or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Well, it's time: E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

Well, it's time: E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

post #1 of 287

OK, so you guys knew it was coming. What can I say, I'm an Eagles maniac. Over the years, I have been very critical of Reid's performance (many of you will recall me calling for him to be fired).

But then last year happened. They turned it around in some tough circumstances. In any case, one thing remains constant: I love the Eagles, win or lose. I've been to one pre-season game and I'm going to the last one Thursday. Then I'll be at the home opener for Monday night, 9/17. SDW gets there a little early....as in 9:00 a.m. for a 8:30 p.m. game.

Anyway, a lot of commentators are picking the Eagles to go to the dance this year. On paper I have to agree. No one in the NFC is as complete as they are. New Orleans will probably be good, but other than them there is nobody. Dallas will be half decent, but they will be a distant second in the NFC East. Washington and New York suck ass, as will Atlanta (hmm...maybe getting rid of Matt Shaub wasn't such a good idea, guys). The Bears have no QB (actually, it's worse because neither Grossman nor his coach know how much he sucks) and have lost offensive power, and Seattle has a lot of question marks. I hear St. Louis might be good. My thinking is Eagles v. New Orleans or Chicago for the title game.

The problem is going to be the AFC. New England scares a lot of people (yeah, I hate them and Bill Belichick...have I mentioned?) and the Chargers look to be very good. Then there are the Colts, though I don't see them getting past the Baltimore, San Diego or New England.

Anyway, if al goes well this should my boys' year, at least to go to the 'bowl. McNabb looks great, and they're getting Kearse back. Then there is Tony Hunt, who they needed at RB. As much as I liked Trotter, he was done and it was his time (check out his post-release PC by the way...VERY classy guy...no bitterness at all).

So....Let the beer drinking, wing eating and yelling begin. E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #2 of 287
I wouldn't count on Kearse for all that much. He's simply nowhere near the player he once was. As a packer fan, I'd love to see Green Bay pull the upset in week 1

I'm not counting on it though.

I just don't see GB doing to well against the Eagle's defense. It's at home though, and the revenge factor for the whippings the last couple years will be present. The GB front seven does have the potential to be pretty dang good this year, and I'm hopeful this year they'll be able to stop McNabb and Westbrook from going apeshit.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #3 of 287
A fellow Eagles maniac, I see!

The Eagles winning it all this year? Hmmm, that would be great, but Seattle and N'Orleans are no pushovers. Barring key injuries, I can definitely see them back in the title game, as long as they don't let Reid call the offense...\

Passing 70% of the time is bad, m'kay...
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #4 of 287
J-E-T-S...Jets, Jets, Jets
post #5 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I wouldn't count on Kearse for all that much. He's simply nowhere near the player he once was. As a packer fan, I'd love to see Green Bay pull the upset in week 1

I'm not counting on it though.

I just don't see GB doing to well against the Eagle's defense. It's at home though, and the revenge factor for the whippings the last couple years will be present. The GB front seven does have the potential to be pretty dang good this year, and I'm hopeful this year they'll be able to stop McNabb and Westbrook from going apeshit.

What are you talking about with Kearse? He was having a great year until he got injured last year. There's nothing to suggest he won't be back up to speed.

Gren Bay will be better but no match for the Eagles offense or defense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

A fellow Eagles maniac, I see!

The Eagles winning it all this year? Hmmm, that would be great, but Seattle and N'Orleans are no pushovers. Barring key injuries, I can definitely see them back in the title game, as long as they don't let Reid call the offense...\

Passing 70% of the time is bad, m'kay...

I don't think Seattle is going to do anything this year. Too many questions. New Orleans might be a different story, I agree. In fact, revising my original prediction, I see New Orleans v. Eagles for the title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick fall View Post

I'll be at the game Thursday. I like Man-Genius, but sorry....it's going to be painful for you. Even in the pre-season.
post #6 of 287

While it won't be the season that the Cowboys get their sixth Super Bowl win - it won't be the Eagles turn to get their first either.

I think Philly may win the division, but I'm guessing that that it'll be New England versus New Orleans in Super Bowl XLII.

