or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone Software Update version 1.0.2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple releases iPhone Software Update version 1.0.2

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 
Focusing on stability ahead of new features, Apple on Tuesday began providing iPhone owners with yet another small maintenance software update.

iPhone Software version 1.0.2 is available by docking your iPhone to your Mac (or PC), selecting the device in iTunes, and then hitting "Check for Update."

The agenda for the latest update? "Bug fixes," according to the release notes.

The update takes about a minute or so, half of which is spent "verifying" the handset's existing iPhone software. Therefore, iPhone owners who've 'hacked' or otherwise modified their software may first need to restore their iPhone software before applying the update.

Tuesday's iPhone update is the second for Apple in as many months. The company in late July issued iPhone version 1.0.1 which added subtle refinements and major fixes.

post #2 of 39
hey kids, this is an infinite loop:

while (me.feel() != "excited") \

class dismissed.
post #3 of 39
Quote:
Focusing on stability ahead of new features,

What exactly does this mean? Are they prepping it for more features in a soon to be released update, or does it indicate they have given priority to bug fixes over introducing new features.

So I guess do they mean 'ahead' is "in the future" or "priority to"
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
Reply
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
Reply
post #4 of 39
There's a new 3G menu option in settings.
(and yes, that was a joke)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #5 of 39
I think that was just an observation that Apple is more concerned with stability of the iPhone and bug fixes than trying to add new features... as evidenced by 2 bug fix releases since Jun 29 but no new features.

Jim
post #6 of 39
What does it mean, it means they are trying to stop the hackers as hackers=instability...
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
Reply
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
Reply
post #7 of 39
FLASH SUPPORT




post #8 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

FLASH SUPPORT





No thanks. I have no need for Flash.
post #9 of 39
Especially with Apple's partnership (being bribed) with YouTube, I'd say you won't see Flash support for quite some time.
post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

FLASH SUPPORT





right-on, but i think that's more of an Adobe thing at the moment.
post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroberto1 View Post

Especially with Apple's partnership (being bribed) with YouTube, I'd say you won't see Flash support for quite some time.

I think it has less to do with partnerships and more with wanting to promote standards over proprietary formats that Apple doesn't own. Why help Adobe monopolize the web?

Besides, I think there's a world of difference between saying "Flash support" and what the real user experience of using Flash on a mobile device would be. Most mobile devices that have any Flash support at all only support Flash Lite, which would still exclude most of the sites that employ Flash. Getting a mobile device--particularly an ARM-based mobile device to truly support Flash would be a nightmare. And even then, the limitations of a finger-gesture user interface would cause all sorts of problems for many Flash sites.

And all of that at what benefit to Apple? Adobe could pull the plug on Flash development for iPhone whenever it wanted, in order to give its own Flash-based mobile operating system (I.e Prada phone) the advantage.

Flv playback? Maybe. But full Flash support is just unlikely to happen. Personally, I hope Google and Apple kill Flash with Ajax and the next implementations of HTML and CSS.

No one owns the Web. And no one should.
post #12 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

I think it has less to do with partnerships and more with wanting to promote standards over proprietary formats that Apple doesn't own. Why help Adobe monopolize the web?

Besides, I think there's a world of difference between saying "Flash support" and what the real user experience of using Flash on a mobile device would be. Most mobile devices that have any Flash support at all only support Flash Lite, which would still exclude most of the sites that employ Flash. Getting a mobile device--particularly an ARM-based mobile device to truly support Flash would be a nightmare. And even then, the limitations of a finger-gesture user interface would cause all sorts of problems for many Flash sites.

And all of that at what benefit to Apple? Adobe could pull the plug on Flash development for iPhone whenever it wanted, in order to give its own Flash-based mobile operating system (I.e Prada phone) the advantage.

Flv playback? Maybe. But full Flash support is just unlikely to happen. Personally, I hope Google and Apple kill Flash with Ajax and the next implementations of HTML and CSS.

