or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › A True Desktop Class Mac, or another Cube?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A True Desktop Class Mac, or another Cube? - Page 16

Poll Results: Cube or Desktop.

This is a multiple choice poll
  • 35% (44)
    CUBE
  • 58% (72)
    True Desktop
  • 6% (8)
    Something I'll explain.
124 Total Votes  
post #601 of 647
Quote:
3 additional USB 2.0 ports including 2 on the side for easy access, a card reader, and a TV tuner. What I would give to have any of those things on my iMac.

So..... you would trade 24-inch 1920 x 1200 display, 2.8 Core Duo, ATI Radeon HD 2600, firewire 800, optical audio, 1TB HDD, and OS X for 3 additional USB 2 ports, a card reader, and a TV tuner?

Quote:
They also see something in having form factors as well rather than forcing you to buy an all in one whether you want one or not.

Looking at their quarterly profits that looks like a winning strategy. If I were to place a bet my money would say looking at their quarterly profits is the reason why they are all offering an AIO.
post #602 of 647
I think you're counting your chickens before they have hatched. They have tried this before. They have failed. When they have a significant boost in sales, then we can revisit if it was a smart decision or not. I place my bets on... not bringing in the profits they hoped for.

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #603 of 647
I didn't say I think the AIO strategy will work. I just said they are grasping for anything that will make them money.

The major flaw in Dell and Gateways' plan. Is that Apple educates and cultivates a culture around the iMac. They teach people the convenience of having an AIO. People I know with iMac's understand and appreciate the fact that their computer does not take up much space or is cluttered with lots of wires.

If I were a consumer who has never used an AIO, looking at Dell's website I don't see any particular reason why I would buy the XPS One over a tower. But chances are more likely I'd be looking at laptops than desktops in the first place.
post #604 of 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

So..... you would trade 24-inch 1920 x 1200 display, 2.8 Core Duo, ATI Radeon HD 2600, firewire 800, optical audio, 1TB HDD, and OS X for 3 additional USB 2 ports, a card reader, and a TV tuner?

Who said anything about trading features? I'm talking about adding features to make a good low to mid end multimedia machine even better. If Dell is smart enough to find places to put features consumes actually use, so can Apple.

As for the 2.8ghz iMac, i find it to be a waste. The lower mid range GPU and lack of RAM hold back the larger display and faster CPU.

Quote:
Looking at their quarterly profits that looks like a winning strategy. If I were to place a bet my money would say looking at their quarterly profits is the reason why they are all offering an AIO.

The quarterly profits are from iPods and Laptops. They, unlike the iMac, offer exactly what is expected by the user.
post #605 of 647
Quote:
I'm talking about adding features to make a good low to mid end multimedia machine even better. If Dell is smart enough to find places to put features consumes actually use, so can Apple.

The XPS One has one more USB port than the iMac. Most everyone I know plugs their digital camera directly into the computer. I only know of people who take photography seriously as those that use card readers. Seeing as the use of computers as entertainment centers is a market that is not on fire. There aren't very many people demanding video I/O ports built into the computer.

Quote:
As for the 2.8ghz iMac, i find it to be a waste. The lower mid range GPU and lack of RAM hold back the larger display and faster CPU.

I'm not sure what you are talking about here. The GPU slowing down the CPU? The lack of RAM?

Quote:
The quarterly profits are from iPods and Laptops. They, unlike the iMac, offer exactly what is expected by the user.

Apple's desktop sales were up this past quarter. Getting out of this thread you will see there is far less dissatisfaction with the iMac than of that in this thread.
post #606 of 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I'm not sure what you are talking about here. The GPU slowing down the CPU? The lack of RAM?

He means holding it back to it's full potential. IE the bottleneck in applications that use GPU and RAM are bottlenecked at the GPU and RAM points instead of the CPU... more so than desktops and workstations.

