or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › whats to stop me from...

whats to stop me from...

post #1 of 6
In light of this UK release news - can anyon think of a reason that I can't buy an iPhone from America now (cheaper and I'll have it for an extra month and a half), unlocking it and using it with my current SIM until the O2 launch, and then resetting it and signing up for an O2 contract with iTunes come novemember 9th?

I don't see any benefit in waiting any longer..
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx66 View Post

In light of this UK release news - can anyon think of a reason that I can't buy an iPhone from America now (cheaper and I'll have it for an extra month and a half), unlocking it and using it with my current SIM until the O2 launch, and then resetting it and signing up for an O2 contract with iTunes come novemember 9th?

I don't see any benefit in waiting any longer..

To my mind there is none - I am going to keep my current sim until the 3G iPhone with 16+GB comes out!
post #3 of 6
There might be some localization to the software installed on the phone. It could be just different verbage and icons for a few interface elements. Or there could be significant differences to how the phone communicates with EDGE and online data services such as yahoo IMAP support. We don't really know yet.
post #4 of 6
Yeah I agree that things like those could differ slightly, but isn't that all a case of a firmware upgrade? Surely it is easier for apple too to just sell 1 standard iPhone?
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx66 View Post

Yeah I agree that things like those could differ slightly, but isn't that all a case of a firmware upgrade? Surely it is easier for apple too to just sell 1 standard iPhone?

EDGE works fine in the UK as long as you get the correct access details...only thing you don't get is visual voice mail - seen it in action & very nice. Only thing is that GPRS is a bit slow & EDGE isn't v extensive...
post #6 of 6
sounds cool to me... I think I'll import, unless anyone else can chip in with a downside??
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › whats to stop me from...