or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple introduces new iPod nano "phatty" with video and games

Apple introduces new iPod nano "phatty" with video and games

post #1 of 44
In line with expectations, Apple on Wednesday introduced an all new iPod nano, bringing video playback, an enhanced user interface featuring Cover Flow, and a diminutive new design to the world's most popular music player.

The new iPod nano features a larger two-inch display with 204 pixels per inch, which lets users watch their favorite movies, TV shows and music videos in the same resolution they currently enjoy on the video iPod. iPod nano also includes three fun games, and additional games can be purchased from the online iTunes Store, Apple said.

The new iPod nano delivers up to 24 hours of audio playback or five hours of video playback on a single charge, and is encased in a new all-metal design made with anodized aluminum and polished stainless steel and comes in five new colors -- silver, black, blue, green and a (PRODUCT) RED special edition.

"We've taken the most popular music player in the world and added stunning video playback just in time for the holiday season," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "The iPod nano just keeps getting better and better with each new generation."

The screen on the new iPod nano features a 204 pixel per inch display that is 65 percent brighter than the previous generation and delivers 320x240 resolution that is ideal for watching your favorite movies and TV shows on the go. iPod nano also features an enhanced user interface that shows off album artwork and photos like never before, and now includes Cover Flow, so you can scroll through your entire music collection by album cover artwork using the Click Wheel.

Pre-loaded on each new iPod nano are three games -- iQuiz, the entertainment trivia game; Vortex, a fast-paced 360 degree brick-bashing game; and Klondike, the popular solitaire card game. Additional games will be available for iPod nano later this month from the iTunes Store, including Sudoku and Tetris from Electronic Arts and Ms. PAC-MAN from NAMCO.

Pricing & Availability

Available today, the 4GB iPod nano comes in silver for just $149 (US) and the 8GB model is available in silver, black, blue, green and a (PRODUCT) RED special edition for just $199 (US). Both the 4GB and 8GB iPod nano for Windows or Mac are available worldwide immediately through the Apple Store, Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. All iPod nano models include earbud headphones, a USB to 30-pin cable and a Universal Dock Connector.

iPod nano requires a Mac with a USB 2.0 port, Mac OS X v10.4.8 or later and iTunes 7.4; or a Windows PC with a USB 2.0 port and Windows Vista or Windows XP Home or Professional (Service Pack 2) or later and iTunes 7.4. Internet access is required and a broadband connection is recommended, fees may apply. The iTunes Store is not available in all countries.
post #2 of 44
My sweet orange... why?

/Adrian
post #3 of 44
It seems that ipod nano won't be able to play the existing games for 5G ipod ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Pre-loaded on each new iPod nano are three games -- iQuiz, the entertainment trivia game; Vortex, a fast-paced 360 degree brick-bashing game; and Klondike, the popular solitaire card game. Additional games will be available for iPod nano later this month from the iTunes Store, including Sudoku and Tetris from Electronic Arts and Ms. PAC-MAN from NAMCO.
post #4 of 44
The new nano is really well priced, I'm gonna get my girl one to replace the ailing mini she refused to replace with last gens nano. That way I can use it (since I'm gonna be getting a touch model)!
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:

post #5 of 44
Why do they always kill the orange - I love orange - it's like Lego - why are there no orange lego bricks...

It's an Orangist conspiracy
post #6 of 44
I like it, but it kind of reminds me of a cracker. I feel like adding some cheese and taking a nibble.

And 'Fatboy nano' suits it best, whoever coined that one.
post #7 of 44
Seriously sweet. It still looks a bit odd to me, but only because it's different. I can't wait to have a look at one of these in person. Perhaps it's time to replace my mini. Then again, 80/160 GB classic iPod? 16GB Touch? You got to be kidding, right? How are we supposed to choose?
post #8 of 44
I take back pretty much all complaints... the iPod lineup is godly now, top to bottom.

Even the price points are sexy and aggressive. If I'm Steve Ballmer up in Redmond, I'm throwing some chairs right now.

Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
post #9 of 44
I'm still gonna call it Fatso...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #10 of 44
Too bad "Fatboy Slim" is already trademarked.
post #11 of 44
i like this nano a lot. its different and the "phatty" comments are ok, cuz its cute.
post #12 of 44
Well, personally I wouldn't be caught dead with it. It looks like a Creative Labs reject. Just my opinion.
post #13 of 44
after all it is NOT that bad, it is OK, acutally the black/silver color rocks!

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #14 of 44
You know this is an impresive little machine, but with all products announced with this launch it comes with far to little memory. 8 gigs ought to be the base model and each model increasing 8 gigs at a time from there.

Where I think Appple is missing the boat here is thinking of this thing as a just a iTunes player. While they seem to grasp that it has capabilities bbeyond that they don't seem to realize that people will actually make use of these features. The reality is that if you install a game or two, some pictures and a movie you won't have a lot of space left over for the units primary purpose which of course is the storage of and playing of music. I see Apples mistake as delivering a rather capable product that will disappoint people in the long run due mainly to the lack of space for everything they would want to put on the unit.

Dave
post #15 of 44
http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/360/

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/gallery/index.html

people should check this out and in person, before calling it as Phatty!

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #16 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You know this is an impresive little machine, but with all products announced with this launch it comes with far to little memory. 8 gigs ought to be the base model and each model increasing 8 gigs at a time from there.

Where I think Appple is missing the boat here is thinking of this thing as a just a iTunes player. While they seem to grasp that it has capabilities bbeyond that they don't seem to realize that people will actually make use of these features. The reality is that if you install a game or two, some pictures and a movie you won't have a lot of space left over for the units primary purpose which of course is the storage of and playing of music. I see Apples mistake as delivering a rather capable product that will disappoint people in the long run due mainly to the lack of space for everything they would want to put on the unit.

Well, one thing's for sure: the 8GB is gonna be a LOT more popular than the 4GB!

post #17 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Dave

That's just the reality of the tech, at the moment. To keep the Nano small as it is, Apple has to use flash memory. To keep the price points, they have to keep capacity about where it is.

This, of course, will change, and we can expect 16 and 32 GB Nanos when flash drive prices have dropped enough-- certainly by next summer, maybe sooner.

They would do better, IMO, to offer multi touch full screen with an HDD model. An 80GB HDD doesn't cost much more than a 16GB flash drive (might be less, depends on how fast flash memory is falling), so they could offer a much higher capacity iPod Touch for the same money, and just make it a little thicker.

I can just feel Jobs itching to get rid of HDD models altogether, the way he got rid of CRT monitors. You just know those, dirty, dirty moving parts keeps him awake at night.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #18 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/360/

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/gallery/index.html

people should check this out and in person, before calling it as Phatty!

I went into today thinking that the Phatty (the iChubby?) was the loser of the batch, and now I'm thinking that its not a bad looking little cracker.

I'm actually now torn between the 8Gig iChub and the 16 Gig Touch.
I seriously doubt that I'd be using much of the video functionality of the touch, so the difference ends up being the wifi connectivity.

Anyone know if the new nano and/or the Touch support recording? I really do need that.
post #19 of 44
I still don't like the look of it... it's an odd proportion... but I guess they had no option if they wanted to add that big screen. I almost would have made it a bit taller even if it didn't need the extra internal space... just to make it a more pleasing shape. But whatever.
post #20 of 44
I just made a quick comparison to the dimensions on the site, to get an idea of size. The nano is 69.8 x 52.3mm, a credit card/business card is 85 x 54mm, thickness is about the same as an old iPod nano 'skinny' :P .
post #21 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

If I'm Steve Ballmer up in Redmond, I'm throwing some chairs right now.

post #22 of 44
The PhatCracker it is, then.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #23 of 44
I like this new feature set, but I would have preferred keeping the nano as-is, small, but still with a real interface, unlike the shuffle. I still like my 2 gig 1st gen nano; the size and shape are unbeatable for what it offers. Bringing back the mini alongside the nano would have been my decision, but alas, I do not run Apple, as I lack the business acuity.

