or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › I made a music video that expresses my feelings toward Public School.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I made a music video that expresses my feelings toward Public School. - Page 2

post #41 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post

Let me see it.

You would want to see it.
post #42 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

People who actually want their children to get an education.



while I DO believe that, I really said it just to yank your chain ... a little fun here.



Fine, then let me rephrase the question.

Hellgate, defend the virtues of homeschooling in the very best way: by demonstrating that, having been homeschooled, you can respond intelligibly to the musical questions I asked you above.
post #43 of 146
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddits View Post



Fine, then let me rephrase the question.

Hellgate, defend the virtues of homeschooling in the very best way: by demonstrating that, having been homeschooled, you can respond intelligibly to the musical questions I asked you above.

I've sent you a PM answering all your questions. Get back to me.
post #44 of 146
Quote:
I started playing piano when I was 3, when I began playing pieces by Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, and Purcell on the piano by ear. I'll be uploading videos of that shortly. I began composing at age 7, and had written a few orchestral pieces including 2 classical style symphonies, by age 12. I now do alot of improvising on the piano. I can go on for hours in a new-age/classical style that people have universally seemed to love. I can also of course write out full scores of orchestral pieces, or record new multi-layer music directly on the computer as improvisation or semi-improvisation (improvisation based on a theme I composed).

Everyone is good at something.
post #45 of 146
I can tie a knot in a cherry stem with my tongue.
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
post #46 of 146
^Must be useful for picking up guys at the gay club.
post #47 of 146
You should see it when I do it while composing new-age/classical style symphonies...
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
post #48 of 146
Epic thread. Infinite angst of the first post, fine, multi-page replies,

Public school as I experienced it was not a nazi factory, but for me it certainly was a horrible waste of time and demotivating. A private primary school could have taught the useful stuff in third of the time, without turning so many students against education in general. They handed me top grades for doing nothing. Later in a private high school we went into university level courses, did part-time programming work for the whole duration of the school and still finished in about 60% of the average time the public high schools take.
post #49 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post

I've sent you a PM answering all your questions. Get back to me.

Thanks, got it! Will get back in extremely near future.
post #50 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post

snipe


I used to be just as jaded about high school or "Hell Screw-all" as I called it...but a few years removed and a college degree under my belt, I have a different take: there really is no way for an operation the size and scope of the moddern school to run smoothly without a degree of standards and conformity.you can not stop 100 kids from continuing just because one does not follow the concept...


The real deficiencies in public schools are three fold:

1: not enough attention being paid to the kids who have a slight mis-understanding, a slight mis understanding of a basic consept can be corrected in a few minutes if caught early enough, but it usually isnt caught till a few years on when the concepts build a lopsided structure on the crooked foundation. This leads to students getting low scores, and even dropping out, and also leads into my second point:

2: just as society as a whole, schools do not have a strong enough focus on mental health... I do not mean students in straight jackets here, I mean in stead of trying to band-aid problems like gangs, bullying, and even rudeness in class, the only tools in the arsonal are detention, suspension, expulsion and "special schools" never once did I hear of or witness a bully get counceling for underlying fear and anger issues, a lot of the time fear is what makes bullys bully, and everyone else lives in fear of them:

3: too god damnd much artificial pressure: standardized tests...odd state requirements written by lobbiests for either tree hugging hippies or bible thumpers and not educators, and just the general social stress of high school which is magnified because home is nolonger a safe haven, where the cat fights stop in the school yard they pick back up on myspace, IM SMS etc... in that respect kids today have it even worse than wwe did in 2000-2004

High school is a cluster fuck of hormones with no one to talk to outside of parents (which is awkward for all, and illadvisable or impossible for far too many)

I believe that a focus on mental health durring puberty would revolutionize high school.


DISCLAIMER I AM JUST A COMPUTER NERD, these were my observations and reflecions upon my sentence in High school...
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #51 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

I used to be just as jaded about high school or "Hell Screw-all" as I called it...but a few years removed and a college degree under my belt, I have a different take: there really is no way for an operation the size and scope of the moddern school to run smoothly without a degree of standards and conformity.you can not stop 100 kids from continuing just because one does not follow the concept...


