or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › iWork 08

iWork 08

post #1 of 144
I like!!!

thoughs people?
"i find that if you keep talkin', your mouth comes up with stuff..." Karl Pilkington
"i find that if you keep talkin', your mouth comes up with stuff..." Karl Pilkington
post #2 of 144
Ballmer just told the Mac BU to change the name of office 2008 to 2000 and NEVER.
post #3 of 144
Who's going to bother buying Office08 now? Not me!

Screw you MS!
post #4 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Who's going to bother buying Office08 now? Not me!

Screw you MS!

Buying Office??? who still buys software? I just hope it ships with leopard because it looks really sweet, but I don't want to pay for it
Serving humanity one sarcastic comment at a time.
Serving humanity one sarcastic comment at a time.
post #5 of 144
i just got my new macbook a few weeks ago along with ilife & a licensed (not demo) iwork.
you think i could qualify for a free upgrade to both?
thanks!
95% of your DNA is junk.... or is it?
post #6 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay View Post

i just got my new macbook a few weeks ago along with ilife & a licensed (not demo) iwork.
thanks!

I would say no. Especially since it was a few weeks ago. Apple is usually pretty strict about this.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #7 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Who's going to bother buying Office08 now?

Actually, I am.
post #8 of 144
I'm viewing the Numbers demo right now. Intelligent Tables look good.

I think it's time for me to ante up on iWork 08. I'll wait for Leopard however and grab

Leopard/iLife/iwork

..yes I'm Apple's bytch.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #9 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I would say no. Especially since it was a few weeks ago. Apple is usually pretty strict about this.

damn! now i have to spend $158??!!!

well, as a consolation, i probably won't have to get Office 2008, so maybe the $79 on iWork08 is justified.

iLife08 - it looks like much more than just eye candy improvements over the current version

hey, BTW, what about educational discounts?
post #10 of 144
I liked the update to iWork 08 and have placed my order already, so MS will definitely not be getting my oder whenever they release the next Office. I am finally free of Office!

Keynote added a couple of features I was waiting for (without really knowing it): better shape drawing, action builds, alpha. These will really be useful, and there are other improvements as well.

Numbers. Well, what can I say but: It's about bloody time! It also looks to have done right.

Pages - a few nice tweaks; the contextual menu bar will be helpful, alpha selection and a few others will be nice additions.

Two days and it will be here. Can't wait.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #11 of 144
The education store is back up. Regular price: $79. Education price: $71.

It's been a while, but I think the edu. price for iWork 06 was $49.
post #12 of 144
Yup, ordered iWork 08 as well. Byebye neo-office
post #13 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanw23 View Post

The education store is back up. Regular price: $79. Education price: $71.

It's been a while, but I think the edu. price for iWork 06 was $49.

Going out on a limb here... but I think it's due to so many people skirting the system and ordering EDU when they don't qualify.

Dave
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #14 of 144
Quote:

thanks!

Not even if you were Steve's mother....

Apple has never been mistaken for a company that goes out of their way to bestow acts of niceness on their loyal customer base...

Dave
post #15 of 144
Quote:
Going out on a limb here... but I think it's due to so many people skirting the system and ordering EDU when they don't qualify.

well, that's sad. but why deny it to those who actually qualify?

Quote:
Not even if you were Steve's mother....
Apple has never been mistaken for a company that goes out of their way to bestow acts of niceness on their loyal customer base...

not really, my previous ibook (g3, 800MHz, 14') had serious logic board issues.... yeah, the infamous crashes! I had 4 replacements because each logic board failed within 1 to 7 months of the change!
call it a f****d up design or just bad karma, but each time Apple replaced it without making any noise.
The last time I had it replaced, the service centre refused saying that it's no longer possible. I just shot off a mail to few random addresses like stevejobs@apple.com, sjobs@apple.com, steve@apple.com (I got the idea from an Appleinsider thread!!!) and it worked - someone from Apple actually contacted me & had the logic board replaced yet again....
Moral of the story: persistence actually pays!
post #16 of 144
Numbers puts Excel to shame. How is it that Apple can produce an amazing spreadsheet app on the first release and MS has garbage on its 20th release?

Sure Excel is still more powerful. It's almost a programming language in some way. It's got macros (aka trojan/virus back door). But that's it's only redeeming quality...and hardly anyone uses this stuff.

Numbers actually offers things most people *will* use. And puts all the most important stuff a single click or drag away.

This is so embarrassing for Microsoft.

Numbers can't open non-XML Excel spreadsheets...too bad. Still though. Numbers is incredible for a 1.0 release. I haven't used it extensively yet...I'm sure I'll find some bugs. But, so far this thing is solid.

As for Keynote...well, it's always been light-years ahead of PowerPoint...the two apps aren't even in the same ballpark.
post #17 of 144
I've been using Pages for the last six hours, bringing over Word documents and seeing what Pages could handle. So far, every Word document opened without flaw and with the correct formatting.