Otherwise, yeah the new shape is a lot less horrifying than it seemed earlier.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.4GHz and a battle-scarred PowerBook G4 1.33GHz

"When you gaze long into a dead pixel, the dead pixes gazes also into you"

post #24 of 44
Ooh also they kept the plug on the bottom. That's great for sticking it in pockets.

post #25 of 44
the whole new lineup is very sexy....

except for the classic! looks so bulky and antiquated...

the fatty actually looks decent, slightly disappointed there's only solid state memory in the touch, understandable due to power consumption tho.
Apple Macbook, 2.0 ghz Core Duo. 1024mb Ram.
Apple iMac, 2.16 ghz C2D, 1024 Ram, 24"
Apple Macbook, 2.0 ghz Core Duo. 1024mb Ram.
Apple iMac, 2.16 ghz C2D, 1024 Ram, 24"
post #26 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbpr View Post

the whole new lineup is very sexy....

except for the classic! looks so bulky and antiquated...

the fatty actually looks decent, slightly disappointed there's only solid state memory in the touch, understandable due to power consumption tho.

I think the "bulky and antiquated" bit has something to do with the flash only touch, as well.
post #27 of 44
My only disappointment was that they only offer 4 and 8 GB models for the new nano. If they sold a 16 GB version of this new player for US$250 I'd buy one in no time flat!
post #28 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoMan01 View Post

My only disappointment was that they only offer 4 and 8 GB models for the new nano. If they sold a 16 GB version of this new player for US$250 I'd buy one in no time flat!

I think you mean 'no time phat'.
post #29 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mania View Post

I think you mean 'no time phat'.

it's fugly. Or maybe... phugly. the big screen looks top heavy. the shape is uncomfortably squarish. the old nano was sexy.

big screen is nice tho'.
post #30 of 44
post #31 of 44
I guess I'm going to be one of the few nay-sayers. I think people who say they like it will soon have the novelty wear off, and practicality will set in. Folks who bought the nano didn't always buy it because they couldn't afford a full-size iPod. They bought it because it was all they needed and it was tiny, yet still allowed them to navigate their music collection.

I really don't think these same folks give a crap about being able to play back video or even fancy new Cover Flow graphics. The nano is what they took to the gym with them. It offered good capacity and a screen, the shuffle provides neither. I've NEVER seen anyone with a nano look at photos on it. And I really don't think it was because the screen was too small. It was because they didn't want or need to look at photos. They just wanted to play their music.

I predict that nano sales are going to drop with this revision. Shuffle sales will likely increase in response, but I think there will be a lot of people less-than-satisfied with that option due to it being limited to 1 GB and no navigation. The iPod touch and iPod classic will be overkill for their needs. And those who do buy a nano will do so not because it's what they want, but because they have no choice. They will get the new nano, and they will never watch a video on it, never load a picture, and the novelty of Cover Flow will quickly wear off. Then they will be stuck carrying around a fat nano with a uselessly big screen.

It won't be a failure, but it's definitely not going to live up to the success of the previous nano model...any bets as to when a nano classic is released?
post #32 of 44
I think the people saying it's ugly will take it back once they hold one.
Quote:

Quote:

post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I guess I'm going to be one of the few nay-sayers. I think people who say they like it will soon have the novelty wear off, and practicality will set in. Folks who bought the nano didn't always buy it because they couldn't afford a full-size iPod. They bought it because it was all they needed and it was tiny, yet still allowed them to navigate their music collection.

I really don't think these same folks give a crap about being able to play back video or even fancy new Cover Flow graphics. The nano is what they took to the gym with them. It offered good capacity and a screen, the shuffle provides neither. I've NEVER seen anyone with a nano look at photos on it. And I really don't think it was because the screen was too small. It was because they didn't want or need to look at photos. They just wanted to play their music.

