or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Well, it's time: E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Well, it's time: E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES! - Page 2

post #41 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

...the Indianapolis Colts!

Just got done watching them take the Saints (easily in the top 3 of the NFC) to school. Barring a major injury bug, if the Colts don't repeat as champs they'd better fire Dungy!

Don't be so hasty. It was merely the first game. Plus, once you get behind the colts by more than one score, it's REALLY easy for it to snowball into a blowout (especially when the game's in Indy), and it's been that way for the last five years.

Clearly the Colt's are a good team capable of winning a superbowl, but it's best not to go overboard.


On another note, Reggie Wayne, despite the fumble, equal for my fantasy team.

Marques Colston, on the other hand, equals for my fantasy team.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #42 of 287
A bit premature maybe, but the Colts are definitely the team to beat for now. Their offense has been a powerhouse for a while, but they are finally putting together a decent defense to go with it. Scary!

(no, I'm not an Indy fan )
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
post #43 of 287
They looked good to be sure, but in the immortal words of Denny Green, I don't think it's time to "crown their ass"
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #44 of 287
GO PACK GO!!!!

Seriously, they were very fortunate to win the game, and were saved by Philly's incredibly poor special teams play.

The O-Line is awful, and Favre is seriously loosing it, but the defense looked great.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #45 of 287
Wow, what happened to the Eagles special teams, they used to be reliable? Now they're special in a whole different way...

Time for Harbaugh to pull double duty as DB and ST coach...\

And 33 pass attempts for your QB who's coming off a knee injury?
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
post #46 of 287
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

GO PACK GO!!!!

Seriously, they were very fortunate to win the game, and were saved by Philly's incredibly poor special teams play.

The O-Line is awful, and Favre is seriously loosing it, but the defense looked great.

Well, after I pulled the remote out of the TV screen....

First, Green Bay didn't win. The Eagles lost. They beat themselves. TWO PR fumbles? Losing the game despite the opposing team not scoring an offensive touchdown? Pathetic. The special teams coach should be fired on the spot. I'm deadly serious. That second fumble was straight up amateurish. Totally unacceptable.

I was much more upset during the game. Afterwards, I see it this way:

-McNabb had kind of a bad game. I'l give him the benefit of the doubt since it's his first back. He didn't really lose the game for them though. He just didn't play his best.

-Curtis look really good. He's going to be something.

-For the most part the defense played really well. They pretty much totally stopped the offense. Without the two special teams mistakes, the score would have 13-3 Eagles, probably higher since they would have had two more possessions. This really should have been a 24-3 game. It might well have been. No excuses though.

-The offense was out of sync. That happens, but this is supposed to be a super bowl team?


Overall, a REALLY disappointing loss that makes me question my predictions quite a bit. In the end this was the Packers, who only have the redeeming value of a decent defense. Their offense blows. So if the Eagles can't beat them, I don't know. Then again, in 2002 they started 0-2 and went to the NFC Championship.

I'll be at the home opener Monday. I'm sure I'll be a raving lunatic and will have forgotten about today's loss by then.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #47 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

First, Green Bay didn't win. The Eagles lost. They beat themselves. TWO PR fumbles? Losing the game despite the opposing team not scoring an offensive touchdown? Pathetic. The special teams coach should be fired on the spot. I'm deadly serious. That second fumble was straight up amateurish. Totally unacceptable.

Yeah. I cannot see any excuse for the punt return mistakes. Lets not forget that they almost muffed another punt. let it bounce twice and then grab it from your knees while 5 defenders are converging? I have to blame the ST coach for this.
This was an unacceptable loss. I have not believed the pre season hype--I don't see the Eagles being that good even in a weak NFC--and they cannot affford stupid losses like this.

SDW, I'm glad you will be at the home opener--I don't know if I will make it to next week!
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #48 of 287
Well SDW,

It looks like you've managed to turn your Eagles thread into this years NFL season thread. Damn you...

