or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple releases iTunes 7.3.2, extends font deal with Microsoft

Apple releases iTunes 7.3.2, extends font deal with Microsoft

post #1 of 47
Microsoft Corp. and Apple have renewed their font licensing agreement, giving Apple users ongoing use of the latest versions of core Windows fonts. Meanwhile, Apple has just released a minor update to iTunes.

iTunes 7.3.2

Apple on Thursday afternoon released iTunes 7.3.2. According to brief set of release notes, the update "provides bug fixes to improve stability and performance."

The software is available via Apple's Software Update mechanism, or as a 33.8MB download for Mac / 47.7MB download for Windows.

Font licensing

Apple and Microsoft have agreed to extend "the seamless Web and software experience" Apple users have enjoyed for years when using and viewing popular Microsoft fonts such as Times New Roman, Arial and Verdana.

"Apple customers, developers and Web designers can safely specify fonts knowing that their documents, presentations and web pages will appear as they are meant to be seen on screen and in print," the two companies said in a statement.
post #2 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple and Microsoft have agreed to extend "the seamless Web and software experience" Apple users have enjoyed for years when using and viewing popular Microsoft fonts such as Times New Roman, Arial and Verdana.

Wow. Mediocrity at its best. Just because Arial and Verdana are used more often (by default actually) - doesn't make them more popular. Arial is terrible and Times New Roman? Yawn.
post #3 of 47
Wonder if there will be an update tomorrow. Three so far this week.
post #4 of 47
A "minor update" that is 33.8MB?
post #5 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post

Wow. Mediocrity at its best. Just because Arial and Verdana are used more often (by default actually) - doesn't make them more popular. Arial is terrible and Times New Roman? Yawn.

These fonts are pretty lame (along with Verdana and other Microsoft contraptions) but they are very popular. Without them, websites and Windows Office files won't look right on the Mac. Hopefully, the deal extends to newer Microsoft fonts, such as Calibri (which is actually pretty good, IMO).
post #6 of 47
Very interesting.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

post #7 of 47
Arial is the devil. Helvetica!
post #8 of 47
I never use those fonts...
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
post #9 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

A "minor update" that is 33.8MB?

Must be a major update then. Isn't this an indication of iPod/iMac model updates
post #10 of 47
Quote:

I think it's quite funny. Arial and Verdana is next to unusable on Windows because of the stupid font rendering, but look much better in OS X:

Everything seems to default to Lucida Grande on the Mac anyway?

/Adrian
post #11 of 47
Yeah for font agreement.

Now lets get on with the important stuff, hardware. Something is coming out soon, that is for sure. A point release on the horizon, a minor update that is nearly 34 mb in size, something smells funny...
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #12 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Yeah for font agreement.

Now lets get on with the important stuff, hardware. Something is coming out soon, that is for sure. A point release on the horizon, a minor update that is nearly 34 mb in size, something smells funny...

Not to kill the excitement of a new hardware release, but aren't all iTunes updates about that size? I think you just download a new copy each time, rather than patching an old one.
post #13 of 47
Quote:

"popular" has two main meanings: "liked" and "common" are both synonyms of "popular." So, yes, Arial is popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

I think it's quite funny. Arial and Verdana is next to unusable on Windows because of the stupid font rendering, but look much better in OS X:

What's so wrong with Arial? It's my default for composing mail, and while I generally like the formal look of Times better for documents, "Arial is ... unusable" is far from my characterisation of the font.

----

Whatever the case for one's font preferences, having access to all common fonts on any system is a good thing.
post #14 of 47
Null.
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
post #15 of 47
Quote:

Business is the key here though, most businesses have standardised on Ariel font so it is indeed by far and away the most popular font out there and that is unlikely to change. In a time where Mac is making a comeback and being thought of potentially as a business machine then not supporting the standard fonts would not be viewed as a smart move.
post #16 of 47
When browsing TV shows I am seeing double or triple of each show!