The real deficiencies in public schools are three fold:

1: not enough attention being paid to the kids who have a slight mis-understanding, a slight mis understanding of a basic consept can be corrected in a few minutes if caught early enough, but it usually isnt caught till a few years on when the concepts build a lopsided structure on the crooked foundation. This leads to students getting low scores, and even dropping out, and also leads into my second point:

Early intervention is HUGE where I work. So I disagree with that. EVERY damn kid as an IEP or 504 plan or some other damn thing. It's not about individual attention....it's about kids not being taught that THEY must adapt to the SYSTEM...not the other way around. That's how life works. It's just not how Public Ed works.

Quote:


2: just as society as a whole, schools do not have a strong enough focus on mental health... I do not mean students in straight jackets here, I mean in stead of trying to band-aid problems like gangs, bullying, and even rudeness in class, the only tools in the arsonal are detention, suspension, expulsion and "special schools" never once did I hear of or witness a bully get counceling for underlying fear and anger issues, a lot of the time fear is what makes bullys bully, and everyone else lives in fear of them:

Anti-bullying programs and self-esteem/emotional health are also huge where I work. There are entire anti-bullying systems/curriculums in place, as well as a full time guidance counselor in each elem. school. Many schools are like this. So I disagree.

Quote:

3: too god damnd much artificial pressure: standardized tests...odd state requirements written by lobbiests for either tree hugging hippies or bible thumpers and not educators, and just the general social stress of high school which is magnified because home is nolonger a safe haven, where the cat fights stop in the school yard they pick back up on myspace, IM SMS etc... in that respect kids today have it even worse than wwe did in 2000-2004

I suppose I can't disagree with all of that, though the tests ARE written by educators and never by bible thumpers. I'm just saying.

Quote:

High school is a cluster fuck of hormones with no one to talk to outside of parents (which is awkward for all, and illadvisable or impossible for far too many)

I don't know why you think that. Maybe there is something you'd like to tell us.

Quote:

I believe that a focus on mental health durring puberty would revolutionize high school.


DISCLAIMER I AM JUST A COMPUTER NERD, these were my observations and reflecions upon my sentence in High school...

Gotcha. See my points...I really think you're perceptions are off base. No offense. Just take it from someone that has taught at the elem. and HS level for nine years in two states and three districts. I just haven't seen what you have.....not in rich districts, not in less well off ones.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #52 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post


I don't know why you think that. Maybe there is something you'd like to tell us.



Gotcha. See my points...I really think you're perceptions are off base. No offense. Just take it from someone that has taught at the elem. and HS level for nine years in two states and three districts. I just haven't seen what you have.....not in rich districts, not in less well off ones.

Like I said, I was only one student in one school, in a medium size town, with a wide mix of kids, but being the target of bullies and punks relentlessly probably jades my view of things:

sample 1: kid behind me (who happened to be on the tennise track and some other sports team) wouldn't stop talking during the lecture, I asked him to and he went off, I am talking punching kicking and such...he teacher froze like a dear in headlights...

Example 2: in a typing class I reported a malfunctioning system to a teacher...the system was malfunctioning because someone was running Napster or Kazza or something: I knew a lot about PCs and they knew it and I didn't want to take the blame for it. A kid on the other side of the room called me a "RAT" and took a large nut (roughly the size of a car lugnut) out of his pocket and chucked it at me...direct shoulder hit...the teacher did NOTHING!! I HAD TO LEAVE THE CLASS WHILST THE TEACHER WAS THREATENING ME WITH INSUBORDINATION CHARGES...I didnt feel safe...so I barged into the principals office set the bolt on his desk and said "DEAL WITH THE VIOLENCE PROBLEM" that actually got some results, don't know what happened but the kid apologized a week later and we were pleasant acquaintances the rest of HS...