You never know what can happen though. February 03, 2008 is a long way off.
post #7 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

What are you talking about with Kearse? He was having a great year until he got injured last year. There's nothing to suggest he won't be back up to speed.

He's 31 and coming off his second season-ending injury. There's plenty of reason for doubt.
post #8 of 287
Go Clots, Go Packers, Go Steelers in that order.

I predict that If the colts win another Super Bowl, Dungy and Manning will retire and no matter what the outcome, Brett will retire.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #9 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake View Post

While it won't be the season that the Cowboys get their sixth Super Bowl win - it won't be the Eagles turn to get their first either.

I think Philly may win the division, but I'm guessing that that it'll be New England versus New Orleans in Super Bowl XLII.

You never know what can happen though. February 03, 2008 is a long way off.

Cowboys suck. Sorry...I had to. It's in my DNA. Your comment about the Eagles is relatively unsupported. New Orleans will likely be good. However, even last year the Eagles had the ability to beat them. They should have won early in the season, only losing on the last play of the game. The playoff game would have been an Eagles win with McNabb and a better defense. So I don't agree there.

Quote:

He's 31 and coming off his second season-ending injury. There's plenty of reason for doubt.

31 is still prime for an NFL player. They are still better with him than without.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Go Clots, Go Packers, Go Steelers in that order.

I predict that If the colts win another Super Bowl, Dungy and Manning will retire and no matter what the outcome, Brett will retire.

The Colts will not be as strong without the players they've lost. The Packers will still suck, though not as much as last year. Favre will retire this year. Manning will absolutely NOT retire. He's like 31. Please. Dungy has no intention of retiring, does he? I really think you just made those predictions up dude!
post #10 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001

Cowboys suck. Sorry...I had to. It's in my DNA.

You think I have any respect for the Eagles? Ha! I was just trying to keep things positive - we have the whole season to rip on our beloved teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001

Your comment about the Eagles is relatively unsupported. New Orleans will likely be good. However, even last year the Eagles had the ability to beat them. They should have won early in the season, only losing on the last play of the game. The playoff game would have been an Eagles win with McNabb and a better defense. So I don't agree there.

Relatively unsupported? It's opinion, just as your "this should my boys' year" claim.
And don't start the "they should have won" bullshit. What happened did, in fact, happen.
A win is a win and a torn ACL is just that.

The Eagles are not a Top 5 team. Top 10 maybe.

Though a team may seem to have everything in place to go to the Super Bowl and win, things usually don't work out that way. That's what's fantastic about this game.

I'm just very happy that it's finally football season. I'm sure we can both agree about that.
post #11 of 287
Quote:

You think I have any respect for the Eagles? Ha! I was just trying to keep things positive - we have the whole season to rip on our beloved teams.

Look, the cowboys will be a decent team. But I hate them. A lot.
Quote:

Relatively unsupported? It's opinion, just as your "this should my boys' year" claim.

Uh, looking at the team, it should be, yes. Show me a more complete team in the NFC. The Eagles have no major questions other than McNabb's health and possibly their run defense. Dallas? Tony Romo is green. He had 4 good games and then made one of the biggest blunders in playoff history. TO is a major distraction...surprise, surprise. I'm a fan, but I'm being objective here. The Eagles are going to be a very solid team.

And don't start the "they should have won" bullshit. What happened did, in fact, happen.
A win is a win and a torn ACL is just that.[/quote]

I don't disagree. I'm merely saying that the Eagles of LAST YEAR were close to New Orleans, if not better by the end. That was without Donovan and with a depleted defense, no power back, etc. This year the Eagles are way better. New Orleans looks to be about the same.

Quote:
The Eagles are not a Top 5 team. Top 10 maybe.

Uh, then who is? I count New England, San Diego, Baltimore, Indianapolis and Philadelphia. Who else is there? Dallas is no top 5 team. San Francisco isn't, though they'll be top 10. Seattle won't be either. So really, tell me. I'm listening.

Quote:

Though a team may seem to have everything in place to go to the Super Bowl and win, things usually don't work out that way. That's what's fantastic about this game.

I'm just very happy that it's finally football season. I'm sure we can both agree about that.

