or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Well, it's time: E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

Well, it's time: E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES! - Page 5

post #161 of 287
Nope.
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
post #162 of 287
But alas, the Eagles ran out of gas at the end. Count on the team to do something stupid at the end, as I've read on other message boards online.
post #163 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

Nope.

Incorrect. Indy did.

Feeley was doing so well until he launched that stupid pass into the end zone.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #164 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Incorrect. Indy did.

Exactly. That was stupid. All we had to do is kick a field goal and tie the game, or let Westbrook pound it, possibly for a touchdown. I think without that interception, we win the game.

Man, the defense looked GREAT though. I guess it was a moral victory in some ways...the biggest line ever (or close), and the Eagles nearly pull it off. Nice. But this season is basically done I think. 5-6 is not sitting well with me. I will say this...if they play like that in the next 5 games, we might be talking.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #165 of 287
I'm not sure if this is true, but I read somewhere that Feeley was trying to throw it away and simply didn't put enough on it.

Certainly it was heartening to see a team not be intimidated by New England. The Bufallo game was just awful. Their defensive strategy seemed to play zone and pass Moss off to the next person, and try to avoid the blame.

Regular season wise, I think Pittsburgh is the type of team that could give NE a tough game if their offensive line can hold things together (from what I've seen though, it's a pretty bad o-line).
post #166 of 287
Quote:

I'm not sure if this is true, but I read somewhere that Feeley was trying to throw it away and simply didn't put enough on it.

Certainly it was heartening to see a team not be intimidated by New England. The Bufallo game was just awful. Their defensive strategy seemed to play zone and pass Moss off to the next person, and try to avoid the blame.

Regular season wise, I think Pittsburgh is the type of team that could give NE a tough game if their offensive line can hold things together (from what I've seen though, it's a pretty bad o-line).

I just read that...he claims both INTs (not counting the last one) were like that. It just sucks though. I think we really had them. We could have won. Best we can do is 10-6 now, Dallas is still up. Still, 10-6 is good enough for the playoffs in the NFC.
post #167 of 287
Quote:

Incorrect. Indy did.

Forgot that Brady came back that game with two touchdowns in the 4th.

My bad...
post #168 of 287
55 minutes of top notch football, followed by 5 minutes of this season's typical clock mismanagement and screwy mistakes.

Have to admit Philly played much better than I expected.
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #169 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I just read that...he claims both INTs (not counting the last one) were like that. It just sucks though. I think we really had them. We could have won. Best we can do is 10-6 now, Dallas is still up. Still, 10-6 is good enough for the playoffs in the NFC.

Well, some team at 5-6 is going to make the playoffs in the NFC. I cannot believe that Detroit (currently in a 3 game loosing streak) and the Giants (they suck!) will BOTH hold on. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if neither made it.
There are, what, 4 teams at 5-6. Mark my words: one of them is getting to the show (and it still could be the Eagles).
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #170 of 287
Quote:

Still, 10-6 is good enough for the playoffs in the NFC.

I know you're giddy over the Eagles' performance, but 10-6? Playoffs?

You are dreaming.
post #171 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake View Post

I know you're giddy over the Eagles' performance, but 10-6? Playoffs?

You are dreaming.

Then you don't look at it objectively. The only team that should give them problems on the schedule is Dallas. That would mean they'd go 9-7. If they played like they did last night, they'd beat Dallas.

I'm not holding out false hope. They could always lose next week AND at Dallas. There is no telling with this group.
post #172 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

There are, what, 4 teams at 5-6.

Amazingly, there are SIX teams in the NFC with 5-6 records

Philly
Washington
Chicago
Minnesota
Arizona
New Orleans

I agree that one of those teams will probably make it. I think NY holds on, but I think Detroit is doomed, and will probably finish 8-8 or maybe 7-9.

I'd give Philly, Chicago, and New Orleans the best shots. My guess is there will be two or three 9-7 teams, and tiebrakers will decided it (I have no idea what any tiebrakers look like right now, other than Detroit is screwed in pretty much any tiebraker).
post #173 of 287
Quote:

Then you don't look at it objectively. The only team that should give them problems on the schedule is Dallas. That would mean they'd go 9-7. If they played like they did last night, they'd beat Dallas.