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #607 of 647
Ah Ok I see. I agree Apple could certainly improve the GPU. There are going to be some shortcoming in comparison to a full desktop or workstation. But you guys bias all of your emphasis on the negatives and ignore any of the positives.

You also ignore the obvious as it happens right in front of you. Gateway and Dell introducing new AIO clearly shows Apple is doing something right.
post #608 of 647
Quote:
You also ignore the obvious as it happens right in front of you. Gateway and Dell introducing new AIO clearly shows Apple is doing something right.

I still disagree. Apple has the ability to force consumers (a small amount) into certain classes of computers. If all Apple made was a iMac, people who needed desktops would buy it. Not because it's an AIO but because it's a desktop and has OS X. The two things they want. PC manufacturers have tried multiple times over the years to release AIOs and have failed each and every time to turn enough of a profit to keep them around.

The only way I will be convinced if that apple is doing something right, is if the AIO from Gateway and Dell outsell the towers. It's not going to happen... if it does you can rub it in all you want Teno .

Time will tell if "Apple is doing something right". The only true test is if Apple offered a Desktop mac in a competitive price range to the iMac, and we witnessed which one out sold the other. Which one turned a higher profit. Which one consumers were more satisfied with. Until that day comes there will always be a question of which is better. I personally feel that SJ & Co knows this and are afraid for the AIO's life. Think about it, if they released a mid-tower and it slaughtered the iMac in sales.. they would have no choice but to either kill the iMac or completely revamp it. Which could mean the death of Apple's AIO... that's a long legacy for the company they probably don't want to kill.

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #609 of 647
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

.............Gateway and Dell introducing new AIO clearly shows Apple is doing something right.

Gateway and DELL both had a flat panel AIO before Apple. Don't kid your self.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #610 of 647
Quote:
The only way I will be convinced if that apple is doing something right, is if the AIO from Gateway and Dell outsell the towers. It's not going to happen... if it does you can rub it in all you want Teno

An AIO is really all the far majority of the consumer market really needs. The overwhelming majority of people don't need a tower - will never open it or add any parts to it. People are used to buying towers and don't have a full understanding of why an AIO more than meets their needs. Most people don't need nor want a tower and a separate monitor this is why notebooks are outselling desktops.

An AIO somewhat meets the advantages of a notebook and tower. The AIO takes up much less space than a tower, there are far fewer parts, and less wires to run between components. The AIO uses a full size desktop keyboard, a separate mouse, a larger screen.

Dell and Gateway may not sell very many AIO because they are not actively educating their customers on these advantages. Apple does educate its customers on these advantages.



I don't see how Dell or Gateway sales reflect if Apple is making the right moves. Apple's sales reflect that Apple is making the right moves. I do think that Apple's sales have influenced Dell and Gateway to continue making AIO.

Quote:
Gateway and DELL both had a flat panel AIO before Apple. Don't kid your self.

I know that. And they historically have not sold well. Which is what makes it so interesting that they continue to develop new AIO. Dell and Gateway are doing this because they believe AIO will sell, they are not doing it to be contrary to people in this thread.
post #611 of 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

An AIO is really all the far majority of the consumer market really needs. The overwhelming majority of people don't need a tower - will never open it or add any parts to it. People are used to buying towers and don't have a full understanding of why an AIO more than meets their needs. Most people don't need nor want a tower and a separate monitor this is why notebooks are outselling desktops.

An AIO somewhat meets the advantages of a notebook and tower. The AIO takes up much less space than a tower, there are far fewer parts, and less wires to run between components. The AIO uses a full size desktop keyboard, a separate mouse, a larger screen.

Dell and Gateway may not sell very many AIO because they are not actively educating their customers on these advantages. Apple does educate its customers on these advantages.

I don't see how Dell or Gateway sales reflect if Apple is making the right moves. Apple's sales reflect that Apple is making the right moves. I do think that Apple's sales have influenced Dell and Gateway to continue making AIO.