Tried restarting too.
post #17 of 47
Arial is a cheap rip off of Helvetica - a much nicer a font!
post #18 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by age234 View Post

Arial is the devil. Helvetica!

Helvetica is boring! Typical, a font named after the Swiss, that has to be the most bland, decent, responsible and boring option.

Still in love with Univers
post #19 of 47
Gill Sans is my favorite font I think

post #20 of 47
So what are the experiences with this iTunes update?
post #21 of 47
Sounds like a bunch of graphic design people bickering. OK, there's a difference but not something to get worked up about, though the italics in Gill Sans is a bit odd in my opinion.
post #22 of 47
Too bad that can't use this licensing agreement to help build a broader base of default fonts on computers everywhere. That's the only thing holding fonts on the internet back. Inconsistency of default font installs. They are the two companies most capable of relieving this problem. Yet they only see this as a solution for documents on the desktop. Where oh where is the great internet font standard? Come! Deliver your faithful webmages from font constraints on the internet.
post #23 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plague Bearer View Post

Too bad that can't use this licensing agreement to help build a broader base of default fonts on computers everywhere. That's the only thing holding fonts on the internet back. Inconsistency of default font installs. They are the two companies most capable of relieving this problem. Yet they only see this as a solution for documents on the desktop. Where oh where is the great internet font standard? Come! Deliver your faithful webmages from font constraints on the internet.

If the W3C got their act together they could come up with a standard wrapper around TTF that could work over the net...
post #24 of 47
Anyone else find posting two disparate pieces of news in the one headline kind of irritating?

It's tolerable in the RSS feed I guess, but it makes reading forum comments jump around schizophrenically: one person's talking about one thing, someone else about another.
post #25 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by filburt View Post

Hopefully, the deal extends to newer Microsoft fonts, such as Calibri (which is actually pretty good, IMO).

maybe comic sans??
17" i7 Macbook Pro (Mid 2010), Mac Mini (early 2006), G3 B&W, G3 Beige Tower, 3 G3 iMacs (original, bondi, snow), Power Mac 7600/132, Power Mac 7100/100, Power Mac 6100/60, Performa 5280, Performa...
17" i7 Macbook Pro (Mid 2010), Mac Mini (early 2006), G3 B&W, G3 Beige Tower, 3 G3 iMacs (original, bondi, snow), Power Mac 7600/132, Power Mac 7100/100, Power Mac 6100/60, Performa 5280, Performa...
post #26 of 47
Hmm... that's odd. When I went into iTunes, it said 7.3.1 was the current version and no updates available, and then about 8 seconds later, software update found it. Eh.
Serving humanity one sarcastic comment at a time.
Serving humanity one sarcastic comment at a time.
post #27 of 47
How many revisions since 7.0 and STILL they haven't fixed the Movie/Get Info bug!

GET INFO on a movie clip (not TV) results in nothing. It only works if I select multiple clips.
post #28 of 47
Great how Apple has to licence these pirated fonts from Microsoft what a nerve. Arial is a rip off of Helvetica, Verdana - Frutiger, and Times New Roman of Times. As usual for Microsoft, the copies aren't even as nice as the originals (but it takes an expert to spot the differences). Microsoft is hypocritical on two levels. First they bleat on about their right to innovate, while crushing the innovations of the true font companies. Secondly, they bleat on about piracy, while actively engaged in piracy themselves because they didn't want to have to pay licences to the real font companies.

I have more links at the bottom of this web page about Microsoft's blatent hypocrisy:

http://web.mac.com/joynerian/iWeb/Ia...Computing.html
post #29 of 47
Quote:

"Apple customers, developers and Web designers can safely specify fonts knowing that their documents, presentations and web pages will appear as they are meant to be seen on screen and in print," the two companies said in a statement.

Thanks, Microsoft. Your fonts look great. Of course, other companies make fonts and some people buy them, but I like your unicode fonts and use them because they are free.

