or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple unveils new line of 20- and 24-inch iMacs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple unveils new line of 20- and 24-inch iMacs - Page 5

post #161 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I thought it was just the notebooks that had 6 bit displays.

Any panel that uses TN Film is 6-bit.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles...chnologies.htm


Someone mentioned the 24" uses a S-PVA panel - I would have preferred S-IPS myself, but both types are true 8-bit display panels.
post #162 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Since Apple moved to Intel they have been getting processors before their Windows counterparts. Don't for the 3GHz Xeons either.

thanks, got it. would be interesting to see any specs different from 2.6 Ghz model

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Reply

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Reply
post #163 of 433
Looks terrific to me. And 1TB hard drive for movies.
post #164 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post

The MacPro tower is both enormous and loud, and the MacMini seems a bit inadequate.

Loud? I'm sitting next to my Mac Pro (on the floor next to my desk). You can barely hear the fan and I'm guessing its the one on the vid card. There's very little other ambient noise.

Vinea
post #165 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

yep, i mean standard. from 512 MB to 1 GB to 2 GB Now.

i take back my initial comment of 2GB RAM, atleast now it is one single stick of 1GB RAM, even though i like 2GB to be standard in the two of high end models.

now, it is easier to buy one single stick of either 1 GB or 2GB ram and put into iMac.

is it easier to upgrade HDD?

CPU soldered rite?

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Reply

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Reply
post #166 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Holy 'Yosemite!'. The G3/400 was introduced in 1999 with up to 128 MB RAM and a 12 GB drive for $2999 and you have the nerve to make such a statement. You have to be kidding.

If you haven't gotten married yet, I would suggest that you don't buy your fiance a ring without her being there.

An uncalled for comment, to be sure. He was referring to the form factor and case design of the G3 and G4 towers, which a lot of people really enjoyed.
post #167 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

Feel like the new design of the iMac is a bit like what happened with BMW a few years back when they re-designed the new 5 series. A misstep. I don't like the black border and the whole thing has a slightly "cheap" feel to it. I would have prefered a black back and all brushed aluminum surface. The front now feels like some of those early cheap widescreen TVs made by Sony.

Has anyone actually sat down in front of one of these things and used it? I mean really...

I thought that the old white ones were plastic-y and cheap looking until I actually sat in front of one. It make a big difference. The iPhone's were the same way, IMO.
post #168 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPepper View Post

I am kinda disappointed in the new design. What is that black frame over the screen? I can't have a computer like this, it bothers my eyes. The old ones were better. Unfortunately, they again did something they think great, but it's not..

My sentiments exactly. The black border around the screen is not only ugly, but would be incredibly distracting to me. Also, what's up with the black on black Apple on the cheap ass looking plastic back cover? Retarded.

The white on white iMacs were much more aesthetically pleasing then these new models, which IMO, are just fugly. The white/black color scheme is not well done. This is all superficial, of course, but a step backwards as far as I'm concerned.

And no, I don't need to sit in front of one to say this. I am not blind.
post #169 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post

An uncalled for comment, to be sure. He was referring to the form factor and case design of the G3 and G4 towers, which a lot of people really enjoyed.

Like hell!
post #170 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

And no, I don't need to sit in front of one to say this. I am not blind.

It just seems to me that several folks are passing judgement on something that they haven't even seen. To expand, I thought the iPhone looked clunky and cheap. But when you actually hold one and use it...(sigh)

The black borders, for the iPhone, really add depth and contrast to the device and make the display really pop. I think that's the reasoning behind the black border for the new iMac.
post #171 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post

It just seems to me that several folks are passing judgement on something that they haven't even seen. To expand, I thought the iPhone looked clunky and cheap. But when you actually hold one and use it...(sigh)

The black borders, for the iPhone, really add depth and contrast to the device and make the display really pop. I think that's the reasoning behind the black border for the new iMac.

i think a big problem with this design is it's similarity with the previous iMac, which most of us hated... i, for one, was expecting something breath taking... and got this.

it's so bad it looks like it was made by dell
post #172 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJay View Post

i think a big problem with this design is it's similarity with the previous iMac, which most of us hated... i, for one, was expecting something breath taking... and got this.

it's so bad it looks like it was made by dell

Ewww, don't say that! But I see what you're getting at. The infamous "chin" is still there too, albeit less Jay Leno-like.

I don't know. I just can't say this is a bad design. They are obviously getting cues from the iPhone, and I'll bet dollars to donuts that new iPods later this year will have similar designs.

I've actually got Dell screens at work with black/silver edges and the contrast is actually quite nice compared to the white (or "PC white" which is matte grayish). But I guess we're just discussing preference now huh?
post #173 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Exactly what did you expect from an all in one design that has design restraints because of the equipment inside?