No one owns the Web. And no one should.

Read tech news much lately?

http://www.kaourantin.net/2007/08/wh...on-web_20.html
post #13 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroberto1 View Post

Especially with Apple's partnership (being bribed) with YouTube, I'd say you won't see Flash support for quite some time.

I don't know about bribes, but I would point to lackluster flash support for Mac OS. Its an un-optimized mess. If watching youtube videos makes my macbook pro's fans go into overdrive, think about battery life on the iphone. no thanks.

David
http://davidwogan.us

UPDATE: this is pre flash with h.264, but I'm sure this one is just as good as the last
David W.
The University of Texas at Austin
Mechanical Engineering | LBJ School of Public Affairs
www.davidwogan.us
Reply
David W.
The University of Texas at Austin
Mechanical Engineering | LBJ School of Public Affairs
www.davidwogan.us
Reply
post #14 of 39
eh, what do i do with my new IBrick 1.0.2? did anyone at apple test this update??????




(just kidding...still downloading it).
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
post #15 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by crees! View Post

Read tech news much lately?

http://www.kaourantin.net/2007/08/wh...on-web_20.html

If anything, that article proves my point. Adobe wants to take industry standard video and tie it to its proprietary Flash player. Not much different than what Microsoft did with Javascript and IE back in the 90s.
post #16 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addison View Post

What does it mean, it means they are trying to stop the hackers as hackers=instability...

Right and that is ALL Apple is concerned about.. the user. Hence, having us pay full price for a phone they refused to be allow the carrier to discount, and then still having the user locked in for 2 damn yrs to AT&T, so Apple can collect a percentage of revenue (rumored to be 10%).

Apple wants control over the apps, so they can control the revenue stream.

The user hardly benefits.

Go hackers!
post #17 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post

Right and that is ALL Apple is concerned about.. the user. Hence, having us pay full price for a phone they refused to be allow the carrier to discount, and then still having the user locked in for 2 damn yrs to AT&T, so Apple can collect a percentage of revenue (rumored to be 10%).

Apple wants control over the apps, so they can control the revenue stream.

The user hardly benefits.

Go hackers!

Its been said many many time but just tends to be conviently ignored. The iPhone is cheaper than similar phones, for the real world. Given that Apple also negotiated a significantly lower data plan for the iPhone the 2-year cost of ownership is $60x24 + $600 = 2040. For a similar blackberry with the 'great discount' for a 2-year contract its $80x24 + $300 (but you pay tax on $500 list) = $2220. So you save $180 by buying the iPhone. And for that you don't even get the 'PUSH' e-mail.
post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by crees! View Post

Read tech news much lately?

http://www.kaourantin.net/2007/08/wh...on-web_20.html

Well, suprise... Flash=good from a Flash developer site.

Try these instead...
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM...BBA7C7A85.html
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM...87E6E861E.html
post #19 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post

Right and that is ALL Apple is concerned about.. the user. Hence, having us pay full price for a phone they refused to be allow the carrier to discount, and then still having the user locked in for 2 damn yrs to AT&T, so Apple can collect a percentage of revenue (rumored to be 10%).

Apple wants control over the apps, so they can control the revenue stream.

The user hardly benefits.

Go hackers!

Yeah!!! Load up that iPhone with useless crapware and malware!!!
post #20 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Its been said many many time but just tends to be conviently ignored. The iPhone is cheaper than similar phones, for the real world. Given that Apple also negotiated a significantly lower data plan for the iPhone the 2-year cost of ownership is $60x24 + $600 = 2040. For a similar blackberry with the 'great discount' for a 2-year contract its $80x24 + $300 (but you pay tax on $500 list) = $2220. So you save $180 by buying the iPhone. And for that you don't even get the 'PUSH' e-mail.

Until my purchase of an iPhone, I purchased unlocked Nokia's and could go any where the hell I wanted based upon the cost and quality of service. The deal Apple has struck eliminated that option.

