or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple slashes 8GB iPhone price to $399, 4GB model to fade
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple slashes 8GB iPhone price to $399, 4GB model to fade - Page 7

post #241 of 404
Please, Steve, pull a rabbit out of your hat at the Paris Expo and make them all stop fighting!
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
Reply
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
Reply
post #242 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I don't think that means she was choosing something because it was more expensive. Instead, it means that she saved some hard-earned money, thought she was buying a product that would retain some value and cachet (not unlike, say, jewelry), and it didn't just a few weeks after purchase. She is ticked off.

It may be naive, but it is not shallow.

I do think you entirely missed the point since you were perhaps very eager to slam the post.

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree about who missed the point.

If you are wanting to buy an iPhone because it offers features you require/desire, a price drop should make you ecstatic, not turn your love for the product into hate. That she now "hates the iPhone thanks to this announcement" suggests that she wished to purchase the iPhone for some cachet, bragging rights, etc. now that it doesn't cost so much, the iPhone isn't as exclusive. To hate it because of that is shallow IMHO.

Quote:
Add: You may want to ask and answer for yourself (and then benchmark that with your partner of four years) what the utility and value are of, say, a pair of diamond earrings.

utility - low. value - in the eye of the beholder. Anyway, my GF doesn't wear jewelry so the point is moot.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #243 of 404
Yup yup. This is a big sign for things to come.

For certain.

Hopefully a slightly thicker iPhone w/ 80GB @ $699...

If not, at least 16/32GB flash models.

BTW, has Apple put ample resources into converting every youtube clip with over 1000 views?

I also still stand on seperately sold bottom mount expansion packs idea (w/ common periphreal connections) as a tool to drastically expand the iPhone pop appeal.

One analog bottom mount pack (RCA video/audio, keyboard input, charger input)
One digital bottom mount pack (digital video/audio, keyboard input, charger input)
Have the packs contour with the iPhone similar to:



Apple should jump the gun and release the first viable hiptop (iPhone 80GB w/ leopard) already...
post #244 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 View Post

For all the negative comments here.. please look at what other phone makers do.... like Nokia and Moto... exactly.. they do the same... in the phone business prices drop faster than in any other segment.

True, but does Nokia drop the price by 33% two months after initial release? I thought RAZR prices dropped only after a year or so.

I understand there's an early adopter penalty, but two months/33% is the highest penalty I've personally ever seen in a finished product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnurse View Post

Yeah, intellectually people know that but emotionally, they are pissed. I would be.

Soon after i bought my G5, apple announced the move to intel. To say i was upset would be an understatement.

Even now, the G5s are still very capable machines, and they weren't replaced until more than a year after the announcement. Even then, it's not as if the replacement blew the previous generation out of the water right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrinB View Post

Cry baby. Early adaptors of technology know they are paying the extra money to be first with the cool new toy. A price drop by the Christmas buying season was inevitable. Moreover, it is a great sign to see Apple get aggressive with pricing. Many of the people not buying claimed price was the reason. Now it will not be.

Inevitable? I don't remember anyone predicting that the iPhone price would drop for this holiday season. Some people mention a price drop rumor, I guess I missed that one.
post #245 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbear01 View Post

I don't believe I asked for your opinion of me, but since we're sharing personal opinions of each other... You're an asshole. I guess you are just one of those special people who is so much better than me, that you see it as your duty to impose your view upon me by judging me publicly. I hope it made you feel big and powerful. Seriously, who are you to judge? Stick to commenting on the issues that are posted rather than using your internet anonymity/proximity to take cheap shots at someone personally. Did you buy an iPhone? If you did, does this news not sting a little? If you didn't, again I ask, who are you to judge?

Simply feeling like I've been taken by a company that hyped a product to produce imaginary demand for which very little supply constraints ever existed, only to cut the price by 33% just 2 months after release, and expressing my feelings about it, does not make me a whiner. If Apple could sell the phone I purchased at $600 for $400 only 2 months later, and still make a profit that makes the corporate strategy and bottom-line look good to the street, then they were over-charging to the extreme. It's almost like I gave $200 to Apple for nothing in return when they are able, this quickly, to sell the same iPhone to everyone else for only $400. Did something make them realize that at the higher price, the features, and Apple's "cool" quotient, aren't compelling enough to sustain the product beyond initial launch?