Thanks again, Microsoft.

post #30 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Thanks, Microsoft. Your fonts look great. Of course, other companies make fonts and some people buy them, but I like your unicode fonts and use them because they are free.

Thanks again, Microsoft.

Wheres the double take smilie when you need it!???
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
post #31 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijoyner View Post

Arial is a rip off of Helvetica, Verdana - Frutiger, and Times New Roman of Times. As usual for Microsoft, the copies aren't even as nice as the originals (but it takes an expert to spot the differences).

With you there. I'd not really noticed the similarity between Frutiger (one of my favourite fonts and one I just used on a logo design this morning) and Verdana but now I've looked, it's disturbing.

I've always found Verdana too wide and plain but If you squash Verdana horizontally it's almost Frutiger except without the nice lowercase t and the lowercase a is just wrong in Verdana.

The worst thing about Verdana is Microsoft's implementation of it though. It was designed to be readable on bitmapped screens but to do that they just simply made it bigger than other fonts. It's just totally wrong. You have to knock it back 2pts to be the same size as Helvetica/Arial.

eg.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/verdana.html
post #32 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijoyner View Post

Great how Apple has to licence these pirated fonts from Microsoft what a nerve. Arial is a rip off of Helvetica, Verdana - Frutiger, and Times New Roman of Times. As usual for Microsoft, the copies aren't even as nice as the originals (but it takes an expert to spot the differences). Microsoft is hypocritical on two levels. First they bleat on about their right to innovate, while crushing the innovations of the true font companies. Secondly, they bleat on about piracy, while actively engaged in piracy themselves because they didn't want to have to pay licences to the real font companies.

I have more links at the bottom of this web page about Microsoft's blatent hypocrisy:

http://web.mac.com/joynerian/iWeb/Ia...Computing.html

I don't know about the other examples, but pages linked from that page say that Arial wasn't Microsoft's making, they simply licensed the cheaper version. Someone else did the "ripping", and the page says that it was common in the industry. Maybe Microsoft really didn't know it was "ripped".

I think it's kind of funny that you get worked up about very subtle differences in the characters rendering that may not even mean a pixel is off on a 8pt font on a computer screen, but misspell "blatant" and "license", which is far more noticeable to my barbarian eye.
post #33 of 47
Times New Roman is pure evil!
post #34 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

So what are the experiences with this iTunes update?

They finally fixed the bug when you are in library and browsing a specific album/artist and switch to podcasts, for exmple, the library doesnt switch back to showing all albums/artists etc. That was really starting to piss me off!
post #35 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Times New Roman is pure evil!

I agree! I almost can't read it. It has bothered me for years. I like Verdana, but it is too large. I need to switch to something more sensible, but can't seem to break the habit.

I'll keep working on that, though.
Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know; the rest is propaganda.
-Horacio Verbitsky (el perro), journalist (b. 1942)
Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know; the rest is propaganda.
-Horacio Verbitsky (el perro), journalist (b. 1942)
post #36 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Thanks again, Microsoft.

*Cough* Astroturfing *Cough*
post #37 of 47
Why the hard feelings for Helvetica, anyway? I happen to hold a special place in my heart for Helvetica. It's just the ultimate typeface. It gets the message across (beautifully, I add). It's just so simple and effective, so utilitarian. Always in style.

Ok... enough about typefaces.
post #38 of 47
Does anyone know the main text font used on Apple's website? And the font on the iPhone? (With apologies to cwinnipeg above).
post #39 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinnipeg View Post

Why the hard feelings for Helvetica, anyway? I happen to hold a special place in my heart for Helvetica. It's just the ultimate typeface. It gets the message across (beautifully, I add). It's just so simple and effective, so utilitarian. Always in style.

Quite. Even MOMA thinks so.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #40 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Does anyone know the main text font used on Apple's website? And the font on the iPhone? (With apologies to cwinnipeg above).

It's Myriad. Nice font too.

http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/P/P_1706.html
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple releases iTunes 7.3.2, extends font deal with Microsoft