I'm not holding out false hope. They could always lose next week AND at Dallas. There is no telling with this group.

Talk about not being objective:
Quote:
Selected posts from SDW:
No one in the NFC is as complete as they are.
Anyway, if al goes well this should my boys' year, at least to go to the 'bowl.

Overall, a REALLY disappointing loss that makes me question my predictions quite a bit.

I just don't get this team. What was it, the uniforms? McNabb looked like his old self, Westbrook was great...the D played well against a hot offense.

Well, it was an anal shanking, that's true. The line was truly pathetic.

The loss was pathetic and unacceptable. Fucking pathetic.

So let's talk about Sunday. It was a fairly decent win.

At this point the season is done.

At this point I think we turn to next year.

Well they won, but it wasn't pretty.

I understand being passionate about your team, but you have no objectivity. You are erratic and slightly irrational. You are posting with your heart, not with your head. That's cool, that's part of what makes the NFL so enjoyable, but the Eagles are not a playoff team.
Even if they squeak through they won't last past the first round.

On any given day a team can beat the best team in history - and the Eagles almost did it, but I think that was a aberration.
Remember when Garcia took over for McNabb? The team played harder. The same thing happened last night. McNabb will be back next week (maybe) and they'll go back to beating themselves.

When the Patriots were 14-2 in 2004 they lost to a horrible Dolphins team. Anything can happen during a given week, but it's not going to happen week after week.
post #174 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake View Post

Talk about not being objective:

I understand being passionate about your team, but you have no objectivity. You are erratic and slightly irrational. You are posting with your heart, not with your head. That's cool, that's part of what makes the NFL so enjoyable, but the Eagles are not a playoff team.
Even if they squeak through they won't last past the first round.

On any given day a team can beat the best team in history - and the Eagles almost did it, but I think that was a aberration.
Remember when Garcia took over for McNabb? The team played harder. The same thing happened last night. McNabb will be back next week (maybe) and they'll go back to beating themselves.

When the Patriots were 14-2 in 2004 they lost to a horrible Dolphins team. Anything can happen during a given week, but it's not going to happen week after week.

Uh, I tell it like it is, champ. When they suck I say so. If they play well, I say so. And yes, I'm passionate about my team. That doesn't mean I can't be objective. Looking at the schedule, the only team that SHOULD give them a real problem IF THEY PLAY WELL, is Dallas. But as I said, who knows. It's the Eagles. They could easily return to suck land, as you essentially point out.
post #175 of 287
I can't believe Sean Taylor has died.

How sad.

Why has it seemed there has been an influx of professional athletes homes being broken into and robbed at gunpoint? This is like the 5th one in a year.
post #176 of 287
In SDW's defense, according to the most objective measurement I know, the Eagles are the #12 team in the league.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/200...-ratings/5809/

So they're an above average team, although I agree that their chances to do anything in the playoffs, if they happened to make it, are slim.
post #177 of 287
Quote:

In SDW's defense, according to the most objective measurement I know, the Eagles are the #12 team in the league.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/200...-ratings/5809/

So they're an above average team, although I agree that their chances to do anything in the playoffs, if they happened to make it, are slim.

Well, my problem with that site though is that it lists SF as dead last and MIA as several steps better. The Niners have won 3 games and the Dolphins have won none. Hmmm?
post #178 of 287
You should really read the description of how they calculate DVOA. It'll make a little more sense after you read it, but Pretty much the same way Detroit can be ranked 22nd. It's not a be all end all sort of thing, and the creators readily acknowledge that, but the fact that DVOA breaks down every single play by every team for the whole year can be used to looks at teams, offense / defense, pretty specific stuff like 3rd down offense and specific players, it can provide some really interesting insights.