I know that. And they historically have not sold well. Which is what makes it so interesting that they continue to develop new AIO. Dell and Gateway are doing this because they believe AIO will sell, they are not doing it to be contrary to people in this thread.

We don't buy iMac because we're educated on their advantages, in fact from owning towers and all in ones before I'm very educated on their disadvantages. I bought it because they left me with no other choice. For novices like my parents the iMac is a great machine. for those with higher needs but not up to say making your own feature length movie, the Machine is very limiting.
post #612 of 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post


That only stays true if you're happy with the slow 8x notebook burner, lack of a backup hard drive no TV tuner, and devices limited to your keyboard, printer, and iPod. About what a teenager would have. In the world other than steve Jobs propaganda, there would be an iMac with an army of extern devices cluttering your desk and power strip and then a nice clean desk with just a monitor with the tower tucked underneath the desk with all its cables out of sight.
post #613 of 647
Quote:
In the world other than steve Jobs propaganda, there would be an iMac with an army of extern devices cluttering your desk and power strip and then a nice clean desk with just a monitor with the tower tucked underneath the desk with all its cables out of sight.

I don't think this is a problem specific to the iMac. Generally it seems people have their external devices on the desk or on some type of office furniture next to the desk that offers easy access. People generally want external burners, portable drives and printers in a place that is easy to get to.

Jobs RDF is not selling more notebooks than desktops as far as external devices its the same situation.
post #614 of 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post


Ben covered the rest of the stuff I was gonna say so I'm going to focus on tearing this image apart. Instead... because it is clearly exaggerated.

First off, the picture on the right is a bunch of lies. There should only be 2 extra cords on the Dell vs the iMac... DVI connection and LCD Power. There are actually more than those 2. They added a card reader that sits on top of the tower (is there a card reader in the iMac??? No.). I don't know about you guys, but when I set my towers up.. I zip-tie all my cords. I make them all neat and pretty . On top of that my hackintosh sits in a desk cubby hole. You can't even see ANY cords unless you crawl underneath the desk and look behind it. Actually i lied, you can see my remote off of my speakers on top of my desk. Even the wires to the satellite speakers on my desk are cleverly hidden. Most people don't have a tower on top of the desk. Therefor the wires are out of the way. Your mileage may vary.

If anything, my MBP actually shows off my cords. 2 usb connections, Power adapter, External DVI to LCD, Ethernet, and firewire. My mbp causes more clutter on my desk than my hackintosh because it is an AIO that sits on my desk and the cords HAVE to go to my desk to get there. It looks like it has 6 tentacles coming off of it.

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #615 of 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I'm not sure what you are talking about here. The GPU slowing down the CPU? The lack of RAM?

Because in his world 4GB is too little RAM to do any "real" work and you need an uber GPU to satisfy a "prosumer".
post #616 of 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Because in his world 4GB is too little RAM to do any "real" work and you need an uber GPU to satisfy a "prosumer".

??? I don't think he was referring to the amount, but was referring to the speed. There is a pretty significant difference between so-dimm and dimm.

Also... GPU wise, we should have better options than a 128bit card that BARELY runs 3d games and gets horrible ratings in cinebench. Obviously they can't put a better one in because of confined area and power requirements... WHICH IS ANOTHER REASON FOR A DESKTOP MAC!!!

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #617 of 647
It's a free country. Why doesn't someone Photoshop a side by side image of what it should really look like, pointing out the costs and features of each?

And then do the same for the MacBook Pro, which I agree makes a mess on a desk and has no Apple docking station to clean up the clutter.

I love Macs, but I'm all for keeping Apple honest and challenged.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #618 of 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I don't think this is a problem specific to the iMac. Generally it seems people have their external devices on the desk or on some type of office furniture next to the desk that offers easy access. People generally want external burners, portable drives and printers in a place that is easy to get to.

Jobs RDF is not selling more notebooks than desktops as far as external devices its the same situation.

