or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › No new powermacs!!

No new powermacs!!

post #1 of 125
Apple just screwed itself
I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
post #2 of 125
Sorry to say it, but yep.

MWTK isn't really a desktop venue. Maybe there'll be an Apple Event in February.
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power; I think they are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power; I think they are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs
post #3 of 125
[quote]Originally posted by discstickers:
<strong>Sorry to say it, but yep.

MWTK isn't really a desktop venue. Maybe there'll be an Apple Event in February.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No "one more thing." How sad. Well, since all the iMacs don't ship until March, maybe we'll see PM update then.
post #4 of 125
I suppose despite everthing that we just saw, this will go down as a Bad Expo now?

Rather curious in any case. I suppose it might be strategic -- too many things in one keynote, though that's a weak excuse. I suppose the other reason is that they simply aren't getting the quantity of faster chips yet. Or perhaps stockpiling if they do have faster ones. Curious anyway.

Perhaps a silent speed bump? Nah, doubt that.
post #5 of 125
[quote]Originally posted by G4Dude:
<strong>Apple just screwed itself</strong><hr></blockquote>

I thought maybe I was disconnected awhile and must have missed the PM part but Noo. And not a hint of what's to come in that dept.
post #6 of 125
GRRRRRRRRRR.

Quicktime live? NAB? When are they gonna do it?

GRRRRRRRRRRR.
HEE HEE!! Dual G5 2Ghz. 2 Gig RAM. Yeah baby.
HEE HEE!! Dual G5 2Ghz. 2 Gig RAM. Yeah baby.
post #7 of 125
Stop crying!!

If they had released a new Powermac, then the crys would be "NO PDA".

Apple just is not going to announce 2 major products at once.

Apple could have done a speed bump probably, but why?

They are holding off until they give you all something mindblowing.

Yeah, a incremental upgrade would have been great.

post #8 of 125
This sucks ,no PM +1GHz. Better luck next time and maybe they'll go over 1,5ghz with the latest G5. Who knows?

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR indeed even GRRRRRRR GRGRGRRGRGRGRGRGGRGRG
ARGGGGGGGGHHHH

I really hate this
"Respect my authoritaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!"
"Respect my authoritaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!"
post #9 of 125
[quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:
<strong>I suppose despite everthing that we just saw, this will go down as a Bad Expo now?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Still much better than MWNY last year, but people's expectations were higher this year, so it might even out.

[quote]<strong>Rather curious in any case. I suppose it might be strategic -- too many things in one keynote, though that's a weak excuse. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Right, not enough room for the new Powermacs, but enough time for demonstrations of iTunes, iMovie and iDVD for the umpteenth time. Still, I am sure that the Powermacs will be updated sooner than later.
post #10 of 125
I don't believe how stupid Apple is. How could they not release any new Powermacs? The PMs suck and they leave them alone... how retarted is that?
post #11 of 125
Well, guess I won't be buying a new PowerMac anytime soon.

I just don't see Apple releasing a radically new PowerMac at a "special" event.

I guess summertime is the time.

retarded.
post #12 of 125
I'm suprised, very suprised. But let's not undermine the significance of the new iMac. That machine is unbelievable! And it has the power of a pro machine! I'm amazed Apple came out with it, and I firmly believe we will see new Pro machines within the next 2 months.

Please, people. Let's show some restraint on the whining front.

- Pook
In a fast German car I'm amazed that I survived. An airbag saved my life. - Radiohead
In a fast German car I'm amazed that I survived. An airbag saved my life. - Radiohead
post #13 of 125
Who is going to buy a tower at $1699 now? They must update them soon. Since the updated both the iBook and iMac today perhaps both the PowerBook and PowerMac will be updated next time. When will that be though? I suppose they want to ship as many of the $1799 iMacs first.
Stuck in an infinite loop waiting for an Apple PDA...

apple.otaku
Stuck in an infinite loop waiting for an Apple PDA...

apple.otaku
post #14 of 125
I think we'll see the next PowerMac revision soon enough - for now, Apple has the perfect, full rance consumer computer lineup - on the laptop and the desktop side. It's simply fantastic and I guess that MW Tokyo will let us see some real pro hardware. Yes, the keynote sure didn't dissapoint me - it was expectably that Apple wont spoil it's G4 iMac show with a 1.6ghz G5 powermac - they're not stupid.
oy!
oy!
post #15 of 125
While Apple was busy hyping this expo, AMD released the XP 2000+ and Intel released the P4 2.2 For the first time ever, I find myself considering buying an Athlon based PC. 6 months without an update is terrible for the PowerMacs. I don't care if they are waiting to "wow" us. I will take whatever slightly faster processor Apple has RIGHT NOW. I would take a 1GHz G4 TODAY over a 1.4GHz G5 in 4 months!
post #16 of 125
There are several very valid reasons why a new G4 was not released.

1) Don't detract attention from the new iMac.

2) The iMac won't be available en masse until March. That gives Apple plenty of time to speed bump the G4's... after 3 or 4 weeks of iMac advertising and press inundation.

