or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › High-quality unboxing photos of Apple's new iPod classic

High-quality unboxing photos of Apple's new iPod classic

post #1 of 35
Arriving alongside the new iPod nano at Apple retail stores on Thursday afternoon were the first shipments of the company's old-school, yet refreshed iPod classic player. Unboxing shots of a 160GB grey model follow.
post #2 of 35
Than god! I was fearful that if was going to be just a plastic container and lots of strofoam!
post #3 of 35
Those pictures are crap the angles are too high so there is too much reflection to see any detail!
Switched permenantly! 12/08/2006
Unibody MacBook Pro ▪ 2.66Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo ▪ 4Gb Ram ▪ 500Gb 7200rpm HD ▪ Geforce 9600M GT ▪ Wireless Mighty Mouse ▪ Silver iPod Classic 160GB ▪ Black iPhone 3GS...
Unibody MacBook Pro ▪ 2.66Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo ▪ 4Gb Ram ▪ 500Gb 7200rpm HD ▪ Geforce 9600M GT ▪ Wireless Mighty Mouse ▪ Silver iPod Classic 160GB ▪ Black iPhone 3GS...
post #4 of 35
Dock has a dark circle in front. Is that some kind of light indicator, a sensor or a big fat fly?
post #5 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

Dock has a dark circle in front. Is that some kind of light indicator, a sensor or a big fat fly?

Erm where have you been? thats the IR sensor!
post #6 of 35
So the iPod comes with a dock with an IR sensor? THAT'S new. And big news. Does the dock also do video out?
post #7 of 35
Today I went to Bic Camera (I live in Tokyo) and tried hands-on two iPod classics and one iPod nano fatty. On all three, the new UI was so slow and choppy, to me, it was unusable. Especially on the classics, the scroll wheel was slippery and often didn't register the motions of my (clean) thumb. Then when it did, when scrolling through the "Settings" menu, the highlighted functions could not be scrolled through one-by-one because of the lag in the UI, the highlighted function as I scrolled down or up would skip 2 or 3 or more items!

There wasn't a single song, video, or photo loaded on any of the 3 iPods, which was annoying. But, if even the small and light-graphics Settings menu can't be scrolled through in any usable way, how will Cover Flow work or other super long lists of songs?

I would very much like to know if anyone else thought the UI on the classics was too slow and laggy.

Jason
15" Core i7 2.66GHZ MacBook Pro (non-glare), 500GB 7200rpm, 16GB iPhone 4, 80gb 5.5G iPod, Airport Express, 24" Dell 2407WFP-HC
15" Core i7 2.66GHZ MacBook Pro (non-glare), 500GB 7200rpm, 16GB iPhone 4, 80gb 5.5G iPod, Airport Express, 24" Dell 2407WFP-HC
post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj21ya View Post

So the iPod comes with a dock with an IR sensor? THAT'S new. And big news. Does the dock also do video out?

The IR sensor is not new.

The video out, I believe, is new.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #9 of 35
Looking at the last photo, it's nice to Apple upgrading their "status" imagery ("Connected Eject Before Disconnecting"). Much nicer than the old ones. Love all these "little" details. Nice job Apple!
post #10 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollin3k View Post

Today I went to Bic Camera (I live in Tokyo) and tried hands-on two iPod classics and one iPod nano fatty. On all three, the new UI was so slow and choppy, to me, it was unusable. Especially on the classics, the scroll wheel was slippery and often didn't register the motions of my (clean) thumb. Then when it did, when scrolling through the "Settings" menu, the highlighted functions could not be scrolled through one-by-one because of the lag in the UI, the highlighted function as I scrolled down or up would skip 2 or 3 or more items!

There wasn't a single song, video, or photo loaded on any of the 3 iPods, which was annoying. But, if even the small and light-graphics Settings menu can't be scrolled through in any usable way, how will Cover Flow work or other super long lists of songs?

I would very much like to know if anyone else thought the UI on the classics was too slow and laggy.

Jason

I thought the same about the iPod Video (5th gen), that is the main reason I bought my iPod (4th gen) in the first place. \
post #11 of 35
Awesome, GREY is the new White!

