or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Man 72 refused alcohol purchase because of age

Man 72 refused alcohol purchase because of age

post #1 of 30
Dateline UK: a 72 year old man was prevented from buying 2 bottles of wine at a major supermarket. Why?

Because he could not prove his age.

Quote:
Supermarket staff refused to sell alcohol to a white-haired 72-year-old man - because he would not confirm he was over 21.

Check-out staff at Morrisons in West Kirby, Wirral, demanded Tony Ralls prove he was old enough to buy his two bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon.

Mr Ralls asked to see the manager who put the wine back on the shelf.

The grandfather-of-three said he had refused to confirm he was over 21 as it was a "stupid question."

Mr Ralls, a retired insurance firm regional manager, said he expected the store manager to resolve the situation but he was disappointed.

"I felt like saying 'What do I look like? Are you a fool? He picks up the wine and, in the manner of a child taking home his ball, says 'Well, we won't serve you'."

The pensioner abandoned his shopping on the conveyor belt and left the store - but not before demanding a complaints form and phone number for Morrisons' headquarters.

Mr Ralls said: "It is bureaucracy gone mad. If the check-out lady, who was about 40, had asked me with a twinkle in her eye perhaps I would not have been so tetchy.

"But she asked me the question with a perfectly straight face and I said I wouldn't dignify the question with an answer.

"And if the manager had explained that all the staff had to ask everyone because they had previously been fined, but said I was clearly over 21, it would have been fine - but he showed no sense of humour."

A Morrisons spokesman said: "We take our responsibility with regard to selling alcohol very seriously and all our stores operate the Task 21 scheme, which addresses the difficulties our staff face in being able to determine if a customer is legally old enough to buy alcohol.

"To further limit any element of doubt staff at the West Kirby store are required to ask anyone buying alcohol to confirm that they are over 21."

Ok, on the surface it's funny. But then on second thoughts it seems to be a case of beauracracy gone mad.

It is on third thoughts that the episode is truly chilling - surely the Stepford Citizen Assimilation program is much further ahead in the UK than first thought; pubic workers can now be commanded to carry out the most ridiculous and questionable commands without those workers questioning or thinking but merely carrying out the commands with Teutonic efficiency and a lack of sense of humour to match.

We should all be a little more afraid then before....
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #2 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

But then on second thoughts it seems to be a case of beauracracy gone mad.

This is a store policy.

Elsewhere, generally anyone appearing over 30-some doesn't get carded as a practical matter.
post #3 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

This is a store policy.

Elsewhere, generally anyone appearing over 30-some doesn't get carded as a practical matter.

Actually it isn't....the stores have to subscribe to this Task 21 scheme or risk being fined.
post #4 of 30
Quote:

Actually it isn't....the stores have to subscribe to this Task 21 scheme or risk being fined.

That is the store's policy.
post #5 of 30
What the hell is the world coming to?

I think sometimes we all need to learn how to live life a little more laid back like the French do.

It is getting harder and harder to buy / order anything without being asked a thousand questions. Would you like a muffin today with your coffee? Do you have our readers advantage card. "With the readers advantage card you can yada yada yada"..... Just give me a damn cup of coffee.... PLEASE...... NO muffin,,,, no stupid card. Just a damn cup of coffee? ok?

The problem with these young dip shit clerks today is that by the time they run their canned "programed" corporate PUSH bullshit on you then you don't even want a f*cking cup of coffee or what have you.

Rant over.

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34

post #6 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

What the hell is the world coming to?

i think its pretty clear that the world is being consumed by greed.
post #7 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

And stupidity - don't forget stupidity.
post #8 of 30
Quote:

And stupidity - don't forget stupidity.

so nearly wrote that too...

I've realised that there is only one way to be free from all this. I'm selling or sold everything I own bar my bed, computer, hi-fi and car. I was so happy when the TV left the building...

I realise that all I need now is sleep, my portal to knowledge, music and my car to go see my friends and go to work. Everything else is just accumulated shit I dont need. The world has been brainwashed into thinking that to possess things makes you happy, but really the things possess you and make you sad.
post #9 of 30
Quote:

so nearly wrote that too...

I've realised that there is only one way to be free from all this. I'm selling or sold everything I own bar my bed, computer, hi-fi and car. I was so happy when the TV left the building...

I realise that all I need now is sleep, my portal to knowledge, music and my car to go see my friends and go to work. Everything else is just accumulated shit I dont need. The world has been brainwashed into thinking that to possess things makes you happy, but really the things possess you and make you sad.

Well, don't be too hasty.

Cheer up and look at the bright side - Mourinho's been sacked...life is good.....
post #10 of 30
Quote:

Well, don't be too hasty.

Cheer up and look at the bright side - Mourinho's been sacked...life is good.....

funny, when I read that this morning I immediately thought of you and our conversation about comedy gold!
post #11 of 30
Quote:

funny, when I read that this morning I immediately thought of you and our conversation about comedy gold!

post #12 of 30
If I was the clerk and the (clearly over 21 customer) said he wouldn't dignify the question with a response, my reply would be, "Thank you for verifying your age sir. Here's your wine and have a nice day."

