or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple unveils iPod touch and iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store

Apple unveils iPod touch and iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store - Page 7

post #241 of 312
So 6 generations and they still haven't figured out how to put an FM radio in? How many years will it take for them to add a feature that almost every other MP3 player has had for years?! What genius decided it should store contacts and calendar information (that is most likely already stored in the users phone, computer, work computer, email account, etc.) but not have a radio?
post #242 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by crApple View Post

So 6 generations and they still haven't figured out how to put an FM radio in? How many years will it take for them to add a feature that almost every other MP3 player has had for years?! What genius decided it should store contacts and calendar information (that is most likely already stored in the users phone, computer, work computer, email account, etc.) but not have a radio?

People still go on about this?

The iPod is by far the best selling mp3 player out there. So clearly having a radio isn't that important to most people. There is the iPod radio remote for those who really want it. Also, who wants to listen to the radio when they've got a jukebox full of their own music to listen to?
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #243 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

The iPhone's dock has got a grey mesh in the background, while the iPod Touch's dock is a shiny black floor

Yes, and reflections. But I figure Apple is so into reflections that the iPhone will get it soon too.
post #244 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I thought the Apple controller for the ATV was supposed to do that for you. That was the entire point. Control your computers video's and music from your living room. You shouldn't need an iPod to do that.

If you do, then something is wrong.

aTV can change the channels on your eyeTV for you? Nice.

aTV can let you change your iTunes settings with the TV off? Nice.

aTV can close your blinds and drop your screen? Nice.

Or maybe a iPod sized graphical remote is something useful? Even without BT and IR if your media hub is a computer. Coupling Ajax, PHP and a iPod Touch with a media center computer (PC or Mac) should make for a powerful HT system with an elegant little remote.

Couple it with X10 or some other home automation system and you can control your entire HT and house from your iPod touch.

If you can't think even a little outside the box then something is wrong.
post #245 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Peet's Coffee is the Reason Starbucks exists, at all. They learned from Peet himself. Starbucks founders then sold to others who made Starbucks what it is today.

Research about Starbucks and trendy coffee more deeply next time.

Go Peet's Coffee. However my point was that the widespread extent of the Starbucks empire brought decent coffee worldwide, which resulted in the backlash of indie coffee stores.

So if there was no Starbucks, there'd be Peet's Coffee all by themselves in California and a couple other places. Diner coffee everywhere else, outside of a few large cities and a couple tourist towns.

Um, on-topic. The iPod Touch is pretty darn cool, but given the state of WiFi outside North America a 3G iPhone continues to be by far the more useful device. Too bad it doesn't exist yet.
post #246 of 312
Quote:

I think we're talking past each other. If you have an ATv, then correct my possible understanding. If you don't, then perhaps, I might be correcting yours.

Hey melgross. I do know about the AppleTV... and I have thought about getting one... it is kinda cool... but you see... I want the interface in my hand Not on a screen being controlled with a push button remote. I realize now... based on what came out yesterday... that it may be a while (maybe years) before this become reality. What would be really cool would be if the iPod Touch could be used to view and control the contents of an AppleTV!!!! That would be awesome.
post #247 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Or maybe a iPod sized graphical remote is something useful? Even without BT and IR if your media hub is a computer. Coupling Ajax, PHP and a iPod Touch with a media center computer (PC or Mac) should make for a powerful HT system with an elegant little remote.

Couple it with X10 or some other home automation system and you can control your entire HT and house from your iPod touch.

Exactly. That's what I'm talkin' about!!! I just wish I had the geek skills to make that happen
post #248 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Exactly. That's what I'm talkin' about!!! I just wish I had the geek skills to make that happen

Geek skills are easy to buy with a checkbook. Just pick a young geek that wants a 360 or PS3 and doesn't have the $$$ for one.
post #249 of 312
Kormac77.

Vindicated, after all of these years.

