or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple and T-Mobile to sell iPhone in Germany

Apple and T-Mobile to sell iPhone in Germany - Page 2

post #41 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Monk View Post

When the 3G iPhone comes out he'll hype the hell out of that one, and dismiss any knocks against it like coverage or battery life.

I'd place money on the 3G iPhone being a few mm thicker which will be mostly extra battery. Jobs will claim they've solved the 3G power issues whilst basking in the glory of his brilliance. Inside will be exactly the same chips he could have used in iPhone v1. The solution will be more battery not better chips.

At the same time they'll add the "most advanced camera ever in an iPhone" which will still be behind the curve.
post #42 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

OK.... rephrase that as "3G users" or "3G phones sold" of whatever is appropriate. According to this source (and I've seen a couple of others that show worse numbers), as of early 2006, less than 8% of the users "subscribe to 3G services" in the UK and only about 3% in Germany (Side note: what are they subscribing to if they are not on a contract? But I'll take your word for that).

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Feb2006/2578.htm

I am sure that it is a little better a year later, but I would love to get an answer to the larger point: Why is the uptake for 3G so low/slow? Doesn't sound to me like this technology is flying off the shelves.... yet.

I guess, in a larger sense, I am wondering how much of this 3G stuff is hype and how widespread the usage really is relative to the mobile communication needs of most normal consumers.

3G usage is so slow in uptake because the phone carriers are charging a fortune for 3G services and people generally just want to talk and text. Video calls are expensive and I think they've over estimated the amount of people that actually want to see each other whilst talking. Mobile TV hasn't really been released as of yet. You can get clips sent to your phone of football goals and other crap like that but it seems to me they're scratching around for ideas to use 3G.

As Apple would point out, mobile browsers have also been pretty terrible so far. The best you get is oddly the Apple Webkit based Nokia S60 browser and to some extent Opera Mobile (the Java version) is ok to.

Where it is used a lot is in datacards in laptops or with USB tethered phones.

It's gradually changing though as more services are available on 3G and those have been picking up speed this year. Apple's iPhone is apparently the best mobile browser so why does it not have the best mobile data? And it could also be the best companion for a laptop to give it a 3G modem. Following on from that I'm still shocked they don't have a 3G iTunes store.

You said it best in your last sentence - "the mobile communication needs of most normal consumers.". Most normal consumers don't need an iPhone, but if Apple convince them they do, then they'll need 3G or Wifi to get the best out of it here since EDGE is from what I've been told only patchily available in London so far on O2.
post #43 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdesign

Mobile TV hasn't really been released as of yet.

Following on from that I'm still shocked they don't have a 3G iTunes store.

I'd place money on the 3G iPhone being a few mm thicker which will be mostly extra battery. Jobs will claim they've solved the 3G power issues whilst basking in the glory of his brilliance. Inside will be exactly the same chips he could have used in iPhone v1. The solution will be more battery not better chips.

At the same time they'll add the "most advanced camera ever in an iPhone" which will still be behind the curve.

In Japan mobile TV is the number one feature people look for when upgrading their mobile.

Agreed. iTunes Wireless Store would have made more sense (and why no podcasts?).

Heh. Oh the chips will be a little better, but yeah your solution is probably the one Jobs will go with. And he'll hate it, because he's obsessed with skinny products.

Snerk. If they wanted they could stick a rather nice one in, there are pretty good phone cameras floating around (and no, I'm not just talking megapixels). And why no video recording? (Answer: Jobs doesn't get social networking, therefore Apple doesn't get social networking. And the iPhone has so much potential in that regard….)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobazumi View Post

when are they coming to canada? i can't wait.

When Rogers stops being evil? (Read never.)

The problem is that the iPhone uses GSM networks. In Canada the only GSM network is Rogers (or Fido's, but Rogers owns Fido these days). Therefore the iPhone could only come to Canada for Rogers, which leaves Apple limited negotiating leverage. Neither Bell nor Telus could get the iPhone, it simply would not work on their networks.

The sticking point, from what I've heard, is that Rogers likes to abuse their customers—especially on data rates. If you're a business customer you're looking at ~$100 for 200MB of data a month. Compare with the $20 unlimited data plan on AT&T in the States.

As the iPhone uses a lot of data, Apple wants you to have an unlimited data plan. As Rogers is stupid (& evil) they believe overcharging a handful of people for data makes them more money then having a couple hundred thousand people[1] at (say) $30 a month using somewhat more data.

[1] Canada has around a tenth of the USA's population, and as they've passed a million in a couple months sold there I don't think it would be hard to imagine a couple hundred thousand iPhones sold here in say 6 months, plus all the other people in Canada that would love to have unlimited data.
post #44 of 45
Double post.
post #45 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

Thorsten,

Since this year the EU comprises 27 countries with a total of nearly 491 Million citizens.

Now if this is not a nice market for AAPL - I really dont know. I mean it's 63% more then the population of the US. Add to this an average margin which is about 15% higher (due to the weak dollar).

HELLLLOOOOOO-O anybody home in Cupertino ?

Oops yes your right its 27 now, forgot about Bulgaria and Rumania who joined this year.

Well the Iphone will be in 5 European countries at the end of November, with the 3 countries with largest Population, Germany, France and Britain, that makes almost 50% of the population of the EU.

And I am sure most other EU countries will have joined by the end of 2008.

And soemof the European markets might not be so interesting to Apple.
Some of the EU countries especially Eastern Europe are quite poor, atm so I I think its probably not such a big market for Apple Products.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple and T-Mobile to sell iPhone in Germany