or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Safari a focus of Apple's latest Mac OS X 10.4.11 build

Safari a focus of Apple's latest Mac OS X 10.4.11 build

post #1 of 53
Apple Inc. is applying some last minute tweaks to a version of the Safari web browser expected to ship next month as part of the company's final maintenance and security update to the Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger operating system.

Two new builds of the impending Mac OS X 10.4.11 Update were distributed to Cupertino-based firm's vast developer community on Tuesday evening -- build 8S2157 for Macs with Intel processors and build 8S157 for those systems that include PowerPC chips.

People familiar with the releases say each build includes a small fix for Safari's localization support, while the Intel build also addresses an issue with the power management of some Intel-based Macs. The new fixes bring the total number of code corrections in the Mac OS X 10.4.11 update to nearly four dozen.

In providing its developer community with the new pre-releases, Apple reportedly asked that testers help evaluate a handful of areas including Safari, PCI Express cards, FireWire devices and USB audio devices. The company also informed developers to keep a lookout for one minor glitch involving Safari's address bar, which has apparently experienced some re-draw issues in recent builds.

Like the inaugural release of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, Mac OS X 10.4.11 is widely expected for a release sometime during the month of October.
post #2 of 53
Good because I'm fed up of it crashing.

The only reason I haven't switched to Firefox is because I don't like the way it does RSS compared to Safari.
post #3 of 53
It is starting to sound like 10.4.11 is mostly just a roll-up of the latest driver and hotfix releases for 10.4.10. But then, with Leopard expected to debut so closely after (a matter of weeks), I can only assume 10.4.11 is meant for folks not intending to go to Leopard on Launch Day and want an updated release of the last release of Tiger for re-installs or new-installs for sites not moving to Leopard immediately.
post #4 of 53
Leopard on launch day? Are you sure all your apps are going to work? Seems risky to me. I would wait for a bunch of reviews before upgrading. Everything is working good for me now.
post #5 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch1984 View Post

I couldn't agree more. Safari on my new iMac crashes almost every time it opens.
I always have the right answers; you just sometimes ask the wrong questions.
I always have the right answers; you just sometimes ask the wrong questions.
post #6 of 53
I run Safari 3, and while it doesn't crash it, I can't let it sit open for more than 8 hours without the damn thing taking forever to do simple tasks like register type in the address bar. After I quit and reopen it's OK, but still. Something as simple as keeping up with input commands should not be an issue with my $3k superfast computer
post #7 of 53
I hope that the power management fix will help my MacBook Pro to auto-sleep, since now I find either it won't alway sleep whe I close the lid or it won't sleep after the allocated 15 minutes.
post #8 of 53
Which Safari? Version 2 or 3?
post #9 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Experiment_626 View Post

It is starting to sound like 10.4.11 is mostly just a roll-up of the latest driver and hotfix releases for 10.4.10. But then, with Leopard expected to debut so closely after (a matter of weeks), I can only assume 10.4.11 is meant for folks not intending to go to Leopard on Launch Day and want an updated release of the last release of Tiger for re-installs or new-installs for sites not moving to Leopard immediately.

Yep, I agree. Security updates only from then on.
post #10 of 53
Does anyone know if they have addressed rich text editor support? Still doesnt work in anything i've seen. I remember reading somewhere they would address this, but still no luck.
post #11 of 53
Thank god, safari really need some work, I'm sick to death of that shit crashing, but it starts up so quick and feels so light so I haven't stopped using it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #12 of 53
Safari doesn't really crash for me, but what it does do that's annoying is that it seems to grab more and more memory the more you browse, and never lets it go. At some point you start hitting the disk, and then everything gets real sloooooow.

Safari is great when you first open it, then seems to suffer from a major case of 'bad manners'.

Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
post #13 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking View Post

Thank god, safari really need some work, I'm sick to death of that shit crashing, but it starts up so quick and feels so light so I haven't stopped using it.

Which version of Safari do you have? I've been using Safari 3.0.3 Beta for over a month and I don't remember it crashing.
post #14 of 53
Quote:

The only reason I haven't switched to Firefox is because I don't like the way it does RSS compared to Safari.

Safari crashes a lot for me as well.

I went and downloaded it for re-install. When I finished, I noticed I lost the ability to resize the "reply" windows. I wonder if Apple even has the latest version on their site. I don't remember the buikd number.
post #15 of 53
Quote:

I switched to Firefox about 6 months ago after a lot of frustration with Safari. For instance, to display for a certain GIF image, Safari uses 20% of the CPU, while Firefox uses 10%. By the way, I have a MacBook, and I don't know if it's because of the missing dedicated video card that they have to use a lot of CPU power. Safari crashes. Safari doesn't have a "New Tab" button, which I don't really understand why Apple is being such a stubborn! And, one of my favorite feature is Firefox's RSS!
post #16 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Safari doesn't really crash for me, but what it does do that's annoying is that it seems to grab more and more memory the more you browse, and never lets it go. At some point you start hitting the disk, and then everything gets real sloooooow.

