or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple posts details on $100 store credit for early iPhone owners

Apple posts details on $100 store credit for early iPhone owners

post #1 of 48
Apple customers who bought an iPhone before August 22 may be eligible for an instant $100 electronic credit toward future purchases at Apple Retail Stores or the Apple Online Store. To see if you qualify, read on for Apple's just-released terms and conditions.

To receive your credit, follow these three easy steps:

Step 1: Identify your iPhone

To confirm eligibility, simply enter your phone number and iPhone serial number in the fields provided.

Step 2: Enter your access code

You will receive an SMS text message on your iPhone containing the access code to redeem your $100 credit. Enter your phone number and your access code in the fields provided to generate an electronic store credit.

Step 3: Get your $100 Apple Store credit

You will receive a $100 electronic store credit to purchase products at the Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store.

Requests for the $100 credit must be submitted by November 30, 2007. Participants must activate their iPhone with AT&T prior to submitting their claim. For information on how to activate, click here. A frequently asked questions list is also available here.
post #2 of 48
I just found out that you may have problems if you have had your iPhone replaced by Apple support or exchanged at the Apple or ATT stores because this system may not have your new SSN on file.

This is what has happened to me, so I have started the email contact process because no phone number is provided for this.

Good luck everyone.
post #3 of 48
I had mine replaced about a month ago because of touch screen issues, but no problems here. Just printed out the store credit! Sweet!
Sent from my iPhone
Sent from my iPhone
post #4 of 48
Thanks Apple for doing the right thing.

I am going to save mine and use it on the 16Gb 3G version coming out before X-mas
post #5 of 48
post #6 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo-xl View Post

I just found out that you may have problems if you have had your iPhone replaced by Apple support or exchanged at the Apple or ATT stores because this system may not have your new SSN on file.

This is what has happened to me, so I have started the email contact process because no phone number is provided for this.

Good luck everyone.

I am haveing the same problem, did you try using the original serial #? I also sent an email. Maybe we are getting more back because we had to deal with the dead screen issue
post #7 of 48
Notice how they tied it in with AT&T to make sure that anyone who didn't activate the phone won't get the rebate. Very clever. Not sure about the ethics of that, but I guess it's their prerogative. I still think they didn't need to give any rebate at all.

Can't wait to sit back and watch the fury of all the crybabies as they pontificate about Apple being corporate swine, etc. It should be interesting.
post #8 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

Not sure about the ethics of that......

Ummmm.... why would it be unethical?
post #9 of 48
What about those people who had bought a second phone with the intention of giving it as an Xmas present for example? Guess they would have to open it and activate it first!
post #10 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by daratbastid View Post

I am haveing the same problem, did you try using the original serial #? I also sent an email. Maybe we are getting more back because we had to deal with the dead screen issue

No I am going to try that when I get home tonight after I locate the old #. I will let you know if it works.
post #11 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ummmm.... why would it be unethical?

Yea, I don't think it is unethical because you have to wonder if someone didn't buy an Iphone sign up for ATT what exactly are they doing with it? I bet whatever it is it is not what Apple wants consumers to be doing with the Iphone.

I bet the population of people who have Iphones and are not on ATT are fewer than 5,000 out of the 1 million sold. I doubt we would here a peep from these people.
post #12 of 48
Clever how Apple made that "get started" image a background pic so you couldn't just rip it off...

Oh well, AppleInsider stole it anyway and gave it a crappy photoshop job to boot.

-=|Mgkwho
post #13 of 48
No iTunes store purchases, pity that would have been popular I think, still I suppose that would have cost them more cash in the long run as they don't get to keep much of the 99 cents.

Ian
post #14 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by parky View Post

No iTunes store purchases

Where did you see that info.... I just got mine, and somehow missed the info on what was/was not eligible. Darn, I'd like to have spent 30-40 bucks some ringtones......
post #15 of 48
[sorry, deleted this -- read the FAQ and noticed I was wrong, wrong, wrongity wrong. Drat.]
post #16 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Participants must activate their iPhone with AT&T prior to submitting their claim.

It will be interesting to know if those with unlocked iPhones can receive the credit?

Anyone with an unlocked phone tried yet?

Any success??

