or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple unveils new line of 20- and 24-inch iMacs

Apple unveils new line of 20- and 24-inch iMacs - Page 2

post #41 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfdesign View Post

Does this mean a Macbook pro update is nearing now? Why buy a 2.4GhZ MacBook "Pro" with 200GB HD, when the iMac has this beat by 400Mhz, and 100+ GB storage, 1 extra GB of RAM capability... the list goes on and on. They should call this thing "iMac Pro".

The 24in iMac is a GREAT deal. I was just about to buy the 17in. Macbook Pro, now I am not so certain.

1. The 2.8 Ghz chip is not a laptop chip. 2.4 is the best intel chip in any laptop
2. They just updated the MBP two months ago
3. It's a desktop versus a laptop. The laptop is always going to lag in terms of HD space (although I do think they were a little chincy with this revision in that regard).
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #42 of 433
Aluminium = great!
Choice of 2.8 processor = great!
2600 Pro video chip = Nooooooooooooooooo!

This chip is a dud and Apple have jumped right on the bandwagon. It is ATIs worst work in ages.

But because it is $30 less than NVidia that is all that matters to the suits at Apple.
post #43 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfdesign View Post

Does this mean a Macbook pro update is nearing now? Why buy a 2.4GhZ MacBook "Pro" with 200GB HD, when the iMac has this beat by 400Mhz, and 100+ GB storage, 1 extra GB of RAM capability... the list goes on and on. They should call this thing "iMac Pro".

The 24in iMac is a GREAT deal. I was just about to buy the 17in. Macbook Pro, now I am not so certain.

The iMac has a larger screen, is thicker and has a chin. That all together allows for use of 3.5" drives which explains the larger drive capacity. The 24" iMac has a very much larger housing than even a 17" MBP, makes it possible to cool a 2.8 GHz processor in it. And the MBP supports 4 GB RAM as well.

There is not much that could be updated in the MBPs.
post #44 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by makhaira View Post

I have been waiting and waiting for this announcement to replace my aging G5 iMac. But a glossy screen? Come on! I mostly use my computer for photo editing and having a glossy screen is a no no. Oh well, I guess I will be waiting a little longer until I can save up enough for a Mac Pro and a real monitor. I suppose that is what Jobs had i mind the whole time!

Actually, you're wrong. I had the photo editing areas in my company controlled as to lighting and color. You aren't supposed to do color work with a bright lighting setup impinging the screen.

If you keep the lights down as you are supposed to do, and keep them from directly lighting the screen, then you'll be fine. Glossy screens actually give better color and contrast, with deeper blacks.
post #45 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

This chip is a dud and Apple have jumped right on the bandwagon. It is ATIs worst work in ages.

I don't think 3D games performance @ 1920x1200 was on their mind, when they selected the gpu

Personally I'm more happy about full bitstream VC1 acceleration in hw, IF ATI provides the drivers for that (that's a big if).
post #46 of 433
Looks like Apple Store couldn't keep up with the demand for new iMacs!

:-)
post #47 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post

A "pro" will have little use for a glossy screen and a shit GPU.

I'd never use an iMac then or now for Pro use... yes it's more powerful than a Macbook Pro but you can't really compare the two in that way, for a laptop the Macbook Pro is very powerful... it's a portable computer! And for a portable computer the Macbook Pro packs a punch, and despite it's extra processing power blah blah I don't see you or anyone else slinging a 24in iMac under their arm to use on the train...
MBP / 15.4" Glossy TFT / C2D 2.4GHz (Santa Rosa) / 4GB DDR2 RAM / 320GB 5400RPM HDD / GeForce 8600M GT 256MB /
Mac OS X 10.5.6 & Windows XP Pro SP3 (Boot Camp & Parallels)
Apple Authorised Reseller...
MBP / 15.4" Glossy TFT / C2D 2.4GHz (Santa Rosa) / 4GB DDR2 RAM / 320GB 5400RPM HDD / GeForce 8600M GT 256MB /
Mac OS X 10.5.6 & Windows XP Pro SP3 (Boot Camp & Parallels)
Apple Authorised Reseller...
post #48 of 433
Can that new keyboard be ordered alone for use with my Mac Pro tower??? I would love to use it!!
post #49 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJaxon View Post

I'd never use an iMac then or now for Pro use... yes it's more powerful than a Macbook Pro but you can't really compare the two in that way, for a laptop the Macbook Pro is very powerful... it's a portable computer! And for a portable computer the Macbook Pro packs a punch, and despite it's extra processing power blah blah I don't see you or anyone else slinging a 24in iMac under their arm to use on the train...