Safari is great when you first open it, then seems to suffer from a major case of 'bad manners'.

I mentioned that a while ago, after 10.4 came out, and was lambased for saying it. Several people had claimed that Apple fixed the problem, but, of course, they didn't.
post #17 of 53
Hmmm, I had forgot about installing Safari 3. I guess it must be doing it's job if I don't even remember that i'm using a beta. I don't doubt that it crashes for others, but for me it is stable.
post #18 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I mentioned that a while ago, after 10.4 came out, and was lambasted for saying it. Several people had claimed that Apple fixed the problem, but, of course, they didn't.

People like that can, frankly, suck it. There seems to be an unfortunate competition among some in the Apple community to see who can be the bigger Apple sycophant. This does neither Apple nor themselves any favors.

After all, a company improves through constructive (and accurate) criticism, not through blind, fawning 'yes man'-ship. Even the idiot Wintroll Zealots hardly come around anymore, making the need for Apple zealotry in response even less.

post #19 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny View Post

Which version of Safari do you have? I've been using Safari 3.0.3 Beta for over a month and I don't remember it crashing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Hmmm, I had forgot about installing Safari 3. I guess it must be doing it's job if I don't even remember that i'm using a beta. I don't doubt that it crashes for others, but for me it is stable.

I'm with you two. I haven't had any issues with Safari 3 and enjoy the added features over Safari 2. I am using Leopard so I guess I should be experiencing more issues but I've been stable since I starting using Leopard's Safari, which was before the Tiger/Windows versions were released.I have a laundry list of issues with Leopard but nothing with Safari.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #20 of 53
I gave up on Safari in version 2. Crashed a little too much for me and lacked tabbed browsing. I will give version 3 a try but if it's not more stable than version 2, I'll be back to Camino.
post #21 of 53
Crashes like crazy in Leopard. At least 10 times more than in Tiger (2.x).
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #22 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Crashes like crazy in Leopard. At least 10 times more than in Tiger (2.x).

What about the rest of Leopard?
post #23 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I gave up on Safari in version 2. Crashed a little too much for me and lacked tabbed browsing. I will give version 3 a try but if it's not more stable than version 2, I'll be back to Camino.

What's up with the crashes and bad press ??

I've seldom (if any) have any crash in Safari. If you do, you must be using some sort of Application Enhancer plug-in (also nammed haxxies, like ShapeShifter) or some InputManagers. See if you have a folder called "InputManagers" in your Library or in the main Library folder. DIsable any active haxxies present in the "Application Enhancers" folder you may found in the same Library folders. Then try using Safari again.
post #24 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal007 View Post

I dunno... the fact that it actually crashes a lot, maybe?

The latest version of the beta doesn't crash on me, but an earlier version of 3 did, and I wasn't running any non-standard add-ons or plug-ins like you mention. Guess that's why they call it 'beta'?

post #25 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal007 View Post

I've seldom (if any) have any crash in Safari. If you do, you must be using some sort of Application Enhancer plug-in (also nammed haxxies, like ShapeShifter) or some InputManagers. See if you have a folder called "InputManagers" in your Library or in the main Library folder. DIsable any active haxxies present in the "Application Enhancers" folder you may found in the same Library folders. Then try using Safari again.

I checked and didn't see a folder called 'InputManagers' in my Library.

Safari isn't the worst browser I've ever used. That would be IE 6 on windows.

But it still isn't as stable as camino. I've used Camino exclusively now for about 8 months. It has crashed on me twice in that time. Safari on the other hand would crash about once every 2 or 3 days. Not bad crashes where you have to reboot the computer to resume work, like IE 6 on windows sometimes. But unexpected quits or hangs that required force quits.

I also prefer the tabbed browsing in camino. I'm not a safari hater, but I do think camino is superior. At least compared to version 2 of safari.
post #26 of 53
I wish they would stop referring to 10.4.11 as the final maintenance and security update to Tiger. For one thing, Apple has always continued to release security updates post-release of a new upgrade. There is no certainty people. Expect the unexpected.
post #27 of 53
Quote:

Safari isn't the worst browser I've ever used. That would be IE 6 on windows.

Word. Such a huge POS that browser was/is.

post #28 of 53
Cool! Today in the mountains, tomorrow the world! In related news computer manufacturer Hewlett-Packard now report they have 23,001 outlets in the US alone - plus they're not bound to a specific OS. "Sales are GREAT!" say HP representatives. An Apple representative who insisted on anonymity commented as well. "We have our margins and we're comfortable there. We will soon have 200 outlets of our own and a number of resellers - how few we are not going to disclose."