"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #250 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

it's a SERIOUS insult to fans and early adopters to drop the price that much and that fast. i will NEVER be a day 1 adopter again. i'm going to sit it out and make sure all the bugs have been taken care of, and wait for a price drop or spec boost.

That is your choice. You are the almighty consumer, you spend the money, you make the choice.

Bleeding-edge technology costs money. Deal with it. If you have to be the coolest, "first kid on your block" then that is your decision- not Apple's. It's not an "insult" or a "slight" or anything of the sort- they provided a product at a price, you felt it was a good value and made the purchase. The phone has not lost any of its value to you- it still does what it does when you accepted the trade for your money at the previous price. You freely entered in to the transaction. How in the hell do you live with purchasing ANY technology that drops in price. It's Unabomber time.

*NEWS FLASH*- Technology gets cheaper as a function of time. In 99% of cases.

In short... grow up.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #251 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOOeY View Post

Does anyone know if it would be possible to ad iPhone widgets such as notes, games, etc. to the iPod touch?

You're on to something, my friend. Since both devices run OSX (clearly), there should be a way to move apps between them. Not an easy way, mind you, but I don't see why someone couldn't get, for instance, the iPhone's mail app onto the iPod touch if they tried really hard.
post #252 of 312
Apple relents with $100 credit for early-adopting crybabies.

Another win for Steve- $100 in store credit builds on Apple sales, contributes to larger purchases, and means much less than $100 to apple considering the margins.
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #253 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaminuggboot View Post

I often bemused by the fact that any Anglo/American forum often descends into this sort of banter. Especially as this is meant to be one discussing Apple products, there seems to be a love/hate relationship between the Americans and British, we support each others ill-conceived foreign policy initiatives but then bicker over whether it's spelt programme or program, get over it!

It's fun!

This isn't something we get into to arouse people's passions.

We do need a break from the mainline storyline for a while, and this does it.
post #254 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

What you describe requires both an ATV and a TV. The TV is in a different room to the Hi-Fi so there would be no screen to look at. I don't see the point of the ATV and doubt I will ever get one.

That actually IS the point to the ATv.

You're saying that you don't want to get the product that Apple made to do EXACTLY what you want to do, but that you want to use a product to do what Apple DIDN'T intend it to do.

How does that make sense?
post #255 of 312
Quote:

I'm sure that Apple has "figured" that out.

They are reasonable in not putting one in, because apparently, very few people want one.

If it were such a big deal, Apple's players would never have sold so well from the very beginning. But, they have, which validates
Apple's position.

That doesn't mean that there isn't a small, vocal, minority who does want a tuner. But, many of them are satisfied by Apple's accessory, as well as those made by third parties, and the rest are far too small an audience for Apple to want to raise the price for everyone else to be able to accommodate them.
post #256 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

If you can't think even a little outside the box then something is wrong.

He wasn't talking about any of that, as you know.
post #257 of 312
Quote:

Hey melgross. I do know about the AppleTV... and I have thought about getting one... it is kinda cool... but you see... I want the interface in my hand Not on a screen being controlled with a push button remote. I realize now... based on what came out yesterday... that it may be a while (maybe years) before this become reality. What would be really cool would be if the iPod Touch could be used to view and control the contents of an AppleTV!!!! That would be awesome.

Possibly third party software might be able to do that at some point, if enough people seem to want it.

I have remote control software on my Treo 700p, but that has an infra-red output, so I can control several devices through that.

I see no reason why WiFi can't be used to control devices with WiFi.
post #258 of 312
Quote:

Except that you didn't say any of that to me!\
post #259 of 312
Quote:

post #260 of 312
Quote:

That actually IS the point to the ATv.

You're saying that you don't want to get the product that Apple made to do EXACTLY what you want to do, but that you want to use a product to do what Apple DIDN'T intend it to do.

How does that make sense?

mel... my ideal is to have the graphical interface in my hand... not on a remote screen. Apple TV does not offer that.
post #261 of 312
Quote:

mel... my ideal is to have the graphical interface in my hand... not on a remote screen. Apple TV does not offer that.

but a remote screen would kick so much ass and would give the iphone almost unlimited possibilites.
post #262 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

but a remote screen would kick so much ass and would give the iphone almost unlimited possibilites.

