or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple slashes 8GB iPhone price to $399, 4GB model to fade

Apple slashes 8GB iPhone price to $399, 4GB model to fade - Page 8

post #281 of 404
I don't get why people think this move is so outrageous. Whenever Apple drops a lower end model, they almost always move the pricing of the next model up DOWN to the price of the deleted model. My guess is a 16GB iPhone is coming soon to replace the higher price point.
post #282 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by alek_2 View Post

When they show up here in Canada they going to cost $99 Too bad for early adopters...

Assuming you mean a new one and not one that has been run over by a car, and then refurbished using parts by another one that was run over by a bus... you and I shall dream on... for dreams is what they shall stay for a long, long time after they hit this country, if ever. \

We shall not speak of the dream of having affordable data rates...
post #283 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

Im the owner of a variety of mac products including a g5 iMac, intel core duo imac, core2duo 17 macbook pro, many airport expresses, several airport extremes, a mac mini, each generation of ipod (including a nano and a shuffle), several apple TVs and, of course, an iphone.

And you're pissed about $200

Quote:

Think about it this way there must be a lawyer among us shouldnt there be a legal argument under a construct of bad faith that apple and ATT violated their commitments and promises to us by not introducing promised upgrades (based on public statements by Apple and ATT to be distributed shortly after the introduction of the iPhone) hence, allowing us to void our contracts with ATT with no further obligation for a contract breakage fee? Apple has demonstrated by its price decrease today that the period to meet commitments is something less than 3 months it hasnt provided any meaningful upgrades that dont require a separate purchase (new iLife). Probably a smart lawyer among us could develop a legal basis for canceling our contracts with ATT even without Apple and ATTs failure to meet their promises of service and device upgrades, given we paid in full for our devices and received no other meaningful consideration from ATT in exchange for entering into our contracts. If 300,000 (or even 170,000 of us) cancel our ATT contracts and acquire the hack to use the devices on other networks we would demonstrate the organized power of the consumer and gain some attention given the lost revenue to ATT and Apple would be a multiple of the contract commitments that they failed to meet their commitments on.

You have got to be kidding me! You couldn't make this stuff up. Your contract with AT&T is two years. Two years is not yet up. Only if no features have been added after that time period to you even start to have a leg to stand on.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #284 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkishfy@cox.net View Post

I for one am also pissed off about the $200.00 price drop. I really do feel cheated now, especially since it has only been two months. This sort of thing just does not happen unless a mistake was made to begin with. We early adopters are among Apples biggest fans and do not deserve this slap in the face. Apple, if your reading this, please do something for us, even if it's a $200.00 iTunes gift certificate to make it up to us.

You feel cheated? Has yesterday's announcement somehow physically altered the iPhone you bought? Did Apple drag you into a store and force you to buy an iPhone?
post #285 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

And you're pissed about $200

It's probably the principle of the thing.

Quote:

You feel cheated? Has yesterday's announcement somehow physically altered the iPhone you bought? Did Apple drag you into a store and force you to buy an iPhone?

Cheating can be neither of the two things that you described. Of course they didn't alter the phone, or force people to buy it, and no, Apple doesn't owe people after the transaction other than warranty and software updates, but I still think that this kind of change can easily put people in a bad mood.
post #286 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I have supported my contention. What are you saying? Are you niow denying that Jobs himself said that this would be entering Europe late this year, and Asia the first half of next year? Because that's fact. You know that's fact. We all know that's fact.

Perhaps negotiations with the European carriers aren't going well. I don't know and I doubt you do as well. What if European sales don't begin until next summer (because of unresolved carrier negotiations)?

I will conceded that it's possible that Apple dropped the price to make it difficult for a competitor to introduce a similar product. I can't ever recall a company doing a similar move when they had a product that was meeting expectations.

Price drops like we just witnessed on the iPhone are almost always associated with disappointing sales.
post #287 of 404
Greetings: Apple has offered a $200 rebate to purchaces in the last two weeks. They also anounced that the 4GB iPhone would be available ffor $299 while supplies last.

I am a bit concerned as an investor that the price drop seems a bit panicky. Realities, however, suggest that the increased cost efficiencies of components due to the iPod touch might be helping. But here is a thought: the iPhone has not had a single stumble - there has been no $$$$ recall for cracked screens, exploding batteries, etc. Many of us thought that would be the case. Perhaps Apple built in a little $$ safety net on the first batch.