Just a thought I wanted to post:

I've never been big on watching pro football the entire day. Generally, I'll always watch my Niners and catch up with the rest of the league on Sportscenter later that night.

[Salespitch] But recently I switched to DirecTV and decided to try out the Sunday Ticket. I bought the little extra thingamabob that allows you to watch them all in HD, and within 5 minutes of watching it, I had sensory overload. I haven't channel surfed like that since I was seven on Saturday mornings. The price is ridiculous for the package, but after today I'm not sure I regret it. Football in HD is better than any other sport in HD. Period. [/Salespitch]

Lots of fun stuff happened today. The 108 yard kickoff return, Randy Moss' ridiculous game, the three or four GW FG's...

But I think the one thing that stood out for me was Donovan McNabb's face when Crosby kicked that game winner. I can't count the times I've seen that same expression on his face. Usually I see that face in December.

Anyway, great start to the season. Good luck to those who aren't in the NFC West...
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
post #49 of 287
I think this article offers an excellent summation of the GB/PHI contesnt.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=659147
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #50 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

Lots of fun stuff happened today. The 108 yard kickoff return, Randy Moss' ridiculous game, the three or four GW FG's...

After watching yesterday's Pats / Jets game I think we'll be hearing lots of "Brady to Moss!" this season. The Pats were on top of their game. Guess we'll have to see who wins the Pats / Colts shootout to go to the big game.
post #51 of 287
Ugly win.

Mike, Mike, and Mike should never do a football game again.

Patrick Willis is a monster.

That is all.
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
post #52 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post


Mike, Mike, and Mike should never do a football game again.

Agreed, I had to turn it off because the 'commentary' was stinking up the place!

That, and it was getting late....*shakes fist at the left coasters and their timezone advantage*

You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
post #53 of 287
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

After watching yesterday's Pats / Jets game I think we'll be hearing lots of "Brady to Moss!" this season. The Pats were on top of their game. Guess we'll have to see who wins the Pats / Colts shootout to go to the big game.

What I can't stand, and I know I've posted this before, is how the commentators are so UP NEW ENGLAND'S ASS. It's been like for years.

Point 2: One thing I forgot to my annual bitching about the one black referee who did the GB-PHI game (don't know his name). He is a BIASED PIECE OF SHIT. You can actually see him call against Philly with more enthusiasm. He puts a little delay in the call when calling against them....like this:

(signal) Pass interference.....OFFENSE! (penalty).

When calling against the other team (whomever...it's been going on for at least two years) he doesn't do that and calls the "offense/defense" part with less vigor. I've seen it at least a dozen times and I know I'm not imagining it.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #54 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I know I'm not imagining it.

You're imagining it. You've displayed in multiple Eagles threads I've read here the past two or three seasons that you're not particularly capable of objective analysis of your team, and I simply don't believe you.

That said, the NFL does have an officiating problem.

The offensive pass interference call at the end of the Baltimore game last night is the kind of call that makes you think, "Is that ref on the take?"

Then he follows it up with an almost equally BS make-up call, and you realize, no, he's just incompetent.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #55 of 287
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

You're imagining it. You've displayed in multiple Eagles threads I've read here the past two or three seasons that you're not particularly capable of objective analysis of your team, and I simply don't believe you.

That said, the NFL does have an officiating problem.

The offensive pass interference call at the end of the Baltimore game last night is the kind of call that makes you think, "Is that ref on the take?"

Then he follows it up with an almost equally BS make-up call, and you realize, no, he's just incompetent.

So let me get this straight. You're accusing a ref of possibly being on the take, and yet I'm not objective? You sir, are full of horse shit.

I have been clear and candid about the Eagles loss. The loss was squarely on special teams and the tepid play of Donovan McNabb. I'm not making excuses. What exactly is your issue?

As for the ref, I have seen it for at least two years now. Before dismissing me, you should watch him. Do you even KNOW who I mean? I've never, ever felt this way about another ref, even if I think that ref is an ass. I noticed it last year and it continues, sometimes worse than others.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #56 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

So let me get this straight. You're accusing a ref of possibly being on the take, and yet I'm not objective? You sir, are full of horse shit.

