or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Software › Sorry...another dual boot question: OSx & Leopard
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sorry...another dual boot question: OSx & Leopard

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
I have seen some postings on this before but still haven't read anything definitive. I am ordering a new 15" MacBook Pro Duo2 Core over the weekend or next week. Any reason why I can't boot camp both OS 10.4.1 with Leopard when ever it comes out? I am interested in doing this so I can become familiar with both.

Or would it be better to wait and buy my new unit with Leopard as the incumbent OS & boot camp installed as a new unit and buy an OEM pack of OSx and install it on the another partition?
tks,
mike
If you can't dazzle them with dexterity...baffle them with bullsh*t!
Reply
If you can't dazzle them with dexterity...baffle them with bullsh*t!
Reply
post #2 of 5
Yes, it quite easy.

2 Options:

1. Divide your current hard drive into 2 (or more) partitions. Install Leopard on one, and your other version of OS X on the other.

2. Get an external drive and instill Leopard on that. It's best to go with a Firewire enclosure. Not all Macs can boot off USB, but they can all boot Firewire.

With either option choosing the statup drive is as easy and selecting it from the Startup Disk System Preference. Also, you can hold down the Option key while the Mac is booting, and then select the boot drive of your choice.
post #3 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarl View Post

Yes, it quite easy.

2 Options:

1. Divide your current hard drive into 2 (or more) partitions. Install Leopard on one, and your other version of OS X on the other.

2. Get an external drive and instill Leopard on that. It's best to go with a Firewire enclosure. Not all Macs can boot off USB, but they can all boot Firewire.

With either option choosing the statup drive is as easy and selecting it from the Startup Disk System Preference. Also, you can hold down the Option key while the Mac is booting, and then select the boot drive of your choice.

Great then I guess I have two choices in my buying decision:
1. Go ahead and order my macbook pro with the latest Tiger build and spend the extra $$ & purchase bootcamp (unless theres a free ware version) and also buy Leopard OEM pack when it comes out....or

2. Wait & buy my mac when Leopard finally hits the street. This will save me of having to buy boot camp at least. But I will still have to buy an OEM pack of Tiger (should be cheaper once Leopard's out).

Option 2 is probably the least expensive way...mostly comes down to my patience level at this point....I can't wait to dump my Windoze.
tks,
If you can't dazzle them with dexterity...baffle them with bullsh*t!
Reply
If you can't dazzle them with dexterity...baffle them with bullsh*t!
Reply
post #4 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDKING View Post

Great then I guess I have two choices in my buying decision:
1. Go ahead and order my macbook pro with the latest Tiger build and spend the extra $$ & purchase bootcamp (unless theres a free ware version) and also buy Leopard OEM pack when it comes out....or

2. Wait & buy my mac when Leopard finally hits the street. This will save me of having to buy boot camp at least. But I will still have to buy an OEM pack of Tiger (should be cheaper once Leopard's out).

Option 2 is probably the least expensive way...mostly comes down to my patience level at this point....I can't wait to dump my Windoze.
tks,

Never mind...stupid me! Boot camp is free from apple http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/
So I think I'll go and order my macbook pro next week with the latest Tiger....Apple just released the last two fixes for it this week to close it out anyway. At least if I run into third party driver isssues or minor bus with Leopard I'll have Tiger to fall back on.
tks for the procedure,
If you can't dazzle them with dexterity...baffle them with bullsh*t!
Reply
If you can't dazzle them with dexterity...baffle them with bullsh*t!
Reply
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDKING View Post

I have seen some postings on this before but still haven't read anything definitive. I am ordering a new 15" MacBook Pro Duo2 Core over the weekend or next week. Any reason why I can't boot camp both OS 10.4.1 with Leopard when ever it comes out? I am interested in doing this so I can become familiar with both.

Or would it be better to wait and buy my new unit with Leopard as the incumbent OS & boot camp installed as a new unit and buy an OEM pack of OSx and install it on the another partition?
tks,
mike

BootCamp is only needed when you need to run Windows on a Mac.

Just for running two Mac OS versions on the same computer, partition the drive, as stated above, install both OS's and that's it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Software
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Software › Sorry...another dual boot question: OSx & Leopard