How much different can it be?

Obviously everyone was expecting the "floating in thin air display, with invisible enclosure".

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #174 of 433
The 2.8MHz Core Duo 2 Extreme (x7900) has the exact same feature set as the 2.6MHz (x7600). The only difference is clockspeed and price.
post #175 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

My sentiments exactly. The black border around the screen is not only ugly, but would be incredibly distracting to me.

Black borders around a display is probably the least distracting option as a matte black surfe is neutral and low-reflection. Most of the high end LCD monitors (except Apple) have black borders around them. I find the aliminum border around Apple Cinema Displays quite distracting.
post #176 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJay View Post

i think a big problem with this design is it's similarity with the previous iMac, which most of us hated... i, for one, was expecting something breath taking... and got this.

it's so bad it looks like it was made by dell

That is because most people on the forum will never be happy with anything. Even if they introduced a teleportation and time traveling device that fits in you pocket, someone would still complain about it.

Just think of the quote, "If your not having fun, lower your standards."





Also, people prefer differnt looks. I hate the gaming pc look with the neon lights beause i think it looks cheap and shitty. I like the simplicity of most of apple products.
post #177 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by macshark View Post

Black borders around a display is probably the least distracting option as a matte black surfe is neutral and low-reflection. Most of the high end LCD monitors (except Apple) have black borders around them. I find the aliminum border around Apple Cinema Displays quite distracting.

Plus, the aluminum blends into the screen. With a black border, the illuminated areas are clearly defined and makes images and programs with black backgrounds look really sleek.
post #178 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme ???
-----------------------------------
Intel site lists 2.6 Ghz, is it a typo or overclocking from 2.6Ghz?

Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme processor2 June '07 (6/3)July '07 (7/22)% Decrease

Mobile (FCPGA6)

X7800 (4M L2 cache 2.60 GHz 800 MHz FSB 65nm) - $851 -

from the CPU price list

seems this time, apple site got lots of problem, many times down and typo as well,

steve said 20" 20 " 24" config, website came with 20" 20" 24" 24" configs

Ignore if already mentioned: It's the Low Power Laptop:

http://www.intel.com/products/proces...e2xe/index.htm

Intel® Core™2 Extreme mobile processor
Experience the world's highest performing mobile processor². Bar none. Now you have the performance to play the latest multi-threaded games anywhere, with the Intel® Core™2 Extreme dual-core mobile processor X7800.


4 MB of shared L2 cache
800 MHz front-side bus

The processor can be fabbed at a higher rate.
post #179 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

I like the simplicity of most of apple products.


that's the thing tho.. this design is anything but simple. i know it's gonna be hard for a computer to be as amazing as the iMac G4, but this one its too weird.. maybe i'll get used to it? but for now for someone reason it doesn't look like it belongs on the apple website
post #180 of 433
I have to agree with the people who don't like the new Imac... the glossy screen is silly! It's difficult at best to work on a glossy monitor if you're anywhere near a window and most of us have windows in our offices and further most people want big windows in their offices especially the execs, photographers and designers apple is marketing to. Aluminum is cool but why the black? It makes the imac look like a cheap piece of electronic gadgetry. Almost like the iphone which is a complete piece of consumer gadgetry in my opinion. Multi touch is so much more revolutionary than the iphone reveals I hate the fact that apple chose the iphone for it's first venture into multitouch. Still waiting for the elusive tablet and most people right about now are thinking OMG another tablet dork but I think for casual computing and interfacing it's a brilliant option. I've been using my converted macbook for several months now for character designing and I love it. I know apple could do it better but they haven't tried at all. "back to black"... If you have to make the new imac "look that cool" then you're lending to the perception that you're being cheated in some way, it looks cheap like the zune or some friggin glossy cheap boombox from the 80's. Don't try so hard apple.. the aluminum display was cool enough. i like the fact that it comes standard with 1 gb of ram now.. to be honest that was the only thing I thought was a bitch when I purchased a couple of 24" imacs "off the shelf" but my crew has loved them otherwise now that they've got the full 3 gb's of ram. Do the new Imacs support 4gb yet? that would be a huge plus but then I suppose you'd want to edit on the thing and Apple couldn't force you to buy a tower for FCP (4gb of ram recommended) if you're only into "firewire" capture and output or even better offline editing which we have a huge need for inexpensive "offline edit suites". Towers minus the decklink extreme etc etc have worked well for us but a sleek little imac would be "tits" in my frugal opinion. I think the chin should have been dealt with as well, but my wife loves it for her post-its and others have said does make it 'easy to grab' so I guess some people can appreciate it. The glossy display is definitely going to make me wait for a non glossy version of the display to come out or buy something else even though our studio needs a couple more imacs for lite photography and design stuff we have huge windows in our studios and my assistants glossy macbook stinks in terms of the glare problems she has... guess I should start looking on ebay for "sealed in box" imacs now.... not cool cuz i hate ebay... nice try apple looking forward to the next revision!
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
post #181 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Like the 3.0ghz Quad core Xeon X5365 in the Mac Pro, Apple is getting the X7900 while its still in limited production.