People don't want external devices, they're more expensive and less reliable. They want those things internal is in the size the case. Apple won't give you that option for under $2200.
post #619 of 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

??? I don't think he was referring to the amount, but was referring to the speed. There is a pretty significant difference between so-dimm and dimm.

Also... GPU wise, we should have better options than a 128bit card that BARELY runs 3d games and gets horrible ratings in cinebench. Obviously they can't put a better one in because of confined area and power requirements... WHICH IS ANOTHER REASON FOR A DESKTOP MAC!!!

I was referring to amount and flexibility. With the iMac I have to carefully what I do with my RAM. I can't add another 1GB then add a 2x1GB set for 4GB later on the iMac. When I upgrade the RAM (and believe me this things needs a RAM upgrade) I really have to decide if 2GB can last me of if I should may the huge fee required for Max RAM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Ben covered the rest of the stuff I was gonna say so I'm going to focus on tearing this image apart. Instead... because it is clearly exaggerated.

First off, the picture on the right is a bunch of lies. There should only be 2 extra cords on the Dell vs the iMac... DVI connection and LCD Power. There are actually more than those 2. They added a card reader that sits on top of the tower (is there a card reader in the iMac??? No.). I don't know about you guys, but when I set my towers up.. I zip-tie all my cords. I make them all neat and pretty . On top of that my hackintosh sits in a desk cubby hole. You can't even see ANY cords unless you crawl underneath the desk and look behind it. Actually i lied, you can see my remote off of my speakers on top of my desk. Even the wires to the satellite speakers on my desk are cleverly hidden. Most people don't have a tower on top of the desk. Therefor the wires are out of the way. Your mileage may vary.

If anything, my MBP actually shows off my cords. 2 usb connections, Power adapter, External DVI to LCD, Ethernet, and firewire. My mbp causes more clutter on my desk than my hackintosh because it is an AIO that sits on my desk and the cords HAVE to go to my desk to get there. It looks like it has 6 tentacles coming off of it.

Very true, but one small nitpick, that thing on top is actually the IR box for the remote not a card reader.
post #620 of 647
Well I would love to own a cheaper MacPro (So called the Cube), well what I meant by cheaper is that its hardware should be better then the iMac but not as good as a MacPro and maybe smaller size instead of the MacPro size.

I belive Apple wont make a upgradeable desktop cause I think its easier for them to take of stuffs when something goes wrong.
Apple is a hardware company, dont believe me? Read this Article!. For those who understand my message, help me spread this info to those who dont get it.
Reply
Apple is a hardware company, dont believe me? Read this Article!. For those who understand my message, help me spread this info to those who dont get it.
Reply
post #621 of 647
Quote:
Ben covered the rest of the stuff I was gonna say so I'm going to focus on tearing this image apart. Instead... because it is clearly exaggerated.

It looks to me as if the idea is to outfit the XPS with the same hardware as the iMac. On top of the monitor is a webcam, there is a device under the monitor, and another device on top of the tower. One of them is likely an IR receiver. I'm sure they are using the most and longest cords they possibly could. But it still illustrates my point that Apple is marketing the advantage of an AIO.

Quote:
If anything, my MBP actually shows off my cords. 2 usb connections, Power adapter, External DVI to LCD, Ethernet, and firewire. My mbp causes more clutter on my desk than my hackintosh because it is an AIO that sits on my desk and the cords HAVE to go to my desk to get there.

You are right a notebook can be a mess of cords so can an iMac. The iMac begins with minimal cords or none with bluetooth. And you don't have to have any cords at all plugged into a notebook to use it. You can pick up cord free carry it around it is all self contained. The external devices do add functionality and add cord clutter, but overall they are not required to use the computer. Which is not the case with a tower.

Quote:
People don't want external devices, they're more expensive and less reliable. They want those things internal is in the size the case. Apple won't give you that option for under $2200.