Sure the kids who tortured me in high school are as far as I know, a lot worse off than me now, but I cant help but wonder if all of those trouble makers could have been turned around into industrious members of society: they were usually pretty smart, they just applied themselves to the wrong things...

Also, the comment about Hippies and bible thumpers, I phrased that wrong: what I meant was that yea, educators write the tests, but they also spend the year teaching you how to pass the test, not how to use and apply the material of the class -- this was a key difference that I loved about college. and as a separate thought, the curriculum in so far as what school kids can and can't read, and what sciences will be taught in what fashion, and even education about how, when, with whom, were etc. they should have sex, appears to me to be WAY too heavily influenced by the fringe groups on the right and left political movements, and not by scientists researchers and educators as it should be.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #53 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Like I said, I was only one student in one school, in a medium size town, with a wide mix of kids, but being the target of bullies and punks relentlessly probably jades my view of things:

sample 1: kid behind me (who happened to be on the tennise track and some other sports team) wouldn't stop talking during the lecture, I asked him to and he went off, I am talking punching kicking and such...he teacher froze like a dear in headlights...

Example 2: in a typing class I reported a malfunctioning system to a teacher...the system was malfunctioning because someone was running Napster or Kazza or something: I knew a lot about PCs and they knew it and I didn't want to take the blame for it. A kid on the other side of the room called me a "RAT" and took a large nut (roughly the size of a car lugnut) out of his pocket and chucked it at me...direct shoulder hit...the teacher did NOTHING!! I HAD TO LEAVE THE CLASS WHILST THE TEACHER WAS THREATENING ME WITH INSUBORDINATION CHARGES...I didnt feel safe...so I barged into the principals office set the bolt on his desk and said "DEAL WITH THE VIOLENCE PROBLEM" that actually got some results, don't know what happened but the kid apologized a week later and we were pleasant acquaintances the rest of HS...

Sure the kids who tortured me in high school are as far as I know, a lot worse off than me now, but I cant help but wonder if all of those trouble makers could have been turned around into industrious members of society: they were usually pretty smart, they just applied themselves to the wrong things...

Sorry you were bullied, but I don't think that's the fault of the system. What you have to understand is that the teacher is really powerless because of the way things are with lawsuits, etc. Back in the day, the teacher would smack a kid like that....pick him up by his hair....and then the kid would get in trouble at home. Now the teacher would be fired and charged with child abuse.

Quote:
Also, the comment about Hippies and bible thumpers, I phrased that wrong: what I meant was that yea, educators write the tests, but they also spend the year teaching you how to pass the test, not how to use and apply the material of the class

That's a bit generalized, but it's true to an extent. The reason is they have to, because they are under pressure to get test scores up not just overall, but across all the disaggregate groups (blacks, hispanics, low income, etc). If any ONE of those groups doesn't make the AYP targets (Adequate Yearly Progress), the school goes into the warning/corrective action phase. And the targets get higher every year. It means that even districts with 90% proficiency on their tests sometimes have "failing" schools. So the teachers are kind of in the middle. I agree it's not right.

Quote:

-- this was a key difference that I loved about college. and as a separate thought, the curriculum in so far as what school kids can and can't read, and what sciences will be taught in what fashion, and even education about how, when, with whom, were etc. they should have sex, appears to me to be WAY too heavily influenced by the fringe groups on the right and left political movements, and not by scientists researchers and educators as it should be.

Well, some of that is to be expected because college is not mandatory. It does seem to me that we've gotten far too much into "edubabble, edumacation" concepts though. We have $30 million football stadiums, olympic sized swimming pools, TV studios, Family and Consumer Sciences with fully stocked professional kitchens, etc.

What we need is a system where students get a solid foundation for their first two years in Math, Science, Reading/Writing/Literature, Art and Music, etc. I am very critical of forced physical education in high school because the reason it was put into the curriculum was so we could be More Fit Than The Russians™. In any case, after two years, student should be able to choose a major of sorts: Math and Science, Arts and Humanities or Vocational-Technical.....IF they get the grades in the basics. If not, they get remedial help first.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #54 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post



I really REALLY wanted to respond to your post in the same civilized manner that you responded to mind, but your idea that I might become a school teacher really cracked me up.