This is highly unlikely. Do you actually have any evidence of the X7900 part number?

What is much, much more likely is that it is an X7800 clocked at 2.8 GHz. The Core 2 Extremes have their multiplier "unlocked", so OEMs can run them at any speed they feel comfortable with.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #182 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post

Plus, the aluminum blends into the screen. With a black border, the illuminated areas are clearly defined and makes images and programs with black backgrounds look really sleek.

if that were true why don't the aluminum display already have that feature; Dear lord don't; let apple change their display as well! How many programs do you use that have black borders. Not AE, not maya not lightwave, not FCP not photoshop (most of the time), not dreamweaver, not flash , color and shake sort of "they're more grey" but those apps aren't even really "apple". Maybe aperture but I have no purpose for wedding photographers tools... and on the consumer end of things not office not safari, not mail, nor entourage, not toast not Imovie nor Idvd. I think you're pretty much imagining things to justify an otherwise bad design choice, but if you can build a case perhaps I'll capitulate to you're argument if a cogent argument could even be made.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
post #183 of 433
is the video card in the new iMacs better or worse than the one in the macbook pros?
MBA 13" i7/4GB/256GB

C2D MBP 2.33GHZ/2 Gig/120 Gig/256MB
Reply
MBA 13" i7/4GB/256GB

C2D MBP 2.33GHZ/2 Gig/120 Gig/256MB
Reply
post #184 of 433
is the gpu in the new iMacs better than the one in the MBP's?
MBA 13" i7/4GB/256GB

C2D MBP 2.33GHZ/2 Gig/120 Gig/256MB
Reply
MBA 13" i7/4GB/256GB

C2D MBP 2.33GHZ/2 Gig/120 Gig/256MB
Reply
post #185 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

I have to agree with the people who don't like the new Imac... the glossy screen is silly! It's difficult at best to work on a glossy monitor if you're anywhere near a window and most of us have windows in our offices and further most people want big windows in their offices especially the execs, photographers and designers apple is marketing to. Aluminum is cool but why the black? It makes the imac look like a cheap piece of electronic gadgetry. Almost like the iphone which is a complete piece of consumer gadgetry in my opinion. Multi touch is so much more revolutionary than the iphone reveals I hate the fact that apple chose the iphone for it's first venture into multitouch. Still waiting for the elusive tablet and most people right about now are thinking OMG another tablet dork but I think for casual computing and interfacing it's a brilliant option. I've been using my converted macbook for several months now for character designing and I love it. I know apple could do it better but they haven't tried at all. "back to black"... If you have to make the new imac "look that cool" then you're lending to the perception that you're being cheated in some way, it looks cheap like the zune or some friggin glossy cheap boombox from the 80's. Don't try so hard apple.. the aluminum display was cool enough. i like the fact that it comes standard with 1 gb of ram now.. to be honest that was the only thing I thought was a bitch when I purchased a couple of 24" imacs "off the shelf" but my crew has loved them otherwise now that they've got the full 3 gb's of ram. Do the new Imacs support 4gb yet? that would be a huge plus but then I suppose you'd want to edit on the thing and Apple couldn't force you to buy a tower for FCP (4gb of ram recommended) if you're only into "firewire" capture and output or even better offline editing which we have a huge need for inexpensive "offline edit suites". Towers minus the decklink extreme etc etc have worked well for us but a sleek little imac would be "tits" in my frugal opinion. I think the chin should have been dealt with as well, but my wife loves it for her post-its and others have said does make it 'easy to grab' so I guess some people can appreciate it. The glossy display is definitely going to make me wait for a non glossy version of the display to come out or buy something else even though our studio needs a couple more imacs for lite photography and design stuff we have huge windows in our studios and my assistants glossy macbook stinks in terms of the glare problems she has... guess I should start looking on ebay for "sealed in box" imacs now.... not cool cuz i hate ebay... nice try apple looking forward to the next revision!