Ugh, sweet run-on sentence I've got going there.
post #179 of 287
Season Over. See you next year.
post #180 of 287
Quote:

No offense SDW2001, but as a long time die hard NYGiants fan, YES!!!!!
I hate the that team more than all of the other teams in the NFL combined.

But, I am worried about playing you guys this week. Those games are almost always rough and tumble slugfests.
post #181 of 287
Quote:

Nahh.
Suck it up, man.
Sure, the playoffs are out. But we still have a chance to beat the Giants and the Cowboys. Sometimes you just got to make the best of what you got. Helping the Giants to a Mets-like skid would be fun!

And beating the Cowboys always gives me the warm fuzzies in a violent, football sort of way...
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #182 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Nahh.
Suck it up, man.
Sure, the playoffs are out. But we still have a chance to beat the Giants and the Cowboys. Sometimes you just got to make the best of what you got. Helping the Giants to a Mets-like skid would be fun!

And beating the Cowboys always gives me the warm fuzzies in a violent, football sort of way...

That is true. I'm not saying I won't watch, I just know it's over now.
post #183 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

No offense SDW2001, but as a long time die hard NYGiants fan, YES!!!!!
I hate the that team more than all of the other teams in the NFL combined.

But, I am worried about playing you guys this week. Those games are almost always rough and tumble slugfests.

Question: Why do you hate the Eagles? I don't know many people that do, even if they don't like them.

I hate teams for specific reasons. For example, Tony Romo has a shit eating grin on his face and Terrell Owens is big cry baby. Bill Bellichick is a classless, cheating, asshole (and it's reflected in his team's conduct).... and Tom Brady looks like he's right of of GQ.
post #184 of 287
He probably hates Philly fans.

How can you not? You guys fuckin' booed Santa Claus.
post #185 of 287
Quote:

Yeah, About that.

How come everybody automatically takes Santa's side?

I say the bum deserved it!
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #186 of 287
So, do the Patriots have a deal with Satan himself, or what?
Baltimore/Pats was the craziest end to a game I've seen, ever.

If I was the Baltimore owner, I'd fire whoever called that timeout right at the snap that negated the potential game winning play. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

And what was up with the officiating? I'm sure that the Ravens deserved many of those penalties, but it sure felt like they were rooting for N.E.

That winning catch was clearly being juggled on the replay IMHO, but I suppose whoever was in the booth didn't have the chutzpah to overturn it.

I have to admit that the Patriots did play hard, but so many breaks seem to go their way.

Sigh. \
The Story of Stuff
The Story of Stuff
post #187 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

So, do the Patriots have a deal with Satan himself, or what?
Baltimore/Pats was the craziest end to a game I've seen, ever.

If I was the Baltimore owner, I'd fire whoever called that timeout right at the snap that negated the potential game winning play. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

And what was up with the officiating? I'm sure that the Ravens deserved many of those penalties, but it sure felt like they were rooting for N.E.

That winning catch was clearly being juggled on the replay IMHO, but I suppose whoever was in the booth didn't have the chutzpah to overturn it.

I have to admit that the Patriots did play hard, but so many breaks seem to go their way.

Sigh. \

Dude, as someone that HATES the Patriots, I think you're way off base.

1. The catch was not being juggled. The ball was not moving at all. It was clearly a touchdown.

2. The officials did their job. I am very critical of calls when I think they're not correct, and I thought they did a good job. The Ravens did it to themselves.
post #188 of 287
Quote:

Dude, as someone that HATES the Patriots, I think you're way off base.

1. The catch was not being juggled. The ball was not moving at all. It was clearly a touchdown.

I don't know, it looked to me like it was balancing on his fingertips before he went out of bounds. Even the commentators noted that it was a debatable TD. I'd agree that it was a close call, back before instant replay that play would not of been in question.

Quote:
2. The officials did their job. I am very critical of calls when I think they're not correct, and I thought they did a good job. The Ravens did it to themselves.

Like I said, I'm sure the Ravens deserved those penalties, it just seemed like more flags were flying against them in the final 4 or 5 minutes. Probably they just had mental breakdowns. This is entirely subjective though, being that I don't have a tape of the game.

