or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple unveils iPod touch and iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store

Apple unveils iPod touch and iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store - Page 6

post #201 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What's the problem?

I'm pretty sure that WiFi at Starbucks is free now. It just requires that you log in. with iTunes, you won't have to do that. Also, Apple's deal seems to be an exclusive one to buy Starbucks music from iTunes (so it seems).

How many times do people have to tell you it's not free?

post #202 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by parky View Post

I have a music library of over 55GB, but I am more than happy with a 16GB iPod touch.

I just have some smart playlists that manage my music for me. They work great on my iPod nano 4Gb, so they will be even better and will let me set up more with 16GB.

I have the following set up :-

1GB of the most recently added tracks to iTunes, that way I always have my recent purchases as they are usually something I want to listen to.

2GB of my favorite tracks (4 stars or above), that have not been played in the last 6 months, the playlist also selects the tracks based on those which have the lowest play count.

1GB of manually selected music that is 'hot' with me at the moment.

What I will probably do is set up a few favorites playlist as above, but limit each to a different Genre. That way I will always have some favorites of each Genre that I really like (Musicals, Pop, Easy Listening)

I will have a Video playlist of course, they are easy to deal with as the content is much less in number.

Have a few photo albums on there and I'm all set!

I still have my 60GB iPod photos if I really feel I need to take all my music with me somewhere like a party or a 2 week vacation.

Ian

That's quite a plan!
post #203 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

What are you talking about?

I have a Sony Ericsson K750i and I can put any MP3s I want on to it and I can nominate any MP3 as my ring tone - I don't have to pay anyone anything extra.

Old Man Mel must be going senile -- I can do the same thing with my Razor.
post #204 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingbrook View Post

iTunes 7.4? Where? No sign of it anywhere.

I was wondering the same thing......
post #205 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Sure. Faucet/tap, pavement/road, sidewalk/pavement, color/colour, etc. etc., these are all understandable. But removing a word from a phrase so that the words mean the inverse of what you actually mean? That will never make sense to me.

That's why they're called idiomatic expressions.

There is one I'm very familiar with: tube vs valve.

I must say that I'm on the side of the British on this one.
post #206 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by britwithgoodteeth View Post

Old Man Mel must be going senile -- I can do the same thing with my Razor.

What plan do you have? Is this officially supported by it, or is it something else/
post #207 of 312
Quote:

Um, you got the British and American usage the wrong way around. Both are "legitimate" in that they make sense grammatically, but are you seriously suggesting the word "not" has no meaning? The two phrases mean the opposite of each other.

I'm an American who agrees with you on this. Saying "I could care less" to mean "I could not care less" has always struck me as a stupid. I've always thought of it as a matter of being blissfully unaware of the words coming out of one's mouth, not merely "idiomatic" usage.

Besides, it's not like adding the "not" confuses anyone, regardless of country of origin, so why not go with a form of the expression that's clear to everyone and makes logical sense?
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #208 of 312
Quote:

Um, you got the British and American usage the wrong way around. Both are "legitimate" in that they make sense grammatically, but are you seriously suggesting the word "not" has no meaning? The two phrases mean the opposite of each other.

If I say "I could care less what you think of me", it means that I care about what you think of me (I care and therefore am able to care less). If I say "I couldn't care less what you think of me", it means that I do not care about what you think of me (I do not care, and therefore it is impossible for me to care less - I couldn't care less).

Of course, since the word "not" doesn't mean anything to you, you will find this explanation hard to follow since it involves the word "not", (or its contraction: n't) quite a bit

Here's a link you might want to check out that might help with your wonderment:

http://dictionary.reference.com/help...guage/g09.html

And, you are right that I got the British and American usage reversed. I could(n't) care less.
post #209 of 312
Quote:

How many times do people have to tell you it's not free?

Sigh!

I'm posting as the post come up. Most of those came up after I responded to other earlier posts. Ok?

Also, as I said, here in my Barnes & Nobel it seems to be different. Someone else pointed out that it could be because it isn't owned by Starbucks, so it could be Barnes & Nobel. Understand?
post #210 of 312
Quote:

What plan do you have? Is this officially supported by it, or is it something else/

I'm on AT&T's basic $49/month plan.