I'm heading into the music/film industry as fast as I can. I'm already writing music for an independent film, submitting music to licensing firms, producing my own piano CD's, and editing my first live action short, (that I wrote and directed). I'm planning on making $100,000 a year by the time i'm 25, and $100,000,000 a year by the time i'm 40.

If I become a school teacher, it'll be in a different body, on a different planet, at a different time.

But not this life. Sorry.

Other than that, everything you said had a very valid point, and I admit to the vagueness of many of my statements.

How can you argue that public education is bad if you are a product of it... seeing as you are one of the most awesome people in the world?

But in all seriousness, I don't know how you expect to make it in a cut throat industry like the music/film industry. You are extremely disillusioned. But I must say, you are an excellent argument for your case that public education sucks.

I'm sorry I'm being so spiteful, it's just that your combination of negativity and pomposity is a fairly lethal combination. I leave you some suggested reading: Good to Great.
post #55 of 146
Most of the problems of public school would be remedied by a significant amount by more segregation. When the school has hundreds of students, why not sort them according to how much they have already mastered and how rapidly and deeply they are able to absorb a given subject, rather than class?

A school succeeds when its students learn as much as they can, whether that is a lot or a little. If the school stops teaching after a student reaches a certain level of knowledge, it fails. If the school teaches only facts and not the significance and relationships of those facts, it fails.
post #56 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gon View Post

Most of the problems of public school would be remedied by a significant amount by more segregation. When the school has hundreds of students, why not sort them according to how much they have already mastered and how rapidly and deeply they are able to absorb a given subject, rather than class?

A school succeeds when its students learn as much as they can, whether that is a lot or a little. If the school stops teaching after a student reaches a certain level of knowledge, it fails. If the school teaches only facts and not the significance and relationships of those facts, it fails.

Well...they basically do that now. Leveling has been used for years. The criticism is that it creates lower expectations for certain groups.

As for school's "stopping" their teaching when students reach a certain level, I really don't know what that could possibly mean. Students can go pretty much as far as they want...right through AP classes. What is your point?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #57 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post

I was homeschooled my whole life

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post

I'm planning on making $100,000 a year by the time i'm 25, and $100,000,000 a year by the time i'm 40.

This right here is an argument for public schools.
"How fortunate are you and I.."
Reply
"How fortunate are you and I.."
Reply
post #58 of 146
Thread Starter 
Wow, this thread hasn't been active in a while.

You know, the last time I was writing in this thread, I was on a computer in the lobby of a community college, taking classes that were really boring and pointless, and being accused of being stupid, retarded, or gay, by fellow classmates. Oddly resembling Einstien's experience in school.

I recently quit going there, because as a homeschooler I was never taught to drastically diminish my life goals in my mind in the name of "being realistic." That's why school was implemented in this country you know. How many of you knew that? It was implemented so that the average American would be content with a very modest life, and not want anything more. The owners of this country don't want too many little people rising up out of the swamp of 9 to 5 jobs and slavery.

But anyways, in the three months since I've quit going to the college, i've been steadily earning more and more money each month, and i'm currently earning an income that will amount to about $15,000 a year. I'm not 18 yet. I've also been lined up to compose the score to a couple films, including a feature length film. My website is up, I got my business card printed, my first debut CD of Solo Piano is going to be released within the next month, and things are gonna take off from here.

I know it's a little early to point fingers at the guys who laughed at me when I declared my goals, but I have no doubt that my career will continue to take off in the manner that it has so far. I set goals, and I will achieve them.
post #59 of 146
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
post #60 of 146
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post


I made that post mostly for the sake of those of you that were envisioning me as some failing lunatic who can't interact with people.

