or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Third Apple retail store burglarized this month

Third Apple retail store burglarized this month

post #1 of 61
Burglars smashed the front window of the Apple Inc.'s Saddle Creek retail store in Memphis, Tenn. Tuesday morning, making off with $25,000 worth of goods in less than a minute flat.

The break-in was the third at an Apple retail store and fourth at an Apple facility this month, underscoring a brewing problem for the Cupertino-based company as it prepares to stock its retail outlets with millions of dollars in additional merchandise ahead of the holiday shopping season.

ifoAppleStore reports that crooks smashed their way into the Saddle Creek Apple store at 4:22 a.m. Tuesday morning and within 60 seconds had stolen $25,000 worth of merchandise, including 10 iPhones, one iMac and six MacBook laptops.

Police said the break-in triggered an alarm and an officer arrived less than a minute later, but the suspects had already fled. Some fixtures and two digital cameras were reportedly damaged in the burglars' haste.

An investigation is currently underway to determine whether the crime is related to several other break-ins at a nearby chain of Patton Comptuers & Electronics stores earlier this summer. Those burglaries prompted the retail chain to post videos of the crimes.

Earlier this month, Apple's University Village retail store in Seattle, Wash. was hit by thieves, as was its Country Club location in Kansas City, Mo. Two former Apple employees were also detained on Sunday for a thwarted burglary attempt at the company's Elk Grove facility in Calif.
post #2 of 61
How will this affect the sales projections? Quick, let's get Munster on the line!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #3 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

An investigating is currently underway...

Don't you mean investigation?

-=|Mgkwho
post #4 of 61
imagine if they made-off with "to be released" merchandise such as the new iPods, that would ruin SJ day
post #5 of 61
So why doesn't Apple release the security videos so we can identify the perps?
post #6 of 61
bastards.
post #7 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkwho View Post

Don't you mean investigation?

-=|Mgkwho

Thanks for clearing that up. It was impossible to tell what they meant in that context.

Maybe in the future you should send your corrections directly to a Mod.? Unless, of course, you like the attention.
post #8 of 61
You'd think Apple would have security cameras in place. Even for operating hours as theft will surely happen then too.

I wonder how much more it would cost to get polycarbonate-laminated glass on their store fronts that aren't located in malls?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #9 of 61
If they got a legit job, they probably wouldn't have to get up so early in the morning.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #10 of 61
I blame terrorists...
post #11 of 61
Isn't all that exciting?
Those movies need a decent soundtrack...
post #12 of 61
People who live in glass retail stores shouldn't keep valuable merchandise.
post #13 of 61
Talk about your "locked" versus "unlocked" argument!

Apple should put in motion sensors that when activated trigger a barricading type product over all front window displays, exit doors and windows, trapping intruder like a mouse! er rat!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #14 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Talk about your "locked" versus "unlocked" argument!

Apple should put in motion sensors that when activated trigger a barricading type product over all front window displays, exit doors and windows, trapping intruder like a mouse! er rat!

iCage ?
MacTrap
MacTrap Pro for flagship stores...

post #15 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychodoughboy View Post

People who live in glass retail stores shouldn't keep valuable merchandise.

Or . . . if they must . . . they should record the serial numbers of the merchandise, and
when it is stolen and the thieves sell the stuff on eBay later, they can be easily found.
Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know; the rest is propaganda.
-Horacio Verbitsky (el perro), journalist (b. 1942)
Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know; the rest is propaganda.
-Horacio Verbitsky (el perro), journalist (b. 1942)
post #16 of 61
Is this Appleinsider or ApplePoliceBlotter?
post #17 of 61
Or they could give me a glock and hire me as their night watchman.
Seriously, I'm surprised they don't have security guards at night.
post #18 of 61
including 10 iPhones

Presumably Apple has the serial numbers of the ten stolen iPhones and the thieves will never be able to activate them.
post #19 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebuoy View Post

including 10 iPhones

Presumably Apple has the serial numbers of the ten stolen iPhones and the thieves will never be able to activate them.

they could set them free or whatever you call it.
post #20 of 61
Burglarized? Is that really a word you Americans use? Marvellous
post #21 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

I blame terrorists...

I blame windows users.