It's been just over two months, there have been two bug-fix releases, and I still can't surf reliably with Safari on the iPhone because it crashes nearly every time I use it -- the majority of the crashes being on Apple's own pages. I haven't seen any indication that any of the problems I've noticed have been addressed by the bug-fix releases. I suspect that the second release was simply to add the Web Gallery option to help sell iLife and maybe to support new iWork document formats. I wanted the iTunes Store on my iPhone too, but that's not nearly as important as being able to sync with additional email accounts, such as Outlook/Exchange. Also, features that simply give you easier access to part with your money by putting it in Apple's pockets, such as the Wi-Fi iTS and Ringtone creation in iTunes for an additional fee (you pay twice for the song so you can have an additional 30-second clip of it), are no-brainers for Apple. That just makes sense for them, and thank god, someone has finally brought the price down for ringtones. Phone companies have been ridiculous with their ringtone pricing.

Primarily, what I'd like to see is compatibility with Exchange email servers and improved password security for the locking mechanism, but those are business-related. For consumers, I'd like to see usability features and bug fixes, like:
  • system-wide [text] select, copy/cut, and paste
  • multiple photo attachments in emails
  • ability to mark an email as junk
  • ability to select multiple items, such as email or notes, and delete the selected items all at once.
  • disk mode
  • Flash support
Almost all of the above features were expected within 2 to 3 weeks of launch based on rumor articles AND analyst comments (analysts that are typically fairly reliable).

But even before any of these new features, I'd like to see more stability and reliability in existing features, such as:
  • a magnifying glass in text fields that is smart enough not to go off-screen, is more responsive, and doesn't have the bug that causes the cursor to disappear inside the glass so that I'll actually know where the cursor is going to land in the text
  • more reliable spell-checking/auto-completion (it doesn't quite seem to function fully in all locations in the same manner)
  • a Safari client that doesn't crash constantly
  • Bluetooth that doesn't pop and crack when I put my phone in my left pocket while the Apple Bluetooth headset is in my right ear (A distance of maybe 3 feet causes a problem when Bluetooth is supposed to work at a distance up to 30 feet? Sometimes at a distance of only 1.5 to 2 feet, just holding it in my hand seems to cause interference.)
And I paid $200 more just weeks ago to have this? If I'd had any idea at all that the price would come down in less than 6 months and more than $50 to $100, I would have waited. That's not whining -- it simply hasn't been on the market long enough to justify this kind of price decrease without making it painfully obvious that they were seriously over-charging for the device. I'd just like to have gotten the same great deal that everyone else is going to get now -- for the same exact product -- no changes at all. I'm not saying I didn't expect an eventual price-drop -- It happens with all products, but usually only after a reasonable amount of time has passed in the product's lifecycle and, historically, Apple lowers prices with new generations of a product. This was just a complete shock.

You said it and you said it with class!!! I agree 100%!
post #246 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Okay.. you got me, point taken...

So in this case do you feel Apple shouldn't **EVER** drop it's prices?! After all, **someone** will always will have just purchased (whatever) a month or two ago... and will risk upsetting them.

Or should Apple just not do their price drops when it happens to effects you?!

How does your argument fit? No one said that Apple should never improve their product or drop the prices, but this is an extreme change when the product is still very new. I don't think Apple ever dropped prices by this percentage on any given product, never mind this soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Touché!

I was never good in French.

According to the Mac's dictionary, it's only been used in the English language for about four centuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huerix View Post

That is the nature of technology. Us geeks have known about this kind of thing and dealt with it accordingly. That's why you don't see us running out the door to buy BluRay players for $1000. Already they are much cheaper and it will continue. It is called economies of scale.

A 50% drop over 6 months is actually quite a bit slower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

New cars drop at least 10% the moment you drive them off the lot... two months later even more.

You haven't read the thread, but depreciation is a different animal vs a change in the list price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

according to all the whining babies on this thread

Stop that. Repeatedly insulting people isn't the way to win arguments or to persuade people. I don't mean to single you out, though I think you did repeatedly do this. There are a lot of people that said similar things, and it's getting tiring.
post #247 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

  1. Apple established a bad precedent among consumers. I doubt their next product launch will be as successful.

That's the biggest thing. I'm glad I waited, but I'm continuing to wait. Maybe the next time they introduce a radically different kind of product, people would have forgotten about this. I remember people mentioning Apple only having a particular computer model for a few weeks, it was in the 90's.

Quote:
  • It's pretty safe to assume that they already passed the 1 million iPhone. (Jobs likes to deliver on promises)

I think they usually toot their horn at events like this if they do surpass a milestone quicker than they publicly predicted.

Quote:
  • Where can I get a 4GB phone? I'd like to give to my kid for Christmas?

The 4GB phone is still available in the bargain section on the Apple Store site. You might still find the last of them at the Apple & AT&T retail stores.
post #248 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Stop that. Repeatedly insulting people isn't the way to win arguments or to persuade people. I don't mean to single you out, though I think you did repeatedly do this. There are a lot of people that said similar things, and it's getting tiring.