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #12 of 35
Wow, that's beautiful.

And they wonder why we're so enchanted by Apple and its products.

When you do shit that looks this good--and makes looking good seem so easy--you have no choice but to want to pick it up, to caress it, to fondle it, to stick your...well, you know what I mean.

For those that don't understand, go play with your clunky Archos.
post #13 of 35
why the picture on the BOX looks different from the iPod itself? am i missing something?

how did this color mismatch happened in Macworld?

apple better replace the pictures in the box and website, it does NOT simply represents the GREY iPod!

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj21ya View Post

So the iPod comes with a dock with an IR sensor? THAT'S new.

No its not new, and no the iPod does not come with a dock at all. That dock is sold separately and has been available since the 5G iPod came out.

Quote:
And big news. Does the dock also do video out?

The iPod has done video out since the 5G. The big news is that the iPod Classic does progressive scan output (480p) with component cables, the 5G iPod only does 480i.
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Arriving alongside the new iPod nano at Apple retail stores on Thursday afternoon were the first shipments of the company's old-school, yet refreshed iPod classic player. Unboxing shots of a 160GB grey model follow.

What's with the low-quality advert for (dare I type it?) ZUNE in the midst of this
splendour?

Nice design on the Classic. I like to carry all my music all the time, so I'm
seriously on the verge of replacing my 60GB iPod Photo (remember those?) with
one of these.

I have yet to see really well-done macro photography on one of these unboxings,
though.
Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know; the rest is propaganda.
-Horacio Verbitsky (el perro), journalist (b. 1942)
Journalism is publishing what someone doesn't want us to know; the rest is propaganda.
-Horacio Verbitsky (el perro), journalist (b. 1942)
post #16 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

why the picture on the BOX looks different from the iPod itself? am i missing something?

how did this color mismatch happened in Macworld?

apple better replace the pictures in the box and website, it does NOT simply represents the GREY iPod!

Not just the color, the texture is very poorly represented on that box too. Maybe my texture complaint is a little off because it's a photo of a print of a photo of the product, but still, it would seem like they'd handle that a little better.
post #17 of 35
I think the split screen UI is kind of ugly

I would have prefered somethink more similar to the iphone squares, they're much more pleasing to the eye
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Not just the color, the texture is very poorly represented on that box too. Maybe my texture complaint is a little off because it's a photo of a print of a photo of the product, but still, it would seem like they'd handle that a little better.

yep, the texture as well.

I had like to see iPod nano as well, it could be the same reason, they look different from what they are (except the RED, RED is not really red)

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #19 of 35
For some reason I'm seeing Zune ads by the iPod...
Really, AppleInsider, you can do better.
post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

The iPod has done video out since the 5G. The big news is that the iPod Classic does progressive scan output (480p) with component cables, the 5G iPod only does 480i.

Not that I don't believe you, but where did you hear/read this? I can't find that anywhere on the Classic's tech specs page on Apple.com.
27" 3.06 GHz iMac

16 GB iPhone 4
80 GB iPod Classic
1 GB 2nd Gen iPod Shuffle

Apple TV (2nd gen)
Apple TV (1st gen 40 GB)
AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11n)
27" 3.06 GHz iMac

16 GB iPhone 4
80 GB iPod Classic

Apple TV (2nd gen)
Apple TV (1st gen 40 GB)
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetzel1517 View Post

Not that I don't believe you, but where did you hear/read this? I can't find that anywhere on the Classic's tech specs page on Apple.com.

He read this here.
post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by EruIthildur View Post

For some reason I'm seeing Zune ads by the iPod...
Really, AppleInsider, you can do better.

Do you have a problem with Microsoft footing the bill for us to be able to read a Mac web page for free?
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanthohappy View Post

He read this here.

Whoa!!
That's very interesting...
"Note: Component video output to television is supported by iPod nano (third generation) and iPod classic at 480p or 576p resolution, and by iPod touch at 480i or 576i resolution."

I wonder why the Touch has lower output specs than even the Chubbie.