Done.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #13 of 30
Please know that I was the clerk in the above mentioned story. It is not as described.

The man did not look 72. He looked, now that I think about it, in his late 60s.

And anyone who looks 60s-ish could very well be an old 50.

And if you're an old 50, what stops you from being 40 after years of tanning and subsequent skin degradation.

And if you're 40, you might be 30, with some kind of genetic predisposition to premature aging.

And if you're 30, what's 10 years among friends, which brings you down to a cool 20, an age at which you would not be permitted to buy booze.

Thus, you can see, any rational clerk would have done the same. I am sorry that the man I now know to be over 70 reacted in such an ironically childish way. It is all for the good, I suppose, as he is probably drinking too much anyway and could use a few days to dry out.

I'm glad to have this opportunity to clear up any misunderstandings regarding the incident.
post #14 of 30
This is more about the drive to have identification on one's person at all times, in the US as well as the UK. The shape of things to come, and seemingly "welcomed" by 70% of the public, in a poll asking about surveillance....

<<<<<<!YOUR PAPERS PLEASE!>>>>>>
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #15 of 30
Quote:

The world has always been consumed by greed. The problem isn't greed, it's greed when accompanied by non-capital capabilities. When greed is tied to money, there's a natural balance. When politicians and lawyers are too eager to make it look like they are making a difference, somehow, then greed goes sour. Indeed, anti-greed is the problem.

Obviously, the store is interested in selling merchandise. It's not the store's fault, it's the political impetus that has encouraged them to adopt such policies. Ultimately, this is tied to positions of anti-greed: kissing babies, healh-care, protecting the youth from the dangers of alcohol. . . these are all the duties of anti-greed.
Cat: the other white meat
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

The world has always been consumed by greed. The problem isn't greed, it's greed when accompanied by non-capital capabilities. When greed is tied to money, there's a natural balance. When politicians and lawyers are too eager to make it look like they are making a difference, somehow, then greed goes sour.

Obviously, the store is interested in selling merchandise. It's not the store's fault, it's the political impetus that has encouraged them to adopt such policies.

People have to be turned into subservient unquestioning bots who unflinchingly carry out orders without any form of reflection.

This process is underway and the more it succeeds the more of these incidents you will see.

It really is that simple. Greed has nothing to do with it other than being another rather crude method of conditioning if all else fails.
post #17 of 30
Quote:

People have to be turned into subservient unquestioning bots who unflinchingly carry out orders without any form of reflection.

This process is underway and the more it succeeds the more of these incidents you will see.

It really is that simple. Greed has nothing to do with it other than being another rather crude method of conditioning if all else fails.

Either way, this isn't a new phenomenon.
post #18 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Either way, this isn't a new phenomenon.

but the scale and depth of it is.
post #19 of 30
I've always thought that there are two kinds of people in this world:

People who get it...and people who don't.
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

Which are you?
post #21 of 30
The title of this post should be changed to "Old asshole pisses people off and gets refused service".

"bureaucracy gone mad" would be if the store would be forced to make a sale to someone who refused to comply with the conditions it sets for the sale of whatever merchandise it decides to sell.
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

That is the store's policy.

Welcome to the nanny state

I need to see your DL....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W2kEzyjScg

Fellows

post #23 of 30
um, this isn't nanny state stuff.
post #24 of 30
No, it's commercial policy, but saying it's a "nanny state" makes him sound so much cooler!

He's "V for Vendetta" kinda cool!
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddits View Post

Which are you?

I'm not going to dignify that question with an answer.
post #26 of 30
At times, it seems like we're living in the "Big Brother" era; however, it's been going on for a long time.
While in the Air Force, I was asked to write a paper on a piece of top secret test equipment I had been working on. It was to be presented to field grade and general officers. On the morning of the presentation, I attempted to enter the hall where it was being held. I had gotten there early as I had assumed I was to give the presentation. I was stopped at the door and told I couldn't enter. I told the Lt. I had written the paper and he told me I was NOT on the need-to- know list. I didn't argue. As Jeff Foxworthy says, "You can't fix stupid."

Red tape is bound to drag us down. Look at the Homeland Office directive that airport security can't profile the very people they are trying to stop. "Don't check that young mid-East guy who's acting suspiciously. Instead, check out that old lady in the wheelchair."
ADS
ADS
post #27 of 30
So how long before every public washroom has to hire someone at the door to ask and verify the sex of the individual to ensure the enter the correct one?
post #28 of 30
What a big deal over something so stupid...

people just need to be nice and happy
post #29 of 30
Quote:

I'm not going to dignify that question with an answer.

How recursive of you. In turn, I will not dignify your response with one of my own.
post #30 of 30
Quote:

I am one of the get it people because when asked "Are you over 21?" I say yes. Bingo, I get my wine..
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Man 72 refused alcohol purchase because of age