I have been clear and candid about the Eagles loss. The loss was squarely on special teams and the tepid play of Donovan McNabb. I'm not making excuses. What exactly is your issue?

As for the ref, I have seen it for at least two years now. Before dismissing me, you should watch him. Do you even KNOW who I mean? I've never, ever felt this way about another ref, even if I think that ref is an ass. I noticed it last year and it continues, sometimes worse than others.

Well, you really missed my point. I ultimately am accusing the official that made those two calls at the end of the baltimore/cincy game of incompetence. I had no allegiance in the Monday night game; in fact, that last drive was all I saw of whole game. I'm saying that call was so obviously incorrect, it COULD make the impartial observer wonder if he was on the take. Please note that I never actually thought that, but even the announcers could not hide how ridiculously bad they thought the call was. The make-up call that followed it seemed to confirm that he was just a poor official (or at the least having a very poor game).

Yes, I know exactly what ref you're talking about from the GB/PHI game. I've seen him officiate many times. He always has that same cadence "Holding.... OFFENSE" when there's a pause and then greater emphasis on offense/defense. It becomes more pronounced when it's a big and/or controversial call, and the fans are either very excited or very pissed about the penalty.

Based on your multiple unobjective rants about things relating to the eagles the past couple years, and my own viewing of the referee in question, I feel pretty confident you're imagining things.

Can you site any article from a legitimate sports reporter, or even the crazed blog of an eagles fan (no, you're own blog doesn't count ) to back yourself up?
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #57 of 287
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Well, you really missed my point. I ultimately am accusing the official that made those two calls at the end of the baltimore/cincy game of incompetence. I had no allegiance in the Monday night game; in fact, that last drive was all I saw of whole game. I'm saying that call was so obviously incorrect, it COULD make the impartial observer wonder if he was on the take. Please note that I never actually thought that, but even the announcers could not hide how ridiculously bad they thought the call was. The make-up call that followed it seemed to confirm that he was just a poor official (or at the least having a very poor game).

Well, bad calls happen. What can I say. I saw the one missed call at the SD-CHI game. The defense jumped offsides egregiously, it wasn't called, and it forced a fumble. Possession was awarded to the defense (CHI). Worst of all, "non calls" are not reviewable. Clearly that rule needs to be changed. "Non calls" should, in fact, be reviewable when the missed call results in a change of possession.

Quote:

Yes, I know exactly what ref you're talking about from the GB/PHI game. I've seen him officiate many times. He always has that same cadence "Holding.... OFFENSE" when there's a pause and then greater emphasis on offense/defense. It becomes more pronounced when it's a big and/or controversial call, and the fans are either very excited or very pissed about the penalty.

He does use that cadence, but it's almost always more excited when he calls against Philly. There is no way I could be imagining it over a two year period. I've watched it carefully.

Quote:

Based on your multiple unobjective rants about things relating to the eagles the past couple years, and my own viewing of the referee in question, I feel pretty confident you're imagining things.

I don't really know what all of that means. Could you point to some examples? I mean look, I'm a fan. I get pissed off and excited. I have been hard on Reid many times, and even McNabb. But I don't see why that makes me any different than you. I can still objectively look at the refs. You don't have to agree with my statement. In fact, I'm not even saying he makes calls against them wrongly...just that he clearly calls with more enthusiasm against them.

Quote:
Can you site any article from a legitimate sports reporter, or even the crazed blog of an eagles fan (no, you're own blog doesn't count ) to back yourself up?

Dude, are you kidding me? Because I must tell you, that is a crock of shit request if I've ever seen one. I'm talking about MY perception of this referee over a few years time. You don't have to agree, and neither does anyone else. I don't need to go dig up a link for me to feel better about my perception. I am confident in it because I have eyes and ears.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #58 of 287
Nope, I'm not kidding at all. If this ref was really more excited about making calls against PHI, SOMEONE other than you would be talking about it. The internet's a big place....
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #59 of 287
On a more serious note,

The doctors say Kevin Everett is going to walk again. I can't explain how relieved I am, even though I hardly know anything about him.