What the hell are you talking about?

RTFT, I was responding to someone who was trying to choose between a MacBook Pro and an iMac.

post #50 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by riversky View Post

Can that new keyboard be ordered alone for use with my Mac Pro tower??? I would love to use it!!

It is available at the Apple store (or it was before it went down again...)
post #51 of 433
UK Apple Store is up!!!

Before the US!!!

==================================
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
==================================
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
post #52 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

1. The 2.8 Ghz chip is not a laptop chip. 2.4 is the best intel chip in any laptop

Not anymore. It's the $1000 Core 2 Extreme X7900
post #53 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfoniq View Post

Apple Store is up and running. Mac Mini has been quietly refreshed. 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM and 120 GB HDD. I'm placing my order now...
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...cts/AppleStore

Store works fine for me, check out the ad for the new iMacs.
http://www.apple.com/imac/ads/

Update: Apple Store is behaving badly, I guess they're still updating it.

How much?
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
post #54 of 433
I note that this is the first ever iMac that comes with only Apple (no third party) software and absolutely NO GAMES! I thought they were supposed to be pushing games this year...
post #55 of 433
Apple didn't release the triple quad-core duo 4.99 Ghz ultralight with 750GB flash memory, an NGeorgeousia 9850GXVT graphics card and 72 hour battery life I had expected them to for $399. Boy, am I bummed.

In the mean time, I just placed my order for iLife and iWork, and will pick up the new iMac in November after I get to see one in person (I want to see the color coordination first).

I think the specs are pretty nice and the extra HD space will be needed. FW 800 will really help for backing up video.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #56 of 433
It is a Core 2 Extreme X7900. If it were a desktop motherboard, we probably would have seen a quad as the upgrade option.
post #57 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnate326 View Post

My thoughts exactly. Why did it take so long to change the color, add a black ring and make it a little faster? Also, is the mouse white, while the rest is alum/black? Looks like I will pick up a White iMac and match.

I think the black border will look better in 10.5, with the new menu bar, dock etc. More cool, less playful.

As for 'play' someone at Apple PR REALLY needs to work on their mock-up photoshopping skills:
zoom from offical iMac profile shot....

Good for <del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks
<del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks for Good
Good for <del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks
<del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks for Good
post #58 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by sezme View Post

I note that this is the first ever iMac that comes with only Apple (no third party) software and absolutely NO GAMES! I thought they were supposed to be pushing games this year...

Yeah, the iMac used to come with a great little software bundle, now it comes with none. It seems like the deal keeps getting a little worse every time out.
post #59 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstranathan View Post

How much?

Prices have not changed. It's $599 for the low end (1GB RAM, 1.83 GHz, 80GB HDD) model and $799 for the (1GB RAM, 2 GHz, 120GB HDD. And both are now Intel Core 2 Duos .
post #60 of 433
Didn't SJ say something about these iMacs being "Off The Charts" or something similar to this? I don't see anything off the charts about these.
Bring back The Screen Savers!
Bring back The Screen Savers!
post #61 of 433
24" iMac to go please..!
zenga
zenga
post #62 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

No goddamned minitower... guess I'll have to wait till next year... DAMNIT!!!

hope springs eternal Just you and me MsNly, I guess...
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
post #63 of 433
Could it be that the glossy/glass screens are being implemented now for a future multi-touch upgrade?
post #64 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubit View Post

hope springs eternal Just you and me MsNly, I guess...

My hope in Apple to make an affordable machine as practical and usable as the operating system is just about gone. Instead we shall get products like the iMac where form is significantly more important than function.
post #65 of 433
Just ordered mine

20 inch
2.4GHz
1GB RAM
500GB Hard Disk

£1,009.00

Now all I have to do is wait
post #66 of 433
I'm confused about the wireless keyboard. Why did we have to lose the number pad?

m

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #67 of 433
I'm really disappointed in the GPU offering....I hope we can upgrade to something better.
post #68 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyon View Post

I don't think 3D games performance @ 1920x1200 was on their mind, when they selected the gpu

Personally I'm more happy about full bitstream VC1 acceleration in hw, IF ATI provides the drivers for that (that's a big if).

