or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Led Zep Reunion

Led Zep Reunion

post #1 of 15
I'm there....

Anyone else going?

The ONE reunion in the current lame spate of them to actually be worth it.....

People reckon they can't cut it anymore and it will be a let down but I can guarantee this will not be the case....
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

I'm there....

Anyone else going?

People reckon they can't cut it anymore and it will be a let down but I can guarantee this will not be the case....

even if they were all too old to play and just rolled their wheelchairs on stage together and hummed on kazoo's i'd love to see the show. unfortunately the lucky ones will be in England... enjoy!
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #3 of 15

Too bad I won't be able to make the trip across the pond to see them!

And Jason Bonham? Nice touch...

A co-worker of mine back in the 90's got to see the Page and Plant tour, he said it rocked, and that 'Jimmy Page is the greatest guitarist who ever lived'. Before he saw them live he used to call Page over-rated.
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #4 of 15
Quote:

I'm there....

Anyone else going?

Wow. What a coincidence. I am ripping the Mini LP version of In Through the Out Door as I read this!!!

I now have three Zep mini LPs and I hope to collect them all. I just love the concept.

Can't afford to go to the UK.
post #5 of 15
Meh...

They were superb studio wizards. Horribly sloppy on stage. I was a big fan of LZ back in the day. Even bought tickets to see them in 1979. Bonham died though. I had bootlegs of their concerts and have seen the live DVD stuff too. They were not extremely good live. They had their good times and bad times, I guess.

See them now? Forget it. Give me Lez Zeppelin.
post #6 of 15
There's a certain radio station (not mentioning names) here in L.A. that plays Led Zeppelin tunes more than almost any other band out there.. they should be called KLED. These tunes are from 30+ years back; I guess that's what makes "classic" rock. I spend a large portion of yesterday in the car, snagged in horrendous traffic.. and I heard "Kashmir" (or parts of it!) at 3 different times in the day. It's a great song... but..

I wonder if a reformed LZ can apply musical integrity, reinvent itself, break new ground, without being bothered about alienating some old fans in the process, while possibly gaining a horde of new ones, and thus firing up a quiescent career? (Some old favorites as encores would be OK)...

or... will they be a predictable, "cover band" of the old material? One easy guess......

A reformed Led Zeppelin could be an "ouch".... but not half as cringeworthy as witnessing Sir Michael Philip Jagger, arch-conformist establishment icon performing "I can't get no Satisfaction", or in a similar vein, John Ashcroft singing "Let the Eagle Soar".....

*eep*
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Meh...

They were superb studio wizards. Horribly sloppy on stage. I was a big fan of LZ back in the day. Even bought tickets to see them in 1979. Bonham died though. I had bootlegs of their concerts and have seen the live DVD stuff too. They were not extremely good live. They had their good times and bad times, I guess.

I've noticed that too. I liked them when I was in high school, and I remember hearing a live album for the first time ("The Song Remains the Same" maybe?), and thinking it was terrible.
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

A reformed Led Zeppelin could be an "ouch"....

Plant and Page have been doing some pretty credible solo stuff recently...not commercial so I guess it's horses for courses....
post #9 of 15
Quote:

Plant and Page have been doing some pretty credible solo stuff recently...not commercial so I guess it's horses for courses....

Solo, they are less shackled to the expectations of a Led Zeppelin audience, than if they were playing a reformed Led Zeppelin itself.

The only show I have ever seen by an ex-member of Led Zeppelin was when I was offered a free ticket to see John Paul Jones in 2001 at the Universal Amphitheater (in LA). I was offered the ticket by a friend who was unable to see the show. I was in two minds as to whether to waste an evening watching a bunch of washed-out old men playing the blues....omg!! how wrong I was. Jones was promoting his "Zooma" album (which I went and bought right after the show, excellent it is too), and a stunning live show it was too, and with little Zeppelin content. It didn't need it. Btw... he was the opener for "King Crimson", there's was a show that left a really lasting impression on me... some truly scary, beautiful music, from the most violent metal imaginable to quiet ambient sound pictures.
post #10 of 15
May not be as easy as I thought to get tickets...more than 20,000,000 people have applied!!!

Still, it's a lottery so you never know...they are 125 GBP - what do you reckon they will be going for on ebay?

You can register here if anyone's interested....
post #11 of 15
Well, as of today, I now have 8 of the 9 studio albums in "mini LP" format. 7 Japanese and one German edition.

I have:

Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin II
Led Zeppelin III
(Led Zeppelin IV)
Houses of the Holy
Presence
In Through the Out Door
Coda

Only missing Physical Graffiti

When I was a kid my sister played "Stairway to Heaven" to me. Backwards, of course!

But the first Zep album I found and fell in love with (it was a review copy my dad took home from his job at the newspaper long before I found it) was Presence. Achilles' Last Stand had me hooked. Bought the 4-disc boxed set on CD when it first came out. Also bought Box Set 2 which completed all the studio recordings. Too bad about disc-rot. :'(
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I've noticed that too. I liked them when I was in high school, and I remember hearing a live album for the first time ("The Song Remains the Same" maybe?), and thinking it was terrible.

The Song Remains the Same is a notoriously crappy performance by them.

Zeppelin live was awesome. Song Remains the Same... not so much.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Well, as of today, I now have 8 of the 9 studio albums in "mini LP" format. 7 Japanese and one German edition.

I have:

Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin II
Led Zeppelin III
(Led Zeppelin IV)
Houses of the Holy
Presence
In Through the Out Door
Coda

Only missing Physical Graffiti

When I was a kid my sister played "Stairway to Heaven" to me. Backwards, of course!

But the first Zep album I found and fell in love with (it was a review copy my dad took home from his job at the newspaper long before I found it) was Presence. Achilles' Last Stand had me hooked. Bought the 4-disc boxed set on CD when it first came out. Also bought Box Set 2 which completed all the studio recordings. Too bad about disc-rot. :'(

Physical Graffiti is their greatest imo....
post #14 of 15
Quote:

Physical Graffiti is their greatest imo....

I liked that one too, but after hearing Kashmir on the radio for the billionth time, I couldn't even play the albums anymore.

I love Presence. Maybe because it's their most underrated album. But I have good memories from the year (it was Summer '77-'78? if I recall) I listened to that album. Around this time I was slowly migrating to Punk too.

Yeah, yeah...get off my lawn, etc..
post #15 of 15
It's been postponed
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Led Zep Reunion