Lastly, I bought a Razor in February '06 from VZ. The cost was $299. Within two months the cost dropped to $99, and I was told "Sorry". Steve says "That's Technology" [USAToday]: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/product...bs-qanda_N.htm
post #288 of 404
First of all, I do feel for those early adopters. My brother was one of them. He's a little steamed but still will say the iphone is worth anything, really. I just purchased an 8gb off the refurb store for $350. $370 w/tax shipped.
post #289 of 404
<Original Quote>: Originally Posted by Duddits: Why do we value our own stuff based on how much other people pay for their stuff? <Unquote>

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post

Excellent Question.

Not really.

Ever tried to sell a house? Stock? A car? Anything?
post #290 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Not really.

There's a difference between price and value, you know.
post #291 of 404
the day has come and then passed. The $200 drop does still bug me but it does not change my life in anyway other than the lost faith in a previously trusted brand. I do agree with the last post that Apple does not owe us anything but the reverse is true also. My iPOD's are just MP3 player's now, my MacBookPro just a computer, my iPhone just a damn phone that needs more function, my Mac Mini will be a door stop, and the Apple Brand just another company that will take advantage of your purchasing dollar given the chance.

I supported Apple not because the products only but because I delighted in an American Brand doing great design and creating a community around its products. in essence counter cultural. I thought their marketing ability was excellent and they were an underdog company I wanted to see win. Yes, if they want to behave like all other large entities, they should be treated as such. The $200 only matters to me as principle. I pay lots of money for products I like. Hell, I buy Bang and Olufsen and they are highly overpriced! Apple for me WAS different but they lost me on this move.

Now they are just a company to me whose products I will now buy on price as one does with commodities. A corporation always has the right to change their pricing, that I cannot deny. They lost me as a loyalists and I wil no longer tout their brands to my other friends. We are in the software business and I had been an evangelist for Apple. One can lose loyalty for $200 and when you burn early adapters. Should I buy another Apple Product, it will be based on price and I no longer give a damn about fortunes of the company. Caveat Emptor - Let the Buyer beware....

Anyone want to buy some used Apple Products?
post #292 of 404
Quote:

So if the group that paid $499 or $599 is really upset why not act together to show apple our frustration. Assuming we had the discipline we could not purchase any new apple products for 12 18 months. Presumably, the 300,000 or so of us that acquired iPhones and arent within the window to obtain a refund are mostly early adopters Im the owner of a variety of mac products including a g5 iMac, intel core duo imac, core2duo 17 macbook pro, many airport expresses, several airport extremes, a mac mini, each generation of ipod (including a nano and a shuffle), several apple TVs and, of course, an iphone. If we exercise our power as a group we might get more respect from Apple. Think about it this way there must be a lawyer among us shouldnt there be a legal argument under a construct of bad faith that apple and ATT violated their commitments and promises to us by not introducing promised upgrades (based on public statements by Apple and ATT to be distributed shortly after the introduction of the iPhone) hence, allowing us to void our contracts with ATT with no further obligation for a contract breakage fee? Apple has demonstrated by its price decrease today that the period to meet commitments is something less than 3 months it hasnt provided any meaningful upgrades that dont require a separate purchase (new iLife). Probably a smart lawyer among us could develop a legal basis for canceling our contracts with ATT even without Apple and ATTs failure to meet their promises of service and device upgrades, given we paid in full for our devices and received no other meaningful consideration from ATT in exchange for entering into our contracts. If 300,000 (or even 170,000 of us) cancel our ATT contracts and acquire the hack to use the devices on other networks we would demonstrate the organized power of the consumer and gain some attention given the lost revenue to ATT and Apple would be a multiple of the contract commitments that they failed to meet their commitments on. Of course, our nature as early adopters, suggests the discipline to punish Apple for a year or more is difficult but as a group we have substantial purchasing power simply aggregate our ATT contract commitments for two years times some number between 170k and 300k. My own view (which is that of a layman, but close follower of Apples product developments) is that Apple has over diversified its line up of ipods I doubt the hard disk ipod will garner much in new sales the iTouch may sell but not if they introduce a 3G iPhone in the next 60 days (which is of course what all of us would not be able to resist). My own experience is that I use the extended features of the iPhone when Im within distance of a wifi connection but dont use them on the GSM network because its painfully slow Ill be much more upfront about this with other potential consumers given Apples act of bad faith today

Funny. You want legal redress over this "situation" on the one hand, then on the other you talk about "hacking" the iPhone, which is quite possibly illegal. That said, I don't know what state you live in and/or where you purchased your phone, such that a particular state's law might apply. In Florida, your "claim" would likely fail. Granted, there probably is a lawyer somewhere in this state (or any other) who has a mortgage payment to make and who would love to file such a lawsuit. With over 54,000 practicing attorneys in Florida, I'm sure you could find one.

