or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Calling all chefs

Calling all chefs

post #1 of 80
So I just got my first enamelled cast iron piece of cookware from Le Creuset made in the northern French town of Fresnoy-Le-Grand. It is their signature "flame" color and I love it. A 4.5 qt round "french oven" or dutch oven as others call them.

So here is the deal, I need your recipes that pertain to braised meals cooked in "french ovens".

I have already braised a 2.5 lb cut of brisket in it with cabernet sauvighon, beef broth, yellow onions sliced thinly after cooking the onions for 10 mins in olive oil left from searing the beef before cooking it for 3 hours at 325 degrees f the first hour 300 degrees f the last two hours and adding carrots, celery and potatoes in the last hour of cooking. The results were perfect.

Some of the things one can cook in this french oven:

http://bostonchef.blogspot.com/2007/...with-root.html

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archive...7pot_roast.php

And a great book for those who love to braise:

http://www.amazon.com/All-About-Brai.../dp/0393052303

Please add your recipes and share your cooking ideas.

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34

post #2 of 80
Oh My! You are a Texan. You are not French. We smoke meet on slow burning fires. We don't braise it in French ovens.
"some catch on faster than others"
post #3 of 80
I don't have a recipe but my wife makes cassoulet in hers from time to time.
post #4 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by southside grabowski View Post

Oh My! You are a Texan. You are not French. We smoke meet on slow burning fires. We don't braise it in French ovens.

One can only eat so much cancer causing smoked foods. One group of carcinogenic substances in smoked and burnt foods, known as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), are produced when organic materials such as food or wood are strongly heated. When wood is burnt, the resulting smoke may contain varying amounts of PAHs. If the smoke is used to preserve or flavour food, some of the PAHs can be absorbed by the food.

PAHs can also be formed when meat is charred during grilling or barbecuing.

Not only that but I am more French than Texan at heart.

Fellows

post #5 of 80
I don't know many French, so I can't comment on that last bit, but I will comment on the concept of buying an $180 pot: American.

I also know that the French get their carcinogens through cigarettes, although I'm told that the French government has been taxing them hard lately to try to ween off the populace.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #6 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

I don't know many French, so I can't comment on that last bit, but I will comment on the concept of buying an $180 pot: American.

I'm going to have to side with Splinemodel, Fellowship -- sometimes the lure isn't meant to catch the fish, but the fisherman. You could have cooked the same meal in a $30 cast iron dutch oven.

Also, you could have saved a TON of energy by using a pressure cooker to produce essentially the same results. (Pépin covers that in his Fast Food My Way series.)

A pressure cooker will also help to keep the kitchen temperature below 90º.

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #7 of 80
I thought Dutch Oven was something else.
post #8 of 80
Buy a tajine: far better taste of food, looks better (less middle class) and is only about 25 bucks - ok, it's Moroccan but it's probably ok because the French ruled there for a bit didn't they?
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #9 of 80
Oh yes. As did every other major European imperialist power...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #10 of 80
You guys are something... You moan about that I could have had a $30 version of what I have. I suppose I could use a cheap PC to browse the net also but I love apple better for many reasons. You moan about that I could use less energy with a pressure cooker...

I know I can save energy with a pressure cooker. I have a great pressure cooker that I use for many meals. BUT I have never had the same result with brisket out of a pressure cooker. I use this pot for more of a weekend meal and what is more is that it provides for wonderful leftovers which taste better than the first day in some cases.

You guys are miserable little people.. To mention that the "French" smoke what does that have to do with anything this thread is about. I simply said that Texas style smoked foods are a little less than healthy and I stand by that. I do eat them from time to time but I also eat much healthier foods most of the time.

Here is a group of people that know how to reply to this subject at hand...

They are more mature and less of a miserable lot of cry babies.

http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php...opic=1720&st=0

The right wingers here at AI are too damn "American centric" and hate others.

The left wingers here at AI seem to want to tell you how to use your energy and how to cook and with what cheap piece of cookware.

I fit neither of the two lame "boxes"

We need in the worst of ways many more moderates here who are level headed.

You all could benefit from not being such negative miserable souls.

Fellows

post #11 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

You guys are something... You moan about that I could have had a $30 version of what I have. I suppose I could use a cheap PC to browse the net also but I love apple better for many reasons. You moan about that I could use less energy with a pressure cooker...

I know I can save energy with a pressure cooker. I have a great pressure cooker that I use for many meals. BUT I have never had the same result with brisket out of a pressure cooker. I use this pot for more of a weekend meal and what is more is that it provides for wonderful leftovers which taste better than the first day in some cases.