I hadn't really intended to output to TV, but it raises the question.
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Whoa!!
That's very interesting...
"Note: Component video output to television is supported by iPod nano (third generation) and iPod classic at 480p or 576p resolution, and by iPod touch at 480i or 576i resolution."

I wonder why the Touch has lower output specs than even the Chubbie.

I hadn't really intended to output to TV, but it raises the question.

Indeed. It's a shame that it probably only exports video when it's actually playing video, because I would love to just hook the iPod up to the TV and have its screen on my TV even when I'm just listening to music. Though I guess that's what the Apple TV is for (but not for me, until there's some HD content for it).
27" 3.06 GHz iMac

16 GB iPhone 4
80 GB iPod Classic

Apple TV (2nd gen)
Apple TV (1st gen 40 GB)
27" 3.06 GHz iMac

16 GB iPhone 4
80 GB iPod Classic

Apple TV (2nd gen)
Apple TV (1st gen 40 GB)
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Do you have a problem with Microsoft footing the bill for us to be able to read a Mac web page for free?

Yes we do.
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

Yes we do.

I don't.
And it's pretty.
Although I miss the plastic.
But I'm sure plastic is out.
It represents Apple Computer, Inc.

Brushed Aluminum represents Apple, Inc.
Welcome to the new Apple, ladies and gentlemen.
BAM!
post #27 of 35
Ho-hum.

post #28 of 35
i need to see one in person. those pictures dont make that metal look that attractive.

i also agree with those that say the new UI isn't so great. i really don't care that much about album covers.

i like that they've up the storage to 80gigs. that'll be nice when my 30gig dies. for now, i really dont see any point in upgrading until the one i have dies.
post #29 of 35
I can't see the pictures. Do you have a link to them?
post #30 of 35
I stopped at my Apple store today and played with the new nano and classic.

The nano is amazingly thin and small. It's a little Video Chiclet for your pocket. I was amazed. The click-wheel seemed a little small.

I've been lukewarm about the new iMac, but aluminum on the nano and classic just has an uncomfortable look. The classic especially looks like an iPod with a stamped slab of metal slapped on the front. The edges and seams bother me. The slight bulging roundness of the face isn't as natural compared to the plastic egg-iness of the original iPod or even the oval curves of the 2G nano. I really appreciated the beauty of how the iPod had evolved into a glassy flat surface, with a seamless screen. This seemed the epitome of minimalism.

Though beautiful, the new split-screen view feels a bit claustrophobic.

Is the click-wheel center button smaller than it used to be?

The stainless backs actually were a nice familiarity, even if at odds with the alum. fronts.

I truly am a lust-filled fan-boy, but these designs feel forced, less simple and clean, and left me wishing I had bought a white 5.5 when I had the chance.

post #31 of 35
lol @ the Zune ads. 200 bucks for 30GB? It's only 250 for 80 GB Classic.

Can MS afford to lose even more money on the Zune? Otherwise, I expect that their near-zero sales just became actually-zero. :0
post #32 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan View Post

Those pictures are crap the angles are too high so there is too much reflection to see any detail!

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. To be honest, I took the photos fairly quickly and I'm still (obviously) learning about photography.

Must book myself in to some courses when I have the time!

James.
post #33 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR XR5 View Post

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. To be honest, I took the photos fairly quickly and I'm still (obviously) learning about photography.

Must book myself in to some courses when I have the time!

James.

Hmm, the story didn't credit the photographer.

For what it's worth, I thought the pictures were nice. I went back and there weren't a whole lot of photos with the reflection. There's enough there to get an honest feel of what it looks like.
post #34 of 35
The pics aren't that great, but it appears it's got a sort of cool "industrial" look to it. And it's probably just the pics, but the display looks matte rather than glossy. I'm taking a look tomorrow; till then the jury's still out....
post #35 of 35
I want to like the iPod classic for its storage but I'm not completely liking the texture on the metal. It reminds me of the small Sony Cybershot cameras, in that it looks cool except for that texture. If its aluminum was just like the nano's I'd get it in a heartbeat. I think I just might get the Touch or an iPhone instead.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › High-quality unboxing photos of Apple's new iPod classic