In reality, your cause of action for breach of contract premised upon your frustration and disappointment would likely fail (as no such cause of action exists). Bad faith? No. As I mentioned in a prior post on this thread, I too purchased the iPhone (on the day of launch). I'm a little upset that the thing is already $200 less, but I'm not ready to storm the corporate headquarters of Apple. I got what I paid for. I could afford it. I made that decision. I'm still happy with it. I understand that some are quite upset, and they should be allowed to vent. However, if someone remains extremely upset, then stop buying Apple products.

But, when people start threatening suits for this crap (and for things like the iPhone battery), that's when things have gone too far. I'm not going to restate all of the arguments that have been made (on either side). All have valid points. For those that are still upset by this price drop, take it as another lesson learned. You really need to keep a close and watchful eye on Apple. Steve Jobs is a marketing genius, and that's primarily what he is about.

So, don't believe all of the stuff that comes out of his mouth....he's purely trying to move product. Just listen to his presentation yesterday (or the one in January regarding the iPhone). He's over-hyping Apple's products. That's his job.

Again, everyone is entitled to be frustrated by the recent move, but a lawsuit? Frivolous and, unfortunately, typical. A rebate? No, but Apple may want to consider something, as this is pretty bad P.R. for them, and will likely cause some to not be loyal customers, and/or Apple may lose some of those "switchers."

You know, it is funny that you set forth your proposal for a lawsuit and why you are upset, but then you mention that Apple will likely come out with a new 3G iPhone in 60 days, which you will not be able to resist? If your prediction is true, are you going to sue Apple for that as well, or is this change (and seeming obsolescence of your phone) well past the acceptable deadline of four months from the iPhone's first launch?
post #293 of 404
Why doesn't Apple drop $200 off of their ridiculously high priced computers...

I have said it once and I will say it again. Apple is all about gouging its customers. Almost every aspect of their business reflects this. Yay for corporate profits.

Apple is serious need of competition....
post #294 of 404
Like most of you I was upset about the price drop. I have been an apple user for many years and spend thousands a year on apple products. Hey they would not even offer EPP pricing for the iPhone. NO DICOUNTS! Last week a friend of ours got us our third iPhone using his Friends and Family discount and that is the one that hurts. The F&F discount is not as big as the 33% price drop. Bummed and upset, I went back to the Apple store that sold me my 2 iPhones on July 1, 2007. After talking to the manager, he gave me a gift card worth $431 for the price difference on the two I bought there.

I think I am one of the lucky ones. Facts are that the iPhone is the best smart phone out there. It was worth the $600 each I shelled out on my wifes birthday. Knowing how technology is, a better and cheaper iPhone will be in our future and I will be one of the first ones to buy one.

Facts are that if you bought the iPhone within the last 14 days you can demand a price adjustment. If you have had the phone for longer, it is up to the store manager to see if he will help you.

For what it is worth, the closest Apple store near me told me too bad and I shop there all the time.

Good luck to all. Worst case for everyone is to enjoy the best phone & ipod ever. Yes the iPhone with its speaker is better than the iPod touch.
post #295 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrightm View Post

Funny. You want legal redress over this "situation" on the one hand, then on the other you talk about "hacking" the iPhone, which is quite possibly illegal.

The proposed lawsuit is silly.

Modifying something you own isn't illegal. There was some question on whether you can sell the modification, but the answer is apparently yes, but that doesn't mean that AT&T can't try to sue you to poverty for trying.
post #296 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The proposed lawsuit is silly.

Modifying something you own isn't illegal. There was some question on whether you can sell the modification, but the answer is apparently yes.

That's an overly broad statement. How would he hack it? On his own, or using software sold to him by someone else? I'm not sure the latter is completely legal, despite certain folk surmising that it is "possibly" legal. My point is that the legality of hacking the phone is still in a gray area and thus somewhat dubious. Yet, the poster is equally ready (or, at least, eager) to file a lawsuit claiming what Apple has done (price drop) is trampling on his rights such that he deserves legal redress--when it is clear that what Apple has done is entirely legal and has NOT committed any tort upon the poster (despite his frustration).
post #297 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by movielover View Post

HDTV is different though. There are multiple suppliers and manufacturers. What's dropping the price of HDTVs, LCDs and plasmas are overally costs and economies of scale. Apple controls the iPhone and pricing, and a drastic drop in price can't be attributed to manufacturing cost in just over two months.