Kudos to the doctors and medical staff who treated him immediately after the incident.
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
post #60 of 287
Quote:
New Orleans will likely be good. However, even last year the Eagles had the ability to beat them. They should have won early in the season, only losing on the last play of the game. The playoff game would have been an Eagles win with McNabb and a better defense. So I don't agree there.

Hi, I come here every day, but very rarely post anything. But to the above I have to say: woulda', shoulda', coulda'. Excuses are useless, earn it. GEAUX SAINTS
post #61 of 287
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorin View Post

Hi, I come here every day, but very rarely post anything. But to the above I have to say: woulda', shoulda', coulda'. Excuses are useless, earn it. GEAUX SAINTS

Well, that much is clear. Why?

1. You took my statement utterly out of context.
2. You have 2 posts.
3. You're not adding anything meaningful to the discussion.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #62 of 287
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Nope, I'm not kidding at all. If this ref was really more excited about making calls against PHI, SOMEONE other than you would be talking about it. The internet's a big place....

Funny, because I've talked to several people in person that agree with me. Whatever.

Now, on to a more serious note: The Patriots Cheating! Have you been following this?
Word is Bellichick may get suspended, the team will be fined, and they'll lose draft picks (multiple picks).

A decent opinion piece from sportsline:

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/story/10347994

Now, let me say I have never liked Bellichick. I really always thought the guy was a classless schmuck. The way he treated the media, other coaches and players was disgusting. He looks disheveled and doesn't take pride in his appearance. Anyone see how he pushed the camera guy and blew off Peyton Manning's overture at the end of the AFC Championship last year?

But putting that aside, I did respect his raw abilities as a coach. At this point though, I am wondering what everyone else is: How good were the Patriots the last 5 years or so. Did they deserve to win all those games, including the Super Bowl against the Eagles in 2004? Or at San Diego last year? Many, many Eagles fans felt that the PAts knew what was coming in the second half and were bewildered. I don't think anyone actually believed they were cheating though.

So..my thinking is this: Bellichick must be suspended for 8 games. The team should be fined at least $100,000 (I prefer $500,000) and lose their 1st, 2nd and 3rd round draft picks entirely...AND the money that goes with them (meaning they can't spend it elsewhere). It's severe, but what they've done is severe. They may very well be a fraudulent team in terms if championships. They may have cheated the Eagles and Rams out of Super Bowls. They probably did the same for the Chargers at the playoff game last year, which cost Marty Shottenheimer his goddamned job. And God only knows how many times they cheater the Colts. The amount of damage they have done the to league and it's fans is simply unreal.

And if it happens again? Bellichick gets kicked out the league. Period.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #63 of 287
The whole Pats thing is incredible. Even if the charges end up getting dropped (unlikely from what I've read) they are always going to have a

*

next to their record during the Bellichick years. Bellichick may be an ass, but it's unfortunate for the players, since they had an excellent organization from a personnel point of view. Many skilled, team players on that squad.
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
post #64 of 287
I don't think I'd go quite as far as that editorial.

I'd go with a first and fourth round pick, and a two game suspension for the coach (without pay). If one team is doing this, it's pretty likely other teams are as well. The punishment would be harsh enough make other teams who may be doing similar things reconsider, yet recognize that this has probably been going on in nudge nudge wink wink fashion on other teams.

It'd also be good if they could shrink their salary cap by a million or two, but the players association would never stand for that.

There's also rumors going around about putting microphones on defensive players so they could record audibles, and having a defensive player with a radio in his helmet (something that's been proposed but hasn't had enough teams vote for it to happen). If that stuff was true, I'd suspend Bellichick for the rest of the season. That all seems to be wild speculation at this point, so you have to take those rumors with a big grain of salf.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #65 of 287
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I don't think I'd go quite as far as that editorial.

Well, the language was definitely heated, but why would you not go that far specifically?

