or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Should Apple Buy Adobe?

Should Apple Buy Adobe? - Page 2

post #41 of 46
No Apple should not buy Adobe.

Adobe is already receiving most of its income from Windows' sales.

Does Apple really want to become a major Windows developer? It certainly would be foolish to acquire Adobe to then reduce the Windows side of the business.

Adobe has a distinctly different style to its software than Apple anyway. Annoyingly so. What would Apple do, give up its own GUI to the annoyance of Mac users or change the Adobe style alienating the Adobe customer base?

However it should persist in introducing competing products where ease of use is a key attraction. If for no other reason than Adobe has vacated that market and it is wide open. That market could also grow into the more pro consumer space, if needed, which would temper the Adobe virtual monopoly there and keep them on their toes.

I can't see Steve Jobs really being interested, Apple really has been busy shedding its graphic designer core of old and would only be reentering a market it seems to regard as past its use by date.
post #42 of 46
gastroboy, You asked the good question whether Apple wants to become a major Windows developer? Well, how about this question - Why is Microsoft a major developer of Apple software? Is not that what MS Office is?

Now iWork is finally good enough for everybody not to panick if MS leaves the Mac OS. However, I think it is essential for Apple to keep MS from buying out Adobe and having all the creative apps from being held hostage.

Apple doesn't have to change Adobe at all if they don't want. They just need to make sure Adobe doesn't end up in bed with MS - at least until Apple has an alternative. I agree with you that Apple needs to focus on introducing competing products where ease of use is key. I think Illustrator, Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver, and InDesign are way to complex for most people. I hope Apple storms into these areas just like the recently released Numbers. Compatability with the major apps yet with ease of use.
post #43 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionary View Post

gastroboy, You asked the good question whether Apple wants to become a major Windows developer? Well, how about this question - Why is Microsoft a major developer of Apple software? Is not that what MS Office is?

Now iWork is finally good enough for everybody not to panick if MS leaves the Mac OS. However, I think it is essential for Apple to keep MS from buying out Adobe and having all the creative apps from being held hostage.

Apple doesn't have to change Adobe at all if they don't want. They just need to make sure Adobe doesn't end up in bed with MS - at least until Apple has an alternative. I agree with you that Apple needs to focus on introducing competing products where ease of use is key. I think Illustrator, Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver, and InDesign are way to complex for most people. I hope Apple storms into these areas just like the recently released Numbers. Compatability with the major apps yet with ease of use.

Microsoft has always been an Apple developer and really is holding Apple by the balls. Apple has been tring to loosen the hold but may have grown to like the old familiarity.

Microsoft has actually dominated the office software on the Mac and can dictate terms. Apple can't dictate terms nor dominate even its own platform, without giving away or practiacally giving away their software. What chance do they have on Windows?

In fact a lot of Windows users detest Apple software. Even I who have used Macs for 23 years have issues with Apple and its sometimes irritating ways.

Safari shows up the reality that Windows users like the way Microsoft does things because they have become used to it, and that is now "Standard". Apple can not expect confetti and open arms when entering the Windows market. Even iTunes has only made some inroads because people need it to sync with their iPods.
post #44 of 46
I asked the same question some three years ago. The answer is yes, Apple should buy Adobe.

It is fun reading about the market caps of the companies three years ago. How the tables have turned.
post #45 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

I asked the same question some three years ago. The answer is yes, Apple should buy Adobe.

It is fun reading about the market caps of the companies three years ago. How the tables have turned.

That's really funny. One of the first few comments: "Adobe's nearly twice a big as Apple, never gonna happen." LOL indeed.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #46 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That's really funny. One of the first few comments: "Adobe's nearly twice a big as Apple, never gonna happen." LOL indeed.

Yeah, that was a good one. That really puts Apple's tremendous growth in perspective.

I still think that purchasing Adobe makes sense one one level; it plays well with one of Apple's core strengths (professional media apps). However, the real potential for growth is in Apple's in-house consumer electronics products, so I don't see Apple purchasing Adobe (I just wish that they could/would).
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Should Apple Buy Adobe?