I agree with both of those points. I'm sure there will be surprises. I just hope Dallas and New England sucking more are two of them.
post #12 of 287
Quote:

31 is still prime for an NFL player. They are still better with him than without.

I'll agree with the second sentence, but not the first. At 31, he's 2-3 years off the peak, especially for a pass-rusher.
post #13 of 287
Quote:

I'll agree with the second sentence, but not the first. At 31, he's 2-3 years off the peak, especially for a pass-rusher.

I don't think you can say that and base it solely on age. Last year he looked great and was having a career best year early on. We'll see how he does. Haven't seen him tonight so far...not sure if he's in.
post #14 of 287
Quote:

I don't think you can say that and base it solely on age. Last year he looked great and was having a career best year early on. We'll see how he does. Haven't seen him tonight so far...not sure if he's in.

Hey I passed on my green blood to my son, but it would be a miracle if Kerse played through the season. He is a monster when healthy, but his body has taken a beating over the years. He may be 31, but his knees are in their 40s. I only noticed him on one play tonight ("Kerse getting up slowly--he was shaken up on that one...").

Hope springs eternal, but I see no reason to be extra optimistic. There are just too many questions on defense. And there is no reason to expect the offense to be extrodinary. The eagles may well dominate the NFC East, but I think it is a weak conference this year.

Maybe I have been a Philly fan too long...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #15 of 287
Quote:

I'm not saying it's guaranteed. Statistically, however, that's when players peak (I wish I could find the research, because I know I've read it. Sadly it's eluding me).

Besides, two games is not enough to designate "career year, if only"
post #16 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Hey I passed on my green blood to my son, but it would be a miracle if Kerse played through the season. He is a monster when healthy, but his body has taken a beating over the years. He may be 31, but his knees are in their 40s. I only noticed him on one play tonight ("Kerse getting up slowly--he was shaken up on that one...").

Hope springs eternal, but I see no reason to be extra optimistic. There are just too many questions on defense. And there is no reason to expect the offense to be extrodinary. The eagles may well dominate the NFC East, but I think it is a weak conference this year.

Maybe I have been a Philly fan too long...

Well, they didn't look great tonight. Then again, B-West and Hunt weren't really in. The defense concerned me, I'm not gonna lie.

Quote:

I'm not saying it's guaranteed. Statistically, however, that's when players peak (I wish I could find the research, because I know I've read it. Sadly it's eluding me).

Besides, two games is not enough to designate "career year, if only"

Now hold on...obviously if he injured, that's different. But we were talking about him healthy, or so I assumed. Anyway...I'm simply saying they are better with him than without...much better.
post #17 of 287
SDW: Re: bears

Are you out of your goddamn mind? Grossman is much better then he was last year. You forget that last year was his first complete year of his career. How many rookies lead their teams to the Super Bowl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick fall View Post

Amen brother.
"Humankind -- despite its artistic pretensions, its sophistication, and its many accomplishments -- owes its existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains."
"Humankind -- despite its artistic pretensions, its sophistication, and its many accomplishments -- owes its existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains."
post #18 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by theapplegenius View Post

SDW: Re: bears

Are you out of your goddamn mind? Grossman is much better then he was last year. You forget that last year was his first complete year of his career. How many rookies lead their teams to the Super Bowl?

Amen brother.

Grossman fucking sucks. He proves it every week. He's certainly not "better" than last year..not from what I've seen. I love his excuse for last year's New Year's Eve game. He said he was thinking about the evening and that's why he was distracted. haha. He is one of the worse QB's in the NFL right now. But his coach is too stupid to get rid of him.
post #19 of 287
I'm not sure if I should join this discussion or not. I've waited 5 years for my team to be decent and this might be the year they get over the hump. For the first time ever, Sean Salisbury even said something positive about us.

Don't wanna jinx 'em.

Just please don't get hurt Frank. PLEASE.
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
post #20 of 287
Quote:

Grossman fucking sucks. He proves it every week. He's certainly not "better" than last year..not from what I've seen. I love his excuse for last year's New Year's Eve game. He said he was thinking about the evening and that's why he was distracted. haha. He is one of the worse QB's in the NFL right now. But his coach is too stupid to get rid of him.