This is not an argument. There is no "debate" here - a bunch of people are whining and crying about something so patently ridiculous they only deserve to be ridiculed. Complaining that their product's price dropped after they bought it. What a bunch of whiners! Tell you what's getting tiring - the crying!
post #249 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkovach View Post

My post simply stated that it is Apple's right to do precisely what they did, but it is my right to not do business with them in as trusting a manner. In your previous posts, you said that you do the same thing. I am new to Macs, you are not. Perhaps we both learned the same lesson, but at different times.

Evidence has been provided by both sides regarding historical price decreases, and both sides have valid points. As I stated before, I do feel that some will hold back on purchases, but I'm sure that Apple calculated that most would not regardless of these actions.

Why do you feel the need to tell people how they should feel and act instead of just providing information in an open way where you don't assume that your take on the situation is the only one that is valid? You have valid points and I'm not quite as angry as when the price drop was initially announced, but you are doing your intellectual arguments a disservice by being so rude about it.

I'm not telling people HOW they should feel and act. But, that doesn't preclude myself, and others, from telling them how we feel about their feelings, as they are so eager to share them with us.

I get annoyed with some people at times, and others get annoyed at me. That's what happens here.

Once one person says something that several people jump down their throats over, you would think that others would either not voice that opinion, or would also expect to get jumped upon.

I certainly don't mind people saying that they were surprised, and upset. But, when people start accusing Apple of nefarious things, then that's where I, and others, get upset with them.

There is no reason to believe that Apple did anything other than to decide that they could do this now, and possibly that they should, and maybe even that they had to do this now.

But, when you read the rants, and accusations, well, it's more than going overboard.

I'm known to disagree with Apple's decisions as much as, and possibly more than most. I've been accused of hating Apple!

Most people have taken the word "whining" which several of us have used, to be a prod, but not an actual insult. And that is the way we meant it. But, just one person took it to heart, and struck back. Ok.
post #250 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

This is not an argument. There is no "debate" here - a bunch of people are whining and crying about something so patently ridiculous they only deserve to be ridiculed. Complaining that their product's price dropped after they bought it. What a bunch of whiners! Tell you what's getting tiring - the crying!

Say what you like, but you are very unlikely to persuade with a condescending attitude.

I think it's not a debate largely because people devolved to personal attacks. If people were trying to diffuse the situation, then they failed in a major way. If they were trying to fan the flames, then they got what they wanted.
post #251 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Say what you like, but you are very unlikely to persuade with a condescending attitude.

I think it's not a debate largely because people devolved to personal attacks. If people were trying to diffuse the situation, then they failed in a major way. If they were trying to fan the flames, then they got what they wanted.

I'm not trying to persuade anyone! Didn't I make that clear? It's like trying to persuade an infant of why they can't have the toy or stay up all night. You simply do what has to be done, there's no discussion. People are actually saying that the fact that other people will be paying less than they did makes them like their purchase less! What morons!

Ever buy a pint of strawberries only to go back the next week to find that they're BOGO? Do you protest the store or move on with your life? Some of the people on this thread would clearly do the former, to the delight of mature people everywhere
post #252 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

According to the Mac's dictionary, it's only been used in the English language for about four centuries.

It's still French. Do you pronounce it the way we would in English? That would be cache ett.

Quote:
A 50% drop over 6 months is actually quite a bit slower.

Not really that much slower. It's the equivalent of about 4 months drop at the iPods rate.
post #253 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I'm not trying to persuade anyone! Didn't I make that clear? It's like trying to persuade an infant of why they can't have the toy or stay up all night. You simply do what has to be done, there's no discussion. People are actually saying that the fact that other people will be paying less than they did makes them like their purchase less! What morons!

OK, Mr. Falwell.
post #254 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by king_rhoton View Post

Apple's US Retail Store price protection policy (from http://www.apple.com/legal/sales_pol...tail_us.html):


"Pricing

Should Apple reduce its price on any Apple-branded product within fourteen (14) calendar days of the date of purchase, you may request a refund of the difference between the price paid and the current selling price. An original purchase receipt is required, and you must request your refund within fourteen (14) calendar days of the price reduction."