What? That's a big mass of words. There exists a concept called "white space". It looks like you used proper caps only one time.
post #186 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by l33r0y View Post

Any panel that uses TN Film is 6-bit.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles...chnologies.htm


I was talking about within the Apple product line, I thought that the Apple iMacs & monitors were 8 bit, and their notebooks were 6 bit.
post #187 of 433
sorry double post read below
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
post #188 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

What? That's a big mass of words. There exists a concept called "white space". It looks like you used proper caps only one time.

guess I had allot to say... overall point is... I'll be buying old imacs off of ebay or some other source for my studio. hate the glossy display, hate the black border! sorry if you don't have the attention span; I thought this was a web forum. Should I really be concerned about formatting? I just type as I think on places like this but I suppose I'm busier than many other dorks out there... or I'm not and you're just overly sensative... I've seen plenty of misspellings and contrived confabulation left and right and I don't take time out of my day to criticize poor grammar , formatting and punctuation on a web forum. Are you the MLA authority for web forums? lighten up dude if you don't want to read it skip it!
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
post #189 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Should I really be concerned about formatting? I just type as I think on places like this but I suppose I'm busier than many other dorks out there... or I'm not and you're just overly sensative... I've seen plenty of misspellings and contrived confabulation left and right and I don't take time out of my day to criticize poor grammar , formatting and punctuation on a web forum. Are you the MLA authority for web forums? lighten up dude if you don't want to read it skip it!

What's the point of posting your opinion on a publicly-accessible forum and then not making it readable?

Formatting, grammar and spelling are all important for maximising readability and comprehensibility, and for ensuring that you are writing what you actually mean.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #190 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't agree with that at all. I think this is a beautiful machine, much better than the old ones, which looked pretty good when they came out.

Some guys will never be happy.

I'm with Mel!

It's a beautiful machine, and anyone who disagrees with us for whatever reason is someone who will never be happy. With anything! Ever!
post #191 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

What's the point of posting your opinion on a publicly-accessible forum and then not making it readable?

Formatting, grammar and spelling are all important for maximising readability and comprehensibility, and for ensuring that you are writing what you actually mean.

Dude, he's too high to know what he's doing! He's the Spliff Monkey!
post #192 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post

I'm with Mel!

It's a beautiful machine, and anyone who disagrees with us for whatever reason is someone who will never be happy. With anything! Ever!

It could have been 12" thick and colored like the G3 "Flower Power" iMac and I wouldn't have cared, it's just nice to finally see a COMPUTER on the Apple.com front page again...
post #193 of 433
I have to say that at first I wasn't too thrilled with the new design when I first saw it, but it's growing on me. For some reason, I find most of the mockups on the Apple website tacky-looking, but the live photos actually look pretty nice. I'll have to see it in person.

My only real concern is that glossy screen. I know I've had a lot of color issues on my MacBook, but is it just because it's only 6-bit? Does anyone know if color calibration devices would have problems with the glass covering?
post #194 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

guess I had allot to say... overall point is... I'll be buying old imacs off of ebay or some other source for my studio. hate the glossy display, hate the black border! sorry if you don't have the attention span; I thought this was a web forum. Should I really be concerned about formatting? I just type as I think on places like this but I suppose I'm busier than many other dorks out there... or I'm not and you're just overly sensative... I've seen plenty of misspellings and contrived confabulation left and right and I don't take time out of my day to criticize poor grammar , formatting and punctuation on a web forum. Are you the MLA authority for web forums? lighten up dude if you don't want to read it skip it!

Are you kidding? We're Apple fanatics. Appearances mean everything!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #195 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokarran View Post

I have to say that at first I wasn't too thrilled with the new design when I first saw it, but it's growing on me. For some reason, I find most of the mockups on the Apple website tacky-looking, but the live photos actually look pretty nice. I'll have to see it in person.

I still can't work out why Apple can't put real photos on their website. Why must it always fall to places like AI to provide good photography of Apple hardware?
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #196 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

This is highly unlikely. Do you actually have any evidence of the X7900 part number?

What is much, much more likely is that it is an X7800 clocked at 2.8 GHz. The Core 2 Extremes have their multiplier "unlocked", so OEMs can run them at any speed they feel comfortable with.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/16/i...clocked-to-3g/
post #197 of 433
Quote:

Thanks for the link.

So, until someone opens up a 2.8 GHz iMac, we have no way of knowing whether it's an X7800 or X7900 inside.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #198 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Thanks for the link.

So, until someone opens up a 2.8 GHz iMac, we have no way of knowing whether it's an X7800 or X7900 inside.

The official launch for the 7900 is supposed to be September, so I think Apple just got their hands on them a month early.
post #199 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Thanks for the link.

So, until someone opens up a 2.8 GHz iMac, we have no way of knowing whether it's an X7800 or X7900 inside.

Woah, woah, woah, back the heck up! All you have to do is check System Profiler. Or, failing that, load Windows, download CPU-Z, and check that. It should be able to tell you the part number, or at least give you a serial number that you can check.
post #200 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post

It's a beautiful machine, and anyone who disagrees with us for whatever reason is someone who will never be happy. With anything! Ever!

You've just described 90% of the people who post to AI!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple unveils new line of 20- and 24-inch iMacs