or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple UK to host special (iPhone?) event next week

Apple UK to host special (iPhone?) event next week - Page 2

post #41 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If I buy a 3G iPhone in the UK on the 18th will it work with 3G carrier AT&T or T-Mobile in the US? Id est, do the 3G bands differ across the pond?

AT&T & Rogers: 850/1900 MHz

T-Mobile 1700/2100 MHz (not compatible with normal 2100 MHz)

Telstra (Australia) 850/2100 MHz.

Everybody else: 2100 MHz.

Quote:

I guess what I'm asking are there 3G chips that will cover all N. American and EU frequencies. I think this would be in Apple's best interest.

Most 3G phones use either a 2100MHz chipset or a 850/1900MHz chipset. Note that that leaves both T-Mobile and Telstra somewhat out in the cold, although tri-band chips will bring Telstra back in.

Speaking of tri-band chips they do exist, but in size and power consumption are not yet ready for prime time.

Hence any current 3G iPhone would require at least two models: one for Europe, one for North America (and likely one for Japan, given market requirements, although they get Rev. B of the European 3G iPhone).

I stand by my thoughts that a European 3G iPhone in October and a North American 3G iPhone in late November (FCC approval lag) would be the best way to go in terms of long-term strategy.

Quote:

Hve we forgottten that there was a ban on Qualcomm chip in hte US. Could have played into the severe price drop.

Apple recently signed a deal with InterDigital, who are most notably not Qualcomm.
post #42 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Monk View Post

I stand by my thoughts that a European 3G iPhone in October and a North American 3G iPhone in late November (FCC approval lag) would be the best way to go in terms of long-term strategy.

Ditto!
16gig iPhone at the same time as well.
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
MacPro 12 core
post #43 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugy View Post

Well Apple can hold off a bit the release of 3G maybe until December or at MWSF and they can always say that AT&T finally improved their 3G network and blah, blah, blah and here is the iPhone 3G for the USA. The "second wave of suckers" like you said would not have too much leverage to complain.

I don't think Apple can wait that long.

The Euro launch is November, allegedly. If there's a 3G model in the Euro lineup at launch, then everyone in the US market sees that, and many will be waiting for an announcement regarding a US 3G iPhone before they buy. Sales slow lots, right in time for holiday season. Ugh.

So if there is going to be a 3G model in the Euro launch lineup, best thing Apple can do is to immediately spell out their US 3G plans, at the same time they announce or launch the Euro lineup. As in, "Yeah, we're gonna have a US 3G iPhone real soon. But it's gonna cost 600 bucks."

Then all the price-sensitive folks just shrug and buy the 2.5 model for $400 during the holidays, and those who must have 3G wait.

Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
post #44 of 80
I think you all are reading into "mum" too much. All it means it that they are going to be unleashing an iPhone in Europe and you're all just going to have to be patient and not get your hopes up. We've been waiting how long for iChat? for 3rd party apps? And what did they give us? iTunes music store so Stevie can grab our lunch money on our way to work and oh ya! Ringtones! Another way for them to get more money! Guess what they DIDN'T do? They didn't give us what we asked for and a lot of you are annoyed. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't count your chickens. But if I had to guess then I'd say the recent price drop is making room for the 16 and 32GB iPhones by Christmas. If Apple tells Europe that they're getting iPhones then it'll still be a few months until they actually see them, which would make perfect timing for them to give us an updated one by Christmas.
post #45 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Monk View Post

Hence any current 3G iPhone would require at least two models: one for Europe, one for North America (and likely one for Japan, given market requirements, although they get Rev. B of the European 3G iPhone).

Apple recently signed a deal with InterDigital, who are most notably not Qualcomm.

Thanks form the info, Electric Monk. I travel quite often and it really irks me that I won't be able to switch to local nation SIMS to utilize 3G data rates.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #46 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

"Yeah, we're gonna have a US 3G iPhone real soon. But it's gonna cost 600 bucks."

Then all the price-sensitive folks just shrug and buy the 2.5 model for $400 during the holidays, and those who must have 3G wait.