I predict that nano sales are going to drop with this revision. Shuffle sales will likely increase in response, but I think there will be a lot of people less-than-satisfied with that option due to it being limited to 1 GB and no navigation. The iPod touch and iPod classic will be overkill for their needs. And those who do buy a nano will do so not because it's what they want, but because they have no choice. They will get the new nano, and they will never watch a video on it, never load a picture, and the novelty of Cover Flow will quickly wear off. Then they will be stuck carrying around a fat nano with a uselessly big screen.

It won't be a failure, but it's definitely not going to live up to the success of the previous nano model...any bets as to when a nano classic is released?

Buddy, please put the crack pipe down.
The old Nano was 6.5 mm x 40 mm x 90 mm.
The new Nano is 6.5 mm x 52.3 mm x 69.8 mm.

It just as thin. It is shorter. It is 12.3mm wider.

You are complaining about 1.23 centimeters or 0.48425197 inches.

Just hold one and realize how wrong you are.

"OMFGWTFBBQ TEH NEW PHAT NANO IS TOTALLY GHEY, STEVEY ADDED MOAR WIDNESSES!"

You people are bitch about less than half a friggin inch! Your coin pocket will fit it, it fits my cell phone for pete's sake.
Quote:

Quote:

post #34 of 44
The new colors are horrible
post #35 of 44
Quote:

How do you find stuff like that?
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
post #36 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking View Post

You people are bitch about less than half a friggin inch! Your coin pocket will fit it, it fits my cell phone for pete's sake.

Ok, ok, dude...I'll admit I over-reacted as long as you do the same. The photos look fugly. I didn't initially realize how much shorter the new nano is, which makes the proportions all the more wrong, from an aesthetic stand point (it looks like an old style blackberry). And it's not so much the extra width as it is the reason for the extra width. They are bloating it with features (video) that 99% of users will never use. (A poster on another forum said Apple is getting more and more like MS all the time.)

I still think, relative to overall iPod sales, nano sales will decline. There is now a gap in the lineup between the shuffle and the new nano. And it's my opinion that the sweet-spot is in the middle of that gap, formally occupied by the 2nd gen nano.
post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking View Post

No, wrong. We are not complaining about the 1.23 centimeters in gained width. We are complaining about the change in its aspect ratio which went from 9:4 to approx. 7:5 and that is what makes it APPEAR "fatter." I haven't seen one in person yet, but I still think the pictures of it are ugly. A device that size has no need to play video anyway.
post #38 of 44
Actually, there is one big issue about the new nano: when are we going to get the third-part protective cases? I don't want to wait forever for the likes of Belkin, DLO, Speck Products, etc. to come out with protective cases that properly fit the new nano (it took these companies months to come out with cases that properly fit the 2G nano).
post #39 of 44
The biggest news with the nano is that you now get video for $149.

The entry point for video has been lowered by $100. That's significant.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
set you free."
post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

That's just the reality of the tech, at the moment. To keep the Nano small as it is, Apple has to use flash memory. To keep the price points, they have to keep capacity about where it is.

This, of course, will change, and we can expect 16 and 32 GB Nanos when flash drive prices have dropped enough-- certainly by next summer, maybe sooner.

They would do better, IMO, to offer multi touch full screen with an HDD model. An 80GB HDD doesn't cost much more than a 16GB flash drive (might be less, depends on how fast flash memory is falling), so they could offer a much higher capacity iPod Touch for the same money, and just make it a little thicker.

I can just feel Jobs itching to get rid of HDD models altogether, the way he got rid of CRT monitors. You just know those, dirty, dirty moving parts keeps him awake at night.

Yes, battery life, cost, and size played a role in the iPod touch/iPhone storage decision. But in the bigger picture, wiFi everywhere will reduce the need for huge amounts of local storage. We don't have wifi everywhere yet but Apple is going to drive its growth by making it incredibly desirable, so you'd be willing to pay something for it, thus, giving companies incentive to install it everywhere.

Why would you want it? To access your own content (music, video, podcast library) from anywhere once Leopard and a new .Mac arrives, and if the rumors come true, to access your rented content from your .Mac virtual locker.
set you free."
set you free."
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple introduces new iPod nano "phatty" with video and games