

onlooker

post #80 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

"Available online" does not equal shipping immediately.

But Apple has almost ALWAYS shipped iPod products on announce with the only exception being the iPhone.

Apple will have their new iPods at their Apple Stores starting today. Don't expect the new iPods are other retailers until this weekend, though.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Upcoming iPods - Sep 2007 - Educated Guess