Not sure I follow you. My idea is simply that you'd have all of your media on a networked server hooked up to your stereo / theater ... and you could view and play / control that media via a multi-touch graphical user interface on a "plam top" device like the iPod Touch or iPhone... basically... it would be the ultimate remote control.

You could still use your home theater screen with a push button remote too... if you're on the couch in front of the TV... which is how the Apple TV works now. I just like the idea of having the interface in my hand... and being able to take it with me anywhere in the house (imagine that most of the rooms in your house are wired for sound).

Anyway... it's just an idea people... and it only really makes sense for music of course. Obviously... for videos, pictures, etc... you'd be sitting in front of a TV or Monitor anyway
post #263 of 312
Quote:

I get you.

I just wonder why that would make a difference. If you have a fair sized monitor, you would be seeing the same thing as on the iPhone, or whatever, why would you care?

The main advantage as you stated it before was so that you didn't have to get up and go to another room to change songs selections, or programs on your computer.
You made that your main concern, as I remember from your post.

I can understand if you are saying that you want to get the iPhone, or iTouch rather than buying that and the ATV. That makes sense.

But, I'd just rather have an ATv, and leave it in the system.

The question is, how would you handle the Tv?
post #264 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggy05 View Post

If some kind hackers would make a skype mod. or application I could throw away my mobile phone at last.

How would you communicate without a mic?

A third party could develop some sort of dock connector mic, maybe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #265 of 312
When will the Apple touch get games...
post #266 of 312
Quote:

Not sure I follow you. My idea is simply that you'd have all of your media on a networked server hooked up to your stereo / theater ... and you could view and play / control that media via a multi-touch graphical user interface on a "plam top" device like the iPod Touch or iPhone... basically... it would be the ultimate remote control.

Though I wouldn't build it into an iPhone or iPod touch, there is certainly some room for a media control device. It could also function as a universal remote I guess. I would want something far cheaper, and that's the main limitation of the touch technology at present.

Quote:
Anyway... it's just an idea people... and it only really makes sense for music of course. Obviously... for videos, pictures, etc... you'd be sitting in front of a TV or Monitor anyway

Actually, I think that "interactive TV" (which hasn't really materialised in any meaningful way) would be far better with such a multimedia device.

For example - if you're watching a travel program on the TV, rather than have interactive links to websites and other information on the TV screen, your "remote control" could actually bring up a menu of options for the show, complete with the links and programming functionality that go with it. Same with ads - why not have your ads on the TV link to websites on your 'remote'? etc
post #267 of 312
Quote:

I get you.
I just wonder why that would make a difference. If you have a fair sized monitor, you would be seeing the same thing as on the iPhone, or whatever, why would you care?

I guess. My original idea tho' was a 160 GB iPod that could stream... so you'd also have the advantage of being able to take your entire library WITH you... and stream it anywhere there is a WiFi network with speakers hooked up (at a friends... at the office... etc.). Or maybe it would stream via bluetooth... and your car could have bluetooth!! I just like the idea of an iPod with the ability to send music out wirelessly.

But as someone pointed out... the issue there would be battery life. Then we switched to the idea of just using a iPod touch as a remote to control media on a server.

Anyway, the thing is... I listen to a lot of music. Some days I might want to listen on the couch (same room that has my big TV). Another day I might want to listen to music lying in bed on a rainy Sunday afternoon. Another day... maybe I want to listen to music when I'm in my exercise studio. None of those rooms have televisions or ATV's.

But if I only ever listened to music in my living room... where my big TV is... ya... an Apple TV would be cool. Still... I don't think the remote control interface is as nice as the iPod classic or touch. A nice upgrade to the ATV would be a click wheel remote instead of that first gen shuffle type remote. Now THAT I would consider buying!

Quote:

The question is, how would you handle the Tv?