While there is some controversy, apparently it is unbased.
The Story of Stuff
The Story of Stuff
post #189 of 287
Quote:

Question: Why do you hate the Eagles? I don't know many people that do, even if they don't like them.

I hate teams for specific reasons. For example, Tony Romo has a shit eating grin on his face and Terrell Owens is big cry baby. Bill Bellichick is a classless, cheating, asshole (and it's reflected in his team's conduct).... and Tom Brady looks like he's right of of GQ.

Buddy Ryan. I read that he had some kind of deal (I guess it was a bounty) with some of his players to deliberately injure other players (I don't mean bruises, I'm talking serious season ending injuries). I don't go for this kind of play. A single game ending bruise is ok with me.

I agree 100% with your assessments of the other teams.
post #190 of 287
Quote:

Buddy Ryan. I read that he had some kind of deal (I guess it was a bounty) with some of his players to deliberately injure other players (I don't mean bruises, I'm talking serious season ending injuries). I don't go for this kind of play. A single game ending bruise is ok with me.

I agree 100% with your assessments of the other teams.

Is Buddy Ryan the coach now? Do you also hate the Giants because Lawrence Taylor broke Joe Montana's hand in 1990?
post #191 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

I don't know, it looked to me like it was balancing on his fingertips before he went out of bounds. Even the commentators noted that it was a debatable TD. I'd agree that it was a close call, back before instant replay that play would not of been in question.

Debatable yes. Controversial? No. The ball was not moving in his hands, which is the key. Not sure what you mean by the last part. It was ruled a touchdown on the field, so of course it wouldn't be in question. Perhaps that is what you meant.

Quote:
Like I said, I'm sure the Ravens deserved those penalties, it just seemed like more flags were flying against them in the final 4 or 5 minutes. Probably they just had mental breakdowns. This is entirely subjective though, being that I don't have a tape of the game.

Well, I hear you about being subjective. I said before I thought that one ref that did a lot of Eagles games sounded excited when he called against them. My issue is when you say they were rooting for the Pats. That really doesn't make sense.

Quote:

While there is some controversy, apparently it is unbased.

There's only "controversy" because the article says there is. I don't think there is any controversy at all. Any that exists is illegitimate, as shown by the link.
post #192 of 287
Quote:

I like and respect McNabb and some of the other Eagles as football players, but I hate the Eagles mainly because of their fans.

And my hatred of the Eagles and their classless fans began on Sunday, November 10, 1999 - and that hatred will never end or wane in its intensity.
Anything bad that happens to them as a team only brings me joy.

Incidentally, my main client at work is a born and raised Philly fan (his favorite expression is "douche" ) and we have some lively arguments when football season rolls around.
post #193 of 287
Quote:

Debatable yes. Controversial? No. The ball was not moving in his hands, which is the key. Not sure what you mean by the last part. It was ruled a touchdown on the field, so of course it wouldn't be in question. Perhaps that is what you meant.

Upon further review, I guess it falls into the 'not enough clear evidence to overturn' category.
I still think he was juggling the ball though...

On the subject of the Patriots, can anyone beat them this year?

I think the Giants are a possibility, since they should be resting starters the final game of the year, but we're talking Bill Belichick here, he runs up the score and keeps his starters in when they're ahead by several touchdowns, week after week.

The Steelers have a strong shot, they are #1 in Total YPG, and #1 in Passing YPG. Should be an interesting match up with the Patriots having the #1 passing attack against the #1 pass defense. Theory says that defense should win that match up, but you never know with the Patriots, they just find ways to win games.

Personally, I think it would be beyond awesome if the Dolphins are the ones to beat them!
The Story of Stuff
The Story of Stuff
post #194 of 287
Quote:

Is Buddy Ryan the coach now? Do you also hate the Giants because Lawrence Taylor broke Joe Montana's hand in 1990?

If the owner(s) of the team had at least reprimanded and fined him, maybe I would have a different point of view. I don't recall the fans complaining about him either. If a NYGiant coach ever did this, I would want him fired. And I wouldn't like it if one of the Giants players did a deliberate hit on somebody with what appeared to me to be intent to end his playing for the remainder of the season.