You guys are miserable little people.. To mention that the "French" smoke what does that have to do with anything this thread is about. I simply said that Texas style smoked foods are a little less than healthy and I stand by that. I do eat them from time to time but I also eat much healthier foods most of the time.

The left wingers here at AI seem to want to tell you how to use your energy and how to cook and with what cheap piece of cookware.

Fellows

You should still get a tajine though.

There are many amazing dishes you can't cook in anything else....

Btw, I have some great soup recipes if you like soup - would work well in your Creuset
post #12 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

You should still get a tajine though.

There are many amazing dishes you can't cook in anything else....

Btw, I have some great soup recipes if you like soup - would work well in your Creuset

Sorry for my little rant but sometimes I wonder what has happened to people at AI.

I think the tajines would be an interesting way to cook with. But if you have any dishes you can share for either method I would be thankful. That was the purpose of this thread which has gone all over the place.

Thanks segovius,

Fellows

post #13 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

What I mean is that I appreciate classic traditional French foods and the French do from my experience have a high set of standards in how they prepare a meal and with what ingredients they use. Now I like many types of food including indian, chinese, japanese, italian, french, New England foods, southern comfort foods, mexican, southwestern foods, and the list goes on.

Being that I don't just eat peanut butter sandwhiches I sometimes purchase a new item for the kitchen from time to time and when I do I usually get a quality piece and do it right the first time. You have to realize I am a trader and invester and I look at things through investment eyes. I bought this item as I knew it would be used by me and my family for decades and I appreciate the piece more than some $30 alternative or I would not have bought it thank you very much. I have other nice tools in the kitchen like for example a KitchenAid stand mixer and it is used often by me and my family to make homemade items as opossed to store bought junk with additives and cottenseed oils etc. So I really don't see the need for you to take on the role of being my nanny and telling me what I should and should not do with my earnings.

Retail price was around $180 as you love to make note of. But I never pay retail for anything and that included this purchase. Thank you for your concern....

Fellows

post #14 of 80
Quote:

Sorry for my little rant but sometimes I wonder what has happened to people at AI.

I think the tajines would be an interesting way to cook with. But if you have any dishes you can share for either method I would be thankful. That was the purpose of this thread which has gone all over the place.

Thanks segovius,

Fellows

Cheers

The great thing about a tajine is the conical dome and the terracotta - it absorbs the steam (and the spices) which gather at the top of the dome until they drop back down over the dish. Over a few hours on a very low flame this can impart an amazing flavour.

Once I had a lemon chicken in the Middle East that was cooked in a tajine that was buried in the desert sand for 24 hours! Was amazing! i have a recipe for this for normal cooking...not as good but still mindblowing...

Maybe you do need terracotta for this though - perhaps your Crueset is more suitable for slow dishes like coq au vin etc.

If you like chicken I have a recipe we eat a lot here in Barcelona: Pollo al Ajillo (Chicken with garlic). It's not quite slow cooking but tastes amazing.

Ingredients

1 Organic chicken - jointed into 8 pieces, leave skin on.
Arbequina olive oil
2 garlic BULBS
6 fresh bay leaves
200ml dry white wine or Fino sherry
100ml water
sea salt

Method

The secret of this dish is to get the chicken juices to emulsify with the garlic/oil.

Season chicken with sea salt and pepper.
Heat the oil in the pan and when hot throw in all the garlic cloves in their skins - fry until golden.
Remove with spoon and add chicken pieces in batches...fry for 3 mins either side until golden brown.
Put the garlic back in and add bay leaves and wine. Here you should shake the pan so the juices emulsify with the oil.
Simmer (lid off) for 2 mins to evaporate some alcohol and turn chicken as you do so.
Then stir in water and cover with lid - 4 mins.
Take out breast meat and set aside ...leave the rest in.
Simmer for 10 mins more with lid on.
Add breast meet back for a min or so and add water if too dry..season if you like...

Serve immediately!
post #15 of 80
One other thing: I think that a brilliant (and cheap) French wine for cooking chicken in is Corbieres.....

Just bung a chicken in the pot with garlic, shallots and bay and pour in a whole bottle. Can't go wrong!
post #16 of 80
Quote:

Cheers

The great thing about a tajine is the conical dome and the terracotta - it absorbs the steam (and the spices) which gather at the top of the dome until they drop back down over the dish. Over a few hours on a very low flame this can impart an amazing flavour.