I have always had a Blackberry. This is my bag and my bag entirely. I purchased the iPhone knowing that I was locked in for 2 yrs to AT&T and their lousy service. I paid full retail. I had the option of not buying the iPhone.

Please, I'm not buying any crap about how Apple is now soley concerns about the stability and Job's absurd concerns about network security where 3rd party apps and hackers are concerned. My BBerry and Nokia never ever crashed from the time of purchase, And the iPhone crashes frequently so efforts to make the iPhone more stable are required and appropriate. Can't knock it even though I sit here steaming at the lack of certain SMS/IM functionality available on every phone I have ever had and need.

Like any good firm, Apple is motivated by profit, but they will deliver functionality that they determine is appropriate for the market consistent with balancing their profit motive and, most importnatly control over revenue streams with their partner. But they struck a deal that lines their pockets further, and saddled me with a poor data service and carrier for 2 years. Again, mea culpa. Caveat Emptor.
post #21 of 39
Quote:
Until my purchase of an iPhone, I purchased unlocked Nokia's and could go any where the hell I wanted based upon the cost and quality of service.

You saying you could buy a phone and take it to Verizon, Sprint, Cingular, or T-Mobile?

Quote:
My BBerry and Nokia never ever crashed from the time of purchase, And the iPhone crashes frequently so efforts to make the iPhone more stable are required and appropriate.

This isn't a totally fair comparision. The only app I see crash frequently on the iPhone is Safari. Web broswers on the BB or Nokia are not displaying the full page with text, graphics, and pictures. So they are not even making the same effort that Safari is. If one of those phones had a browser that rendered the entire web page and never crashed then you would be saying something.
post #22 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post

Until my purchase of an iPhone, I purchased unlocked Nokia's and could go any where the hell I wanted based upon the cost and quality of service. The deal Apple has struck eliminated that option.

I have always had a Blackberry. This is my bag and my bag entirely. I purchased the iPhone knowing that I was locked in for 2 yrs to AT&T and their lousy service. I paid full retail. I had the option of not buying the iPhone.

Please, I'm not buying any crap about how Apple is now soley concerns about the stability and Job's absurd concerns about network security where 3rd party apps and hackers are concerned. My BBerry and Nokia never ever crashed from the time of purchase, And the iPhone crashes frequently so efforts to make the iPhone more stable are required and appropriate. Can't knock it even though I sit here steaming at the lack of certain SMS/IM functionality available on every phone I have ever had and need.

Like any good firm, Apple is motivated by profit, but they will deliver functionality that they determine is appropriate for the market consistent with balancing their profit motive and, most importnatly control over revenue streams with their partner. But they struck a deal that lines their pockets further, and saddled me with a poor data service and carrier for 2 years. Again, mea culpa. Caveat Emptor.

The question is only what did that freedom cost? The one time I purchased an unlocked phone in the US I got no discount and I paid as much as I did for the iPhone I now have. The service plan I got was the same cost as if I had gone for a discounted phone. So again, what was the cost?
post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You saying you could buy a phone and take it to Verizon, Sprint, Cingular, or T-Mobile?

I had options.. Buying an unlocked GSM phone, I could go to the GSM provider who offers me the best deal at that time. Particlurly useful when travelling abroad as I do quite frequently but where I am now screwed with outrageous AT&T charges


This isn't a totally fair comparision. The only app I see crash frequently on the iPhone is Safari. Web broswers on the BB or Nokia are not displaying the full page with text, graphics, and pictures. So they are not even making the same effort that Safari is. If one of those phones had a browser that rendered the entire web page and never crashed then you would be saying something.

I've had problems with many applications including Safari. It's fair to have a stable, bug free, crash free solution and I can't fault Apple for seeking to improve matters. They need to.
post #24 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by physguy View Post

The question is only what did that freedom cost? The one time I purchased an unlocked phone in the US I got no discount and I paid as much as I did for the iPhone I now have. The service plan I got was the same cost as if I had gone for a discounted phone. So again, what was the cost?

