or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple updates Mac mini and AirPort, adds Mac Pro RAID card

Apple updates Mac mini and AirPort, adds Mac Pro RAID card - Page 2

post #41 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Do you know if the graphics card has its own memory now?

It doesn't

Quote:

If not, how much RAM would you recommend? How much is offered? How much would be overkill?

Depends on what you want to do. If you want to max it out, much better to do that with third-party RAM than to pay Apple's almost criminal rip-off prices for additional RAM.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #42 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

It doesn't

Depends on what you want to do. If you want to max it out, much better to do that with third-party RAM than to pay Apple's almost criminal rip-off prices for additional RAM.

The Mini comes with 2 X 512's in 2 slots. You'd have to throw them away and buy 2 one Gig units. Probably cost more than Apple's $150 for one GB. Or am I missing something?

I wonder if you could order the Mini with 1 one Gig. I doubt it. Apple has you by the b___s. They'd know what you intended to do.

I don't plan to do heavy hitting. I was just concerned that the graphics card would drag it down since, as you said, it doesn't have its own memory.
ADS
ADS
post #43 of 61
Quote:

The Mini comes with 2 X 512's in 2 slots. You'd have to throw them away and buy 2 one Gig units. Probably cost more than Apple's $150 for one GB. Or am I missing something?

Currently, a Crucial 1 GB 667 DDR2 SO-DIMM costs $44.95 from Newegg.com so you can upgrade to 2 GB for $89.90 - and you have the 2 x 512 dimms to sell on eBay.

Newegg also sell Crucial 2 GB 667 DDR2 SO-DIMMs at $113.49 each, so you can max out the Mac Mini to 3 GB for $158.44, and again you'd have 2 x 512 dimms to sell on eBay.

I suppose the Mac Mini RAM upgrade prices aren't as criminal as the iMac ones. Apple are charging $850 to upgrade the iMac to 4 GB! The same upgrade from newegg is $226.98. Surely Apple must be breaking some kind of law here, charging four times (once the cost of the already included in the price 1 GB stick is taken into account) over the odds for this upgrade?
post #44 of 61
Well some people really arnt smart enough to upgrade it themselves, it only involves one screw. Either that or they just dont care.
post #45 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsvisser View Post

I would actually like to see a Mini that is smaller, perhaps without a built in optical drive, that always runs Front Row 2.0 or in the background, and that approaches the price of the Apple TV. perhaps they can discontinue the Apple TV then. Of course with a minor update to the graphics chip and its faster processor, it should be able to do 720 and 1080 HD material. a DVD drive with a 3.5" HDD bay could be offered as an accessory, either stackable or placed side by side in a living room system.

Quote:

Er... That is the AppleTV

not quite. Apple TV has a modified Pentium-M, very little RAM, and a small or medium hard drive option. Apple TV only runs a Front-Row "like" interface, no applications (w/o hacking). You cannot add accessories to an Apple TV such as an Eye TV capture device, mouse, keyboard, cameras for video chat, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Exactly what do you do with regards to OS upgrades or large software installs? Leaving out the optical drive doesn't make any sense for a non-mobile machine unless it's a not going to be used as a computer. Even for a mobile computer it doesn't make sense yet to drop the optical drive.

In the sense that a Mini in a typical desktop application, sure you would probably want a drive. You can load the OS in target disk mode, however. In instances where I'm installing 6 to 12+ Apple TV's, if I were able to install 6 to 12 disc-less Mini's instead, they would be centrally managed and any major OS operations would probably be done in shop where I'd either target disc it or attach a drive. Thank god for Apple Remote Desktop's unlimited client license! It would be nice to have a cheaper box to throw around in place of the cool, but limited Apple TV.
post #46 of 61
Hurrah! Made it through the day (and over two hours into this one) without any falling rhinoceros calamities!
post #47 of 61
Quote:

Hurrah! Made it through the day (and over two hours into this one) without any falling rhinoceros calamities!