In about 30 minutes, I learned Pages' styles system and was on my way to clearing the MS confusing style crumbs out of my documents. I bought iWork when it first came out a few years ago with the desire of replacing the very creaky MS Word, but I came away unimpressed. The original Pages needed a great deal of polish, so I figured I'd come back in a few revisions. I'm happy to say that Pages '08, at this point, looks like it's going to be capable of replacing Word entirely... at least for me... and I write for a living.

The overall UI of Pages has gotten better and easier to use, with my particularly favorite element being the ability to get rid of buttons and palettes that I don't want to see. A few more tweaks and Pages will be, dare I say it, perfect for 95% of the average person's needs.

Now to see if InDesign can import Pages documents without losing formatting...
post #18 of 144
Could be but I think they are asking a bit more due to numbers. As many copies of iWork as they have sold, I would think they would be happy for the "skirters".

I have bought every version. Waiting for my 08 version to arrive. For now, am using the trial. So far, I like. Numbers just shows how really lazy MS is. Excel is no doubt powerful. But lord, look at some of the ease and fun Apple has added here. Maybe the dinosaur will wake up a bit but I doubt it.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
post #19 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmac View Post

Could be but I think they are asking a bit more due to numbers. As many copies of iWork as they have sold, I would think they would be happy for the "skirters".

I have bought every version. Waiting for my 08 version to arrive. For now, am using the trial. So far, I like. Numbers just shows how really lazy MS is. Excel is no doubt powerful. But lord, look at some of the ease and fun Apple has added here. Maybe the dinosaur will wake up a bit but I doubt it.

Just wait until Apple offers iWork on the PC... Microsoft gets a huge chunk of money from office, imagine if Apple could get that money - maybe I will hold on to my stock longer.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #20 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamrin View Post

I've been using Pages for the last six hours, bringing over Word documents and seeing what Pages could handle. So far, every Word document opened without flaw and with the correct formatting.

In about 30 minutes, I learned Pages' styles system and was on my way to clearing the MS confusing style crumbs out of my documents. I bought iWork when it first came out a few years ago with the desire of replacing the very creaky MS Word, but I came away unimpressed. The original Pages needed a great deal of polish, so I figured I'd come back in a few revisions. I'm happy to say that Pages '08, at this point, looks like it's going to be capable of replacing Word entirely... at least for me... and I write for a living.

The overall UI of Pages has gotten better and easier to use, with my particularly favorite element being the ability to get rid of buttons and palettes that I don't want to see. A few more tweaks and Pages will be, dare I say it, perfect for 95% of the average person's needs.

Now to see if InDesign can import Pages documents without losing formatting...

Gamrin, that's great news about the import of MS word. Have you tried the opposite direction (Pages to Word)?

Please post back with InDesign results as well.

Thanx.
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
post #21 of 144
That is great news, and a nice review of Pages.

How well does the Instant Alpha work?

I am waiting for my copy to arrive (hasn't shipped yet, don't know why) and would love to be able to take Office off of my machines once and for all.

I've ben looking through the tutorials online and have been pretty impressed. Not only do the apps look great, but they prepared fully for the launch. They even upgraded the Apple Japan site to the modern look.

post #22 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

Please post back with InDesign results as well..

Right on. Even a modest degree of interoperability with InDesign would be an attractive and useful feature.
post #23 of 144
iWork and iLife ordered. See ya, NeoOffice. It was nice knowing you.
post #24 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Numbers can't open non-XML Excel spreadsheets...too bad.

Yes it can. Just tried it with the demo.
post #25 of 144
Yeah I've imported several excel spreadsheets with no problems at all.
post #26 of 144
Where's the link to the 30 day trial?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #27 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Where's the link to the 30 day trial?

http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....ork08Trial.dmg
post #28 of 144
Numbers is really sluggish on large spreadsheets but otherwise superb!
post #29 of 144
Quote:

Gracias.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #30 of 144
I am a longtime user of iWork. I would use Pages mainly for its page layout though. I would get frustrated with using it as a basic word processor. I used Text edit for most of my letters. I can't wait for my copy of Pages 08'. I am going to love the new contextual menus! I cannot think of one reason to fire up my old MS Word/Excel anymore! I hope Google Documents continues to improve---thats what I use to open all of the MS Office email attachments. Can't wait for Leopard!!!
post #31 of 144
A bit more of an update:

Word *will not* open regular Pages documents, though, as far as I've tested, Word will open any Pages document I've exported to .doc format without flaw. You can copy text from Pages into Word, but you'll lose minor formatting (the high end stuff like tracked changes and notes, not boldface, italics, line spacing, and all that).

I don't do layout with word processing programs, so I must admit that I don't plan on testing how Pages deals with masking or adding images to text. Instead, I just take the text I've written in Word and import it to InDesign for layout with images. However, the original Pages worked fine for basic layouts, so I assume Pages '08 will provide more of the same.

And speaking of InDesign: It *will not* recognize Pages documents (so you can't place text from Pages via the menu command). However, it *will* recognize and place text from Word documents exported from Pages. In addition, you can copy the text from a Pages document and paste it directly into an InDesign page with no loss of formatting. According to InDesign, it is "Placing RTF Text," so Pages must copy text as RTF by default. So, getting text from Pages to InDesign: simple with a few easy workarounds. Honestly, however, I expect an import plug-in for Pages coming for InDesign very soon if there already isn't one.
post #32 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamrin View Post

A bit more of an update:

Word *will not* open regular Pages documents, though, as far as I've tested, Word will open any Pages document I've exported to .doc format without flaw. You can copy text from Pages into Word, but you'll lose minor formatting (the high end stuff like tracked changes and notes, not boldface, italics, line spacing, and all that).