Knowing the truth about who I am, what i'm doing, and how successful I am, is beneficial to those who would have automatically thought the opposite if I had not clarified this, because believing a lie just decreases a persons own awareness and intelligence.
post #61 of 146
Some advice: chill out. Don't worry about what a couple of people (who don't know you) said in an internet forum. Good luck.
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
post #62 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post

I made that post mostly for the sake of those of you that were envisioning me as some failing lunatic who can't interact with people.

Based on your experiences over at AN and your brief stay here, I'd have to say you've reaffirmed our "envision".
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
post #63 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post

You know, the last time I was writing in this thread, I was on a computer in the lobby of a community college, taking classes that were really boring and pointless, and being accused of being stupid, retarded, or gay, by fellow classmates. Oddly resembling Einstien's experience in school.

Einstein wasn't bad at school. That's an urban myth. I'm glad that homeschooling is working out for you so well.

You need to stop trying to impress invisible people on the internet and go get a friend or get laid. Hopefully you can do at least one of those without involving your mother.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
Reply
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
Reply
post #64 of 146
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post

Einstein wasn't bad at school. That's an urban myth. I'm glad that homeschooling is working out for you so well.

You need to stop trying to impress invisible people on the internet and go get a friend or get laid. Hopefully you can do at least one of those without involving your mother.

I can do both those things without involving my mother.
post #65 of 146
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post

Einstein wasn't bad at school. That's an urban myth. I'm glad that homeschooling is working out for you so well.

You need to stop trying to impress invisible people on the internet and go get a friend or get laid. Hopefully you can do at least one of those without involving your mother.

I wasn't bad at school either. I was told I was retarded by fellow classmates, because I was thinking differently than they were.
post #66 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post

I wasn't bad at school either. I was told I was retarded by fellow classmates, because I was thinking differently than they were.

Alright, now you're just being petulant. Here's another piece of advice: nobody cares about your problems except you and your mom. If you can make good music, good for you. Get to it.
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
Cat: the other white meat
Reply
post #67 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post

Wow, this thread hasn't been active in a while.

You know, the last time I was writing in this thread, I was on a computer in the lobby of a community college, taking classes that were really boring and pointless, and being accused of being stupid, retarded, or gay, by fellow classmates. Oddly resembling Einstien's experience in school.

So you are Einstien[sic] now?

Quote:

I recently quit going there, because as a homeschooler I was never taught to drastically diminish my life goals in my mind in the name of "being realistic."

And staying in school would have forced you to diminish your life goals?

Quote:


That's why school was implemented in this country you know. How many of you knew that? It was implemented so that the average American would be content with a very modest life, and not want anything more. The owners of this country don't want too many little people rising up out of the swamp of 9 to 5 jobs and slavery.

That is totally unsupported. All of it. In fact, you just made it up.

Quote:

But anyways, in the three months since I've quit going to the college, i've been steadily earning more and more money each month, and i'm currently earning an income that will amount to about $15,000 a year. I'm not 18 yet. I've also been lined up to compose the score to a couple films, including a feature length film. My website is up, I got my business card printed, my first debut CD of Solo Piano is going to be released within the next month, and things are gonna take off from here.

Look..good for you. But if you're going to be a film composer, you need to study with a film composer or go get a degree music theory/composition..unless you're name is Ludwig or Wolfgang.

I also have to call some degree on bullshit on the film score thing. You mean to tell me that someone hired you to write the music for their film...and you're 17 with no experience, no credits and no references in terms of industry contacts? Right. Let me guess...these are "films" made by your friends with a camcorder, some sheet backdrops, and a large basement?

Quote:

I know it's a little early to point fingers at the guys who laughed at me when I declared my goals, but I have no doubt that my career will continue to take off in the manner that it has so far. I set goals, and I will achieve them.

That is a good attitude. But dude...YOU ARE 17 YEARS OLD. Friggin chill already. Successful film composers spend years getting established. I find it hard to believe that you're been "discovered" at this point.