Once I had a lemon chicken in the Middle East that was cooked in a tajine that was buried in the desert sand for 24 hours! Was amazing! i have a recipe for this for normal cooking...not as good but still mindblowing...

Maybe you do need terracotta for this though - perhaps your Crueset is more suitable for slow dishes like coq au vin etc.

If you like chicken I have a recipe we eat a lot here in Barcelona: Pollo al Ajillo (Chicken with garlic). It's not quite slow cooking but tastes amazing.

Ingredients

1 Organic chicken - jointed into 8 pieces, leave skin on.
Arbequina olive oil
2 garlic BULBS
6 fresh bay leaves
200ml dry white wine or Fino sherry
100ml water
sea salt

Method

The secret of this dish is to get the chicken juices to emulsify with the garlic/oil.

Season chicken with sea salt and pepper.
Heat the oil in the pan and when hot throw in all the garlic cloves in their skins - fry until golden.
Remove with spoon and add chicken pieces in batches...fry for 3 mins either side until golden brown.
Put the garlic back in and add bay leaves and wine. Here you should shake the pan so the juices emulsify with the oil.
Simmer (lid off) for 2 mins to evaporate some alcohol and turn chicken as you do so.
Then stir in water and cover with lid - 4 mins.
Take out breast meat and set aside ...leave the rest in.
Simmer for 10 mins more with lid on.
Add breast meet back for a min or so and add water if too dry..season if you like...

Serve immediately!

That problem with that, segovius, is if Fellowship gets caught with a canoun (or couscous for that matter) in Texas, he's looking at doing hard time.

post #17 of 80
Thanks segovious, Sounds great.

Fellows

post #18 of 80
Okay, sorry, I'm on a roll. here's a great soup for when it gets colder.

Chestnut and Chorizo Soup

Ingredients

4 tablespoons olive oil

1 large Spanish onion, diced

1 medium carrot, diced

1 celery stick, thinly sliced

120g mild cooking chorizo, cut into 1cm cubes

2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 ½ teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves

2 small dried red chillies, crushed

2 tomatoes, fresh or tinned, roughly chopped

500g cooked peeled chestnuts (fresh or vacuum packed), roughly chopped

20 saffron threads, infused in 3-4 tablespoons boiling water

1 litre water

sea salt and black pepper

Method

In the saucepan heat the oil over a medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, chorizo and a pinch of salt and fry for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until everything caramelises and turns quite brown. This gives the soup a wonderfully rich colour and taste. Now add the garlic, cumin, thyme and chilli and cook for 1 more minute, followed by the tomato and, after about 2 minutes, the chestnuts. Give everything a good stir, then add the saffron infused liquid, and the water, and simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and mash by hand (with a potato masher) until almost sooth but sill with a little bit of texture. Season with salt and pepper.

Serve with hot bread - preferably sourdough and pref homemade!
post #19 of 80
Quote:

One other thing: I think that a brilliant (and cheap) French wine for cooking chicken in is Corbieres.....

Just bung a chicken in the pot with garlic, shallots and bay and pour in a whole bottle. Can't go wrong!

Let's not forget the yams and mushrooms.

Also, where are you finding halal Chorizo?

post #20 of 80
Quote:

Okay, sorry, I'm on a roll. here's a great soup for when it gets colder.

Don't be sorry,

The more you post the more notes I am taking.

Fellows

post #21 of 80
Quote:

Don't be sorry,

The more you post the more notes I am taking.

Fellows

Cheers, let me know if you attempt any!

I guess you need to love garlic for that chicken one....
post #22 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmz View Post

Let's not forget the yams and mushrooms.

Also, where are you finding halal Chorizo?

Sssshhh.......

Ears are everywhere...

post #23 of 80
Quote:

Cheers, let me know if you attempt any!

I guess you need to love garlic for that chicken one....

You can count on me trying them and I do like garlic quite well.

Fellows

post #24 of 80
Quote:

You can count on me trying them and I do like garlic quite well.

Fellows

Well, someone once told me to never peel garlic ever - always fry in the skin. It really enfuses the oil and prevents burning...the garlic tastes sweeter too that way.

You need the right garlic though...many in the markets here are quite mild now. I think they have done something to them.
post #25 of 80
Quote:

Well, someone once told me to never peel garlic ever - always fry in the skin. It really enfuses the oil and prevents burning...the garlic tastes sweeter too that way.

You need the right garlic though...many in the markets here are quite mild now. I think they have done something to them.

Take a look at this seg,

http://www.chef2chef.net/news/club/v...vice-daily.htm

Fellows

post #26 of 80
Quote:

Take a look at this seg,

http://www.chef2chef.net/news/club/v...vice-daily.htm

Fellows

Ah, ok! I never knew that! They are milder if you leave them whole....