It could be, but I think people will be pissed buy paying $200 more for something that should be on the iPhone in the first place. I think 60 days from the price drop the iPhone will be 3G and that's about it. People can whine as much as they want. Steve won't care this time.
MacPro 12 core
MacPro 12 core
post #47 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by britwithgoodteeth View Post

You've hurt old man Mel's feelings!

Nah! I only sulk for a few moments. I know he really loves me.

post #48 of 80
Quote:
It could be, but I think people will be pissed buy paying $200 more for something that should be on the iPhone in the first place.

Presumably the 3G chipsets Apple will use in the iPhone were not available in the first half of this year.
post #49 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugy View Post

...people will be pissed ... for something that should be on the iPhone in the first place.

There is no mandate as to waht should be on the iPhone (outside FCC regulations). If you don't want a 2.75G iPhone then don't buy one. There is no arm twisting involved.

A wise man once told me, "a product is worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it."

If Apple offers a 3G version with 16GB NAND in the next few weeks/months for $600 than I will buy one. I have not complained about the $600 I paid for my 2.75G version with 8GB NAND. It was a conscience decision on my part of which I have absolutely no regrets.

I say bring on the new iPhones every month (it seems all the other manufacturers have new phone every month) so It can hit that 10M mark before MWSF '08 so I can see my stock soar.
post #50 of 80
Quote:

There is no mandate as to waht should be on the iPhone (outside FCC regulations). If you don't want a 2.75G iPhone then don't buy one. There is no arm twisting involved.

A wise man once told me, "a product is worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it."

If Apple offers a 3G version with 16GB NAND in the next few weeks/months for $600 than I will buy one. I have not complained about the $600 I paid for my 2.75G version with 8GB NAND. It was a conscience decision on my part of which I have absolutely no regrets.

I say bring on the new iPhones every month (it seems all the other manufacturers have new phone every month) so It can hit that 10M mark before MWSF '08 so I can see my stock soar.

Right on!
post #51 of 80
Quote:

I agree with you but most people whine for much less.
I would not mind to pay $600 for 16gig 3G as well.
I just want it very, very soon. My Verizon contract is expired and now that i know what the iPod touch is all about, I much rather have an iPhone.
MacPro 12 core
MacPro 12 core
post #52 of 80
Mum's the word
Meaning
Keep quiet - say nothing.
Origin
Mum; not mother but 'mmmmm', the humming sound made with a closed mouth. Used by Shakespeare in Henry VI, Part 2:
"Seal up your lips and give no words but mum."
So "Mum is no longer the word" = Start Talking!
post #53 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielchow View Post

i doubt apple will introduce the Beatles before they have the chance to introduce George Harrison.

i'm suspecting that they wish to introduce the former Beatles members as individual artists -- John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, and then George Harrison. they're each great performers on their own. i think when George Harrison is introduce, the Beatles will follow. that's assuming that a deal to carry Beatles on iTunes actually happened.

& Ringo's finest work too !! Thomas the Tank Engine on iTunes!! Now that's content!

McD
Why does somebody ask me a question, I can never understand, I can never provide the answer, but believe I can.
Why does somebody ask me a question, I can never understand, I can never provide the answer, but believe I can.
post #54 of 80
My money's on BBC shows. Microsoft always make announcements shortly before Apple deliver real products & services (to try to take the wind out of their sails/sales?) and the came up with something recently about BBC TV shows on Xbox live.

McD
post #55 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post

My money's on BBC shows. Microsoft always make announcements shortly before Apple deliver real products & services (to try to take the wind out of their sails/sales?) and the came up with something recently about BBC TV shows on Xbox live.

McD

I, too, agree it is about iTunes content. It currently have no choice but to get my Top Gear, Fifth Gear (but only because I like cars, I hate the entire cast), Dr. Who, & Extras from less reputable sources. Plus. this would offer me an opportunity to experience to see new right-pondian shows from the BBC.

They can't do a "press only event" if they expect people to start camping outside their stores.
post #56 of 80
Please just give us a 16GB iPhone in america for crying out loud! I don't care about 3G. There is none in my area anyway.
post #57 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post

Please just give us a 16GB iPhone in america for crying out loud! I don't care about 3G. There is none in my area anyway.