Quote:

I'd go with a first and fourth round pick, and a two game suspension for the coach (without pay).

I disagree. That's nowhere near severe enough. Allow me to repost a few sentences from my last post. See if it changes your mind:

Quote:
SDW2001:
They may have cheated the Eagles and Rams out of Super Bowls. They probably did the same for the Chargers at the playoff game last year, which cost Marty Shottenheimer his goddamned job. And God only knows how many times they [cheated] the Colts. The amount of damage they have done the to league and it's fans is simply unreal.

Consider that. For me, that's a half season suspension, multiple top draft picks and a huge ass fine. Think about it: They may have cheated their way into winning the Super Bowl three times. It's not just those teams that suffered either. Think about the playoff teams they beat. Football is big business too...imagine the money Philly lost by not winning the Superbowl. Imagine the potential damage to revenue for the Chargers. And as I said...Shottenheimer might not have lost his job were it not for his first round loss. I mean...it just keeps getting worse the more one things about it. They hurt literally thousands of people, AND the image of the league.

Quote:

if one team is doing this, it's pretty likely other teams are as well. The punishment would be harsh enough make other teams who may be doing similar things reconsider, yet recognize that this has probably been going on in nudge nudge wink wink fashion on other teams.

I don't know as I believe that. I guess we'll never know, 'cause they're going to stop now!

Quote:

It'd also be good if they could shrink their salary cap by a million or two, but the players association would never stand for that.

Fuck the players association. In fact, the opinions I've heard state that if they lose picks, they lose the cap room with them. That's what should happen.

Quote:

There's also rumors going around about putting microphones on defensive players so they could record audibles, and having a defensive player with a radio in his helmet (something that's been proposed but hasn't had enough teams vote for it to happen). If that stuff was true, I'd suspend Bellichick for the rest of the season. That all seems to be wild speculation at this point, so you have to take those rumors with a big grain of salf.

I didn't hear that, though I knew there had been proposals for radios in the defensive player's helmets for the purposes of play calling. It will almost certainly pass now, or so I'd think.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #66 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Think about it: They may have cheated their way into winning the Super Bowl three times. It's not just those teams that suffered either. Think about the playoff teams they beat. Football is big business too...imagine the money Philly lost by not winning the Superbowl.

Eagles question methods used by Pats winning the SB

Quote:
Sheldon Brown and the Eagles hoped a blitz would rattle Tom Brady.

One problem: Every time the Eagles rushed Brady in the Super Bowl, the Patriots nullified the defensive attack with screen passes. Lots of them. On almost every play defensive coordinator Jim Johnson called for a blitz, the Patriots used the short pass to confuse the Eagles.

After the Patriots beat the Eagles 24-21 in 2005 to win the Lombardi Trophy, Brown thought the Patriots beat them with nothing but sharp offensive playcalling. Now, he's not so sure.

****
Some Eagles said occasional signal-stealing is an accepted part of the game. But they believe what the Patriots are accused of doing crosses the football morality line because it threatens the integrity of the game.

You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
post #67 of 287
Well, it's all academic now that the penalty has been handed down. It seems fair enough to me. I don't think you can penalize for infractions you think maybe happened.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #68 of 287
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Well, it's all academic now that the penalty has been handed down. It seems fair enough to me. I don't think you can penalize for infractions you think maybe happened.

Not specifically, no. But it should be taken into consideration. I am actually pretty happy with the decision. The fine is huge...way more than I thought it would be. I still think he should have suspended for half the season. Goodell presented a false dilemma of the suspension not being as long lasting as the draft pick and the fine. But it really should have been all three.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #69 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Not specifically, no. But it should be taken into consideration. I am actually pretty happy with the decision. The fine is huge...way more than I thought it would be. I still think he should have suspended for half the season. Goodell presented a false dilemma of the suspension not being as long lasting as the draft pick and the fine. But it really should have been all three.