I connect to the computer via bluetooth, and drag the MP3's to the phone's Audio folder. They then show up in the ring tone menu.
post #211 of 312
Alright, after much deliberation, I've decided I'm going to get one of the iPod Classic models (if you've lost track of my post, I'm one of those folks who wanted both a widescreen AND high capacity). Here's my thinking:

The current product line indicates that it's going to be quite some time before Apple introduces a widescreen iPod with a capacity north of 40 GB. At least two years.

I've already decided that I"m getting an iPhone once it gets 3G capability and my current T-Mobile contract is up (I don't trust the unlocking solutions to work permanently, and besides, I think visual voicemail is one of the iPhone's best features). By that time, the iPhone will almost surely be up to 16GB. So it'd be pretty damn stupid to get a 16 GB iPod Touch when I'm going to buy the same thing, only better, a year or so later.

Therefore, it makes perfect sense to go with an iPod Classic. I guess I can just stomach the small screen

Oh, and Mr. H, I'm an American and I agree with you 100 percent. In fact, this is the first time I've heard the argument that "could care less" is just an American expression. It's not. I couldn't care less what side of the Atlantic you live on — it's just bad grammar.
27" 3.06 GHz iMac

16 GB iPhone 4
80 GB iPod Classic
1 GB 2nd Gen iPod Shuffle

Apple TV (2nd gen)
Apple TV (1st gen 40 GB)
AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11n)
27" 3.06 GHz iMac

16 GB iPhone 4
80 GB iPod Classic
1 GB 2nd Gen iPod Shuffle

Apple TV (2nd gen)
Apple TV (1st gen 40 GB)
AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11n)
post #212 of 312
It seems that your eagerness has resulted in the price dropping for the second tier of buyers. Without you guys newer customers would also have to pay the same. So Thanks and respect.

The second tier of iPhone buyers will face the same situation when the price is dropped again.
Think of yourselves as being pioneers not being punished.

As for the ipodTouch, Im hoping it will connect to any wireless network, as I'd really like to check gmail etc from the cafe over the road from my office. (we cant have wireless for security reasons) So tired of lugging my laptop around. And it looks to be a while before iPhone gets to Tokyo.

The limitation of the Touch's size is no problem, Ive got almost a 1000GB of movies and music, theres no way I need all that on the go. I've been quite happy with the 8GB nano for a while, just need a few albums and room to record my german lessons. Then everything is dumped to external HD.

If some kind hackers would make a skype mod. or application I could throw away my mobile phone at last.
post #213 of 312
If some kind hackers would make a skype mod. or application I could throw away my mobile phone at last.

How would you communicate without a mic?
post #214 of 312
Quote:

I connect to the computer via bluetooth, and drag the MP3's to the phone's Audio folder. They then show up in the ring tone menu.

That's interesting, as other companies have prevented the phones from allowing that from what I've seen elsewhere.

Perhaps ATT is not as predatory as we may have thought.
post #215 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetzel1517 View Post

Oh, and Mr. H, I'm an American and I agree with you 100 percent. In fact, this is the first time I've heard the argument that "could care less" is just an American expression. It's not. I couldn't care less what side of the Atlantic you live on it's just bad grammar.

Oh, jeeze. I hate to continue this, but idiomatic expressions are often "bad grammar".

By the way, I try hard not to use them myself, but it can creep in.

Of course, we use them here all the time, but mostly for the humor.
post #216 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

I believe the iPod touch screenshots I saw had Calendar and Contacts apps. You are correct though, that it does appear to be lacking some other apps (Mail, Notes, Maps, Weather) that are on the iPhone and should work over WiFi. The reasoning is unclear to me.

Yeah it's almost a Newton! I mean really, they add Safari, Calendar and Contacts but leave out some sort of note taking app? I don't get it. I guess you can put notes in your ToDos maybe?

It is pretty sweet though. Cheaper iPhone good too.
post #217 of 312
This may be Apple's test of the UMPC market, on a smaller physical scale.
post #218 of 312
Damn.

I just bought a 30gb video 2 months ago. As for the new version still no email or camera so I'll be content for what I have now.

