or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple unveils new line of 20- and 24-inch iMacs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple unveils new line of 20- and 24-inch iMacs - Page 6

post #201 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Obviously everyone was expecting the "floating in thin air display, with invisible enclosure".

I guess you're right.

I don't agree with them. Apple is doing what they can with the design.

It's interesting that one of the things they don't like is something that Tv manufacturers researched for a long time and found to be an advantage, which is the black border.

It's also an advantage for any color editing. Sadly, standards have gone downtown over the years. It used to be considered a necessity to have a black, or at least a grey, surround around the screen, so as not to knock off the color adaptation of one's eyes.

But, I guess some people just like complaining.
post #202 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJay View Post

that's the thing tho.. this design is anything but simple. i know it's gonna be hard for a computer to be as amazing as the iMac G4, but this one its too weird.. maybe i'll get used to it? but for now for someone reason it doesn't look like it belongs on the apple website

You mean the ugly "lampshade" model?

That's a joke. It was certainly interesting, and looked goodfor a while.
post #203 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Apple is doing what they can with the design.

Not quite. The adjustability of the monitor could be a lot better without having to revert to the old G4 style iMac
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #204 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

if that were true why don't the aluminum display already have that feature; Dear lord don't; let apple change their display as well! How many programs do you use that have black borders. Not AE, not maya not lightwave, not FCP not photoshop (most of the time), not dreamweaver, not flash , color and shake sort of "they're more grey" but those apps aren't even really "apple". Maybe aperture but I have no purpose for wedding photographers tools... and on the consumer end of things not office not safari, not mail, nor entourage, not toast not Imovie nor Idvd. I think you're pretty much imagining things to justify an otherwise bad design choice, but if you can build a case perhaps I'll capitulate to you're argument if a cogent argument could even be made.

Perhaps you may have noticed that the monitors are a bit long in the tooth.

Also, they are only monitors. Apple went for the svelt look with as little bezel as they could use. Not the best for color work, but it looks snazzy.

An iMac has far more components inside, so they need more room. There also needs to be room for the heat to rise. It can't be too small.
post #205 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I was talking about within the Apple product line, I thought that the Apple iMacs & monitors were 8 bit, and their notebooks were 6 bit.

Before the update, the 20 and 24 were 24 bit (8 bit per channel) displays.

After the update, I think the 20 inch uses a 6 but TN film, based on the viewing angle, which has been reduced to 160 degrees.
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
Reply
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
Reply
post #206 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

guess I had allot to say... overall point is... I'll be buying old imacs off of ebay or some other source for my studio. hate the glossy display, hate the black border! sorry if you don't have the attention span; I thought this was a web forum. Should I really be concerned about formatting? I just type as I think on places like this but I suppose I'm busier than many other dorks out there... or I'm not and you're just overly sensative... I've seen plenty of misspellings and contrived confabulation left and right and I don't take time out of my day to criticize poor grammar , formatting and punctuation on a web forum. Are you the MLA authority for web forums? lighten up dude if you don't want to read it skip it!

Talk about dorky!

It's called respect. If you want people to read what you say, and appreciate your ideas then you should not make it to difficult for them to read.

If you can't take the time to make it easier, why should anyone take the time to muddle through it?

And, if you think that we're so dorky, why do you bother coming here at all? Go somewhere else where the people are just like you, undorky, and all that.
post #207 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokarran View Post

I have to say that at first I wasn't too thrilled with the new design when I first saw it, but it's growing on me. For some reason, I find most of the mockups on the Apple website tacky-looking, but the live photos actually look pretty nice. I'll have to see it in person.

My only real concern is that glossy screen. I know I've had a lot of color issues on my MacBook, but is it just because it's only 6-bit? Does anyone know if color calibration devices would have problems with the glass covering?

No they won't.

A properly designed color calibrator shields the sensors from ambient lighting.

Don't forget that until recently, LCD's couldn't be calibrated at all. All the calibrators were designed for CRT's, which surprisingly enough, are glass. They are also from .5 to 1.0 inch thick in the front. One of the concerns years ago, when manufacturers went to frosted screens on crt's, was whether the calibrators would work properly because of the diffusion caused by that. But, it didn't prove to be a problem.
noticeable
If anything, a glossy screen should be more accurately calibrated, but not by enough so that it should be noticeable.
post #208 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You mean the ugly "lampshade" model?