It's amazing the subtleties that we just gloss over in cooking these days isn't it?

I was speaking to a brilliant Indian chef once about the dish called Do-Piazza (ie 2 onions) and why it is called that....he said that you fry half the onions in the oil and cook all the other ingredients but you add the other half of the onions 40 minutes into the cooking.

The point is that people in India have a palette that can discern the tastes of the two differently cooked onions!

Sometimes I think it is very sad the way we regard food and tastes in the West - often we do not even know what we have lost in terms of these skills and tastes.....
post #27 of 80
Quote:

Ah, ok! I never knew that! They are milder if you leave them whole....

It's amazing the subtleties that we just gloss over in cooking these days isn't it?

I was speaking to a brilliant Indian chef once about the dish called Do-Piazza (ie 2 onions) and why it is called that....he said that you fry half the onions in the oil and cook all the other ingredients but you add the other half of the onions 40 minutes into the cooking.

The point is that people in India have a palette that can discern the tastes of the two differently cooked onions!

Sometimes I think it is very sad the way we regard food and tastes in the West - often we do not even know what we have lost in terms of these skills and tastes.....

Indeed, It is harder to be a food connessiur in an ocean of uninterested masses who settle for what ever instead of having a passion like us foodies.

Fellows

post #28 of 80

post #29 of 80
Quote:

Fellows

Don't take it so seriously Fellows, we dont.
post #30 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by southside grabowski View Post

Don't take it so seriously Fellows, we dont.

LOL You are a hoot !

I do enjoy a good post!

I owe you actually for the little bits of laughter I get out of your posts from time to time. I am still trying to grasp more knowledge around the methods of your complex humor.

But what do I know

Fellows

post #31 of 80
It all looks good to me. Fellowship instead of criticizing your cooking techniques or enegry use, I just want to know when dinner is being served and if I am invited.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #32 of 80
Quote:

I'm going to have to side with Splinemodel, Fellowship -- sometimes the lure isn't meant to catch the fish, but the fisherman.

Never eat fishermen. Too fatty.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #33 of 80
Quote:

Fellows

They're just crabby about the iPhone price drop... move along.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #34 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

It all looks good to me. Fellowship instead of criticizing your cooking techniques or enegry use, I just want to know when dinner is being served and if I am invited.

Nick

Nick you should have been here a few nights ago... You missed out and you are always welcome ay my home.

Fellows

post #35 of 80
I don't mean to rag on you Fellowship -- I picked up a couple of Viking pans a couple of months back, and yep -- they are regular hot rods when it comes to performance. But in the end I probably could have gotten 99% of their performance from much more reasonably priced units. A Cusinart would have probably been just fine -- but I "just had to have" those Vikings.

We all from time to time fall into that American trap -- something along the lines of trying to buying our way to sophistication.

post #36 of 80
Quote:

I don't mean to rag on you Fellowship -- I picked up a couple of Viking pans a couple of months back, and yep -- they are regular hot rods when it comes to performance. But in the end I probably could have gotten 99% of their performance from much more reasonably priced units. A Cusinart would have probably been just fine -- but I "just had to have" those Vikings.

We all from time to time fall into that American trap -- something along the lines of trying to buying our way to sophistication.

I was sold on Le Creuset when I had a pork tenderloin cooked from one at my grandmothers sisters home last Christmas. I asked her about hers and she has had it for years. She is 80 going on 60. One of the most well traveled cool women I have met at age 80. She is not what you think of when you think 80. She seems more like 60 and she is one of the most positive people I know. But the food sold me. I asked her how she did it and she made it sound so simple... Ohh hon you just put it in there and .....

Sure I could have bought something cheaper but something cheaper is not what I was in the market for nor should it be any of your concern what I spend more on and spend less on in my day to day. I am one of the cheapest people you can find but when it comes to certain things I spend more.

It is NONE of your business.

Can we let this die now? or will I forever be a wreckless snooty spender in your unforgiving projection of me?

Fellows

post #37 of 80
Quote:

I was sold on Le Creuset when I had a pork tenderloin cooked from one at my grandmothers sisters home last Christmas. I asked her about hers and she has had it for years. She is 80 going on 60. One of the most well traveled cool women I have met at age 80. She is not what you think of when you think 80. She seems more like 60 and she is one of the most positive people I know. But the food sold me. I asked her how she did it and she made it sound so simple... Ohh hon you just put it in there and .....