I could show you dozens of pictures of people I know with external devices plugged into their Power Macs. External devices are a billion dollar industry.
post #622 of 647
Quote:
Also... GPU wise, we should have better options than a 128bit card that BARELY runs 3d games and gets horrible ratings in cinebench. Obviously they can't put a better one in because of confined area and power requirements... WHICH IS ANOTHER REASON FOR A DESKTOP MAC!!!

Yeh. When the 'slim' factor limits your choice of desktop components...then is it really anything more than a laptop masquerading as a desktop?

Given that: Apple doesn't have a desktop machine that can meet the needs for 'PC' gamers/3D folks/people who need that 3D power that a quad and a decent GPU could offer. And, coff, you could argue that the Mac Pro is losing ground in that context and it is supposed to be a workstation.

*Shakes head.

Lemon Bon Bon.

Still waiting to be included in Apple's target markets, I guess.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #623 of 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Yeh. When the 'slim' factor limits your choice of desktop components...then is it really anything more than a laptop masquerading as a desktop?

Given that: Apple doesn't have a desktop machine that can meet the needs for 'PC' gamers/3D folks/people who need that 3D power that a quad and a decent GPU could offer. And, coff, you could argue that the Mac Pro is losing ground in that context and it is supposed to be a workstation.

*Shakes head.

Lemon Bon Bon.

Still waiting to be included in Apple's target markets, I guess.

To be honest, I classify all in ones as a completely different type of computer than desktops.
post #624 of 647
Arguing the benefits/disadvantages of AIOs does not negate the advantages/disadvantages of a tower. I don't think anyone arguing for a mid to upper end consumer tower from Apple is arguing that Apple drop the iMac or for that matter the Mac mini.
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
Reply
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
Reply
post #625 of 647
Speaking of the Mac Mini being dropped... what happened to all those rumors?

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #626 of 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Speaking of the Mac Mini being dropped... what happened to all those rumors?

You just started new one!
2009 Quad 2.66 Mac Pro, 12 GB OWC RAM, ATI 4870, Wi-Fi Card 802.11n, AppleCare, 4 WD Caviar Black 1TB HD's, 2 SuperDrives, 24" Apple LED Display.
Reply
2009 Quad 2.66 Mac Pro, 12 GB OWC RAM, ATI 4870, Wi-Fi Card 802.11n, AppleCare, 4 WD Caviar Black 1TB HD's, 2 SuperDrives, 24" Apple LED Display.
Reply
post #627 of 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickag View Post

Arguing the benefits/disadvantages of AIOs does not negate the advantages/disadvantages of a tower. I don't think anyone arguing for a mid to upper end consumer tower from Apple is arguing that Apple drop the iMac or for that matter the Mac mini.

Agreed. They're too completely different machines for two completely different sets of users. The whole "The iMac is going to work for you because it works for me/ Apple says so" argument shows a complete lack of understanding of other needs or worse.
post #628 of 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Speaking of the Mac Mini being dropped... what happened to all those rumors?

It got updated.
post #629 of 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

It got updated.

with a very small cpu bump that you could of done on your own.
post #630 of 647
I knew that much, but was wondering if they were still considering EOL it.

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #631 of 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Speaking of the Mac Mini being dropped... what happened to all those rumors?

It's a trick - Apple always want you to be thinking the opposite of what they will actually do. I suspect what's going to happen is that the iMac gets dropped, after all it's the only product out of place in the lineup.

You have the low-end laptop and high-end laptop.
You have the low end tower (mini) and high end tower (Mac Pro).

By introducing an ultra-portable gives 3 laptop models and the current Macbook may become the mid-range so there needs to be a mid-range tower to match the line-up. The iMac is then all alone in the cold and nobody will buy it.

The iMac was just a gimmick to win people back to the platform. Now that people are here, they don't need it any more.

Yeah let's circulate that rumor and take the heat off the poor Mini, which has really been one of Apple's best computer models ever made. If they had put an X1600 in it and a 7200 rpm drive, it would have been close to a perfect consumer desktop.