That's a joke. It was certainly interesting, and looked good—for a while.

That's odd, it also seems to be the most-used Apple desktop as a movie or TV show prop. I don't remember seeing the G5 or newer models as often, the one time was on War at Home.
post #209 of 433
Quote:

Good catch. The timing seems just about right, don't you think?
post #210 of 433
I couldn't find the specs on the thickness of the display on the website but I was wondering if the new slimness would affect the sound quality since the speakers would likely be a bit different now.

Not that the sound was all that astounding in the previous model, but I'm hoping that it isn't any worse.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #211 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Not quite. The adjustability of the monitor could be a lot better without having to revert to the old G4 style iMac

Sure, that's different though. People here are complaining about the color, the border, the "chin", the black back, etc.

Unfortunately, you seem to be talking about a "real" issue.

That's not allowed.
post #212 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That's odd, it also seems to be the most-used Apple desktop as a movie or TV show prop. I don't remember seeing the G5 or newer models as often, the one time was on War at Home.

Let's see, Apple pays how much for product placement?
post #213 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You mean the ugly "lampshade" model?

That's a joke. It was certainly interesting, and looked goodfor a while.

My G4 iMac prefers to be known as the beautiful "sunflower" model.

Seriously though, my all time favorite Mac.............at least to date.
post #214 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

guess I had allot to say... overall point is... I'll be buying old imacs off of ebay or some other source for my studio. hate the glossy display, hate the black border! sorry if you don't have the attention span; I thought this was a web forum. Should I really be concerned about formatting? I just type as I think on places like this but I suppose I'm busier than many other dorks out there... or I'm not and you're just overly sensative... I've seen plenty of misspellings and contrived confabulation left and right and I don't take time out of my day to criticize poor grammar , formatting and punctuation on a web forum. Are you the MLA authority for web forums? lighten up dude if you don't want to read it skip it!

Dude, when I saw your post, I tried to read it, and it just made me dizzy. I tried again and toppled over. Even now, just thinking about it, I am writhing and twisting on the ground in epilectic siezure.
post #215 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Let's see, Apple pays how much for product placement?

I really don't know. Which way are you implying?

If they thought it was ugly, I really don't think they'd be so quick to put it on the set. It just seemed to be there for the coolness sake than anything else.
post #216 of 433
Personally, I am still undecided on the new design. I'll get a first hand encounter tomorrow before I make up my mind.

That said, I'm glad to see the chin stay. I like the chin for the personality it brings to the face of the iMacs. But with this design refresh, I wish they would have squared the edges off a little bit more akin to theCinema Displays and gave the Apple logo the same treatment as on the side of the Mac Pros. (See attached)




Ive gets the look he was going for, with a bit more refinement to the design. Just my opinion; not stating fact.
post #217 of 433
Glossy? Who wants light glare on a screen? Why on earth would this be a good feature? I have to start thinking about the Mini now that it has 1 Gb RAM and the better chip. Add a 17 inch LCD and Im set. Crappy graphics but it cant be worse than the G4 ibook Im using. Or can it?
post #218 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerer View Post

Personally, I am still undecided on the new design. I'll get a first hand encounter tomorrow before I make up my mind.

That said, I'm glad to see the chin stay. I like the chin for the personality it brings to the face of the iMacs. But with this design refresh, I wish they would have squared the edges off a little bit more akin to theCinema Displays and gave the Apple logo the same treatment as on the side of the Mac Pros. (See attached)





Ive gets the look he was going for, with a bit more refinement to the design. Just my opinion; not stating fact.

Thats Hot!

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Reply

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Reply
post #219 of 433
For a side-by-side comparison of the new iMac versus my preferred look:

-
post #220 of 433
If they went with an Apple Cinema Display type design, the prevailing comment would be they were devoid of newer ideas. If they removed the chin, and made it thicker, people would have call it fat. If they made it all plastic, people would complain because of the extra fans, since it was missing an aluminum heat sink

It is what it is Apple trying to go in a slightly different direction.

Personally, I would have liked to see a few chrome accents like the G4 iMac and iPhone as well as a flat back.

I known this is me being Captain Obvious, but this thing is going to have multi touch in the next 12 18 months. I know Our Master said this was a research project, but come on, do you really expect him to show their long term strategy?
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
Reply
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
Reply
post #221 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I really don't know. Which way are you implying?

If they thought it was ugly, I really don't think they'd be so quick to put it on the set. It just seemed to be there for the coolness sake than anything else.

