or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Thin Apple notebooks may come clad in black aluminum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thin Apple notebooks may come clad in black aluminum - Page 5

post #161 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberamd View Post

My reason was that I would feel that it would be extremely fragile (as I stated in what you quoted). I pick up my Dell E1505 and I feel like I could drop it from great heights and have no harm done to it (which I have done by accident, fell off my 5" tall bed in my dorm last year onto a tile floor). However I would not ever want to drop my MacBook from that height, as users complain about their MacBooks casing coming apart from simple use (see appledefects list of complains for Macbooks basicly unsealing themselves).

Now take the weight of my macbook which I am already paranoid I will damage, cut it in half, and you have a notebook so light that I would live in fear carrying it in my backpack with my calc books, and all my other school stuff.

Now this is just my opinion, as everyone is entitled to theirs. I am a member of, like I said in a previous post, the "if it's heavy, it's expensive" club. Small notebooks with screens < 13" are just not for me. I had a incredibly light Compaq v2000 and the thing felt like a toy. Not for me.

To me the current weight of the Macbook works great, I can watch DVD's in the car without a bump sending it flying in the air, and I can carry it around safely in my backpack with little worries (I worry a bit but thats because it is still around a week old, and scratch free thanks to Marware products).

You do realise that what you ae saying goes against the laws of physics?

The more mass an object has, the more potential energy it has. If you drop it, it suffers more from that drop than a similar object that weighs less.

Assuming two items that are equal in build quality, the heavier one will always,suffer more damage from a drop than the lighter one.

If Apple designs a product with the more advanced materials then it will be sturder than one with heavier, but less advanced, materials.

Weight has nothing to do with duribility by itself, except for what I said above.

If the expensice carbon fiber materials are properly used for a case, along with proper shock mounting inside, a fall will result is less damage than the aluminum cases used now. The fiber cases distribute the shock throughout the case and allow the flex that acts as a shock absorber. Metal, has far less ability to do that.

It's simlar to the concept of kevlar vests. They are far more effective in distributing the shock over the entire vest than a rigid metal sheet would, yet weigh far less.
post #162 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

OK, I assume those are the ultraportable batteries. My Compaq's battery is about 0.85, I thought it was more than that, its total weight is comparable with a MacBook Pro. My sister has my MBPro, so I can't check that.

They are for that 11.1" 2.26 pound (without battery) Sony we talked about a few days ago.
post #163 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You do realise that what you ae saying goes against the laws of physics?

The more mass an object has, the more potential energy it has. If you drop it, it suffers more from that drop than a similar object that weighs less.

Assuming two items that are equal in build quality, the heavier one will always,suffer more damage from a drop than the lighter one.

If Apple designs a product with the more advanced materials then it will be sturder than one with heavier, but less advanced, materials.

Weight has nothing to do with duribility by itself, except for what I said above.

If the expensice carbon fiber materials are properly used for a case, along with proper shock mounting inside, a fall will result is less damage than the aluminum cases used now. The fiber cases distribute the shock throughout the case and allow the flex that acts as a shock absorber. Metal, has far less ability to do that.

It's simlar to the concept of kevlar vests. They are far more effective in distributing the shock over the entire vest than a rigid metal sheet would, yet weigh far less.

What are the chances a lighter macbook will be created with an equal build quality? Get real I am not stupid I realize if you drop two EQUAL quality items the heavier of the two will take more damage, however as I already stated given Apple's track record with quality of casing do you really expect a laptop weighing lighter than a macbook to be build as sturdy?
post #164 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberamd View Post

What are the chances a lighter macbook will be created with an equal build quality? Get real I am not stupid I realize if you drop two EQUAL quality items the heavier of the two will take more damage, however as I already stated given Apple's track record with quality of casing do you really expect a laptop weighing lighter than a macbook to be build as sturdy?

Sure, because shaving off weight doesn't necessarily mean using 'cheaper' materials. There are plenty of materials stronger and lighter than what's used in Macbooks currently.
post #165 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberamd View Post

What are the chances a lighter macbook will be created with an equal build quality? Get real I am not stupid I realize if you drop two EQUAL quality items the heavier of the two will take more damage, however as I already stated given Apple's track record with quality of casing do you really expect a laptop weighing lighter than a macbook to be build as sturdy?