And speaking of InDesign: It *will not* recognize Pages documents (so you can't place text from Pages via the menu command). However, it *will* recognize and place text from Word documents exported from Pages. In addition, you can copy the text from a Pages document and paste it directly into an InDesign page with no loss of formatting. According to InDesign, it is "Placing RTF Text," so Pages must copy text as RTF by default. So, getting text from Pages to InDesign: simple with a few easy workarounds. Honestly, however, I expect an import plug-in for Pages coming for InDesign very soon if there already isn't one.

Hmm, although it isn't a deal breaker for me, it seems odd that you lose the track changes function when going from Pages to Word, but not the other way around. That seems like something that Apple should be fixing with an update soon.

As for InDesign, I guess it was too much to ask for native support up-front. Still, I bet Adobe announces a plug-in for Pages text support in the near future. Adobe is pretty good about that.
post #33 of 144
I'm new to iWork and havn't even opened the demo that came with my powerbook back in '06. I am downloading the demo to '08 now and plan of ridding myself of the MS umbrella completely if the two documents I must open every month work. I had to buy Office '04 just for this purpose. I would much rather give my money to a company that will actually listen to their customers and improve their products.

Keep up the work Apple and you'll keep me as a loyal customer for years to come.
post #34 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne241 View Post

I'm new to iWork and havn't even opened the demo that came with my powerbook back in '06. I am downloading the demo to '08 now and plan of ridding myself of the MS umbrella completely if the two documents I must open every month work. I had to buy Office '04 just for this purpose. I would much rather give my money to a company that will actually listen to their customers and improve their products.

Keep up the work Apple and you'll keep me as a loyal customer for years to come.

Welcome to the Apple Love Boat.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #35 of 144
Quote:

thanks!

Check out http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate to see if you qualify for iLife upgrade. I just called support and got iLife for $10 because I purchased my computer a week ago.
post #36 of 144
I gotta say I've been mostly impressed with iWork too... v1.0 of pages was a little on the shaky side but Apple addressed most of the peoples 'must have' features that were missing...

Keynote has always blown me away... even if it lacked some of the features people were accustom to having and over the various releases it's only gotten better and better and better... I really wish I still had a need to utilize it...

One thing that to this day I would LOVE for Apple to roll out is a 'keynote player engine' for Windows... Yea I know it would be more than just a little work but it would be SO cool to be able to send a truly DROOL-WORTHY Keynote presentation to a Windows user and let them turn green with envy and have them demand to know why they can't do stuff...

Dave
post #37 of 144
The new Pages is phenomenal. I'll be using it exclusively over Word. I didn't think I would ever find something to replace it, Apple has proven me wrong. And the new Numbers is great too. I don't use Keynote much.

Now if only they incorporated note-taking into Pages... I can just use Schoolhouse for that though. I'm a happy camper.
post #38 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

One thing that to this day I would LOVE for Apple to roll out is a 'keynote player engine' for Windows... Yea I know it would be more than just a little work but it would be SO cool to be able to send a truly DROOL-WORTHY Keynote presentation to a Windows user and let them turn green with envy and have them demand to know why they can't do stuff...

Dave

I would love that too. A lot of places have windows PCs hooked to projectors, and I'd love to be able to plug in a USB drive thingy and go to it, rather than having to to bring my laptop along. Perhaps it depends too heavily on Mac-specific features?
post #39 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I would love that too. A lot of places have windows PCs hooked to projectors, and I'd love to be able to plug in a USB drive thingy and go to it, rather than having to to bring my laptop along. Perhaps it depends too heavily on Mac-specific features?

Yep yep yep... Giving Apple the benefit of the doubt I too feel its too dependent on OS X core technologies... but then again, Apple is notorious for all but ignoring 'the business environment'... It shows with its implementation of ActiveDirectory and its lackluster SMB support (both of these were 'past issues' I had so they may have been fixed) One particularly nasty bug was tripped off with a combination of Office 2004 Excel and opening/editing a spreadsheet followed by someone else on the net opening the file as readonly... things got VERY screwed up and went unfixed for the better part of A YEAR...

Apple pointed to MS and vice-versa

Dave
post #40 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

Hmm, although it isn't a deal breaker for me, it seems odd that you lose the track changes function when going from Pages to Word, but not the other way around. That seems like something that Apple should be fixing with an update soon.

I think you misunderstood, donebylee. Pages will *export* flawlessly to Word .doc format via Pages' export function (all formatting will be translated, as will changes and comments information). However, using the "copy and paste" function from Pages to Word or vice versa will give you only the formatted text (which, of course, includes only the text's font, size, style, and that sort of thing). As far as I know, however, using the copy/paste function will *never* bring along additional "document-specific" information like changes and comments, regardless of what word-processing software you're using.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › iWork 08