Geez! I bought mine from Apple on August 21st. Ad 14 days to that, and you come up to September 4th, ONE DAY SHORT! Guess it's not much different that buying stock. You just never know when to jump in for the best deal.\
There are many more cockroaches in this
world than human beings, but it doesn't
make them a higher life form.
Reply
There are many more cockroaches in this
world than human beings, but it doesn't
make them a higher life form.
Reply
post #255 of 404
So if the group that paid $499 or $599 is really upset why not act together to show apple our frustration. Assuming we had the discipline we could not purchase any new apple products for 12 18 months. Presumably, the 300,000 or so of us that acquired iPhones and arent within the window to obtain a refund are mostly early adopters Im the owner of a variety of mac products including a g5 iMac, intel core duo imac, core2duo 17 macbook pro, many airport expresses, several airport extremes, a mac mini, each generation of ipod (including a nano and a shuffle), several apple TVs and, of course, an iphone. If we exercise our power as a group we might get more respect from Apple. Think about it this way there must be a lawyer among us shouldnt there be a legal argument under a construct of bad faith that apple and ATT violated their commitments and promises to us by not introducing promised upgrades (based on public statements by Apple and ATT to be distributed shortly after the introduction of the iPhone) hence, allowing us to void our contracts with ATT with no further obligation for a contract breakage fee? Apple has demonstrated by its price decrease today that the period to meet commitments is something less than 3 months it hasnt provided any meaningful upgrades that dont require a separate purchase (new iLife). Probably a smart lawyer among us could develop a legal basis for canceling our contracts with ATT even without Apple and ATTs failure to meet their promises of service and device upgrades, given we paid in full for our devices and received no other meaningful consideration from ATT in exchange for entering into our contracts. If 300,000 (or even 170,000 of us) cancel our ATT contracts and acquire the hack to use the devices on other networks we would demonstrate the organized power of the consumer and gain some attention given the lost revenue to ATT and Apple would be a multiple of the contract commitments that they failed to meet their commitments on. Of course, our nature as early adopters, suggests the discipline to punish Apple for a year or more is difficult but as a group we have substantial purchasing power simply aggregate our ATT contract commitments for two years times some number between 170k and 300k. My own view (which is that of a layman, but close follower of Apples product developments) is that Apple has over diversified its line up of ipods I doubt the hard disk ipod will garner much in new sales the iTouch may sell but not if they introduce a 3G iPhone in the next 60 days (which is of course what all of us would not be able to resist). My own experience is that I use the extended features of the iPhone when Im within distance of a wifi connection but dont use them on the GSM network because its painfully slow Ill be much more upfront about this with other potential consumers given Apples act of bad faith today

post #256 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbear01 View Post

Oh, my f*cking god! What is it with all you people who can't wait to jump on here and attack someone else instead of discussing the issue itself? You should certainly be thankful for your internet anonymity 'cause if I were next to you right now, I'd pop you in the mouth.

I did NOT think that $599 was a "bad deal" until today when Apple announced to the world that, yes, it was a bad deal. Lowering the price so significantly indicates that it was dramatically over-priced at launch. Compared to the top of the line iPods and Crackberries, the features, including the incredibly slick, touch-screen interface seemed compelling enough to justify the price. I still struggled with it and had I not had extra money in my checking account from a bonus I received at work, I doubt I could have justified the cost.

There are so many problems with the arguments that this is "normal business practice," or "a price-correction," or "all products eventually decrease in price." Yes of course all of these are true to an extent, but not in such a short amount of time and it is certainly not historically typical of Apple. The time between their product refreshes has been getting longer and longer over the last 2 to 3 years, and historically, price drops on devices in the iPod family occur rarely. Instead, features, usually storage space, are added to justify maintaining the existing price point. There was just no anticipating a move this drastic. I'm mostly over it now, but I'm not over all the rude people in this community that contribute nothing constructive, yet expend excessive energy trying to beat down the thoughts and opinions of other forum posters.

I don't think I have ever laughed so hard reading this forum. All those people complaining about the price drop have two issue. First of most of you probably did not have enough money to buy a $600 phone in the first place. Now you wish you had waited. Secondly you must not be happy with your iPhone and don't believe it was worth $600 to begin with. This tells me you bought it for status instead of features.

I stood in line for 2 hours and paid $600. I am not complaining about the price cut but I am very happy for it. Now more people can afford it and enjoy it as much as I have. I think this was a great move and I bought $170K worth of aapl today.
post #257 of 404
I for one am also pissed off about the $200.00 price drop. I really do feel cheated now, especially since it has only been two months. This sort of thing just does not happen unless a mistake was made to begin with. We early adopters are among Apples biggest fans and do not deserve this slap in the face. Apple, if your reading this, please do something for us, even if it's a $200.00 iTunes gift certificate to make it up to us.




Quote:
Originally Posted by macbear01 View Post

Who is extremely pissed off to find out that he overpaid for the 8GB iPhone by $200 only 2 months after it was released?

That would be me! I want a f*ckin' $200 refund! Punish the early adopters. Gotta love that!

Did they have to do this to maintain interest because they haven't released ANY of the feature enhancements that were expected within a few weeks of launch? I'm a f*ckin' sucker!
post #258 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by padrongus View Post

I'm also upset about the price drop but I'm more worried that the 4GB model won't be supported in the same way the 8GB models will be - such as with software updates. Anyone have any ideas on this?