No. It's there because it's paid for. That how all products get on Tv. movies, and even other commercials.

When you see Mac's in other product's commercials, it because Apple's product placement agency paid for it to be there. On a couple of shows that used Macs, you will now see Dells. Why? Because they outbid.

Coolness has nothing to do with it, though it seems nice to think so.

It's all about the money.

Think about it. Several years ago you NEVER saw a brand name, unless it was something like a car, which was too obvious to conceal. And even then the auto makers paid for that.

It's become very prevalent today, with every brand you see having been paid for.

It's in response to the backlash against the continuing onslaught of advertising. Some shows on Tv are even using the products as part of the show, mentioning names etc.

There is consideration of having shows without ads at all. The show time would be paid instead by active use of products during the show itself. You're seeing bits of it emerge now. Even in film.

That was taboo years ago.
post #222 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve666 View Post

Glossy? Who wants light glare on a screen? Why on earth would this be a good feature? I have to start thinking about the Mini now that it has 1 Gb RAM and the better chip. Add a 17 inch LCD and Im set. Crappy graphics but it cant be worse than the G4 ibook Im using. Or can it?

Strange though it may be, I would suspect that a majority of people prefer glossy screens.

They are very popular in the PC world, and the MB sales certainly haven't been hurt by it.

I can't imagine that Apple would use it for a premier product if they hadn't done the product research that showed that most people would prefer it.

Why don't you check it out first?
post #223 of 433
Anyone know where I can find that amazing picture of Angelina Jolie in various resolutions?
post #224 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No. It's there because it's paid for. That how all products get on Tv. movies, and even other commercials.

When you see Mac's in other product's commercials, it because Apple's product placement agency paid for it to be there. On a couple of shows that used Macs, you will now see Dells. Why? Because they outbid.

Coolness has nothing to do with it, though it seems nice to think so.

It's all about the money.

Think about it. Several years ago you NEVER saw a brand name, unless it was something like a car, which was too obvious to conceal. And even then the auto makers paid for that.

It's become very prevalent today, with every brand you see having been paid for.

It's in response to the backlash against the continuing onslaught of advertising. Some shows on Tv are even using the products as part of the show, mentioning names etc.

There is consideration of having shows without ads at all. The show time would be paid instead by active use of products during the show itself. You're seeing bits of it emerge now. Even in film.

That was taboo years ago.

You mean to tell us that SG 1 does not use Dell Laptops because they are the best for interfacing with alien technology ?
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
Reply
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
Reply
post #225 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacillus View Post

You mean to tell us that SG 1 does not use Dell Laptops because they are the best for interfacing with alien technology ?

Well, they must be better than Mac's, because they only used them for a while.
post #226 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post

Anyone know where I can find that amazing picture of Angelina Jolie in various resolutions?

I second that request!!!

Link please!!!!
post #227 of 433
I must say, my criticism of the new look has been tempered a bit after the photo of Angelina on it. Looks pretty good. Where's my credit card?
post #228 of 433
Fugly. I'll keep my white iMac thanks. I don't want a 24" iPhone on a stand.
post #229 of 433
My big want to know is if the macs have a socket CPU (for homemade future upgrades)

And

At what speeds are the harddrives running (RPM)

From the previous admin of hotline's server99 back in the old days when harddrives where expensive.

Oh and for your wireless freaks.. check out the alfa 500mw usb wireless card.

First post, hope is was usefull..
post #230 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerer View Post

For a side-by-side comparison of the new iMac versus my preferred look:

-

I prefer the rounded one. It's alotmore friendlier than the one with the sharp edges.
post #231 of 433
Guys, guys! I need you to have another look at this marvel! It is a worthy and stunning replacement of the white brick!

The black border is grabbing your attention. You are sucked into whatever application that is running on your iMac!

And it does make the chin look a lot less pronounced unlike the previous white iMac.
post #232 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

And it does make the chin look a lot less pronounced unlike the previous white iMac.

I like the chin. It gave the design weight, raised the screen and it's somewhere to stick your postits. I'm glad they kept it.

Saying that, I think the design is all over the place. The black border is horrible. I thought we'd got rid of screens with borders with CRTs. The glossy glass screen over the front is annoying. The black plastic back, cheap, but at least I don't have to look at that.