Apple writes their own drivers for chipsets they offer directly.
post #69 of 433
no numeric keys on the keyboard? or the photos is off

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #70 of 433
Was really hoping to hear that buy the iMac now and get a free upgrade to Leopard in 3 months...Killing me to wait for the free upgrade coupon.....

24" iMac, 2 MB Pros, iPad Version 1, 2 x (iPhone 4s), Apple TV 3, a Shuffle and a couple of iTouches somewhere in the house. Spot on wall reserved for an Apple TV of some description. Oh yeah..and...

24" iMac, 2 MB Pros, iPad Version 1, 2 x (iPhone 4s), Apple TV 3, a Shuffle and a couple of iTouches somewhere in the house. Spot on wall reserved for an Apple TV of some description. Oh yeah..and...

post #71 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

no numeric keys on the keyboard? or the photos is off

There's two different keyboards.....the standard wired USB (which has a 10 key pad) and the compact bluetooth version (no 10 key)
post #72 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Apple didn't release the triple quad-core duo 4.99 Ghz ultralight with 750GB flash memory, an NGeorgeousia 9850GXVT graphics card and 72 hour battery life I had expected them to for $399. Boy, am I bummed.

In the mean time, I just placed my order for iLife and iWork, and will pick up the new iMac in November after I get to see one in person (I want to see the color coordination first).

I think the specs are pretty nice and the extra HD space will be needed. FW 800 will really help for backing up video.

Agreed. These are fine systems for doing 90% of the market needs.

The Pro Machines are for the 10% of the Markets.

Now, when they offer future Cinema's, Mac Pros and OpenGL 2.1 GPUs for CAD/CAM and FEM Modeling, etc., then I'll know Apple really wants the Engineering/SIGGRAPH/ParticlePhysics, etc., Government/University/etc., Commercial/Research markets.

These machines are a great update.

The FW800 is a great addition for these machines.

I buy Game Consoles for Games.
post #73 of 433
The best part is the standard memory is 1 stick so you dont have to throw out a stick to upgrade to 2GB or 3GB. Rock on Apple!
post #74 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Could it be that the glossy/glass screens are being implemented now for a future multi-touch upgrade?

That and it's a lot easier to clean these screens.
post #75 of 433
The black border around the screen looks really jarring to me. The old iMacs had a much more consistent theme with the white. I think aluminum is cool, but why mix two colors? Why is the back black? I think it would look so much more sleek if the entire thing was a unified color.

Also, so much for a smaller chin.
post #76 of 433
so am i the only person here who thinks this new iMac is repusevely ugly and it looks like a cheap mock up of the old iMac by an amateur?

i was hope for something breath taking... this seems more like a revision than a new generation. and i hate it with a passion. i just hope my amazingly beautiful iMac G4 lasts until a new and sexy iMac comes out. i hope apple hasn't lost it's touch
post #77 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

post #78 of 433
Intel® Core™2 Extreme mobile processor
Experience the world's highest performing mobile processor². Bar none. Now you have the performance to play the latest multi-threaded games anywhere, with the Intel® Core™2 Extreme dual-core mobile processor X7800.

4 MB of shared L2 cache
800 MHz front-side bus
post #79 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJay View Post

so am i the only person here who thinks this new iMac is repusevely ugly and it looks like a cheap mock up of the old iMac by an amateur?

i was hope for something breath taking... this seems more like a revision than a new generation. and i hate it with a passion. i just hope my amazingly beautiful iMac G4 lasts until a new and sexy iMac comes out. i hope apple hasn't lost it's touch

By all means, don't buy one.

Wait until the Cinema Displays are released and buy a Mac Pro/MacBook Pro.
post #80 of 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post

There's two different keyboards.....the standard wired USB (which has a 10 key pad) and the compact bluetooth version (no 10 key)

thanks, two different keyboards huh

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple unveils new line of 20- and 24-inch iMacs