3) At the new price points, the iMac is more expensive than the G4's.

Don't worry, sometime in the next 2 - 3 months the G4's will break the gHz barrier, and that will be an apple event of it's own. By Apple event I mean a marketing event... not necessarily a "special" apple even hosted at cupertino.
post #17 of 125
Maybe Seybold.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
post #18 of 125
Well, I know that Apple doesn't usually show at Seybold Boston but the G4 was introduced at Seybold SanFran in '99...
post #19 of 125
Wow, Im impressed by the new iMac, but completely shocked that there was no PM update. I went to Apples site, hoping to find a quiet upgrade to the PMs...no luck.

There must be something planned. I had told my brother to wait until after today to buy his new system, but Im not sure what to say now. The towers all pale in comparisson. An 867+15" LCD will cost about $1200 more than an iMac with a super drive. Im not sure what to tell him.

Im really shocked that no PM announcement was made. Something has to happen soon.
post #20 of 125
[quote]2) The iMac won't be available en masse until March. That gives Apple plenty of time to speed bump the G4's... after 3 or 4 weeks of iMac advertising and press inundation.
<hr></blockquote>

That's a good point.

With an 800 MHz G4 in the new iMac, it won't be long before the PowerMacs are updated. I just thought for sure with the hype and excitement Apple was building, they were planning on doing both here.

A little disappointed, but since I just ordered my SuperDrive equipped iMac, I'm not TOO disappointed.

post #21 of 125
Hate to say it, but Apple really must find an alternative to Motorola. The G4 is/has become quite an embarrassement.
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
post #22 of 125
They have no choice but update the Powermacs soon. I am surprised they did not lower the prices on them. That bottom model is going to be a tough sell - and it won't be much better for the other ones.

If Steve was ready to put an 800Mhz G4 in an iMac, I would expect great things are coming for the Pro lineup.
post #23 of 125
[quote]While Apple was busy hyping this expo, AMD released the XP 2000+ and Intel released the P4 2.2 For the first time ever, I find myself considering buying an Athlon based PC.<hr></blockquote>

Please go. Go now! I will show you the doorway to hell.

[quote]I would take a 1GHz G4 TODAY over a 1.4GHz G5 in 4 months!<hr></blockquote>

I have no doubt that you would. what do you have now, a 867?

I say new PM's sooner than latter.

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: Cobra ]</p>
post #24 of 125
[quote]Originally posted by PookJP:
<strong>I'm suprised, very suprised. But let's not undermine the significance of the new iMac. That machine is unbelievable! And it has the power of a pro machine! I'm amazed Apple came out with it, and I firmly believe we will see new Pro machines within the next 2 months.

Please, people. Let's show some restraint on the whining front.

- Pook</strong><hr></blockquote>
restraint hmmm interesting concept but yeah, ok, i can do that
post #25 of 125
[quote]Originally posted by murbot:
<strong>

That's a good point.

With an 800 MHz G4 in the new iMac, it won't be long before the PowerMacs are updated. I just thought for sure with the hype and excitement Apple was building, they were planning on doing both here.

A little disappointed, but since I just ordered my SuperDrive equipped iMac, I'm not TOO disappointed.

</strong><hr></blockquote>
Hey Murbot, maybe in February when you are tired of your new iMac, you can sell it to me for a special "AI Pride" discount.
post #26 of 125
[quote]Originally posted by G4Dude:
<strong>Apple just screwed itself</strong><hr></blockquote>

Screw you!

Today, for $1799, Apple will sell you a flat screen computer with an 800MHz G4 that can:
1) organize all of your music and let you burn it onto CDs or synch with an iPod
2) edit movies from your digital camcorder
3) burn those movies onto DVDs that will play on any DVD player in the world
4) organize all of your photos and create amazing web sites, movies or hardcover books out of them.
5) everything else that PCs do.

This computer has the stability of OSX, looks more beautiful than any other consumer computer ever, and is smaller than the cube was.

I say apple just sold another 6 million computers over the next three years.
This same capability cost more than twice this last year and didn't feature iPhoto by the way.

Today was a huge day for Apple. If they don't have a strong consumer market, they don't have a business. The pros will get their thrills at the next event.
post #27 of 125
Uh, no. Apple's charging up the entire market by segmenting its announcements along into a chain of events instead of one huge event. The last time Apple had a blow-out mass of announcements in one expo was July 2000 for the Cube.

Apple's trying to keep life in the PC market by keeping something fresh at any point in the year instead of having all the products on the same cycle.
I can change my sig again!
I can change my sig again!
post #28 of 125
It looks like they kept 3 models of the old iMacs.

Indigo $799 500Mhz-CD Rom
Graphite/Snow $999 600Mhz-CDRW
post #29 of 125
Isn't Apple doing the keynote tomorrow too? Maybe they are spreading the announcements over 2 days to pace themselves.
post #30 of 125
I must admit I was pretty disapointed with no new power macs, but im still hopeful for a G5 in the future.