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #17 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Where did you see that info.... I just got mine, and somehow missed the info on what was/was not eligible. Darn, I'd like to have spent 30-40 bucks some ringtones......

Just read the Terms and Conditions :-

"Customers may not redeem their store credits: (1) at any iTunes Store in the United States or elsewhere, (2) Apple Store locations outside the United States; (3) at Apple resellers; (4) for cash; (5) to purchase Apple Gift Cards, or,iTunes Store Gift Certificates, to give iTunes Store content as gifts, or to create iTunes Store allowances; or (6) as payments on Apple accounts."

Ian
post #18 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Participants must activate their iPhone with AT&T prior to submitting their claim.

Any early adopting unlockers just got owned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #19 of 48
I read the FAQ and I did not see anywhere that it is transferable or not. So I maybe you can sell it on ebay, or donate it to a charity.

m

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #20 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo-xl View Post

No I am going to try that when I get home tonight after I locate the old #. I will let you know if it works.

WORKED! Use your original serial and your good to go!
post #21 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I read the FAQ and I did not see anywhere that it is transferable or not. So I maybe you can sell it on ebay, or donate it to a charity.

m

You need to read slower :-

"Customers may not resell, transfer, or otherwise assign the credits."
post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post

What about those people who had bought a second phone with the intention of giving it as an Xmas present for example? Guess they would have to open it and activate it first!

That is what they get for buying an electronics Christmas present 6 months early!
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #23 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

That is what they get for buying an electronics Christmas present 6 months early!

Yea. Sorry to ask but why would you ever do that? Did you not think that they were going to be available before Christmas.
post #24 of 48
I bought an 8gb iPhone on July 7 for $599 had it 20 days and due to crappy AT&T coverage in my office and home I had to cancel it and sell the phone on eBay. Now, the person who baught the phone on eBay from me for well under $599 ($372) can get my store credit! This is a crap way to do it Apple. I believe that REGARDLESS of whether you have activated it or not with AT&T you still spent $599 dollars and now you can get it for $399.

Apple should have done this two ways:

1.\tIf you bought this at an apple store, bring in your receipt and get the credit.
2.\tOr, if you purchased through the online apple store then login with your Apple login and since your order history is there, it calls up your previous purchase and gives you the credit.
post #25 of 48
Quote:
1. If you bought this at an apple store, bring in your receipt and get the credit.

I was afraid this was the way they are going to do it. I thought I would have to dig up the receipt go to an Apple store and wait in line. Haggle if I didn't have the proper paperwork. It takes about 60 seconds to do it online with no hassle.
post #26 of 48
I have an activated iPhone in Canada, but since I'll be in NYC next month, I'll probably just get a friend to activate it with AT&T, get my rebate, then have them cancel the AT&T plan (and buy them a couple of beers for their trouble).

post #27 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by msb0014 View Post

I bought an 8gb iPhone on July 7 for $599 had it 20 days and due to crappy AT&T coverage in my office and home I had to cancel it and sell the phone on eBay. Now, the person who baught the phone on eBay from me for well under $599 ($372) can get my store credit! This is a crap way to do it Apple. I believe that REGARDLESS of whether you have activated it or not with AT&T you still spent $599 dollars and now you can get it for $399.

WOW! It takes you 20 days to realize you have bad cell service.
THEN you sell for $372 instead of returning within the 14 day limit,costing yourself $168.
THEN you publicly post your stupidity...
It must really suck(and be very costly) going thru life with such a lack of common sense.
post #28 of 48
I just spent all my rebate plus an extra $175.

Somehow I feel taken, yet I completely understand it's all my fault.

The power of rebates compels me.
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
post #29 of 48
The only people who are not getting their credit are those who are trying to screw the system in some way. Straight up, if you bought an iPhone within the specified timeframe, and didn't try to hack it to death, you will get your credit. You do not even need a receipt. The serial number appears in iTunes when your iPhone is connected. The only people who are screwed in this deal are those who screwed themselves. Apple made it very easy and painless for those who were doing the right thing.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimUrban View Post

WOW! It takes you 20 days to realize you have bad cell service.
THEN you sell for $372 instead of returning within the 14 day limit,costing yourself $168.
THEN you publicly post your stupidity...
It must really suck(and be very costly) going thru life with such a lack of common sense.