Really achieving your goals is about more than saying "Fuck you guys...I'm determined and I'm going to do it no matter what you say." It's about taking time to learn what you need to learn, improve your skills, network professionally and develop your talents. You come off as impatient in the extreme. There is huge difference between determination to succeed and stubborn refusal to learn.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #68 of 146
I like that the google ad banner below are ads for public school listings...
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
post #69 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

That is totally unsupported. All of it. In fact, you just made it up.

Just because he made it up doesn't mean he doesn't have a point. You might take a good look at this. Or maybe this guy. Or her work (the one about the hidden curriculum of work is especially good).
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #70 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Just because he made it up doesn't mean he doesn't have a point. You might take a good look at this. Or maybe this guy. Or her work (the one about the hidden curriculum of work is especially good).

That doesn't support what he said though.

Quote:
That's why school was implemented in this country you know. How many of you knew that? It was implemented so that the average American would be content with a very modest life, and not want anything more. The owners of this country don't want too many little people rising up out of the swamp of 9 to 5 jobs and slavery.

I'll post all day about hidden curriculums and indoctrination, etc. But proving his statements above would be quite a feat.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #71 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

That doesn't support what he said though.



I'll post all day about hidden curriculums and indoctrination, etc. But proving his statements above would be quite a feat.

Indeed! It's a good thing I didn't post a link to a Gatto essay in which he details the origins of the American educational system in the Prussian model, complete with quotations about why the Prussian system worked the way it did.

Otherwise, I'd just be blowing smoke and BSing and only reading the titles of essays rather than the whole thing.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #72 of 146
He's just a drop out trying to excuse his ineptitude.

The kid sounds extremely sheltered from the outside world. He does not have a good sense of how good he is academically - he never had anyone to compare himself to.

I am sure mummy and daddy just told him he was such a smart boy and he actually believed it.

Now, he finally went to school and realized that, after all, he is not better than most people. He is, of course, in denial.

In any case, if I were in college and someone came to me and say: "Oh, look at me, I am so smartz, I play piano like diblassio since I was three"... "GET OUT OF MY FUCKING FACE"

Who is he trying to impress?

(Side note: I would personally love to think that the reason why I cannot get this fucking triplet representation Higgs mechanism problem right now is because "I am thinking differently")
post #73 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post

I've only registered once here at appleinsider, and I plan to keep it that way. I haven't even been temporarily banned from this place, and i've never been annoying or rude here.


When you fall on your face... you really fall on your face...

Perhaps all these years, your parents, teachers and adult-cult members were all calling you a genius just so they could see you fall flat once again.

This isn't just Caddy Shack level humor, no, this transcends the inability to breathe because you are laughing so hard...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
post #74 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcrusher View Post

(Side note: I would personally love to think that the reason why I cannot get this fucking triplet representation Higgs mechanism problem right now is because "I am thinking differently")

Have you considered all of the symmetry groups?

(and no, I have only a vague notion of anything that has come in contact with the Standard Model...)
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
post #75 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

Have you considered all of the symmetry groups?

(and no, I have only a vague notion of anything that has come in contact with the Standard Model...)

Nah, it's stated in the problem that it only requires SU(2).

I am stuck on the part where I have to calculate the mass of the scalar bosons -- the triplet has three Goldstone bosons but I believe you can do a gauge transformation to get rid of some, if not all, of them.

What I can't/(don't want to) do is write the full Lagrangian density to look for the mass terms.

I hate my life.
post #76 of 146
Thread Starter 
Will you guys just please stop with the inept, inaccurate judgments about me? One guy says "This kid is sheltered and retarded" and the next poster posts based on that and not based on any form of truth. It causes the thread to quickly spiral downward in a landslide of false assumptions about me, that can only end in me losing my patience. I don't want to lose my patience, and I have no reason to. Just please, think about whether you can actually know that what you're saying has any truth to it, before you post it.

@ soulcrusher. I'm not sheltered at all from the outside world. I have a very good idea of where I am academically, and my parents were far from the only people in the world who told me that i'm a genius throughout my life. I didn't "drop out" of college. I never went with the intention of getting a degree. I simply wanted to see what a form of public education is like. The classes were extremely limited in the small campus that I was attending, and the structure of the style of teaching didn't compliment or support the way I was used to learning things and progressing. I didn't find much value in it.