All 3? For using a camcorder? You gotta remember, stealing opposing teams' signals wasn't the rule-breaking part. Only using the camcorder was. If a team has a guy on the sideline with binoculars and a sketch pad, it's OK. It was only the fact this Pats guy was using a camcorder that made it a violation.

Even though I'm a Pats fan (and have been since the 80s), I'm glad they were fined and lost a draft pick. They could've even suspended Belichick a game as well, but 1/2 the season is going a bit overboard IMO.
post #70 of 287
I like The Onion

Really, you could write a similar article for almost any team, but I'll be darned if those Eagles fans aren't just fun to pick on.

This one is also hilarious.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #71 of 287
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I like The Onion

Really, you could write a similar article for almost any team, but I'll be darned if those Eagles fans aren't just fun to pick on.

This one is also hilarious.

Dude...that Philly/McNabb article is AWESOME. hahaha.

Quote:
"This organization expects a lot from Donovan," Reid told a group of angry fans Wednesday. "After all, we did use the second overall draft pick on him eight years ago, and while he's done really well considering we made him run the offense for years with bargain- basement wide receivers and running backs that couldn't stay healthy, I agree that now is the time to finally get something back on our investment."

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #72 of 287
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

All 3? For using a camcorder? You gotta remember, stealing opposing teams' signals wasn't the rule-breaking part. Only using the camcorder was. If a team has a guy on the sideline with binoculars and a sketch pad, it's OK. It was only the fact this Pats guy was using a camcorder that made it a violation.

Even though I'm a Pats fan (and have been since the 80s), I'm glad they were fined and lost a draft pick. They could've even suspended Belichick a game as well, but 1/2 the season is going a bit overboard IMO.

Dude...it was a BLATANT violation. They cheated. It's not anywhere near the same as sitting down with a clipboard and pencil. What's worse is they've been caught doing it before. You have to be kidding.

I think the decision is a good one, but I still think Belichick should have been suspended for 8 games. I want you to think abut it like this: A head coach in the NFL knowingly cheated.

Again, consider the damage:
  • Possible fraudulent championships
  • Possible fraudulent playoff wins
  • Loss of confidence in league's integrity
  • Impact to Patriot's ticket sales and/or merchandising
  • Damage to Philadelphia Eagles, Carolina Panthers, and St. Louis
    Rams. All three may have won without the Pats cheating.
  • The loss of Marty Shottenheimer's JOB.
  • Possible fraudulent win streak against Colts. Subsequent financial impacts.
  • Inflating of Tom Brady's stats in QB rating, passing yards, interceptions, sacks, et al.

The list goes on. Worst of all, it's irreversible damage. So don't tell me a half season suspension of that sleaze bag would have been "over the top." He did it on purpose. Jesus.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #73 of 287
"The Cowboys are 2-0; the 49ers are 2-0; the Packers are 2-0; O.J. is in jail; it's like it's the mid 90's again."
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
post #74 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

"The Cowboys are 2-0; the 49ers are 2-0; the Packers are 2-0; O.J. is in jail; it's like it's the mid 90's again."

That was pretty funny.

As for the Eagles....ugh...

NO, absolutely NO game plan adjustments by Reid, AGAIN.

Westbrook is tearing up the 'Skins D? Throw 3 passes in a row every time you get inside the 20.

Another year without a single wide-out that scares the defense. All opponents for the rest of the year are going to follow the Skins blueprint and man 2 man with bump on the WR/TE, and put 7 in the box to contain Westbrook. There will be absolutely nothing the Eagles will be able to do about it, since Reid has used the same game plan for the last 8 seasons.


Shameful, just shameful.

Too soon to start a petition for Reid's dismissal?
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
post #75 of 287
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

That was pretty funny.

As for the Eagles....ugh...

NO, absolutely NO game plan adjustments by Reid, AGAIN.

Westbrook is tearing up the 'Skins D? Throw 3 passes in a row every time you get inside the 20.