They could have even had a little slot at the bottom of the Cinema displays for it and packaged the two together. Mac Mini + Cinema display = £800, low end iMac = £800.



It even has the drive slot at the front so it's easy to push discs in.

If it breaks, all you have to do is lift off the Mini at the bottom and carry that back to the store.
post #632 of 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

..........

Yeah let's circulate that rumor and take the heat off the poor Mini, which has really been one of Apple's best computer models ever made. If they had put an X1600 in it and a 7200 rpm drive, it would have been close to a perfect consumer desktop.
........................
.


Not disagreeing with you, but when you say the Mac mini "has really been one of Apple's best computer models ever made"; then can you give more details. Like "Best" in what or how?
2009 Quad 2.66 Mac Pro, 12 GB OWC RAM, ATI 4870, Wi-Fi Card 802.11n, AppleCare, 4 WD Caviar Black 1TB HD's, 2 SuperDrives, 24" Apple LED Display.
Reply
2009 Quad 2.66 Mac Pro, 12 GB OWC RAM, ATI 4870, Wi-Fi Card 802.11n, AppleCare, 4 WD Caviar Black 1TB HD's, 2 SuperDrives, 24" Apple LED Display.
Reply
post #633 of 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Not disagreeing with you, but when you say the Mac mini "has really been one of Apple's best computer models ever made"; then can you give more details. Like "Best" in what or how?

It's small (one of the smallest desktop computers in the world), it's cheap, the processors are powerful (almost the same as the iMac), it's quiet and it's still a headless machine. I think the Mac Mini is the most forward thinking designs because in the future, I see computers becoming modules that you can switch from one display to another. You just have a small removable component containing CPU, GPU, Ram, Hard drive and slot this into a display with mains power for your desktop. Slot it into a tablet for your portable machine where there would be a battery.

Schools could just have banks of displays and students take their own modules in.

There will likely be incompatibility due to manufacturer lock-in unfortunately but headless is the way forward not AIO.

The Mini is also not flawed, just artificially crippled. the iMac is crippled by the very nature of an AIO.
post #634 of 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It's small (one of the smallest desktop computers in the world), it's cheap, the processors are powerful (almost the same as the iMac), it's quiet and it's still a headless machine. I think the Mac Mini is the most forward thinking designs because in the future, I see computers becoming modules that you can switch from one display to another. You just have a small removable component containing CPU, GPU, Ram, Hard drive and slot this into a display with mains power for your desktop. Slot it into a tablet for your portable machine where there would be a battery.

Schools could just have banks of displays and students take their own modules in.

There will likely be incompatibility due to manufacturer lock-in unfortunately but headless is the way forward not AIO.

The Mini is also not flawed, just artificially crippled. the iMac is crippled by the very nature of an AIO.

The only real value the Mini has is its size, and the fact that it runs OSX - it terms of actually hardware, it's poor, as it uses slower laptop parts, a non-standard ITX-like board, and charges a silly premium for BTO options, not to mention updating the Intel Mini's are a pain, you basically have to dismantle the entire unit, down to the mobo to replace the RAM.

Apple should either update the Mini with a decent lower-end GPU, or drop the price to $400/500. I guess I could see the value in packaging OSX+iLife, but I think they could still do better.

As a Windows user that bounced from getting a Macbook back in the summer to a Mini (or will in a few weeks), I would be much happier if Apple did nothing other than to allow OSX to run on a standard PC box, allow updates, but outside of that, you're on your own - like running Linux, but with better commercial application support.

Although, when I do buy my Mini, I'll be getting a free copy of iWorks '08, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.
post #635 of 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post

Although, when I do buy my Mini, I'll be getting a free copy of iWorks '08, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

How are you getting a free copy of iWorks? Let us in on the secret.
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #636 of 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

How are you getting a free copy of iWorks? Let us in on the secret.