I have been able to purchase unlocked Nokia phones at a discount to the "no plan" rate offered by carriers and, at the rate I lost them, I needed it.

I am locked into a service that at times is inadequate in Manhattan, and absurdly expensive when travelling abroad. I've received an AT&T bill and the toll charges are disgraceful. There is a real cost to me to be locked into AT&T.

Again, I have nobody to truly blame but myself (except who would anticipated that Apple would not deliver a fully featured SMS, MMS and IM app, when every other decent phone on the market supports them?), but Apple will not be receiving any thanks or expressions of gratitude from me either.
post #25 of 39
Quote:
I've had problems with many applications including Safari.

There are no wide reports of crashing problems. Safari is the only one I've experienced frequent crashes so it sounds as if you are having more problems that the average user.

Quote:
I am locked into a service that at times is inadequate in Manhattan

I'm not sure what you mean by inadequate but I've had no problems in NYC. I infact find open WiFi signals all over Manhattan.
post #26 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

There are no wide reports of crashing problems. Safari is the only one I've experienced frequent crashes so it sounds as if you are having more problems that the average user.



I'm not sure what you mean by inadequate but I've had no problems in NYC. I infact find open WiFi signals all over Manhattan.

NOT my experience at all.
post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post

NOT my experience at all.

No offense, but you're just one anecdotal data point -- mine rarely "crashes," even on Safari, after Bug Fix 1.01. The phone has so far "crashed" twice when adding a picture taken on the iPhone camera to my contacts list.

Btw, I say "crash" in quotes because it is a bit of a misnomer, and an overstatement. All it means in the iPhone context is that it takes me back to the main menu, and I go right back to the application I was on in a second or two -- i.e., I've never had to restart, not once.
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

No offense, but you're just one anecdotal data point -- mine rarely "crashes," even on Safari, after Bug Fix 1.01. The phone has so far "crashed" twice when adding a picture taken on the iPhone camera to my contacts list.

Btw, I say "crash" in quotes because it is a bit of a misnomer, and an overstatement. All it means in the iPhone context is that it takes me back to the main menu, and I go right back to the application I was on in a second or two -- i.e., I've never had to restart, not once.

I was referring to widespread WiFi in Manhattan. Safari has issues but it's manageable.
post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell

I infact find open WiFi signals all over Manhattan.

NOT my experience at all.

Nor mine, and not for lack of tryin'
post #30 of 39
Quote:
Nor mine, and not for lack of tryin'

A search on jwire.com finds 133 free WiFi hotspots in Manhattan.

Just to give examples. Most all major city parks have free WiFi: Central Park, Union Square, Madison Square Park, Byrant Park. As well as all NY City libraries, Penn Station, and Grand Central Terminal.
post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

A search on jwire.com finds 133 free WiFi hotspots in Manhattan.

Just to give examples. Most all major city parks have free WiFi: Central Park, Union Square, Madison Square Park, Byrant Park. As well as all NY City libraries, Penn Station, and Grand Central Terminal.

I walk to work every day a 40 minute jaunt from the UWS to Midtown east. I encounter not a single free hi-Fi spot on the way until I reach the coffee shop in my building.

So, consider yourself quite fortunate.
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post

I have been able to purchase unlocked Nokia phones at a discount to the "no plan" rate offered by carriers and, at the rate I lost them, I needed it.

I am locked into a service that at times is inadequate in Manhattan, and absurdly expensive when travelling abroad. I've received an AT&T bill and the toll charges are disgraceful. There is a real cost to me to be locked into AT&T.

Again, I have nobody to truly blame but myself (except who would anticipated that Apple would not deliver a fully featured SMS, MMS and IM app, when every other decent phone on the market supports them?), but Apple will not be receiving any thanks or expressions of gratitude from me either.