LT broke Montana's hand? I don't remember that. Are you thinking of Joe Thiesman's leg? If so, that wasn't purposely done by LT. I have seen a few recent hits on knees in the last few years and some of them look clearly to me like they were on purpose.

I can't believe you guys are favored by about 3 points. I wish McNabb was not ready to play until next week.
post #195 of 287
Quote:

LT broke Montana's hand? I don't remember that. Are you thinking of Joe Thiesman's leg? If so, that wasn't purposely done by LT. I have seen a few recent hits on knees in the last few years and some of them look clearly to me like they were on purpose.

He may be thinking of this:

Quote:
But the game will always be remembered for the vaporizing hit that Leonard Marshall put on Joe Montana in the fourth quarter, incurring a broken hand and other injuries that would knock Montana out of the 1991 season and ultimately end his career in San Francisco.

IIRC Marshall may have bent Montana's hand back, but I can't find a reference to it on the internet.
The Story of Stuff
The Story of Stuff
post #196 of 287
Quote:

If the owner(s) of the team had at least reprimanded and fined him, maybe I would have a different point of view. I don't recall the fans complaining about him either. If a NYGiant coach ever did this, I would want him fired. And I wouldn't like it if one of the Giants players did a deliberate hit on somebody with what appeared to me to be intent to end his playing for the remainder of the season.

I can't believe you guys are favored by about 3 points. I wish McNabb was not ready to play until next week.

First, do you have evidence showing Buddy Ryan told players to injure other players? Secondly, do you believe the current management in the same as it was during his tenure? Thirdly, do you think Philly fans support that kind of thing?

As for Montana, yes, his had was broken in the playoffs in 1991 (during the 1990 season). My mistake though, it wasn't Taylor, it was Leonard Marshall.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2767857
post #197 of 287
That was the worst game ever.

Why did you have to fumble Roger?
post #198 of 287
Quote:

First, do you have evidence showing Buddy Ryan told players to injure other players? Secondly, do you believe the current management in the same as it was during his tenure? Thirdly, do you think Philly fans support that kind of thing?

The only evidence I got is what I heard in the media.

I don't know who owns the team now. For all I know, its the same owners.

I don't recall the fans (and any talk of the media about the fans) publicly saying that it was wrong and that they disagreed with it.
post #199 of 287
Quote:

The only evidence I got is what I heard in the media.

I don't know who owns the team now. For all I know, its the same owners.

I don't recall the fans (and any talk of the media about the fans) publicly saying that it was wrong and that they disagreed with it.

1. Not enough. That's a rumor.
2. Jeff Lurie does. He bought it in 1994. Ryan was the coach 86-91
3. So your evidence of support is "I didn't hear the media showing people who disagreed." Come on, dude. At least try.
post #200 of 287
Ugh. 5-8.

So what did you all think of the game? I thought McNabb played well for the most part. He looks more like himself, though the offense is just out of sync still.

Now, I also think the officials had a great part in deciding this game. Just when I was about to say officials in general were doing a better job, I saw this game. There was the one Giants' fumble, which was debatable...but the whole thing was handled poorly. It was ruled a fumble, then overruled on the field. Then Reid challenges, and the announcers think it was likely a fumble. It goes the other way, which is fine as it was clos... but then the explanation is that the runner was down by contact. One problem...that was objectively false.

The worst was at the end of the game. Westbrook was literally held down and prevented from getting to the line for the next play. This was a clear violation that happened right in front of the official. The announcers were having a fit, and the officials just ignored it totally. It very likely changed the outcome of the game, as the Eagles probably lost a full play by having that happen. One more play could have been 5 or 10 yards and the difference in the missed field goal.

Anyway, perhaps a freak of nature will occur and they'll make the playoffs at 8-8 after pulling off a miracle in Dallas. Or not. Time to get ready for the draft. And Wing Bowl!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Well, it's time: E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!