It's the same software.
post #259 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by g5man View Post

I think this was a great move and I bought $170K worth of aapl today.

(hopefully AFTER it dropped 5%)

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #260 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

So – if the group that paid $499 or $599 is really upset – why not act together to show apple our frustration. Assuming we had the discipline – we could not purchase any new apple products for 12 – 18 months. Presumably, the 300,000 or so of us that acquired iPhones and aren’t within the window to obtain a refund are mostly early adopters – I’m the owner of a variety of mac products including a g5 iMac, intel core duo imac, core2duo 17” macbook pro, many airport expresses, several airport extremes, a mac mini, each generation of ipod (including a nano and a shuffle), several apple TV’s and, of course, an iphone. If we exercise our power as a group – we might get more respect from Apple. Think about it this way – there must be a lawyer among us – shouldn’t there be a legal argument under a construct of bad faith that apple and ATT violated their commitments and promises to us by not introducing promised upgrades (based on public statements by Apple and ATT to be distributed shortly after the introduction of the iPhone) – hence, allowing us to void our contracts with ATT with no further obligation for a contract breakage fee? Apple has demonstrated by it’s price decrease today that the period to meet commitments is something less than 3 months – it hasn’t provided any meaningful upgrades that don’t require a separate purchase (new iLife). Probably a smart lawyer among us could develop a legal basis for canceling our contracts with ATT even without Apple and ATT’s failure to meet their promises of service and device upgrades, given we paid in full for our devices and received no other meaningful consideration from ATT in exchange for entering into our contracts. If 300,000 (or even 170,000 of us) cancel our ATT contracts and acquire the hack to use the devices on other networks – we would demonstrate the organized power of the consumer and gain some attention given the lost revenue to ATT and Apple would be a multiple of the contract commitments that they failed to meet their commitments on. Of course, our nature as early adopters, suggests the discipline to punish Apple for a year or more is difficult – but as a group we have substantial purchasing power – simply aggregate our ATT contract commitments for two years times some number between 170k and 300k. My own view (which is that of a layman, but close follower of Apple’s product developments) is that Apple has over diversified it’s line up of ipods – I doubt the hard disk ipod will garner much in new sales – the iTouch may sell – but not if they introduce a 3G iPhone in the next 60 days (which is of course what all of us would not be able to resist). My own experience is that I use the extended features of the iPhone when I’m within distance of a wifi connection but don’t use them on the GSM network because it’s painfully slow – I’ll be much more upfront about this with other potential consumers given Apple’s act of bad faith today


You would have to find out just how many are that annoyed. There will be some, but most will shrug it off.

By the way, PLEASE use paragraphs. It is hard to read.
post #261 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You would have to find out just how many are that annoyed. There will be some, but most will shrug it off.

By the way, PLEASE use paragraphs. It is hard to read.

Unfortunately - probably right regarding most shruggin it off - I'm sure Apple very carefully analyzed the numbers and declining sales and even knew that most people wouldn't be out buying product over the long weekend - so that the timing would be good to announce a price drop and lock people in to their higher priced purchases...
post #262 of 404
Everybody stop bloody moaning, you sound like little kids who's dummy has been taken away.

Forget the Sales pitch, the marketing and Steve Jobs BS, If you bought an iPhone you never bought a mini computer nor did you buy an iPod, you bought a Phone. If you are going to make a considerable investment in any item it is your own responsibility to try and gain an understanding of the product you are buying and the way in which it is sold, i.e. ignorance is not a defence.

It is well known that you buy a mobile phone within its first few months of release you will pay top dollar for it, it is only after a couple of months and after the early adopters and people with more money than sense have bought theirs that the price comes down to a decent enough level for the general population. If you live in the states and are purchasing a mobile phone then you should know this. Of course it is different in the UK where phones are subsidised by the networks but even there you will find that after a couple of months or so the networks start giving them away for free.

There is no-one to blame but yourselves, in your mad rush to buy a 1.0 device (never a good idea with Apple) and be the first to show it off to your friends you never did your homework so you cannot bitch about it on here.

In the recent posts about class action suits because of the battery replacement fee all the fanbois came out and defended Apple to the hilt saying that the information was in the public domain and people should not sue Apple because of their own failure to do some research before buying an iPhone, oh how the tables have turned!

One thing to come out of this is the amazing news that Apple still have not sold a million phones yet and may not do so by the end of September, that is a far cry from the posts on these forums talking about a million sold in the first week!!
post #263 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post

ignorance is not a defence.