But again, what did it cost you? I have no idea what discount you have gotten, nor the unlocked phone cost, nor what you paid for the plans you found? It would be nice to know.

Regarding the overseas plans, I'm not aware of any better plans that allow you to use your number? They are ALL bad as far as I've found so this is not an unlocking issue as far as I can tell. I had T-mobile before and had the same issues/costs (within 5%). In fact, I still have that phone, which was unlocked, and so for local phone access I could just get a local SIM for that.

But back to the main point, what are the other, lower costs?
post #33 of 39
If anyone had done their research you would have know how apple will go to any ends to protect their intellectual rights. ATT has great service in most area and will work hard to keep you happy, while not always meeting that goal. Anyone purchasing the phone could have taken it back, but chose not to stop bugging ....use your phone you ipod and your organizer or use the frigging IPHONE... More stuff will come be patient.......Call Bill and tell him you want a windows phone as great and wait till the 3rd revision to have it be half the phone. I use Windows and Macs....Like using both ...stop Buggin!!!!! Oh yeah for all you unlockers crying about not being able to ...you were stupid if you thought apple was not going to protect their intrest .....they dont make any money from TMOBILE
post #34 of 39
I have been thinking about getting the iPhone ever since it came out and I guess I was wondering if anyone could answer whether or not it can connect to secure wireless connections that require a password. I am a college student and we have wireless throughout campus but it requires my student id and password to be typed in if it were used on a computer. Thanks for any information.
post #35 of 39
Yes the iPone does connect to password protected WiFi.
post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by physguy View Post

The question is only what did that freedom cost? The one time I purchased an unlocked phone in the US I got no discount and I paid as much as I did for the iPhone I now have. The service plan I got was the same cost as if I had gone for a discounted phone. So again, what was the cost?

It's just a different business model, but still basically the same money. You still got a discount on the cost of the iPhone (despite what some here want to claim). AT&T just pays Apple part of your monthly service charges rather than a one time rebate on the phone.

The service plans cost the same if you buy an unlocked phone or take the rebate from the carrier. The difference is that if you provide your own phone, there is no 2 year service plan, so you can change carriers at any time ... with a service plan, there is usually upwards of a $200 early termination fee.

So, in the end, "freedom" usually costs around the price of the rebate. But signing up for a plan and doing an early terminate with the fee easily cancels that out.
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druth086 View Post

I have been thinking about getting the iPhone ever since it came out and I guess I was wondering if anyone could answer whether or not it can connect to secure wireless connections that require a password. I am a college student and we have wireless throughout campus but it requires my student id and password to be typed in if it were used on a computer. Thanks for any information.

It would really depend on what kind of authentication/security they use. If you just go through a web page to log in, then probably yes, but other networks require 3rd party tools that would not (currently) work on the iPhone.
post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplacidone View Post

...you were stupid if you thought apple was not going to protect their intrest .....they dont make any money from TMOBILE

They aren't supposed to, thats what it means when the phone is sold unsubsidised. It's funny to watch Yankees quibble about unlocking, because you don't really have alternatives, even if you managed to unlock. Here in the old continent, we have many operators, and we also have steep competition. In this area regulating has actually spawn more market freedom, than your model that has only inflicted monopoly.
post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project2501 View Post

They aren't supposed to, thats what it means when the phone is sold unsubsidised. It's funny to watch Yankees quibble about unlocking, because you don't really have alternatives, even if you managed to unlock. Here in the old continent, we have many operators, and we also have steep competition. In this area regulating has actually spawn more market freedom, than your model that has only inflicted monopoly.

Yeah, but I guess your going to have to get used to a new business model as well, since Apple is busy working only on LOCKED contracts so far in the EU.

Wow -- this thread is completely not what the OP started..."Apple releases iPhone software update version 1.0.2"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone Software Update version 1.0.2