\
You are coming to a sad realization, cancel or allow?
You are coming to a sad realization, cancel or allow?
post #219 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Monk View Post

Yeah, that bugs me to. Luckily iToner exists. For 20 bucks you can put whatever songs you want as ringtones on your iPhone.

You can't on the iPhone, I don't see why it would be different with the iPod touch.

I don't suppose you've heard about North American coffee before Starbucks? (and outside NYC/San Francisco). Diner coffee or… diner coffee.

Starbucks is the main reason all those awesome indie coffee stores exist. For that alone they will always get a pass from me.

It can't yet, but it will likely be hacked to enable additional programs.

Basically iPod Touch WiFi = normal WiFi. The main difference is that your only three applications are a browser, a Youtube video browser, and the iTunes store.

So yes you can to your College website and log in to get your email, and no using WiFi on the Touch does not cost you anything (unless the wireless network is a pay one).

Peet's Coffee is the Reason Starbucks exists, at all. They learned from Peet himself. Starbucks founders then sold to others who made Starbucks what it is today.

Research about Starbucks and trendy coffee more deeply next time.

AS AN AMERICAN WE ALL DO NOT SAY, "I COULD CARE LESS." It's retarded, but so is the oxymoron of Common Sense--neither of which is true. Uncommon Sense is a more appropriate term and Sir Thomas Pain[e] knew this when he wrote that fantastic work.
post #220 of 312
Quote:

Adding an HDD would not reduce battery life too much. The iPod classic has a solid-state memory buffer - data is copied to the buffer, then the HDD spins down. As long as the user doesn't skip tracks all the time, the HDD doesn't have to spin up very often and is off most of the time.

Some possible reasons why the iPod touch has no HDD option:

1.) Steve thought the iPod touch with HDD would be too thick.

2.) The HDD generates too much heat and screws up the touch screen.

I think it's number 1.)

I agree, Steve is a big aesthetics-head. But I think battery life also played a role.

Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
post #221 of 312
Incredible! The perfect replacement for Palm but it has no Bluetooth! So friends can´t send over photos or vCards from their cell-phones and I can´t share my stuff with them. I can´t use Address Book to dial from - possible with Palm for ages. iPod touch could have been the perfect solution for 1. all of us outside USA that will have to wait for iPhone until who knows when 2. all of us who always thought having a really small cellphone combined with a really competent handheld device is the best solution (I don´t want to bring a big smartphone when I go out to dance, as one example).
And - why no e-mail? Someone wrote that with Safari web-based mail could be used. Yes, but how practical is that? With Mail you download when you are near a Wi-Fi and then read it anywhere, anytime. So much easier and faster.
To small extras and iPod touch would have been perfect. I would have placed an order straight away, but now I don´t know.
post #222 of 312
Many have been saying the iPod touch has a feature set that's nearly identical to the iPhone's, and that's not entirely the case.

Here's a list off the top of my head of things the iPhone has that the iPod touch doesn't. Feel free to add anything I've missed...

Phone App
SMS
Camera
Stocks App
Google Maps
Weather App
Email
Bluetooth
External Speaker

Included Accessories:
Dock
USB Power Adapter
Sent from my iPhone
Sent from my iPhone
post #223 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by scampercom View Post

I don't see anything about video out. Does the iPod touch support it? How about the iPod Classic?

Two things lead me to believe that the iPod nano, iPod classic, and iPod touch all support video out. They all have the following information listed in the connectivity section of their tech specs, "USB through dock connector; component and composite video through dock connector (with AV cables or kit, sold separately); audio through headphone jack" listed here, http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/specs.html

Also, Apple lists their AV cable as an available accessory for these iPod models.

What I am trying to figure out is if I can use my iTalk pro with the new iPod touch. I can't figure out if it will record. Please let me know if you find out if the iPod touch will record.
post #224 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemost View Post

Does the Touch have the same "buried" headset port like the iPhone? Anyone know?

No, the iPod touch does not have a buried headset port. At least not according these two sources, http://iphone.macworld.com/2007/09/i...sed_head_1.php

and

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/360/
post #225 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

I would assume the dock would be the same on both eventually.