Speaking of which, it is defense.
post #264 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

Unfortunately - probably right regarding most shruggin it off - I'm sure Apple very carefully analyzed the numbers and declining sales and even knew that most people wouldn't be out buying product over the long weekend - so that the timing would be good to announce a price drop and lock people in to their higher priced purchases...

I think we have to be careful when we say declining sales. Based on what?

After the feeding frenzy of the first weekend, sales would have narurally declined. But that is true for any product that the public reacts to in that way.

The XBox, WII, and PS3 are good examples. All had feeding frenzies the first day or two, but slowed down since.

Even the hot selling WII has sales that are thought to be lower than what Nintendo could supplyif they wanted to.

The question that none of us have an answer to is whether the sales are holding somewhat steady, or are in a real decline.
post #265 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane View Post

Even if it did apply, $14,000 is the trade-in value, if you were to sell it some two months later you could still get probably closer to $18,000 if it was $20,000 new.

My iPhone wouldn't fetch $300 on eBay now, even unlocked. I paid $650 (including tax) on June 29. That's a >50% depreciation in 9 1/2 weeks.

The equivalent would be buying that Toyota for $20,000, then Toyota says oh, now a new one is $10,000, and yours is worth $8,000, thanks for your business! Someone would get shot in the head.

Or better yet, you buy a Mac Pro for $2499 and two months later you can't give it away for $1100. Would YOU be happy in one of those situations? (and don't say $2500 if more than $600 or $10,000 drop is a lot more than $300. That's obvious, and you've missed the point ENTIRELY)

No no. I seen your point the first time. I just wanted you to compare apples to apples. You were first talking about buying a new car and then its depreciation, which would make it used at that time. And the iPhones were talking about are NEW to NEW, not NEW to USED. Of course your iPhone (since its now used) probably isn't going to get $350, if it were still new then its still worth whatever its going for at the store(obviously).
Reply
Reply
post #266 of 404
I bought mine on Day 1 as well, but there is no sense getting up in arms about this:
-Everybody knew the price would go down, although $100 steps would be more readily expected
-Phone and price were announced months before release. What really happened is that the phone price dropped $200 over about 6 months.
-It's just September now. There's still time for them to release a 16GB 3G phone before christmas for $500!

You never win with technology purchases if you see them as an investment. They are a depreciable asset; hopefully the cost minus the depreciation is equal or greater to the value it has provided you at any point in time.

I'd love to have not spent the $200 originally, but now I can buy another one for the wife at a great savings. Think positive!

As a stockholder, I don't want the iPhone to be some elitist device; I want every college student to want one and be able to afford it with a bit of a stretch. The new price point will do a much better job at increasing the adoption rate.
post #267 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I think we have to be careful when we say declining sales. Based on what?

After the feeding frenzy of the first weekend, sales would have narurally declined. But that is true for any product that the public reacts to in that way.

The XBox, WII, and PS3 are good examples. All had feeding frenzies the first day or two, but slowed down since.

Even the hot selling WII has sales that are thought to be lower than what Nintendo could supplyif they wanted to.

The question that none of us have an answer to is whether the sales are holding somewhat steady, or are in a real decline.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your perspective) we have many legal defenses, particluarly where commitments and promises are made and we act based on those commitments and promises and they aren't fulfilled. I believe Apple opened itself up to risk (and this was a business decision) based on it's choice to dramatically reduce the price of a recently introduced product - particularly when it had made significant promises regarding the device and quick feature improvements.

With respect to my comments regarding sales (note the new paragraph) - I'm simply distilling Company comments (1M shipped by end of Sept (note some significant number of those will be sold at reduced price) and analyst comments regarding views on sales based on sales channel checks. Apple has a stock price, even after a 5% decrease, that is based on aggressive future sales assumptions - reducing the price this significantly, I believe, is an effort to stimulate sales through the end of this month. Given a portion of each sale is deferred because of the underlying ATT contract - such a significant price reduction suggests to me that Apple is trying to make up a huge deficit to planned earnings for the period ending this September.

They also need evidence of increased media delivery device penetratrion (iPhone, iPod) to protect their iTune franchise and avoid defects similar to NBC and Universal.
post #268 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggWSmith View Post

can't wait till the 3g 160gig iPhone comes out in December for $399 so all the people buying iPhones in the next few weeks feel as screwed as I do. Bad karma is gonna eat Steve's pancreas.

All I can say is HAHAHAHAHAHA.... BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Mac Pro 2.66, 8GB RAM, 250GBx4, Apple 30", MacBook Pro (Uni) 15" 2.4, 4GB, iPhone 3G 16GB Black
Reply
Mac Pro 2.66, 8GB RAM, 250GBx4, Apple 30", MacBook Pro (Uni) 15" 2.4, 4GB, iPhone 3G 16GB Black
Reply
post #269 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddits View Post

Why do we value our own stuff based on how much other people pay for their stuff?