For your comment to make any sense at all, you would have to be talking about a particular brand and model of HDTV, not the segment as a whole. There are many suppliers of cellphones just as there are many suppliers of HDTVs.
post #298 of 404
As the New York Times reports today:

"On Wednesday, Apple executives insisted that the price cut had been planned long ago and that the strategy had been conceived in part to keep the iPhones pricing in line with its new iPod Touch, a music player that looks like the iPhone but lacks the phone-calling ability."

This is what makes me so mad: I have no problem with the price drop per se, I have a problem with the fact that Apple has been planning to screw over their most devoted customers from the get go: we payed 200 bucks more than what they sell for a mere two months later; we stood in line, manufacturing a media event for Apple; we spent the last two months explaining to people why the iPhone is NOT overpriced - and now we look like idiots (contrary to what many seem to believe, I tended to hide the phone, so I wouldn't have to explain all the time). Great, thank you very much, I feel used.

Those who can't empathize with this, just shut up. Enjoy your schadenfreude and go your own way. Don't add insult to injury, which is what Steve Jobs did in his USA Today interview. I'm in my late 20's, still a graduate student, and have owned half a dozen macs in the last few years. I do pay a premium for Apple's products, for precisely the reasons all of us who frequent these forums do - but I don't have money to spend for being a beta tester.
I convinced close to a dozen people to switch to the mac, Apple's 'do business different' history was one of the reasons I stressed. That's over now, it seems. Along the way to becoming Bill Gates, being nice to your customer base was a good idea, now that we have domination of a market segment we can screw being sentimental. Great.

September 5th is the day that made me an Apple cynic.
post #299 of 404
Jobs may be pumping up his products - but he's also CEO of the company selling the products - he and ATT made commitments for feature enhancements - because of his position, consumers have the ability to rely on promises he makes as an officer of the company. Apple and ATT both tactily agreed to a substantial price reduction (and by the way - I too am aware of price reductions in cell phones - but am not aware of any reduction in excess of 30% less than 3 months after sales launch (if the device were selling as planned it would be unlikely someone would do this)) which set the stage for a defeinition of time relative to all matters iPhone. No feature enhancements within the period of time - lack of follow though on public commitments = breach of contract. My guess is any consumer could use this as a basis for cancelling a 2 year contract because apple and ATT breached their commitment. Incidentally, why do you think the two companies have a return policy to begin with? They owe a duty of care to the consumer and even if they didn't have a policy - i bet from a legal standpoint, they'd be required to make a given consumer whole for a price discount that occurred a "reasonable" amount of time after they contracted (purchased from) with the selling party.
post #300 of 404
too often I think we have discussed this pricing matter in terms of price strategy. In effect what Apple did was it used up a lot of the equity it gained in a loyal customer base to profit. They will pay for this in the future if people do not just accept things. There really are a lot of good phones in the market as well as good computers, and MP3 players. Maybe it is time us Apple fans start to be more open minded to other brands as the brand that we loved, turned on us. ....
post #301 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.duane View Post

but I don't have money to spend for being a beta tester.

Then you shouldn't have bought the iPhone at $599, should you? Grow up and take responsibility for your own actions. There's no use being mad at Apple, you parted with your $599 out of your own free will. If the iPhone isn't worth $599 to you, you shouldn't have bought it. Simple as that.
post #302 of 404
Quote:

No feature enhancements within the period of time - lack of follow though on public commitments = breach of contract.

Again, the contract is two years long. Two years is not yet up. So how can they possibly have breached the part of the contract that promises features enhancements over a period of time? The period of time is not yet up. Ignoring the fact, of course, that feature updates have already been provided. Did Apple or ATT state anywhere what the feature enhancements would be? No.
post #303 of 404
Quote:

Then you shouldn't have bought the iPhone at $599, should you? Grow up and take responsibility for your own actions. There's no use being mad at Apple, you parted with your $599 out of your own free will. If the iPhone isn't worth $599 to you, you shouldn't have bought it. Simple as that.