If they gave you a 16GB version you'd be bellyaching for a 32GB version. Name one other phone that comes with (or has the capacity to install) 8GB NAND?
post #58 of 80
Interesting. It must be iphone related.
post #59 of 80
Quote:

If they gave you a 16GB version you'd be bellyaching for a 32GB version. Name one other phone that comes with (or has the capacity to install) 8GB NAND?

Nokia N95, N91 and N81 all have 8GB models now. Somewhat controversially the N95 8GB dropped the SDHC slot. The old version had an SDHC card slot so you could stick 8GB SDHC cards in although I'm not sure anyone does an 8GB SDHC yet but I'm sure they aren't far away. You can carry a multitude of 4GB cards though.

Sony Ericsson's 8GB W960i walkman phone (with 3.2mp camera, touch screen, 3G HSDPA (no EDGE!) is due this month). That'll take 8GB Microstick cards too - total 16GB.
post #60 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Nokia N95, N91 and N81 all have 8GB models now. Somewhat controversially the N95 8GB dropped the SDHC slot. The old version had an SDHC card slot so you could stick 8GB SDHC cards in although I'm not sure anyone does an 8GB SDHC yet but I'm sure they aren't far away. You can carry a multitude of 4GB cards though.

Sony Ericsson's 8GB W960i walkman phone (with 3.2mp camera, touch screen, 3G HSDPA (no EDGE!) is due this month). That'll take 8GB Microstick cards too - total 16GB.

I'm guessing these cost a fair bit more than the iPhone too.
post #61 of 80
Quote:

I'm guessing these cost a fair bit more than the iPhone too.

Most expensive would be the N95 8GB which is just under 600 Euro unlocked with no contract. But you can get them for FREE with most 18 month contracts of a reasonable size.

N81 8GB is about 400 Euro unlocked with no contract.

For comparison the iPod Touch is 299(8GB) or 399(16GB) Euro.
post #62 of 80
O2 in the UK has been defending revenue sharing deals with handset maunfacturers and upgrading their base stations to EDGE. I think that's a clue that they have secured the iPhone and that it will not be a 3G version.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=42210

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=42327
post #63 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMcK View Post

O2 in the UK has been defending revenue sharing deals with handset maunfacturers and upgrading their base stations to EDGE. I think that's a clue that they have secured the iPhone and that it will not be a 3G version.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=42210

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=42327

As I recall from these forums T-Mobile and Orange also had significant EDGE coverage in Germany and France, respectively.
post #64 of 80
Quote:

As I recall from these forums T-Mobile and Orange also had significant EDGE coverage in Germany and France, respectively.

Don't know about Germany and France but in the UK Orange and T-Mobile both have better EDGE coverage than O2.

O2's data plans are expensive too, unlike t-mobile.
post #65 of 80
o2 will be launching some new flat rate data plans to rival tmobiles webn walk as well 3's xseries so i dont think thats a valid point.

AT&T only launches new price plans including data plans shortly before the Iphone launch.
post #66 of 80
After spending £4bn on a 3G licence why would O2 bother to upgrade their base stations to Edge?
post #67 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

o2 will be launching some new flat rate data plans to rival tmobiles webn walk as well 3's xseries so i dont think thats a valid point.

And news of this is where ?
post #68 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post

Not that we're going to get iPhones in NZ anytime soon but I think I'd be happy with an 8GB version. iPod Mini and AppleTV have taught me how to use/synch smart playlists (check your playcounts to see how much of your iTunes library you actually listen to/watch). We're all taught bigger=better though so maybe top end versions should be available just to keep the spec-monkey's happy - for a while.

McD
post #69 of 80
Here's the problem with UK phone suppliers, currently none of them offer unlimted data access via a phone. they offer stupid packages the give you limited usuage and then charge from £1-50 to £2.50 per MB. If you look at the AT&T tarriffs in the U.S, they all offer unlimited access to data. In the UK you can use the vodafone or orange Data card or USB modem for £25 per month unlimited usuage. I used to use my phone as a modem but it was too expensive and as the 12" pB didn't have a slot for the datacard so I was stuck, until they released the USB modem. ANYWAY, my point is if the UK supplier, most likely O2 offers similar packages to what they have already without unlmited data access from a mobile phnoe then the whole safari web browser becomes sort of redundant unless you are withina wi-fi area or loaded.
post #70 of 80
http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/...NE-BRITAIN.XML