I work in the IT dept at my university, and we mainly support Windows, as well as Macs (most of the team heads within the different teams in IT use MBP's BTW, and use a VM), and how it sorted out, was that they ordered a copy of iWorks for testing, and thought it got lost, and Apple sent another copy, while the orginal showed up, and Apple just said to keep it, and my bosses were like since you like working on the Macs, you can have it.

I figure it has to be better than Office 2004, but I do like 2007 a lot on Vista.

As for other things I've noticed, Leopard upgrades haven't been total smooth sailing, even Parallels doesn't work quite right on a clean install of Leopard on my boss' MBP, but I will probably end up using Fusion or Virtual Box instead. Not sure why she wants Ultimate over Enterprise, other not having to activate with the KMS, but whatever.
post #637 of 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post

The only real value the Mini has is its size, and the fact that it runs OSX - it terms of actually hardware, it's poor, as it uses slower laptop parts, a non-standard ITX-like board, and charges a silly premium for BTO options, not to mention updating the Intel Mini's are a pain, you basically have to dismantle the entire unit, down to the mobo to replace the RAM.

..................

IMO the mini is the easiest comp I've ever upgraded and the easiest to work with, plus eveything but the GPU and Mobo are upgradable.

It took me 10 minutes to take the mini apart, put a pair of 1GB mem's in there and put it back together. Taking pictures along the way too

And, you only need to take five screws out to completely take everything out of the mini's case. (I did it )
Mac Mini 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM, 80GB HD+160GB External HD
Running Mac OS 10.5 Leopard


Upgrade Your Mini Yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2

All wrong. Avon perfumes...
Reply
Mac Mini 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM, 80GB HD+160GB External HD
Running Mac OS 10.5 Leopard


Upgrade Your Mini Yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2

All wrong. Avon perfumes...
Reply
post #638 of 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post

I work in the IT dept at my university, and we mainly support Windows, as well as Macs (most of the team heads within the different teams in IT use MBP's BTW, and use a VM), and how it sorted out, was that they ordered a copy of iWorks for testing, and thought it got lost, and Apple sent another copy, while the orginal showed up, and Apple just said to keep it, and my bosses were like since you like working on the Macs, you can have it. I.

Nice. Good for you. Has anyone in your IT dept. tried Crossover? I know it's not a full-featured app but then, you don't need to install Windows to use it.

BTW, I ran across this blurb in one of ZDNet's (Mary Jo Foley's byline) columns:
The happiest Vista customers: Mac users?

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=982
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #639 of 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

...........

BTW, I ran across this blurb in one of ZDNet's (Mary Jo Foley's byline) columns:
The happiest Vista customers: Mac users?

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=982

I totally agree that the happiest Vista customers are Mac users, I'm one of them
I installed Vista in under half and hour and had the internet, sound and everything working with ease. I installed it for two reasons:

*I wanted to play Halo on my Mac
*I wanted to learn Vista (I'm an I.T. guy)

I enjoy Vista, but... Nothing beats an Apple.
Mac Mini 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM, 80GB HD+160GB External HD
Running Mac OS 10.5 Leopard


Upgrade Your Mini Yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2

All wrong. Avon perfumes...
Reply
Mac Mini 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM, 80GB HD+160GB External HD
Running Mac OS 10.5 Leopard


Upgrade Your Mini Yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2

All wrong. Avon perfumes...
Reply
post #640 of 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by smee View Post

I totally agree that the happiest Vista customers are Mac users, I'm one of them
I installed Vista in under half and hour and had the internet, sound and everything working with ease. I installed it for two reasons:

*I wanted to play Halo on my Mac
*I wanted to learn Vista (I'm an I.T. guy)

I enjoy Vista, but... Nothing beats an Apple.

On the other hand - I just posted this under Applications:

After Upgrades, Vista Eats XP's Dust

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/A...ust-60491.html
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › A True Desktop Class Mac, or another Cube?