Go Bears.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. Thomas Jefferson
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. Thomas Jefferson
post #21 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldo View Post

Go Bears.

I really don't dislike the Bears as a team, believe it or not. I just think Grossman sucks and Smith is really stupid not to replace him.
post #22 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

I'm not sure if I should join this discussion or not. I've waited 5 years for my team to be decent and this might be the year they get over the hump. For the first time ever, Sean Salisbury even said something positive about us.

Don't wanna jinx 'em.

Just please don't get hurt Frank. PLEASE.

They will probably be good. I see them as a playoff team this year, probably losing in the first round.
post #23 of 287
Quote:

I really don't dislike the Bears as a team, believe it or not. I just think Grossman sucks and Smith is really stupid not to replace him.

Yes, if the Bears had a good quarterback I think they would very good.
post #24 of 287
I'll be at the game Thursday. I like Man-Genius, but sorry....it's going to be painful for you. Even in the pre-season.[/QUOTE]

I am not afraid. Have fun at the game.
post #25 of 287
I've got to agree with SDW on the Grossman point. It's not because I'm a GB fan either. He just straight-up sucks. He's fine, and can even be pretty spectacular, against bad, to sometimes mediocre defenses.

When he faces a good defense however, rather than raise his game he folds like a house of cards.
post #26 of 287
Eagles fans are generally great but their passionate support for the team tends to scare a lot of outsiders. I do want to see the Eagles win a Super Bowl soon, though. By the way, I blame the Eagles' coaching staff for losing the Super Bowl to the Patriots--what were they thinking by NOT running a no-huddle offense in the fourth quarter?
post #27 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoMan01 View Post

Eagles fans are generally great but their passionate support for the team tends to scare a lot of outsiders. I do want to see the Eagles win a Super Bowl soon, though. By the way, I blame the Eagles' coaching staff for losing the Super Bowl to the Patriots--what were they thinking by NOT running a no-huddle offense in the fourth quarter?

I blame the coaches and McNabb personally. I'm a McNabb fan, but he has his flaws. Personally I think they really didn't think they could win. I knew they would lose when I saw them get off the bus, and Donny had a video camera, shooting the scenes. I kind of feel like a lot of them were happy just to be there. As for the game, McNabb had TO open multiple times and missed him...didn't even make the throw. He could have shredded the Patriots defense. And then the hurry up offense or the lack thereof, that was atrocious.

And yes, be afraid. Be very afraid. Wait 'til the home opener on Monday 9/17. We are going to tear that place apart after drinking for 12 hours.
post #28 of 287
Quote:

And yes, be afraid. Be very afraid. Wait 'til the home opener on Monday 9/17. We are going to tear that place apart after drinking for 12 hours.

post #29 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoMan01 View Post

Eagles fans are generally great but their passionate support for the team tends to scare a lot of outsiders.

WTF are you talking about?
Eagles fans are second only to Raiders fans as the worst behaved fans in the NFL.

Quote:

See, that's what I'm talking about.
post #30 of 287
I'd have to say the San Diego Raider fans are the worst behaved fans in the NFL.
post #31 of 287
Quote:

Eagles fans are second only to Raiders fans as the worst behaved fans in the NFL.

See, that's what I'm talking about.

I don't think that's true actually. We're crazy, but the days of Eagles Court are gone.
post #32 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Fucking McNabb. He's lighter now, so hopefully the puking days are over.
post #33 of 287
Quote:

I don't think that's true actually. We're crazy, but the days of Eagles Court are gone.

I doubt those days are gone.
Like Veterans Stadium, The Linc has a courtroom right there in the stadium. You won't see Judge Seamus McCaffrey anymore, but they know their fans and they incorporated a jail/courtroom into the design because of it.
post #34 of 287
Forget the 4th preseason game--The Phillies are starting to make Baseball interesting again!

Course this glimmer of hope will surely be gone by the first real game Sept 9th...
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #35 of 287
Quote:

I doubt those days are gone.
Like Veterans Stadium, The Linc has a courtroom right there in the stadium. You won't see Judge Seamus McCaffrey anymore, but they know their fans and they incorporated a jail/courtroom into the design because of it.