Relax Mr H. You have proved to apple already what a water boy you are. Let the folks bitch. Apple will reward you for your loyalty and efforts to keep the troops in line. Take a break already.
post #304 of 404
Quote:

It was also pretty obvious that price drops would occur and reasonably rapidly to get to their desired sales goal in a year and because a new generation of flash was to be available but wasn't in the current iPhones. Well, that last part obvious to folks that frequent AI anyway.
post #305 of 404
This is fantastic news. Was waiting for the 8GB model to become more affordable, and it happened much sooner than I expected! I might even be able to justify paying to get out of my T-Mobile contract 9 months early now...
post #306 of 404
Most carriers charge $200.00 to terminate a contract, what Apple has done, is to indirectly subsidize the cost of breaking this contract.
Also, on June 30th, on the Kim Kommando show, Kim made the statement that the iPhone would be a lot cheaper by October, she didnt miss it by much. So I dont know why this is such a surprise. I have bought several Apple products that were refreshed shortly after my purchased, (iBook G4, 60GB video iPod), were either I could have had more features, or same features for the same price, but that is just the way it is. And its not just Apple, my 19 Sony monitor was reduced by @200.00 18 days after I bought, no refund there either.
I would love to have an iPhone, but I didnt buy an iPhone, and I still wont buy an iPhone, do to Apples poor choice in a locking its self to AT&T. One feature that is very important to me is the ability to use the phone as a modem for a lap top. AT&T does not offer this feature on the iPhone at any price, (its available on some of their other phones for $60.00 a month), because the data plan for the phone is only costing $20.00, is what I was told. I use my phone as a modem, unlimited access, with Alltel for $25.00 a month. AT&T is where the real gouging is going on.
post #307 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigal121892 View Post

Most carriers charge $200.00 to terminate a contract, what Apple has done, is to indirectly subsidize the cost of breaking this contract.
Also, on June 30th, on the Kim Kommando show, Kim made the statement that the iPhone would be a lot cheaper by October, she didnt miss it by much. So I dont know why this is such a surprise. I have bought several Apple products that were refreshed shortly after my purchased, (iBook G4, 60GB video iPod), were either I could have had more features, or same features for the same price, but that is just the way it is. And its not just Apple, my 19 Sony monitor was reduced by @200.00 18 days after I bought, no refund there either.
I would love to have an iPhone, but I didnt buy an iPhone, and I still wont buy an iPhone, do to Apples poor choice in a locking its self to AT&T. One feature that is very important to me is the ability to use the phone as a modem for a lap top. AT&T does not offer this feature on the iPhone at any price, (its available on some of their other phones for $60.00 a month), because the data plan for the phone is only costing $20.00, is what I was told. I use my phone as a modem, unlimited access, with Alltel for $25.00 a month. AT&T is where the real gouging is going on.

Nice try blaming AT&T. Gotta give you credit though.
post #308 of 404
Quote:

Oh dude,
at the risk that you're not going to get it again, this is not about what it was worth to me, it is about Apple's exploitation of just that. Yeah, it's capitalism, right? That's my point: Apple changed in what kind of relationship it has with its loyal customers - and I'm not willing to be ripped off like that. If that's immature in your eyes, you have grown up into something I don't want to be (truly smug, for example). Simple as that.
post #309 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnurse View Post

Apple will reward you for your loyalty and efforts to keep the troops in line.

I doubt it. Guess you haven't read any of my posts regarding Apple's desktop lineup, laptop lineup, the Finder, or QuickTime?
post #310 of 404
I'm trying to stay out of the 'we got screwed because Apple lowered the price and we overpayed ' whine fest.

I've only got one question to those who feel screwed, betrayed and otherwise wronged. Is this the first electronic device you've ever bought?

I bought a Samsung 42" plasma HDTV at fathers day. Samsung now sell 50" plasmas for roughly the same price. I don't feel screwed because I realize that's the way this biz works.
post #311 of 404
While I'm peeved at the price drop, I've had it since iDay. I personally wouldn't buy an iPhone between now and December. Looks like they're clearing out inventory. Such an early price cut to me hints that a new iPhone is just around the corner, maybe in time for holiday season (two models on the shelves - 8gb and 16gb) or early '08. Let's wait and see what it is.