Good for you. Just one qestion, do you ever sleep? If I'm not mistaken it's 02:32am over there, right? At least it's still warm, unusual for August . Updated Mac Mini or refurb iMac? And don't tell me neither. Forgot to mention I'm on a tight budget (<£500).
post #48 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfoniq View Post

Good for you. Just one qestion, do you ever sleep?

Yup. I get up late. I should be asleep but this always happens when Apple have an event like Tuesday's. Suddenly the forum comes alive and I like to keep up with all the chatter.

Quote:

Updated Mac Mini or refurb iMac? And don't tell me neither. Forgot to mention I'm on a tight budget (<£500).

Depends on what you've already got and what deal you've found on a refurbished iMac.
post #49 of 61
Quote:

Depends on what you've already got and what deal you've found on a refurbished iMac.

At least you'll get to see the sunlight in a couple of hours. I already have a MacBook (fun) and a PC (work). I recently switched from Windows to Mac OS X and it' s one of the best things I've done. Want to basically retire the PC and believe you me it's so hard to resist not to get another Mac. You can get a 17 inch 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo refurbished iMac for $849 over here, cool init?
post #50 of 61
Quote:

Currently, a Crucial 1 GB 667 DDR2 SO-DIMM costs $44.95 from Newegg.com so you can upgrade to 2 GB for $89.90 - and you have the 2 x 512 dimms to sell on eBay.

Newegg also sell Crucial 2 GB 667 DDR2 SO-DIMMs at $113.49 each, so you can max out the Mac Mini to 3 GB for $158.44, and again you'd have 2 x 512 dimms to sell on eBay.

I suppose the Mac Mini RAM upgrade prices aren't as criminal as the iMac ones. Apple are charging $850 to upgrade the iMac to 4 GB! The same upgrade from newegg is $226.98. Surely Apple must be breaking some kind of law here, charging four times (once the cost of the already included in the price 1 GB stick is taken into account) over the odds for this upgrade?

Cool. Thanks for the info. From your post, I'm assuming the slots don't have to match - 2G in one and 1 G in the other. Right?

I'm beginning to think Delfoniq is right and you don't sleep. How do you hold down a job, do research on the above info, keep an eye on this forum, and take care of daily chores? Of course, that must be true of a lot of the AI members. I've said this before, that I'm in awe of what you guys accomplish. I feel like I'm running on a treadmill trying to keep up with everything.

BTW, do you know if installing RAM in the Mini is difficult? I've installed RAM in a tower, but that's easy. If you could offer any advice, I'd appreciate it.
ADS
ADS
post #51 of 61
Quote:

Cool. Thanks for the info. From your post, I'm assuming the slots don't have to match - 2G in one and 1 G in the other. Right?

Indeed.

Quote:

How do you hold down a job

I'm doing a PhD. I couldn't hold down a job with my behaviour.

Quote:

do research on the above info, keep an eye on this forum, and take care of daily chores?

Girlfriend helps with chores . Anyway, like I said, I'm not this bad all the time, just maybe three weeks a year around major Apple announcements.

Quote:

BTW, do you know if installing RAM in the Mini is difficult? I've installed RAM in a tower, but that's easy. If you could offer any advice, I'd appreciate it.

It is somewhat harder than other Macs, yes. It helps if you have a plastic "putty knife". I haven't done it myself so I can't offer any further advice, other than to do some google searches and remember that the internals changed quite a bit in the PPC to Intel transition, so a guide for the PPC version will only help you so much.
post #52 of 61
Quote:

At least you'll get to see the sunlight in a couple of hours. I already have a MacBook (fun) and a PC (work). I recently switched from Windows to Mac OS X and it' s one of the best things I've done. Want to basically retire the PC and believe you me it's so hard to resist not to get another Mac. You can get a 17 inch 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo refurbished iMac for $849 over here, cool init?

Congratulations on making the switch!