First of all, In the 20 days I owned it - I tried every remedy to boost the cellular service in my office and home - antennas boosters and the like. I tried to give my AT&T service the benefit of the doubt, after all I had just dropped $600 AND I transferred my service from T-Mobile. My T-Mobile service was fine and NEVER had an issue with service.

Second how MY ONLY resort was eBay and I cannot control the bidding, would I have liked to get more yes, but I could not.

Your right, it was a coslty mistake but it has nothing to do with common sense. I guess my only character flaw is that I cannot see into the future. Can you?
post #31 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

The only people who are not getting their credit are those who are trying to screw the system in some way. Straight up, if you bought an iPhone within the specified timeframe, and didn't try to hack it to death, you will get your credit. You do not even need a receipt. The serial number appears in iTunes when your iPhone is connected. The only people who are screwed in this deal are those who screwed themselves. Apple made it very easy and painless for those who were doing the right thing.

i have to disagree. I didn't do anything to mine, I bought it in July, the only thing that happened that would make any sense as to why they won't let me get mine is I had to restore it about a week ago. I have been using my phone on AT&T since the middle of July, so there is no reason they shouldn't give me my credit.
post #32 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiting2000 View Post

i have to disagree. I didn't do anything to mine, I bought it in July, the only thing that happened that would make any sense as to why they won't let me get mine is I had to restore it about a week ago. I have been using my phone on AT&T since the middle of July, so there is no reason they shouldn't give me my credit.

Then you should get your refund, there must just be a problem somewhere.
post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by msb0014 View Post

First of all, In the 20 days I owned it - I tried every remedy to boost the cellular service in my office and home - antennas boosters and the like. I tried to give my AT&T service the benefit of the doubt, after all I had just dropped $600 AND I transferred my service from T-Mobile. My T-Mobile service was fine and NEVER had an issue with service.

Second how MY ONLY resort was eBay and I cannot control the bidding, would I have liked to get more yes, but I could not.

Your right, it was a coslty mistake but it has nothing to do with common sense. I guess my only character flaw is that I cannot see into the future. Can you?

I would know if AT&T was crap in my area before I bought!
post #34 of 48
Quote:

Well, considering that T-Mobile and AT&T/Cingular share the same towers and network, common sense might have everything to do with it.

Especially given the fact you put an antenna booster on an iPhone.
post #35 of 48
Quote:

I restored Min last night. I assure you, that's not the problem.
post #36 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

I restored Min last night. I assure you, that's not the problem.

i sent them an email, now I am just waiting for a response.
post #37 of 48
Quote:

i sent them an email, now I am just waiting for a response.

Please post an let us know how it went for you. People who are doing the right thing have a right to complain if the process does not work. I still believe that when all is said and done. the problem children are the ones who did not obey their good uncle Steve.
post #38 of 48
Here's my story--

Bought 2 iPhones from At&t store on Aug. 22.

Ever since the price drop my At&t store says corp policy is cash rebate only for iPhones purchased from Aug. 23 on. Even if you bought the evening of Aug. 22, they count Aug. 22 as a whole business day and thus any iPhone bought Aug 22 from an At&t store is considered a member of the prestigious 15 day club in their minds.

This of course, differs from Apple store policy which gives $200 cash rebate from Aug. 22 forward.

Fast forward to the $100 Apple store rebate form, which now rejects both my iPhones eligibility as it claims I should be eligible for the $200/phone cash rebate since I bought them on the 22nd. Ack. Fie.

Awesome. Now I am stuck in a customer service black hole with Apple and their Death Star buddies because their $200 cash rebate date differs by one day and I have obviously broken all their customer service scripts. Yay.

In short, if you were one of the lucky (probably only few hundred) souls who bought iPhones from an At&t store on Aug. 22, welcome to customer service hell. Hopefully the dudes on the other end of this iPhone rebate email addy can sort this one out right.
post #39 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfneuralnet View Post

Thanks Apple for doing the right thing.

I am going to save mine and use it on the 16Gb 3G version coming out before X-mas

I still have to get my rebate but I'm with you.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #40 of 48
Yep. Easy as a $2 .... Uh..
onlooker

onlooker

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple posts details on $100 store credit for early iPhone owners