I am "getting real". Did you read all of what I've said in my past few posts? Apparently not.

Apple, like all companies whose products evolve, learns from past mistakes. Their computers have been no more vulnerable to banging or dropping than other manufacturers products.

Remember that Apple isn't competing with Panasonic's "Tuff Book". These aren't jobsite machines.

If you drop any portable, you are lucky if something doesn't get damaged. The only question is when will it happen, and how bad will it be?
post #166 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

If you drop any portable, you are lucky if something doesn't get damaged. The only question is when will it happen, and how bad will it be?

Yeah. Actually, Apple's one of the few companies that even thought about that sort of thing; hence, the MagSafe (saved quite a few laptops I bet since it was introduced; more than a tougher body would). Apple gets points for that one in my book.
"I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused."
Macbook Pro 2.2
Reply
"I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused."
Macbook Pro 2.2
Reply
post #167 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I am "getting real". Did you read all of what I've said in my past few posts?
Remember that Apple isn't competing with Panasonic's "Tuff Book". These aren't jobsite machines.

If you drop any portable, you are lucky if something doesn't get damaged. The only question is when will it happen, and how bad will it be?

1) I wish they would - or that someone would come out with a 3rd party shockproof cover for the MBP. I need rugged a lot more than I need ultra-thin.

2) This is true. Does anyone seriously think Sony worry about people dropping the Vaio?

Personally I don't think Apple are going to come out with a PDA and a sub 13" MB/MBP. I think we'll get a PDA and a 13", slightly thinner MBP. Does anyone else remember that rumoured bulk order for 13" LCD screens that came out just before the latest MBPs were released? Gotta come out sometime soon...
MATTE MATTERS
Reply
MATTE MATTERS
Reply
post #168 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue68 View Post

1) I wish they would - or that someone would come out with a 3rd party shockproof cover for the MBP. I need rugged a lot more than I need ultra-thin.

2) This is true. Does anyone seriously think Sony worry about people dropping the Vaio?

Personally I don't think Apple are going to come out with a PDA and a sub 13" MB/MBP. I think we'll get a PDA and a 13", slightly thinner MBP. Does anyone else remember that rumoured bulk order for 13" LCD screens that came out just before the latest MBPs were released? Gotta come out sometime soon...

I believe there is a company that will ruggedize your mac....maybe. I know they did XServes and the cost a pretty penny. I also read a blog or something of someone that brought their personal MB or MBP into a sea of Panasonic Toughbooks in Iraq so its not that horrid.

Get a pelican case. Its not shockproof but it will make your MBP pretty rugged when not open. They even have a 17"model that works with the MBP: http://josephlinaschke.blogspot.com/...-pro-case.html

Heh, I eventually decided to just use my ToughBook in the field and skipped buying this.
post #169 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

I believe there is a company that will ruggedize your mac....maybe. I know they did XServes and the cost a pretty penny. I also read a blog or something of someone that brought their personal MB or MBP into a sea of Panasonic Toughbooks in Iraq so its not that horrid.

Get a pelican case. Its not shockproof but it will make your MBP pretty rugged when not open. They even have a 17"model that works with the MBP: http://josephlinaschke.blogspot.com/...-pro-case.html

Heh, I eventually decided to just use my ToughBook in the field and skipped buying this.

I went with TechShell, a polycarbonate mold that fits perfectly over your Mac notebook. The additional assistance with severe impact will be minimal but it's great for allowing me to be toss it around without worrying about scratching. Except for the touchpad,which isn't protected,my black MacBook looks like new.

My only complaint is that I had to Dremel a TechShell port to allow my Kensignton lock to attach correctly. The included slot was large enough for the pin but wouldn't let the lock get close enough to the Macbook casing.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #170 of 177
i believe Apple will just add another member to their portable product line. look how many kinds of ipods they have, they divide their product for each type of consumer - professional, trendy, lightweight and something-in-the-middle. doesn't that make their current laptops line seem pretty narrow? i think so, yes.

they will leave mommy & daddy MacBook and MacBook Pro - and add this newborn MacBooklet! (catchy isnt it?)

all three products will be upgraded, same old macbook WITH cd drive and spinning hd, new slimy macbook with/without everything discussed above.
post #171 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You do realise that what you ae saying goes against the laws of physics?