I don't think that's true actually. I haven't heard it before.
post #36 of 287
Quote:

Eagles fans were horrible-behaving back in the old Veterans Stadium days because that now-demolished stadium was a dump that contributed to bad attitude of the fans. I think the vastly more modern Lincoln Financial Field (the "Linc") has actually calmed down some of the fans there.

By the way, ESPN did a story some years ago about the day Eagles fans booed a man in a Santa Claus suit; the real story was that between the team having a seriously bad losing season and losing out on getting O.J. Simpson as the first player in the NFL draft, the fans of the team was woefully frustrated and it didn't take much to cause a riotous situation.
post #37 of 287
So, what's your opinion so far on the Eagles' draft picks. I know it's early yet, but based on the pre-season so far:

Kolb - Kinda questionable taking him when McNabb has at least 5-8 good years left in him, but he looks like the real deal. Definitely be starting for someone before too long.

Hunt - Hasn't had much playing time, but seems to be starter quality material.

Celek - If he's not the starting TE by week 2 at the latest, the coaching staff is nuts.

The rest I haven't seen enough of, though Ilaoa may have some potential.
The Story of Stuff
The Story of Stuff
post #38 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

So, what's your opinion so far on the Eagles' draft picks. I know it's early yet, but based on the pre-season so far:

Kolb - Kinda questionable taking him when McNabb has at least 5-8 good years left in him, but he looks like the real deal. Definitely be starting for someone before too long.

Hunt - Hasn't had much playing time, but seems to be starter quality material.

Celek - If he's not the starting TE by week 2 at the latest, the coaching staff is nuts.

The rest I haven't seen enough of, though Ilaoa may have some potential.

Kolb: Agree, but Andy liked him for at least 4 years....saw him play as a college frosh. He's very good. And McNabb, well they're covering their bets. I'd say 8 years is a stretch...I'd go with maybe 5-6. That would make him 37 at retirement...about right. And that's if he's healthy. He could go downhill or get reinjured. The Eagles have signed Kolb to a 4 year deal, which seems about right. 4 years learning from McNabb could make Kolb the next Steve Young.

Hunt: Looks good. He's not fast and not huge, but he runs downhill and has power. I think they really need him....in fact I think they should can Buck, who I've never liked.

Celek: He's great.

Illoa: Who knows. Maybe I'll see him tomorrow as the starters won't be in much. Right now I don't hear anything great. Oh...never mind. I plant o be pretty drunk tomorrow, so who knows!

My real questions for the team at this point are the passing D....and just behind that, the running D. The latter has looked better, but they got mauled on Sunday night in the air. That is unacceptable.
post #39 of 287
Quote:

He's not fast and not huge

I understand the reasoning behind the NFL's obsession with certain sizes at certain positions, but look at the top 3 all time rushing leaders:

Emmitt Smith - 5'9" 207Lbs
Barry Sanders - 5'8" 203Lbs
Walter Payton - 5'10" 200Lbs

Brian Westbrook - 5'10" 203Lbs
Tony Hunt - 6'1" 233Lbs
Buckhalter - 6'0" 217Lbs

Size wise he reminds me allot of Herschel Walker (6'1", 225), though so far he doesn't look quite as powerful, or nearly as fast. (Herschel being one of those players with 'rare speed' in his prime) Should be a nice between the tackles, 'North South' runner, and the closest thing to a power back the Eagles have. Not sure about his pass catching from what games I have seen on TV so far.

I agree with you on the D, what used to be the Eagle's best area is looking like it might be mediocre this year. Hopefully Johnson has been playing a vanilla defense for the pre-season, or else the players are taking longer than usual to gel together. If they keep playing the way they are, it might be a long season...
The Story of Stuff
The Story of Stuff
post #40 of 287
...the Indianapolis Colts!

Just got done watching them take the Saints (easily in the top 3 of the NFC) to school. Barring a major injury bug, if the Colts don't repeat as champs they'd better fire Dungy!
The Story of Stuff
The Story of Stuff
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Well, it's time: E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!