@ hardeeharhar. I haven't fallen on my face. There's nothing wrong with the fact that people tell me i'm a genius, and that I then use that talent to succeed in the areas which i'd like to excel in.

Several months ago, the general attitude in this thread was that I'm not going to achieve my goals. I simply came back here to give a brief update on how I was doing, so that those of you who were 100% certain that I was an incompetent retard, could have the opportunity to question your beliefs.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

So you are Einstien[sic] now?

And staying in school would have forced you to diminish your life goals?

That is totally unsupported. All of it. In fact, you just made it up.

I also have to call some degree on bullshit on the film score thing. You mean to tell me that someone hired you to write the music for their film...and you're 17 with no experience, no credits and no references in terms of industry contacts? Right. Let me guess...these are "films" made by your friends with a camcorder, some sheet backdrops, and a large basement?

Public school was designed to force people to diminish their life goals.

No, I didn't make it up. The beginning of the American Education system was based on the Prussian model, which was designed to create obedient workers and obedient soldiers.

And about the film thing.. well, there was one guy who contacted me via youtube, to score his short film. I did it long distance, by having him send me low resolution quicktime clips from the film, me recording music to them, and then sending him back a scored low resolution clip as well as a separate high quality audio file. I scored his 15 minute film in one day and he was very pleased.

Then, I was at a screenwriters event in the Seattle area, and I introduced myself to this director who was about to start shooting a feature length independent film. I asked him if he had a composer, and he said no. So I emailed him some samples of my music a few days later, and he said he wanted me to write music for the film.

In addition to orchestral and instrumental composition, I also do solo piano improvisation, and stuff like that has been used in meditative slideshows, and also has earned me up to $100 a day in tips in cafes and such. (4 hour days).

I've studied violin, piano, theory, harmony, composition, and conducting in various music conservatories including the New England Conservatory in Boston.
post #77 of 146
You have been 'sheltered'. Terribly, terribly sheltered, and your ability to socialise with others has suffered. We know this, all of us, because we read the things you write; it's as simple as that.

You have problems with status, specifically. Your own self image, so to speak, seems to be of paramount importance to you, and consequently you irritate people.

But the thing is, that's not really you. We're not what we tell people we are. As far as other people are concerned, we're the things we say or do. That's the way people construct their social identities. We've been doing it like that since we gained the use of complex language.

You're not that special. No, you're not. The liberating thing for you should be that no one is that special. I have deeply flawed friends who are far more talented than either of us, and richer than you or I will ever be, or far more famous; I have very content, stable friends who don't have a great deal and can't cook but are hilarious, and friends at all stage in between.

Really the only thing that makes this planet tolerable sometimes is one's ability to speak to other human beings when other human beings are exactly what one needs.

I think you should buy a plane ticket to somewhere they speak excellent English, like Berlin, and go, and stay in a hostel for three weeks, drinking coffee and not telling anyone about your plans. Go to Amsterdam for a couple of days and smoke one ritual spliff so you can say you've done it. Go as far north or south in the Americas as you can, by train. Tell yourself the whole way 'I'm no more or less special than any of these amazing and boring people I keep meeting.'
post #78 of 146
Ditto.
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
post #79 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post

@ hardeeharhar. I haven't fallen on my face. There's nothing wrong with the fact that people tell me i'm a genius, and that I then use that talent to succeed in the areas which i'd like to excel in.

Other than the awkward construction of the second sentence (give me a break, I have been editing prelims for my girlfriend and labmate...), the fact that you believe that people claiming you are a genius makes you one is quite telling... That particular brand of ego stroking is unhealthful.

You need to follow the advice of Hassan and escape... otherwise you will be a broken little man within the decade...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
post #80 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

otherwise you will be a broken little man within the decade...

or a broken, large, man.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › I made a music video that expresses my feelings toward Public School.