They should've cut $100 yesterday, and another $100 a month from now. Then maybe introduce a 16gb version at $599 Nov. 1 to have both 8 and 16gb models in time for the holidays.
post #312 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

<Original Quote>: Originally Posted by Duddits:

"Why do we value our own stuff based on how much other people pay for their stuff?" <Unquote>

<Follow up quote>:Originally Posted by bikerdude:

"Excellent Question." <Unquote>

<anantksundaram replies>:

Not really.

Are you buying an iPhone to sell to someone else, or to use for yourself?

You care about how much other people pay for a house, stock, and car because you are interested in investment and resale value. You buy with a high possibility of selling. The iPhone, on the other hand, is something you buy and gobble up yourself. The value of the iPhone is how much it is worth to you.

Not only that, you are locked into a 2 year contract during which you will almost certainly not sell it. A price drop now is irrelevent to its price in 3 years, which will be much reduced regardless of whether Apple lowers the price now or in 4 months. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter. Early adopters just hate that so few days separated them from a better deal.
post #313 of 404
Quote:

Oh dude,
at the risk that you're not going to get it again, this is not about what it was worth to me, it is about Apple's exploitation of just that. Yeah, it's capitalism, right? That's my point: Apple changed in what kind of relationship it has with its loyal customers - and I'm not willing to be ripped off like that.

If it was worth $599 to you, how have you been ripped off?

It has absolutely everything to do with what the iPhone is worth to you and that you decided to buy it at $599.

How long are you planning on keeping your iPhone? Two years at least I would have thought, given that's how long the contract is. What will it be worth then, in terms of resale value? Very little indeed, because we all know by then there'll be a 3G version with higher capacity and possibly other upgraded features. You bought the iPhone knowing this. So I fail to see how a $200 price reduction, at any point during your ownership, makes any difference.

What is happening here is that with the benefit of hindsight you are wishing you'd waited two months, because two months' usage of an iPhone isn't worth $200 to you. I appreciate that that is an annoying feeling, but it doesn't change the facts. You were able to inspect the iPhone features before buying and you made your choice. You were not duped in any way and your iPhone remains the same iPhone it always was and always will be.
post #314 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrightm View Post

Funny. You want legal redress over this "situation" on the one hand, then on the other you talk about "hacking" the iPhone, which is quite possibly illegal. That said, I don't know what state you live in and/or where you purchased your phone, such that a particular state's law might apply. In Florida, your "claim" would likely fail. Granted, there probably is a lawyer somewhere in this state (or any other) who has a mortgage payment to make and who would love to file such a lawsuit. With over 54,000 practicing attorneys in Florida, I'm sure you could find one.

In reality, your cause of action for breach of contract premised upon your frustration and disappointment would likely fail (as no such cause of action exists). Bad faith? No. As I mentioned in a prior post on this thread, I too purchased the iPhone (on the day of launch). I'm a little upset that the thing is already $200 less, but I'm not ready to storm the corporate headquarters of Apple. I got what I paid for. I could afford it. I made that decision. I'm still happy with it. I understand that some are quite upset, and they should be allowed to vent. However, if someone remains extremely upset, then stop buying Apple products.

But, when people start threatening suits for this crap (and for things like the iPhone battery), that's when things have gone too far. I'm not going to restate all of the arguments that have been made (on either side). All have valid points. For those that are still upset by this price drop, take it as another lesson learned. You really need to keep a close and watchful eye on Apple. Steve Jobs is a marketing genius, and that's primarily what he is about.

So, don't believe all of the stuff that comes out of his mouth....he's purely trying to move product. Just listen to his presentation yesterday (or the one in January regarding the iPhone). He's over-hyping Apple's products. That's his job.

Again, everyone is entitled to be frustrated by the recent move, but a lawsuit? Frivolous and, unfortunately, typical. A rebate? No, but Apple may want to consider something, as this is pretty bad P.R. for them, and will likely cause some to not be loyal customers, and/or Apple may lose some of those "switchers."

You know, it is funny that you set forth your proposal for a lawsuit and why you are upset, but then you mention that Apple will likely come out with a new 3G iPhone in 60 days, which you will not be able to resist? If your prediction is true, are you going to sue Apple for that as well, or is this change (and seeming obsolescence of your phone) well past the acceptable deadline of four months from the iPhone's first launch?

Quote:

Again, the contract is two years long. Two years is not yet up. So how can they possibly have breached the part of the contract that promises features enhancements over a period of time? The period of time is not yet up. Ignoring the fact, of course, that feature updates have already been provided. Did Apple or ATT state anywhere what the feature enhancements would be? No.