Excellent Question.
Shiny Side Up
Reply
Shiny Side Up
Reply
post #270 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I not admitting that at all! Sure the projections change IF and WHEN sales begin in other countries. That's not the point. The point IS that current sales are NOT going to meet their projections. PERHAPS that's a reason for the dramatic price cut in the iPhone.

Apparently I'm not the only one that thinks this.

You actually take note of anything that comes from "The Street"
Shiny Side Up
Reply
Shiny Side Up
Reply
post #271 of 404
[QUOTE=cameronj;1137938]I'm not trying to persuade anyone! Didn't I make that clear? It's like trying to persuade an infant of why they can't have the toy or stay up all night. You simply do what has to be done, there's no discussion. People are actually saying that the fact that other people will be paying less than they did makes them like their purchase less! What morons!

What a weird analogy, do you have children, if so do you not ever discuss things with them and try to alter there mind set with information and reason.
Children may not have the developed brain of an adult but if you relate to them from their point of view, they generally get the point, not withstanding the human condition of always automatically wanting to be right.
I agree about the seemingly overheated reactions of some here but it is there right to voice those opinions and the right of others to respond. I also can understand those who feel wronged and can agree with them, it is the vitriol with which much of the comments are made that irks me.

These things always seem to get so personal.
Shiny Side Up
Reply
Shiny Side Up
Reply
post #272 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 View Post

For all the negative comments here.. please look at what other phone makers do.... like Nokia and Moto... exactly.. they do the same... in the phone business prices drop faster than in any other segment.

Of course I would have preferred to pay the $399 price, but I knew I was paying a premium for being one of the first to have an iPhone and didn't care then and shouldn't care now.

My exact first thoughts when I read online (coincidentally on my 22 day old iPhone) that the price dropped so quickly was...

ARE YOU F*ING KIDDING ME!?!?!?

But just about instantaneously... I thought... I hear the new, just released, Verizon LG Chocolate 2 was on sale for $249 for new 2 year agreements one morning on my drive to work, then not ever three weeks later, was available for $99 for a new 2 year agreement.

This is the mobile phone industry. I would be happy to see a credit or compensation of some sort. It would be very classy and unsurprising of Apple to do something like that.

I was a little peeved when I heard that if you are less than 14 days out from your purchase, you could bring your receipt back to get $200 back. I am 22 days out. But, I guess I was a little taken back by Apple's marketing and pricing approach, especially with such a big drop, so quickly. Then I thought, Apple is now a mobile phone manufacturer as well, so why would they not follow the trends of the market?
post #273 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by aduzik View Post

I waited in line two hours on June 29 to get my now-antique 4GB iPhone. I was probably going to buy a new MacBook Pro in the next week or two, but now I just feel screwed. Suddenly my old PowerBook doesn't look so bad. This is going to cost Apple more than $200 in lost business from me.

Then you didn't need to uprade anyway and shouldn't. You should be first and foremost lining your own pockets, not some company's, not even apple. Buy what you need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #274 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcoffman View Post

My 4GB iPhone is being delivered today via Fedex... I just called Apple and they of course offered me the $50 price protection on the purchase. (I bought the 4gig refurb for $399)... and I then told her that since I had already purchased the 4GB refurb, that an equivilant would be the 8GB refurb that they now have in the store for $349.... so she gave me another $50.

So I got an iPhone for $300, and that makes me happy! :-)

Sure I'd love to have the 8gig version and I'll be using every bit of the 4gb that I now have, but I'd rather have the extra cash to spend toward buying Leopard here in a month or two.

Anyway, just thought I'd chime in with my super experience with the Apple Store just now.

Nice but unfortunately the remaining brand new 4gbs are 299 as well, maybe you can call again and get another 25-50 bucks out of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcoffman

Apple did just call ME, and said they're giving me a total of $150 refund, which takes my purchase price down to that $300 level, I didn't even have to call them back. I'm still happy though.

Edit: wow they called YOU back and now you got it for 250? That is awesome man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #275 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Speaking of which, it is defense.

Only in USAian is it spelled 'defense'. In English it's 'defence'.
post #276 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnurse View Post

I think everyone who wants to bitch should like bitch for a day or two more and then move on. Unless you can get your money back (recent buyers).. it's no use obsessing. Go ahead, bitch and then just forget about it. That's how i dealt with my G5 purchase (made a few months before apple announced the intel switch). Still have that G5 btw (paid too much, would be painful to sell at steep discount). Did i mention that experience was the event that caused me to question every apple product price since? (yes, i used to be just like Mel, whatever apple charges was great cause apple would never overcharge us, they are like the mother Theresa of companies). Not only did I bitch, i almost was crying. It was that upsetting to me. Within about 2 months i think (or a little less), my $4,300 purchase was obsolete.