The iPhone's dock has got a grey mesh in the background, while the iPod Touch's dock is a shiny black floor
post #226 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I think the price drop means we'll see a 16GB iPhone soon.

me too! I also think that the 28th september availability for US compared to 3 days in Europe means at IFA we will see 8gb and 16gb iphones.
post #227 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by xms View Post

me too! I also think that the 28th september availability for US compared to 3 days in Europe means at IFA we will see 8gb and 16gb iphones.

who's saying 3 days in europe? over here it'll be the 28th of september as well. at least according to apples german site.
post #228 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00nchild View Post

I love how rude people are when confronted with frustration that someone might have. Instead of saying: Did you hear about x? or did you think about y? Then just launch full on into "shut up" or "get out" -- when the frustration wasn't even originally directed at them.

I just found out about the Classics. That model was buried underneath all the other iPod announcements.

Thanks for the person who told me I should check it out.

I'm less frustrated by Apple now.

I was both those people!
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:

post #229 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicGarden View Post

who's saying 3 days in europe? over here it'll be the 28th of september as well. at least according to apples german site.

I've checked italy and england apple online stores this morning around 9 and it was 3 days.
However I went back now and saw that they changed the day, its now 28th of september all over Europe.
post #230 of 312
Quote:

That used to be possible here in canada, now it's not. We get stuck with the ringtone price bs now. Had an older SE phone bluetooth dragging galore, new SE phone, it tell me that media cannot be used as a ringtone.

The same happened with my gf going from SE to Moto.

Ringtones are not free on new model cellphones in north america, stop trying to insist they are.
Quote:

Quote:

post #231 of 312
Quote:

That's why they're called idiomatic expressions.

There is one I'm very familiar with: tube vs valve.

I must say that I'm on the side of the British on this one.

I often bemused by the fact that any Anglo/American forum often descends into this sort of banter. Especially as this is meant to be one discussing Apple products, there seems to be a love/hate relationship between the Americans and British, we support each others ill-conceived foreign policy initiatives but then bicker over whether it's spelt programme or program, get over it!
post #232 of 312
Quote:

I thought the Apple controller for the ATV was supposed to do that for you. That was the entire point. Control your computers video's and music from your living room. You shouldn't need an iPod to do that.

If you do, then something is wrong.

What you describe requires both an ATV and a TV. The TV is in a different room to the Hi-Fi so there would be no screen to look at. I don't see the point of the ATV and doubt I will ever get one.
post #233 of 312
It's a good time to be an apple fan.

I've got no money, so I'm not getting any of these products, but the iPod touch is a step in the right direction. Anyone know- is the screen optical quality glass like the iPhone?

By the time I can afford a new computer, the iPod touch will have all of the missing features (email, chat, etc...) and have a much larger capacity. Plus it'll be cheaper, I'm sure. Basically it will be a the perfect tablet if the screen were upped to 5 inches; if it had mail, it could integrate with Leopard's new mail reminders thing, and that'd be great for getting down quick notes and stuff.

I think the iPod touch is sort of a gamble. Not everyone will get one. I think the iPod classic, however, is a very solid, competitive product, and it certainly blows the zune out of the water with its new capacity.

Ze nano is ze phatty!!!
post #234 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggy05 View Post

How would you communicate without a mic?

There was a way of recording brief snippets on the old iPods... or longer stretches. How is that done?

I mean... if you had an iphone headphones+mic (or similar).... could that be used to provide skype via iPot over wifi? (though... I'm not sure that is much use).
post #235 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by trubol View Post

the iPod nano, iPod classic, and iPod touch all support video out. They all have the following information listed in the connectivity section of their tech specs

Yes, I read the same, I'm most pleased. In fact, that's something the iPod touch does that the iPhone doesn't.

On a related note - while the old iPod used to play video to the TV, it didn't present any kind of TV interface to users. I wonder if the new iPods provide a frontrow interface when connected to your TV??
post #236 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stink Different View Post

Incredible! The perfect replacement for Palm but it has no Bluetooth!

People said the same sort of things about the original iPods. No tuner! No voice recorder! It'll never sell!

Apple has the ability to pick the minimum core feature set that the vast majority of people will be satisfied with - and wrap it in a great UI. People are now used to the iPod interface, and videos on the iPod. Apple has taken one more step: How about some Wi-fi with that?