Good question. I guess if we're talking about the idea of an ATV paired with a Touch... maybe the TV would mirror what's on the "remote" (i.e.... iPod touch or iPhone)???
post #268 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Monk View Post

Go Peet's Coffee. However my point was that the widespread extent of the Starbucks empire brought decent coffee worldwide, which resulted in the backlash of indie coffee stores.

So if there was no Starbucks, there'd be Peet's Coffee all by themselves in California and a couple other places. Diner coffee everywhere else, outside of a few large cities and a couple tourist towns.

I know this is off topic, but I wanted to clarify something.

The reason Starbucks was known for quality coffee when it expanded was because they would receive their coffee from Peet's roasting plant. So, certain coffee like Viennesse and Kenya were of great quality back in the days thanks to Peet's quality standards that once existed in Starbucks.

On the other hand, Peet's is starting to grow thanks to the coffee-loving culture phenomena that was created thanks to Starbucks. It's quite a dilemma really. I love Peet's for its great quality and freshly made espresso drinks (where baristas actually pull the shots and steam the milk, unlike the new machines that they have in starbucks), but I do like the environment inside Starbucks.

Nonetheless, quality is best, just like Apple. [generic quote to bring it sort of back in topic]
post #269 of 312
YASA VOB to iPod Converter is an expert and easy-to-used to convert VOB files to iPod converter.YASA VOB to iPod Converter has the ability to convert VOB into iPod Video and other various video formats.

http://www.vob-converter.com/
post #270 of 312
Quote:

I guess. My original idea tho' was a 160 GB iPod that could stream... so you'd also have the advantage of being able to take your entire library WITH you... and stream it anywhere there is a WiFi network with speakers hooked up (at a friends... at the office... etc.). Or maybe it would stream via bluetooth... and your car could have bluetooth!! I just like the idea of an iPod with the ability to send music out wirelessly.

But as someone pointed out... the issue there would be battery life. Then we switched to the idea of just using a iPod touch as a remote to control media on a server.

Anyway, the thing is... I listen to a lot of music. Some days I might want to listen on the couch (same room that has my big TV). Another day I might want to listen to music lying in bed on a rainy Sunday afternoon. Another day... maybe I want to listen to music when I'm in my exercise studio. None of those rooms have televisions or ATV's.

But if I only ever listened to music in my living room... where my big TV is... ya... an Apple TV would be cool. Still... I don't think the remote control interface is as nice as the iPod classic or touch. A nice upgrade to the ATV would be a click wheel remote instead of that first gen shuffle type remote. Now THAT I would consider buying!

Good question. I guess if we're talking about the idea of an ATV paired with a Touch... maybe the TV would mirror what's on the "remote" (i.e.... iPod touch or iPhone)???

Mind you, I have nothing against your ideas, but you didn't lay it all out in the beginning.

As you mention more things you want, the situation changes.

I agree that the 160 GB model is certainly good for what you want to do in terms of capacity, even more than enough, probably.

Of course, it can't do those things.

Which brings us back to the Touch. There would be no way for Apple to put more memory into that now, without raising the price unacceptably. Naturally, as time goes on, that will happen. But, it will take a long time for it to reach 60 GB, which would be, I suppose, the minimum needed to do what you want to do.

Putting in a HDD would keep the cost down, but would, as was said, kill the battery life. That big screen does have its drawbacks.

At some point, Apple will use an OLED screen, hopefully, and that will help. But, again, that's out in the future.

The closest you really can get now to your home situation, is to get that ATv you are resisting.
post #271 of 312
I feel y'all & your capacity issues: until someone makes a 500gb ipod I'll have those issues (was in the record biz for years, have thousands of discs).

In fact, I've been quite happy w/ my 4gb Mini, but now it's dying, and 16gb seems like a substantial bump to me...seeing as how I can't fit it all on one device....

As a result, I'm torn between getting one of *these* too-small devices & waiting for a larger too-small device next year.