It doesn't matter how long the contract is - any party to a contract can breach it's obligations during the term of the contract. The breached party has the ability to seek a rememdy at the time of breach. There is no obligation to wait until the end of the term of the contract.
post #315 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

This is fantastic news. Was waiting for the 8GB model to become more affordable, and it happened much sooner than I expected! I might even be able to justify paying to get out of my T-Mobile contract 9 months early now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigal121892 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnurse View Post

Nice try blaming AT&T. Gotta give you credit though.

Bigal is right, just look at Cory's post quoted above. The "value" issue works both ways. Just as some people who bought it for $600 now think it's only worth $400, some people contemplating it for $400 think it's worth $600. The $200 price drop compensates them for early termination fees and encourages contract-breaking: "A $600 phone for $400? Great. That takes care of the early termination fee."
post #316 of 404
Quote:

It doesn't matter how long the contract is - any party to a contract can breach it's obligations during the term of the contract. The breached party has the ability to seek a rememdy at the time of breach. There is no obligation to wait until the end of the term of the contract.

Of course it matters. There are some clauses that you can tell have been breached before the period is up e.g. if one of the clauses states "we won't slap you in the face with a kipper", then if they do slap you in the face with a kipper, the contract is breached. But if they say "we will provide you with software updates", you cannot say that they haven't provided any if the contract duration is not up yet. Besides that, they have provided software updates so the point is moot and you have no leg to stand on.
post #317 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by tutumiles1 View Post

I supported Apple not because the products only but because I delighted in an American Brand doing great design and creating a community around its products. in essence counter cultural. I thought their marketing ability was excellent and they were an underdog company I wanted to see win. Yes, if they want to behave like all other large entities, they should be treated as such. The $200 only matters to me as principle. I pay lots of money for products I like. Hell, I buy Bang and Olufsen and they are highly overpriced! Apple for me WAS different but they lost me on this move.

Now they are just a company to me whose products I will now buy on price as one does with commodities.

As Apple grows, it needs to rely less on fanboys and more on selling great products at great prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutumiles1 View Post

Anyone want to buy some used Apple Products?

You think you have a personal relationship with Apple, like it is your girlfriend, and she betrayed you, and you are so mad you are packing up all her clothes, hairbrush, books, and petrified snot collection and putting them on the curb?
post #318 of 404
Quote:

If it was worth $599 to you, how have you been ripped off?
So I fail to see how a $200 price reduction, at any point during your ownership, makes any difference.
What is happening here is that with the benefit of hindsight you are wishing you'd waited two months, because two months' usage of an iPhone isn't worth $200 to you.

Hm. You indeed didn't get it... You are stuck in your way of looking at it, and fail to employ a little empathy. Let's give it one more shot, maybe this one works:

So you get married. You know that over a lifetime the appearance of your partner is not going to be as nice as it is right now. A fact of life, totally expected, nothing that wouldn't stop you marrying him/her. You love him/her, right? But then, after only two months, your partner gains 50 percent weight. After two months! And tells you that he/she had planned on doing that from the beginning, since it's more comfortable being fat, and that's just the way marriage works!
Does it matter that your spouse gained that much weight in that short a time? Yes, because it's a slap in your face.
post #319 of 404
Quote:

So you get married. You know that over a lifetime the appearance of your partner is not going to be as nice as it is right now. A fact of life, totally expected, nothing that wouldn't stop you marrying him/her. You love him/her, right? But then, after only two months, your partner gains 50 percent weight. After two months! And tells you that he/she had planned on doing that from the beginning, since it's more comfortable being fat, and that's just the way marriage works!
Does it matter that your spouse gained that much weight in that short a time? Yes, because it's a slap in your face.

How are you enjoying your iPhone any less today than you did 2 days ago, from a functionality and visual standpoint?
post #320 of 404
Quote:

Hm. You indeed didn't get it... You are stuck in your way of looking at it, and fail to employ a little empathy. Let's give it one more shot, maybe this one works:

I empathise with you to the extent that I understand that you might be mad. But I do not sympathise with any feelings that Apple in some way wronged you.

Your example is utterly ridiculous. I say again that your iPhone has not changed in any way. It's the same iPhone you paid $599 for. Sure, you wish you'd only had to pay $399. But then you would have had to wait. Did you wait? No. You chose to spend your $599. If you didn't need the iPhone, why did you buy it?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple slashes 8GB iPhone price to $399, 4GB model to fade