In a year or six months perhaps they'll add Bluetooth. Then as component prices come down and battery power goes up, they'll add wireless USB.

- Jasen.
post #237 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Regardless of what Apple does, there will soon be a good sized developer community for these OS X derived products. It will soon be as easy as going to VersionTracker and downloading a package to install new software on the Touch and iPhone. IMHO, that will make these things fly off the shelves.

[...]

Missing apps on the Touch? Wait a month or two and they will appear. There's a lot of space there to be filled with icons.

Doubtful. I've been around the block a few times on devices like this, and quality development communities never sustain themselves around closed systems like this. An OS update and Poof! all your development efforts could be wasted. Sure, a few hackers will do some very nice things with this device, BUT without Apple's blessing your user community will be small and the motivation won't be there.
Quote:
AT&T may force Apple's hand to lock out the third party developers - can't have "wild" software messing with the cell network. But the Touch has no such compulsion. Apple has already shown with the Apple TV that they are willing to turn a blind eye to the hacker community. The Touch brings the same thing with it.

Bah! This has little to do with AT&T. A decent security model can sandbox most any app, as long as the user takes minimal discretion in what to install. If OS X isn't that secure/stable, we shouldn't be using it.

What I'm guessing is more likely is that Jobs sees $$$ in licensing access to developers, much like they have done with games on the other iPods and other video game console companies do. Personally I expect this will be a bad approach for the iPhone/iPod touch, and eventually Apple will have to make an SDK available. "Killer apps" for PDA-like devices have typically come from the ground up, a small developer sees a need and writes the app him/herself. Developers like that would never get an audience with Apple to have a shot at the license (plus they wouldn't have the up-front capital). Apps that come from the big software houses will be re-hashes of uninnovative stuff. Apple would be better off making an SDK available and then charging for premiere spots on their downloads site to vendors.

Of course, my guess at Apple's intentions could be wrong. Apple may be rushing along at finishing up their public SDK, cleaning up code in the iPhone/iPod touch to safely handle 3rd party apps, and this will all show up in Xcode 3 when Leopard is released.

Apple turns a blind eye because there is currently little profit to be lost in most of the hacking/development efforts. They've already sold you the device, maybe other hackers will buy one too. If you break it in the process, they could refuse warranty coverage. How much would they sue you for anyhow?
post #238 of 312
I think it sucks that they don't recalculate the prices here in Belgium! It's $399 in the US for a 16gb model, and 399 here for the same one. If I recalculate with the latest currencies, I get 292 as result!
I think I'm going to have it sent to me by a US friend..

Does anyone know if it would be possible to ad iPhone widgets such as notes, games, etc. to the iPod touch?
post #239 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

There was a way of recording brief snippets on the old iPods... or longer stretches. How is that done?

I mean... if you had an iphone headphones+mic (or similar).... could that be used to provide skype via iPot over wifi? (though... I'm not sure that is much use).

With appropriate firmware, it was possible to use the headphone jack in reverse as a microphone input to record audio on older (pre 5G) iPods.

With the 5G iPod, the dock connector has dedicated line-in pins (assuming you have an accessory attached to the connector which makes use of the correct pins, and assuming you have software on the iPod capable of using it).

So it's not inconceivable that microphone inputs might be possible (and maybe not all that hard to do) for the iPod Touch too. Add to that a Skype application, and pervasive "free" WiFi (which is not entirely unheard of some urban or collegiate settings) and you've got all the communication capability you could want.
post #240 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman7607 View Post

Would I be able to go to my Colleges website and access my email by logging in through the site? Also the entire campus is wireless so would browsing cost me anything ($$$) on the Touch?

Apple doesn't charge you to use WiFi, so it'd depend on your WiFi provider (most campuses I've been around it's free to students/faculty/staff).

If it'd work depends on how your campus authorizes/authenticates wireless. It certainly won't work where I'm at, but I suspect this place is the exception and not typical. If you just log in over a standard web page, or if your campus validates on your device's hardware Internet address, then it should work fine. If your campus requires some kind of 3rd party software to be installed, then it is unlikely to work.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple unveils iPod touch and iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store