Another year without a single wide-out that scares the defense. All opponents for the rest of the year are going to follow the Skins blueprint and man 2 man with bump on the WR/TE, and put 7 in the box to contain Westbrook. There will be absolutely nothing the Eagles will be able to do about it, since Reid has used the same game plan for the last 8 seasons.


Shameful, just shameful.

Too soon to start a petition for Reid's dismissal?

Obviously I have been critical of him and called for him to go before. It's a very tough call. We've been to the NFC Championship game 4 years in a row, going to the Super Bowl once. We've been in the playoffs consistently.

That said, my problem with Reid has been three-fold:

1. He doesn't emotionally/mentally prepare and motivate the team. They often come out flat. Only the team seems to be able to turn itself around. In that same vein, we often notice a lack of urgency because Reid doesn't DEMAND it.

2. He makes poor, amateurish coaching decisions and mistakes at times...or at least lets them happen.

3. He doesn't show loyalty consistently. Take McNabb vs. Trotter. Trotter slows down a bit and he gets the boot despite being a morale leader. McNabb, Mr. Captain of the Ship (TM) makes rookie mistakes, but unquestionably stays on board (not that he should go...I'm just saying).

As for the loss and the team this year:

1. McNabb is not throwing well. His running is improving, but he's still not confident.
2. The defense has been soft. Missed tackles, lack of big plays, etc.
3. The offense has been soft. Where is that explosiveness we had? Consistency was always a problem, but now the big plays seen to be gone too.
4. Kickoff and return teams are a joke.
5. McNabb, with Reid, has created too much of a laid back atmosphere and thinks too much about his team and not enough about his own play. He's always talking about he needs to get the team back to such and such a point and how he is going to lead. Dude, just shut up and play. You'd play better and more success. And let's fact it Donny...you're not the head coach. Your job is to execute, which you are not doing. Lead more by example.

Also, I don't see any goal setting. One thing the oft criticized T.O. brought was that sentiment that "We won't be happy until we win the Super Bowl." I don't want to hear how "this is super bowl team" and "well it's a long season and were gonna go make some plays <insert dumb grin> and maybe this, maybe that...blah, blah. Set the goal and work like bitches until you reach it. I don't want to hear about how much "fun" football is. You all need to have your asses kicked a bit since my $200 tickets are paying your gazillion dollar salaries. Fuckers. Win or go home.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #76 of 287
PHI: D. McNabb 21-26, 381 yds, 4 TDs



I'd love to see similar numbers the rest of the year!

You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
post #77 of 287
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

PHI: D. McNabb 21-26, 381 yds, 4 TDs



I'd love to see similar numbers the rest of the year!



Dude...what a fucking game! Biggest point total for the Eagles since the 50s. 56-21. I just don't get this team. What was it, the uniforms? McNabb looked like his old self, Westbrook was great...the D played well against a hot offense. And, all this without Dawkins or Sheppard.

I guess we just wait and see at this point. This is the team I thought they had from the start. Time will tell.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #78 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

...I just don't get this team. What was it, the uniforms?...

No, they played the Lions. Detroit is no powerhouse. In fact, their defense is ranked at the bottom of the NFL.

While McNabb and the Eagles looked sharp, lets see how they do against a team that is actually good.
post #79 of 287
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake View Post

No, they played the Lions. Detroit is no powerhouse. In fact, their defense is ranked at the bottom of the NFL.

While McNabb and the Eagles looked sharp, lets see how they do against a team that is actually good.

Uh, the Lions were 2-0 and are NOT the team they were in the last....uh, 20 years. They are a decent team. Fine, they're not the Patriots. But they're decent. It was a quality win.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #80 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Uh, the Lions were 2-0 and are NOT the team they were in the last....uh, 20 years. They are a decent team. Fine, they're not the Patriots. But they're decent. It was a quality win.

Yeah, they beat the Raiders and the Vikings - both crap teams.

Detroit's defense is ranked at the bottom of the league:


Look, a win is a win in my book, no matter how ugly.
Today, the Eagles shined. I'm just saying that this was not a true test of who the Eagles are.
This one was easy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Well, it's time: E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!