Then they add a white and silver keyboard ? Huh? At least they could have made that black and silver to match the 80s NAD hi-fi aesthetic. I'm puzzled by the lack of keypad and full cursor keys on the bluetooth keyboard too. I'd still like a full keyboard but wireless.

And you've only a choice of gargantuan screens now too. I liked the 17" and it was perfect for business use or in smaller spaces like student dorms.

If they'd just not had the black border and the gloss screen I'd be checking my bank balance but I'm really going to have to go look at one first. I bought my parents a Macbook at Christmas and the glossy screen on that drove me nuts after my nice matte screen but if the iMac's LCD is brighter it might be more liveable with.

I wonder if Colorware have started offering them in white yet ?
post #233 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post

I'm with Mel!

It's a beautiful machine, and anyone who disagrees with us for whatever reason is someone who will never be happy. With anything! Ever!

It is a beautiful machine, but I based on decisions based on how it matches my requirements rather than how it matches my desk. With the processor and graphics card, it's a upper low to lower medium end desktop. I'm looking high medium to low high, exactly where the giant gap in Apple's lineup is.
post #234 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No. It's there because it's paid for. That how all products get on Tv. movies, and even other commercials.

When you see Mac's in other product's commercials, it because Apple's product placement agency paid for it to be there. On a couple of shows that used Macs, you will now see Dells. Why? Because they outbid.

Coolness has nothing to do with it, though it seems nice to think so.

It's all about the money.

Think about it. Several years ago you NEVER saw a brand name, unless it was something like a car, which was too obvious to conceal. And even then the auto makers paid for that.

It's become very prevalent today, with every brand you see having been paid for.

It's in response to the backlash against the continuing onslaught of advertising. Some shows on Tv are even using the products as part of the show, mentioning names etc.

There is consideration of having shows without ads at all. The show time would be paid instead by active use of products during the show itself. You're seeing bits of it emerge now. Even in film.

That was taboo years ago.

i read somewhere that apple didn't pay them for product placement... which would explain why the G4 and G3 models are more featured than the most recent ones...

if apple DOES pay for product placement, wouldn't they want to have the most recent product on set?

i think they might pay for some and might not for others... i will shamefully admit that i watched the OC and when the series first started, there were iMacs G4 everywhere. the houses, the school... as it progressed, it changed to the G5... the same place that was once occupied by a G4 on the kid's desk, there was now a G5. however there was constantly a sticky on top of the apple logo god knows why that was there. it's clearly a mac

queer as folk was another good example. it started out full of colored iMacs and by the end of the series you could see iMac G4s and Cubes all over the place...
post #235 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No. It's there because it's paid for. That how all products get on Tv. movies, and even other commercials.

When you see Mac's in other product's commercials, it because Apple's product placement agency paid for it to be there. On a couple of shows that used Macs, you will now see Dells. Why? Because they outbid.

Coolness has nothing to do with it, though it seems nice to think so.

It's all about the money.

Why would Apple pay for the product placement where the logo is hidden or obscured? Why would Apple pay for product placement where the obsolete product is shown? Especially one that is supposedly considered an ugly failure?
post #236 of 433
Euwww...

http://www.engadget.com/gallery/appl...nds-on/343535/

Those reflections are terrible.
post #237 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

I prefer the rounded one. It's alotmore friendlier than the one with the sharp edges.

They could be a little more consistent though. If you'll look, the top corners of a window is rounded, the bottom is squared. The menu bar is rounded at the top, the bottom of the screen is squared. On the iMac, all the corners on the front face are rounded.
post #238 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No. It's there because it's paid for. That how all products get on Tv. movies, and even other commercials.

When you see Mac's in other product's commercials, it because Apple's product placement agency paid for it to be there.

I seem to recall reading that Apple never pays for product placement. (Anyone remember the source for this?)
post #239 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Euwww...

http://www.engadget.com/gallery/appl...nds-on/343535/

Those reflections are terrible.

Yikes!

The reflections could end up being a horrible, horrible problem...definitely need to see one in person.


So, I guess aluminum is the new white, and black is the new chrome?
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
post #240 of 433
Kids these days and their matte screens.

Don't cha know, back in the day, all screens were made of glass and they were all glossy. Back then, there were also some vocal anti-reflectionists. But we weren't so politically correct in the CRT era. We made em buy aftermarket glare guards. You'd see those poor schlubs with contraptions hanging off their monitors like a permanent set of full head-gear braces.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple unveils new line of 20- and 24-inch iMacs