I'll probably split the difference & get a fat-nano.
If yer gonna bother with thinking different, swing for the fences.
If yer gonna bother with thinking different, swing for the fences.
post #272 of 312
About using the touch as a remote...

Geeks would love this but it isn't what most people want. Screens on remotes have been technically trivial and relatively cheap for decades now. However, most people still prefer screenless remotes.

Reasons?

If it has a screen, you have to look at it to use it. People watch TV by looking at the TV, not by looking at their hand.

Also, normal IR/screenless remotes have extremely long battery life. I have remotes that last half a decade between needing replacement batteries. An iPod touch as remote would mean that people would regularly not have use of a remote because they forgot to charge it.

Would I enjoy using one? Certainly. But it isn't something I'd spend money on. My current remote has a 7 foot screen (on screen display). It also has battery life measured in years instead of hours.
post #273 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by marbiol View Post

For most stuff, the Palm TX does a pretty good job...
The only reason I was interested in the touch was for Safari - the palm browsers are still a little so-so...

I agree. I tried Opera a bit but couldn't understand what the positive excitement was about; Blazer works much better for me. Of course Safari would put either to shame (IMO).

Quote:
The TX even has VOIP clients which does a pretty good job of selling it for me.

Are you using VoIP with your TX? I didn't know that was possible, which isn't surprising since*I've been mostly uninvolved with the Palm (OS) community for several years. So far I've found Articulation and some guy's external mic/adapter solution.
post #274 of 312
Quote:

The closest you really can get now to your home situation, is to get that ATv you are resisting.

Actually... this is the closest thing out there to what I'm thinking about. In fact... replace the sonos remote with an iPod Touch and it's exactly, 100% what I'm talking about. I'm gonna wait for Apple to do it tho'... since I'm sure Apple would do a much better job on the interface / usability (as evidenced by the Touch)

http://www.sonos.com/
post #275 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

About using the touch as a remote...

Geeks would love this but it isn't what most people want. Screens on remotes have been technically trivial and relatively cheap for decades now. However, most people still prefer screenless remotes.

Reasons?

If it has a screen, you have to look at it to use it. People watch TV by looking at the TV, not by looking at their hand.

Yes... but I don't care about watching TV or videos or whatever... my idea is purely about music... 100%. Nothing else. I'd like to be in my exercise room or on my back deck or in the bedroom or anywhere in my house that has speakers (powered + WiFi or hooked up to an amp that's on WiFi) and be able to control my iTunes library from that location with a graphical user interface. What I have described is essentially the Sonos system... but their remote is ugly and clunky. The Touch would be a MUCH nicer remote... while still being a portable music player.

post #276 of 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

My current remote has a 7 foot screen (on screen display). It also has battery life measured in years instead of hours.

Sigh. Again... I'm talking about music in every room... I'm not talking about sitting on my couch in front of my TV! If that were the case... I'd just buy an Apple TV.
post #277 of 312
Quote:

Sigh. Again... I'm talking about music in every room... I'm not talking about sitting on my couch in front of my TV! If that were the case... I'd just buy an Apple TV.

Noted. But realize that most people aren't like that. Almost nobody has music in every room. Certainly not more than a couple percent if even that.

Unfortunately, I doubt apple will provide a solution for you. Apple products tend to have really well done, but fewer features. A third party product will likely have to fill the niche.
post #278 of 312
Quote:

Actually... this is the closest thing out there to what I'm thinking about. In fact... replace the sonos remote with an iPod Touch and it's exactly, 100% what I'm talking about. I'm gonna wait for Apple to do it tho'... since I'm sure Apple would do a much better job on the interface / usability (as evidenced by the Touch)

Except that I'm talking about something that we know will work, and you are talking about one which, for now at least, won't.
post #279 of 312
Quote:

You didn't mention this at first either, from what I remember, though I think you mentioned as an IDEAL later.
post #280 of 312
Quote:

Except that I'm talking about something that we know will work, and you are talking about one which, for now at least, won't.

What do you mean? Sonos is available now.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple unveils iPod touch and iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store