The more mass an object has, the more potential energy it has. If you drop it, it suffers more from that drop than a similar object that weighs less.

Assuming two items that are equal in build quality, the heavier one will always,suffer more damage from a drop than the lighter one.

If Apple designs a product with the more advanced materials then it will be sturder than one with heavier, but less advanced, materials.

Weight has nothing to do with duribility by itself, except for what I said above.

That's another
Oh Snap!!!! for melgross
post #172 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

That's another
Oh Snap!!!! for melgross

post #173 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I am "getting real". Did you read all of what I've said in my past few posts? Apparently not.

Apple, like all companies whose products evolve, learns from past mistakes. Their computers have been no more vulnerable to banging or dropping than other manufacturers products.

Remember that Apple isn't competing with Panasonic's "Tuff Book". These aren't jobsite machines.

If you drop any portable, you are lucky if something doesn't get damaged. The only question is when will it happen, and how bad will it be?

Now now, not ALL companies learn from their past mistakes.
post #174 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Now now, not ALL companies learn from their past mistakes.

Yes, that's true. It's also why they do poorly, or even go out of business.
post #175 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Yes, that's true. It's also why they do poorly, or even go out of business.

And I always question what on earth they were thinking. Do you think companies look at reviews of their own product? You think they'd see the phrase "horrendous battery life" and be like, oh, maybe we should fix that. What do you think they're more concerned with?
post #176 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

And I always question what on earth they were thinking. Do you think companies look at reviews of their own product? You think they'd see the phrase "horrendous battery life" and be like, oh, maybe we should fix that. What do you think they're more concerned with?

Those are very good questions. I wonder about them myself.

Most of the time companies don't go on the net and read what's out there.

They do read Consumer's Reports, and a few other publications.

I'm sure apple is aware of public outcries, if anywhere, on their own forums, and in the newspapers. But, do they care? That's a difficult question.

Sometimes companies can be very stubborn. It goes to both the leadership, and corporate structure. But, it also depends on just how many people they think are really protesting. It also depends on the publicity, both good and bad, they are getting on an issue.

Sometimes it costs so much to change what seems to the consumer to be an easy problem to fix, that it doesn't happen at all. The new model might incorporate it instead.

I'm speaking from having a background in manufacturing and design, so it's happened to me.
post #177 of 177
I think the optical drive situation only exists for us, as power users, and probably multi-Mac (or at least multiple computer) users. While we might not mind constraints on the optical drive because we have a second computer, most people only have one computer. I know that I wouldn't mind if it didn't have a DVD drive altogether, as I would usually do anything DVD related on my Mac Pro.

That said, for an ultra-portable user, the idea of "The DVD drive stays on my desk with the printer" might work. Most DVD uses can wait until you're home, or the stuff can be ripped off the DVD before hand.

Can't resist (sorry guys):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gon View Post

"Don't have your own backups?" "Online data servers?"

For a warez kid you're remarkably out of touch with technology. Unless your time is worth *nothing* you don't mess around making backups of a large media library to DVDs. That's why they invented hard drives. Just with four decent-sized hard drives you have 1.5 terabytes of RAID 1 storage, and presto, there's your backup too.

Realistically, you can do a RAID 5 of 4 500 GB drivers in under $500. You can add two other HDDs for another $100 each. A cheap Motherboard with 1 GB RAM, some Linux server distro (free) and a case isn't more than another few hundred. You have the real deal which can hold more than you can download in a year (bloody pirate) for under a thousand (say 2.5 TB for $1000, with 3.75 TB at about $1600, and 6 TB at $2500). Really, you can get bigger with a better MB and case. There exist stand-alone NAS units, which, while not price-competitive, are one-click setup. This is either built yourself or single-purchase CE, there's no continuing payments or internet access required, just a basic LAN cable or wireless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

You just dated yourself grandpa by saying warez kid lol who the f%$@ says that anymore? Wired mag?

Even if "warez kid" is out of style, it's like what, 3 years out of style? Sure, that's like half your life, but it's really not a long time. Try listening to your elders for a change. You do not, in fact, know everything. Really, you come across as knowing little outside of how to use bittorrent and what you read on digg.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Thin Apple notebooks may come clad in black aluminum