I actually think apple needs to do this a few more times. Apple customers are not smart shoppers. By this, i don't mean we lack intelligence (i for one am a smart person).. by this i meant shop smart. We tend to pay whatever apple demands. No way would a windows user pay whatever Dell demands. They'd shop around first!. Apple is the only game in town for apple products so it's difficult to shop around but we don't ask questions. I've never seen an apple faithful ever question apple prices, it's always being defended. I know why. For many years, the PC people put out propaganda that apple computers were expensive and therefore, people should buy windows computers. Apple faithful have been defending apple so long, that now, it's automatic for every product. It's an instinctive reaction. By always defending apple pricing, we have become dumb shoppers (smart people, but not shop smart). We have lost the ability to critically analyze apple prices to figure out if it makes sense. We trust apple and assume they would never overcharge and even if they did, it was a small premium for an exclusive product. $200 is definitely not a small premium.
I think that is why a lot of people are upset. No one likes to feel like they have been taken for a ride and have been duped. Apple does this a few more times, we all will stop making excuses for this company and become smart shoppers. Sure, you cannot shop around (only 1 company makes the iphone) but you can tell apple the price is not sweet by staying away from overpriced products. If apple wanted your business, they will then lower the price to whatever you felt was reasonable (and btw, free is not reasonable. It's ok to pay a bit more for apple stuff but make sure it's not a whole lot more).

Some people that buy apple stuff do smart shop. It doesn't matter if the iPhone is 15 or 15,000 dollars, if it doesn't do what you want and you can't afford it you shouldn't buy it.

That's what mel is saying {I think only he can really say).

The iPhone came out offering something you wanted, it was offered at a price you could pay, you paid it. That is what happened.

That's normal.

There are 3 camps when it comes to buying things:

1. People who want something and have the money (of which you are a member)
2. People who want something and do not have the money, or do but it is better spent on other things (of which I am a member)
3. People who do not want something whether not they have the money (of which Mel is a member)

iPhone releases camp 1 buys until camp 1 is filled.
How do we sell to camp 2?
iPhone drops price camp 2 buys until camp 2 is filled.
How do we sell to camp 3?
New iPhone model with new features or storage is released.

Now who was smart?
Camp 1 was smart because they bought what they wanted and could easily afford it.
Camp 2 was smart because they bought when they could.
Camp 3 was smart because they bought when it became appealing to them.

That makes you a smart shopper, the only way you'd be a dumb shopper is if you bought outside of your camp. From the sounds of what you wrote you bought within your camp, price drops shouldn't effect you.

What would you be saying if prices didn't drop?
1. I like my iPhone
2. I paid to much for my iPhone

If you're saying #2 then your not a smart shopper, if you're saying #1 then you are a smart shopper who is a whiner.

It's a $200 price drop, we get it, it sucks, but if it's THAT huge to you, you probably never should have bought one that early anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #277 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitCrying View Post

Why are people upset. Apple didnt force you to buy the iPhone when it came out. Apple is a company that produces product that attracts the eye. If you bought one before the price drop, you was attracted to it. So what if Apple did it TWO MONTHS afterwards, its their product and their company, and theres nothing you can do about it. If they wanted to drop the price two week afterwards I'm sure they would have. If seem all people do is complain but yet YOU STILL BUY THE PRODUCTS!!!

You much have made that screen name months ago waiting for today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #278 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking View Post

You much have made that screen name months ago waiting for today.

lol, i noticed that as well! prescience!!
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #279 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbear01 View Post

Who is extremely pissed off to find out that he overpaid for the 8GB iPhone by $200 only 2 months after it was released?

That would be me! I want a f*ckin' $200 refund! Punish the early adopters. Gotta love that!

Did they have to do this to maintain interest because they haven't released ANY of the feature enhancements that were expected within a few weeks of launch? I'm a f*ckin' sucker!

I just don't understand why you all are so frustrated - I bought an iPhone for 599 because i thought it's worth it, and i don't regret it. And guys don't forget it's a PHONE. I have seen larger price drops on contract phones happening in the past... like from $300 to $50 sometimes. And these were happening also few months after introduction.
post #280 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCon View Post

Geez! I bought mine from Apple on August 21st. Ad 14 days to that, and you come up to September 4th, ONE DAY SHORT! Guess it's not much different that buying stock. You just never know when to jump in for the best deal.\

They'll probably still give it to you if you push hard enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple slashes 8GB iPhone price to $399, 4GB model to fade