Seriously, they should have waited until Sept 4, then they might have been able to steal the new iPods.
post #22 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_kola View Post

My american friends use this word frequently. I love it.
post #23 of 61
This is Apple's new method for clearing inventory before a major product release. Obviously the iPhone v.2 is coming out next month.
post #24 of 61
I know they're fond of glass and everything, but they should use a fence curtain during the night.
post #25 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

I know they're fond of glass and everything, but they should use a fence curtain during the night.

A "fence curtain" is that what they call it where ever the hell you are from? <sarcasm>
post #26 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Burglars smashed the front window of the Apple Inc.'s Saddle Creek retail store in Memphis, Tenn. Tuesday morning, making off with $25,000 worth of goods in less than a minute flat.

Police said the break-in triggered an alarm and an officer arrived less than a minute later, but the suspects had already fled.

I doubt the store had anything like this on the windows. Simple, inexpensive, and would probably have been pretty effective here.
post #27 of 61
Suprised the AI NRA lobby group didn't pick up on this thread... :-).

iGun anyone..?
post #28 of 61
Anyone seen that show, it takes a thief, where they break into the house, then make it secure?

Well, one episode they showed using a film to make the window stand up to direct hits with a baseball bat and golf club. Why doesn't apple install that, it can't cost too much...
post #29 of 61
You better tell your kids to keep their iPods close to home and out of sight. Got my car broken into after leaving my iPod in sight in the car. I know, a very stupid move on my part, but never the less, Apple products are HOT, pun intended!
post #30 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_kola View Post

Sorry, dumb American here, but whats the joke? Does that mean buggerized or something in Britain?
post #31 of 61
The security film work great and has been around for years.

If the store has street access then they also need steel posts sunk 6 feet into the ground. The Microcenter store near me has some crash through the front windows with a vehicle several years ago. Set the place on fire with almost a mil in damages. They got the store back on line within 5 days but one of the first things that went in were those steel posts. No one has ever got in since.
post #32 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmedia1 View Post

Sorry, dumb American here, but whats the joke? Does that mean buggerized or something in Britain?

Over here you would say that you were burgled rather than burglarized.
post #33 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by britwithgoodteeth View Post

Thanks for clearing that up. It was impossible to tell what they meant in that context.

Maybe in the future you should send your corrections directly to a Mod.? Unless, of course, you like the attention.

Grammar mistakes get to me too. A simple re-read should catch that.

You sir, need to calm down.
post #34 of 61
Junk yard dogs would aid security. I hope these guys didn't get hurt smashing the window. They might sue Apple.
Cubist
Cubist
post #35 of 61
My personal favorite from that side of the pond is one can get "nicked" for "disturbing the Queen's peace"
post #36 of 61
Hey, I found this blog... it said the new ipods were coming with an iphone stereo headset with the button. is it legit?

http://www.themacfan.com/The_Mac_Fan...d_control.html \
post #37 of 61
Yawn - Well just another slow day in the news department. It is going to be hard waiting
for Sep 5th
ipod.rules
ipod.rules
post #38 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookleft View Post

You sir, need to calm down.

Nah, he's too proud of his good teeth......
post #39 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerDigby View Post

Suprised the AI NRA lobby group didn't pick up on this thread... :-).
iGun anyone..?

Anyone caught stealing from Apple will be subjected for 3 days to a clockwork-orange style punishment. In this case they would have to use a totally virus and spyware-infected Vista Home Basic on a Celeron with 256mb of RAM. Every 3 seconds a "Allow or Deny" dialog box will popup and they have to click it within 0.5 seconds to avoid getting painfully zapped by electricity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmedia1 View Post

Heh. Umm... buggerized means a whole 'nother thing in many parts of the world including Britain. Maybe that was your joke...
post #40 of 61
All my macs are equipped with 'Under Cover" by http://www.orbicule.com. If anyone steals one of my Macs I call Orbicule and they start the system as soon as a Mac connect to the internet. Then it talks to the guys at Orbicule and reports where it is. It also send video snap shots to them from built in camera and can also slowly dim the screen until it seems to need a repair. Once at a repair facility the Mac screams "I am Stolen". This is a very inexpensive system and Apple might want think about shipping all Macs pre-installed and hey why not an iPhone version? lol

This is the message you get once installed ...

Dear customer,
You have successfully set up and registered Undercover. The fact that you are getting this e-mail means that Undercover is running properly on your computer. From now on, it will continuously monitor your Mac.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Third Apple retail store burglarized this month