After all the hype I was expecting something better that MWSF last year. Last year- new g4s, Tibook, superdrive, itunes, idvd, osX, etc. This is year- a new imac and iphoto....

In all fairness the new iMac is pretty sweet. So good that nobody will buy a PM g4 I think. For about the same price as the cheapes g4 you get a faster processor, a 15" display and a superdrive...
post #31 of 125
Things aren't all that bad with the Pro line maybe we get the new 'white' keyboard & mouse with the Quicksilver Power Macs!
post #32 of 125
I don't buy it. They would have released the PowerMac if they had it. It's probably a G5 then, whenever it's available.

It seems silly to release new iApps, but not new hardware, at Macworld. They're preaching to the choir as the saying goes. We already know the wonderful things Macs can do, we just want it faster and cheaper.

The new iMac is a good machine, even though I wouldn't care for one. They just almost completely erraticate the need for a PowerMac at this point in time. That, combined with the fact that they won't be shipping for two months, means that Apple can't sell very many machines for a while. That's bad business. All powermac sales just went out the window.

Disappointing show I'd say.
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
post #33 of 125
[quote]Originally posted by Outsider:
<strong>Isn't Apple doing the keynote tomorrow too? Maybe they are spreading the announcements over 2 days to pace themselves.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nope. No keynote tomorrow.
post #34 of 125
The reason why this keynote was such a big dissapointment was because of apples own hype. If they wouldn't have hyped this expo then it would been ok for me. But still.... I don't care about any iMacs, I want my PM. But with the current prices/specs it just doesn't cut it compared to the iMac. I am VERY dissapointed!!
post #35 of 125
I must admit I was pretty disapointed with no new power macs, but im still hopeful for a G5 in the future.

After all the hype I was expecting something better that MWSF last year. Last year- new g4s, Tibook, superdrive, itunes, idvd, osX, etc. This is year- a new imac and iphoto....

In all fairness the new iMac is pretty sweet. So good that nobody will buy a PM g4 I think. For about the same price as the cheapes g4 you get a faster processor, a 15" display and a superdrive...
post #36 of 125
Just like Outsider said, just wait until tomorrow, perhaps another BIG surprise for the towers.
post #37 of 125
[quote]Originally posted by vr6:
<strong>

Screw you!

Today, for $1799, Apple will sell you a flat screen computer with an 800MHz G4 that can:
1) organize all of your music and let you burn it onto CDs or synch with an iPod
2) edit movies from your digital camcorder
3) burn those movies onto DVDs that will play on any DVD player in the world
4) organize all of your photos and create amazing web sites, movies or hardcover books out of them.
5) everything else that PCs do.

This computer has the stability of OSX, looks more beautiful than any other consumer computer ever, and is smaller than the cube was.

I say apple just sold another 6 million computers over the next three years.
This same capability cost more than twice this last year and didn't feature iPhoto by the way.

Today was a huge day for Apple. If they don't have a strong consumer market, they don't have a business. The pros will get their thrills at the next event.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Get out of the moonshine. It's been 6 months since an update, that's pathetic. Apple's current powermac offerings SUCK. I love Apple too, but I'm not going to be mislead into buying a computer not worth the money.

I have $2250 to buy a computer in July. Now I can get a slow (Yes, slow. No DDR, no increased bus speed, no expansion, no software, no ghz) powermac or I can go out and build myself a pc.

The only thing that Apple has is looks and ease of use, I'd give those up for access to good hardware. And so would every other realistic computer buyer. That's why Apple's shooting itself in the foot.

The new imac is crap. Sure, it looks good and would be a good terminal computer but it wont be available until march (All models available then) it's speeds are still pathetic, no new technology, no expansion. Again, all it has is looks and ease of use.

Apple needs to wake up because at their current trend they will lose their 5% of the market just like they've been doing up to this point.

Apple needs powerusers to buy into their hardware, they show the average consumer what to buy. They work at the computer stores, they run the review sites, they're everywhere influencing the average consumer's purchases. If a poweruser like me sees that Apple's offerings are a bad deal then it wont help apple whatsoever.

I'm not a zealot, I'm realistic.
-Moo to you too!
<a href="http://www.cowofwar.com" target="_blank">www.cowofwar.com</a>
-Moo to you too!
<a href="http://www.cowofwar.com" target="_blank">www.cowofwar.com</a>
post #38 of 125
I'd say that AMD's 2.2 ghz jumbo jet has just collided into Apple 867 mhz tower, and it's crumbling fast...
post #39 of 125
No new PMacs until the LCD rebate expires at the end of January.

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: scottiB ]</p>
post #40 of 125
This has nothing to do with "spreading out the announcements." If they had it, they would release it.

We were hoping for a G5, apparently the Apollo isn't even ready yet. Looks to me like the new iMac has the same chip as the PowerBook (7441).

In a couple months the Sahara should be getting up in speed for the iBooks, and the Apollo should do the same for everything else. The G5 can't come soon enough.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › No new powermacs!!