Have you considered consolidating into one machine? You could sell the MacBook and the PC, and get a MacBook Pro, external monitor (Dell's higher-end monitors use the same panels as Apple's Cinema Displays but are much cheaper), keyboard and mouse. When you're at home at your desk, you'd have the luxury of a dual-monitor setup, when out and about or on your sofa, you'd still have a very powerful machine.
post #53 of 61
Quote:

Congratulations on making the switch!

Have you considered consolidating into one machine? You could sell the MacBook and the PC, and get a MacBook Pro, external monitor (Dell's higher-end monitors use the same panels as Apple's Cinema Displays but are much cheaper), keyboard and mouse. When you're at home at your desk, you'd have the luxury of a dual-monitor setup, when out and about or on your sofa, you'd still have a very powerful machine.

Thanks I'm happy I made the transition, much easier than I thought it'd be. Your idea makes sense. It always feels easier buying staff than selling though, but you are making a strong point. Good luck with your thesis, take it from me, writing is the hardest part . BTW, over here they also call it a Pimp and Ho's Degree .
post #54 of 61
Quote:

Or you can just buy a refurbished 17 inch iMac for just $849. I'm torn . The new Mac Mini comes with new software though (and with Leopard in October).

There's a chance that they would drop-in the updated software. I bought a refurbed G5 tower a few days after Tiger was released and it included the latest iLife and a Tiger disc in the box. If you wait six weeks you might get Leopard with your refurbed iMac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

Well some people really arnt smart enough to upgrade it themselves, it only involves one screw. Either that or they just dont care.

Is the current Mac Mini only one screw? Or are you referring to the new iMac. I seem to recall that the intel minis still had the twenty latch system that would benefit from having three putty knives. I recall that the MacWorld reviewer said that you have to remove the drives and wireless cards to install new memory.
post #55 of 61
I was planning on buying the new mini until I looked at a pic of the back. There is only one DVI/VGA connection. I would imagine that rules out having 2 monitors -one extended. Is there a work around?
ADS
ADS
post #56 of 61
Quote:

I was planning on buying the new mini until I looked at a pic of the back. There is only one DVI/VGA connection.

All minis were like that.

Quote:
I would imagine that rules out having 2 monitors -one extended. Is there a work around?

Not really. Someone might suggest Matrox's monitor extender, but Matrox's site specifically says that their support of GMA950 chips is very limited. I think it's limited to two XGA monitors, you may as well go with one 24" monitor.
post #57 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

All minis were like that.

Not really. Someone might suggest Matrox's monitor extender, but Matrox's site specifically says that their support of GMA950 chips is very limited. I think it's limited to two XGA monitors, you may as well go with one 24" monitor.

Dammit, I want a mini-tower. Jobs says he listens to his customers. (in Japanese) Burshitsu!
ADS
ADS
post #58 of 61
Quote:

Dammit, I want a mini-tower. Jobs says he listens to his customers. (in Japanese) Burshitsu!

Why don't you get an iMac and an extra monitor? The iMac has DVI out and supports multiple monitors (i.e., it's not crippled anymore to do only mirroring).
post #59 of 61
Quote:

Why don't you get an iMac and an extra monitor? The iMac has DVI out and supports multiple monitors (i.e., it's not crippled anymore to do only mirroring).

It looks as though I may have to get an iMac, Mr. H; however, I already have 2 x 22" monitors on my desk. I have been using both with my old G4 tower. I really don't need or want another (iMac) one.
I'd rather have a headless computer. Every time I think I know what direction to go in, I get detoured.

BTW. what's your doctoral thesis about? Having to write one is what stopped me from moving up. Do you realize that you'll have to change your AI name -
Dr. H sounds very good, too.
ADS
ADS
post #60 of 61
Quote:

You must have had your fingers crossed. I understand that's what keeps rhinoceroses from falling. It was effective, anyway.
ADS
ADS
post #61 of 61
Only one person talked about the RAID card. I wish there were more RAID-5 options, this and one other that I know about are too expensive for me.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple updates Mac mini and AirPort, adds Mac Pro RAID card