or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Report claims iPhone will go 3G, gain GPS in early 2008

Report claims iPhone will go 3G, gain GPS in early 2008 - Page 3

post #81 of 86
Sat Navs are very popular in the UK - I won't get a car without.

I was thinking that an iPhone with GPS & sat nave would be a great all in product & a rival to TomTom.

Most units now have music, photos, BT phone & nav - Apple have a real potential to produce a very compelling product. Could be a seperate device, or use an iPhone with additional software & gps unit - a combined device would be better IMHO though!
post #82 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

We want a full computer in our hands. Now possible with Intel Silverthorne chip:

Intel banks on new Austin-designed chip
http://www.statesman.com/business/co...verthorne.html

From the Intel story:

Quote:
Intel isn't providing many details about the chip's performance, saying only that it is good enough to deliver a satisfying experience to consumers who are surfing the Web or playing video clips or movies.

If that's the bar they've set for themselves, I have trouble seeing the upside, since the current iPhone hardware does exactly that.

And is the power usage actually lower than what's in the iPhone now, or is Silverthorne just more powerful at a given power consumption?

Lower power at the same performance would be great--might offset some of the additional power budget allocation necessary for a 3G radio. Somewhat more horsepower at similar or greater wattage..... kinda meh, at least as far as the iPhone is concerned.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #83 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by syklee26 View Post

nobody surfs on the net using phones for 2-3 straight hours. I think Jobs misses that point. it's usually a quick search and done.

to me what he said at London is just to sell some more iPhones.

dude!!! nobody spends hours on a phone on the internet cause the internet in a phone sucks! here with the real thing on your mobile phone you CAN spend hours, for example:

1. You don't want to take out your laptop BUT you want to surf the web.
2. Take out the iPhone and surf the web.
3. Hours

please please please think before you comment
post #84 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

The iPhone has a speaker built in or since it's probably linked in to your car hifi system anyway, use that.

If you could link it to the car, that would be alright. But the built-in speaker doesn't seem to be loud enough for that enviornment.
post #85 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post

?? Confused

Melgross, please, you are not telling me that the iPhone has not got a hands free speaker are you?

Just that it doesn't seem to be suitable for this use.

But, as Aegis suggested, if it can be linked to the car, then it would be fine.
post #86 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post

Second that, although would not go as far as calling them gimmicks. It seems that everyone has a SatNav in their car now - i do! They are incredibly useful and getting better all the time with live traffic updates, nearest petrol station, macdonalds, speed traps etc..

Nowt wrong with a 2.99 map from Woolies personally. I'd rather not have my car broken into for someone to nick the SatNav, not that I actually use a car in the normal sense. Gave them up 6 years ago. I do have a 17 year old classic Mini but that doesn't even have a stereo never mind SatNav - it'd screw up the aesthetic.

But including it on the iPhone would be handy in a converged device way rather than more and more gizmos for no real reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

And is the power usage actually lower than what's in the iPhone now, or is Silverthorne just more powerful at a given power consumption?

At the time I wondered why Intel sold off it's StrongARM design to Marvell (IIRC) but I think they see the future for them in an X86 compatible embedded CPU going forward, not ARM based.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

If you could link it to the car, that would be alright. But the built-in speaker doesn't seem to be loud enough for that enviornment.

It's just an iPod connector on the bottom so I was presuming audio would just work as usual.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Report claims iPhone will go 3G, gain GPS in early 2008