Sure I could have bought something cheaper but something cheaper is not what I was in the market for nor should it be any of your concern what I spend more on and spend less on in my day to day. I am one of the cheapest people you can find but when it comes to certain things I spend more.

It is NONE of your business.

Can we let this die now? or will I forever be a wreckless snooty spender in your unforgiving projection of me?

Fellows

mmmmm.... that's not my point, though. There are people dying of starvation in this world and somehow I needed a $285 saucepan?

Seemed a little phony in retrospect.

post #38 of 80
Quote:

mmmmm.... that's not my point, though. There are people dying of starvation in this world and somehow I needed a $285 saucepan?

Fellowships's Crueset would cost have only a third of that though - at least here in Europe it would.
post #39 of 80
Quote:

I don't know about you but I don't have anything near a $285 saucepan. Not only that but since you bring it up I quite enjoy giving to organizations which support people who live with really hard living conditions. I give to Life Today for the purpose of bringing clean drinking water to those who have filthy water or none near by. I make microloans through Kiva to people who have little access to credit otherwise in poorer areas. I am not going to list things I do as I don't believe I do anything rather God who is due all glory is the one who blesses.

http://www.lifetoday.org/site/PageSe...ename=dnt_home

http://www.kiva.org/

I think we have to make decisions as how to manage our resources and we each have differing formulations as to what is a good investment and what is a poor choice in resource management. In my history personally I have learned the hard way when I try to do something the "cheap way" in some cases. For example It cost me about $10,000 when I put in a cheaper septic tank system on a home I built. I had to warranty that poor choice and it cost me for taking the "cheaper path" in the end it cost me more.

I have learned from buying cheap vacuum cleaners that they do not hold up. I have had troulble with a cheap $80 Bissell that is worthless now. I think I got 6 months out of it filters clog in a bad way. I have had the same problem with two other vacuum cleaners one a cheap Eureka and one a cheap Dirt Devil.

Had I had it all over to do I would have bypassed all the cheap vacuums and gone straight with an Oreck which actually does cost at least 3x as much but I have found through other people I know that they hold up very well over the long haul and they do what they are designed to do.

So you can try to make me feel guilty with my choices all day long heck you could spend years on such a venture if you like but I make my choices and you make yours.

We each live with our choices.

What have you done for poor people?

Fellows

post #40 of 80
Quote:

I don't know about you but I don't have anything near a $285 saucepan. Not only that but since you bring it up I quite enjoy giving to organizations which support people who live with really hard living conditions. I give to Life Today for the purpose of bringing clean drinking water to those who have filthy water or none near by. I make microloans through Kiva to people who have little access to credit otherwise in poorer areas. I am not going to list things I do as I don't believe I do anything rather God who is due all glory is the one who blesses.

http://www.lifetoday.org/site/PageSe...ename=dnt_home

http://www.kiva.org/

I think we have to make decisions as how to manage our resources and we each have differing formulations as to what is a good investment and what is a poor choice in resource management. In my history personally I have learned the hard way when I try to do something the "cheap way" in some cases. For example It cost me about $10,000 when I put in a cheaper septic tank system on a home I built. I had to warranty that poor choice and it cost me for taking the "cheaper path" in the end it cost me more.

I have learned from buying cheap vacuum cleaners that they do not hold up. I have had troulble with a cheap $80 Bissell that is worthless now. I think I got 6 months out of it filters clog in a bad way. I have had the same problem with two other vacuum cleaners one a cheap Eureka and one a cheap Dirt Devil.

Had I had it all over to do I would have bypassed all the cheap vacuums and gone straight with an Oreck which actually does cost at least 3x as much but I have found through other people I know that they hold up very well over the long haul and they do what they are designed to do.

So you can try to make me feel guilty with my choices all day long heck you could spend years on such a venture if you like but I make my choices and you make yours.

We each live with our choices.

What have you done for poor people?

Fellows

No one is trying to make you feel guilty -- remember what Eleanor Roosevelt said about people who fixate their discussions on other people and not ideas.

My point -- one more time -- is that Americans tend to get caught up some fairly bourgeois, if not downright effete buying habits, and that needn't be if people were focused solely on what was necessary to do the job.

As to what I have done for poor people, I give, not loan, roughly 3-4% of my yearly gross to poor. That doesn't include the 10% of my gross that I give, not loan, to various Church and nonprofit entities.

I'd suggest lightening up, taking a few steps back, and be willing to kick around the idea, see Matthew 19:16-30. We are all guilty of what I'm talking about to one degree or another.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Calling all chefs