or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone cloned by chinese

iPhone cloned by chinese

post #1 of 11
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/technol...cbccdrcrd.html

Fascinating article about cloning and conterfeiting in general.
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Fu Guy View Post

This things been getting play on Engadget and Gizmodo for a while. The weird thing is, in the comments there are lots of people who either deny that this has anything to do with the iPhone, or, having gone on at length about how the iPhone sucks, excitedly talk about how they are for sure going to pick up the sweet, sweet, knock-off.

It doesn't seem to occur to them that if copying features and UI and selling it cheaper becomes successful to the point of making the business of creating features and UI unprofitable, then their isn't anything to copy anymore. That without the horrible, sucky, only-for-the-sheeple iPhone there isn't any clone for them to get excited about.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #3 of 11
Quote:

Hmmm, the real question is: since it's made in China, how much lead does it contain?

You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #4 of 11
I think that China's sleazy regard for copyright, trademark, and patent law is despicable. One day soon those of us in the US will wake up to have no manufacturing base, no motivation to create anything new, and havoc in our financial markets. I am not being ethnocentric only disgusted at Chinese business behavior. It is the wild, wild, west over there and they have little regard for the earnest efforts of innovators. This is a huge problem.
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tutumiles1 View Post

It is the wild, wild, west over there and they have little regard for the earnest efforts of innovators. This is a huge problem.

Apparently cloning an iPhone is a relatively easy task. According to the article they have mastered level 4 in the technical expertise of cloning.

It's just a matter of time before they grow up as a country. For now they can simply be regarded as children mimicking their elders. When Chinese counterfeit Elvis impersonators start appearing in Las Vegas, we'll be out of the woods.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #6 of 11
Quote:

Saw the Chinese HTC iPhone ripoff in Hong Kong last week. The phone guy didn't have a working model, just a mock-up.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Apparently cloning an iPhone is a relatively easy task. According to the article they have mastered level 4 in the technical expertise of cloning.

It must be easy then. I wonder what they can do when they reach level 60?
post #8 of 11
the possibility of a Knock off product is all the more reason that Apple should hurry with improvements and get this great start locked up in the market. Dependence on ATT only could complicate matters. I want Apple to win and win big as I am proud to be a Apple fan. It does not mean however that I am not critical of a less than great effort. Speed to improvement is a corporate advantage.
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

It must be easy then. I wonder what they can do when they reach level 60?

Level 70 if they have the burning patents add-on...
The Story of Stuff
The Story of Stuff
post #10 of 11
The Chinese are not able to copy OS X or its underpinnings which is the engine of the iPhone interface and allows rich desktop style apps.
post #11 of 11
yea actually inventing things sucks big time, just look at microsoft
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone cloned by chinese