Apple rumored to receive as much as 40 percent of O2 iPhone revenue. Isn't that way too much?
iMac 20",Core2Duo 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, ATI RADEON 2600Pro
iPod classic 80GB
iMac 20",Core2Duo 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, ATI RADEON 2600Pro
iPod classic 80GB
post #71 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by green-bee.salsa View Post

http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/...NE-BRITAIN.XML

Apple rumored to receive as much as 40 percent of O2 iPhone revenue. Isn't that way too much?

if that's true then there was a serious apple fanboy sitting at the table for o2 negotiating the terms
MBP 15" Unibody GHz 500GB 4GB
iPhone 3GS 16GB
iPod nano black fatty 8GB
MBP 15" Unibody GHz 500GB 4GB
iPhone 3GS 16GB
iPod nano black fatty 8GB
post #72 of 80
Mr S Jobs is in London. "Mum is no longer the word" is going to be a Stevenote!

Link
post #73 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by saschke View Post

if that's true then there was a serious apple fanboy sitting at the table for o2 negotiating the terms

I've read 10%
post #74 of 80
http://shop.o2.co.uk/maintenance-consumer.html

The online O2 shop is offline, as if they might be updating it with new products?
post #75 of 80
Is anyone offering live coverage of the event?

Yep.. just found it on Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/18/l...ent-in-london/
post #76 of 80
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technolo...nt_london.html

QUOTE=SpinDrift;1144202]Is anyone offering live coverage of the event?

Yep.. just found it on Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/18/l...ent-in-london/[/QUOTE]
post #77 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by barney View Post

Here's the problem with UK phone suppliers, currently none of them offer unlimted data access via a phone. they offer stupid packages the give you limited usuage and then charge from £1-50 to £2.50 per MB. If you look at the AT&T tarriffs in the U.S, they all offer unlimited access to data. In the UK you can use the vodafone or orange Data card or USB modem for £25 per month unlimited usuage. I used to use my phone as a modem but it was too expensive and as the 12" pB didn't have a slot for the datacard so I was stuck, until they released the USB modem. ANYWAY, my point is if the UK supplier, most likely O2 offers similar packages to what they have already without unlmited data access from a mobile phnoe then the whole safari web browser becomes sort of redundant unless you are withina wi-fi area or loaded.

I was never convinced 3G data made sense financially. I can see why the lack of urgency though it sounds like a good idea.
post #78 of 80
Quote:
10:32 - Q: What are your plans for iPhone launch in Europe, and your reaction to upsetting other carriers who feel played-off in terms of not getting this deal?

Steve: "We said we'd be in a few countries in Europe and we still plan to do that. As to the carriers, we took the approach to see who would be the best fit -- it's like going out on a few dates before getting married. So yeah, we have a few upset girlfriends out there." Laughter.

You mean they were the easiest to get into bed!
post #79 of 80
The announced package is pretty underwhelming.
The price of the device itself is fine.

But the tariff starts at $70 (£35) per month for 200 minutes of voice and "unlimited" data.
Data is supposed to be over Edge - but O2 have not yet upgraded their network. By launch they will only have 30% of the country covered. The rest of the country will have to cope with GPRS.

So your unlimited data will be extremely limited by pathetically slow data rates.
So it does not matter that you can only browse 1400 pages per day - you'd be lucky to download more than ten an hour.

Wait for the 3G version. Or at least wait for Edge to be rolled out nationally.

C.
post #80 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

But the tariff starts at $70 (£35) per month for 200 minutes of voice and "unlimited" data.
Data is supposed to be over Edge - but O2 have not yet upgraded their network. By launch they will only have 30% of the country covered. The rest of the country will have to cope with GPRS.

So your unlimited data will be extremely limited by pathetically slow data rates.
So it does not matter that you can only browse 1400 pages per day - you'd be lucky to download more than ten an hour.

Wait for the 3G version. Or at least wait for Edge to be rolled out nationally.

I bet that 30% is 30% of the population not land mass. ie. London.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple UK to host special (iPhone?) event next week