Go Apple!
post #29 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What about the rest of Leopard?

Networking (LAN) on the new Finder is awesome. No more spinning, no more delays, no more slow iDisk.

Any folder can be shared and you can see who has what sharing privileges in a table of folders and users and privileges.

Despite rumors to the contrary, QuartzGL (formerly called Quartz2D Extreme) is in there and does work.

Quick Look for documents, images and movies works great and really saves a lot of time. Writing a QuickLook plugin for one's particular custom file format is very simple also.

Drag and drop to spring-loaded folders in the Dock !!!!!!

Mail's To-Do lists make having to go to iCal obsolete. The notes feature makes saving random TextEdit files with snippets of stuff obsolete.

I am more interested in the stuff under the hood, and can't wait to have time to really use Xcode 3.0 with Objective-C 2.0 and garbage collection, loops, properties, and factoring.

The new Core Text system is blazing fast.

Nothing crashed on me except Safari 3.0.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #30 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairly View Post

Cool! Today in the mountains, tomorrow the world! In related news computer manufacturer Hewlett-Packard now report they have 23,001 outlets in the US alone - plus they're not bound to a specific OS. "Sales are GREAT!" say HP representatives. An Apple representative who insisted on anonymity commented as well. "We have our margins and we're comfortable there. We will soon have 200 outlets of our own and a number of resellers - how few we are not going to disclose."

Go Apple!

Yaaawwwwnnnnnnn.

post #31 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Networking (LAN) on the new Finder is awesome. No more spinning, no more delays, no more slow iDisk.

Any folder can be shared and you can see who has what sharing privileges in a table of folders and users and privileges.

Despite rumors to the contrary, QuartzGL (formerly called Quartz2D Extreme) is in there and does work.

Quick Look for documents, images and movies works great and really saves a lot of time. Writing a QuickLook plugin for one's particular custom file format is very simple also.

Drag and drop to spring-loaded folders in the Dock !!!!!!

Mail's To-Do lists make having to go to iCal obsolete. The notes feature makes saving random TextEdit files with snippets of stuff obsolete.

I am more interested in the stuff under the hood, and can't wait to have time to really use Xcode 3.0 with Objective-C 2.0 and garbage collection, loops, properties, and factoring.

The new Core Text system is blazing fast.

Nothing crashed on me except Safari 3.0.

Sounds good.

All references to Rez Ind. removed?
post #32 of 53
I haven't had any crashing problems with Safari 3, but I do run out of memory if I have multiple tabs open and leave Safari running in the background. Especially when 'm running NetNewswire and opening stories in Safari for later reading.

FWIW, iTunes also seems to have a memory leak when I use cover flow for any extended period of time.

BTW, does anyone know how to get rid of the brushed metal skin in Safari 3? Not my favorite look.
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
post #33 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

BTW, does anyone know how to get rid of the brushed metal skin in Safari 3? Not my favorite look.

Safari 3 should have a gradient matte grey. At least it does on Windows and Leopard. Uno is the inly app I know of that removes any brushed metal look.
post #34 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Safari 3 should have a gradient matte grey. At least it does on Windows and Leopard. Uno is the inly app I know of that removes any brushed metal look.

Under Tiger it is still brushed metal.
post #35 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac

But it still isn't as stable as camino. I've used Camino exclusively now for about 8 months. It has crashed on me twice in that time. Safari on the other hand would crash about once every 2 or 3 days. Not bad crashes where you have to reboot the computer to resume work, like IE 6 on windows sometimes. But unexpected quits or hangs that required force quits.

Thank you. I can't comprehend why anyone uses Firefox on Macs when Camino is available. It's much more lightweight and Mac-like, but incredibly fast and stable compared to Safari.

Quote:

Huh?? Safari 2 has always had tabbed browsing.
post #36 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianus View Post

Huh?? Safari 2 has always had tabbed browsing.

Safari has a bookmark bar. I don't really consider it tabbed browsing as when you click on the link the page has to open. In camino all tabs are opened and update in the background. Switching between them is instantaneous.
post #37 of 53
Quote:

Thank you. I can't comprehend why anyone uses Firefox on Macs when Camino is available. It's much more lightweight and Mac-like, but incredibly fast and stable compared to Safari.

But does it allow for all those nifty plug-ins that people seem to like with Firefox? I don't use them, but I can see how they can be useful to others.

I do wish Safari would include the feature to open up the previous page after a crash like Firefox.
post #38 of 53
Hopefully the next version won't need a gig of RAM alone.
post #39 of 53
Quote:

Safari has a bookmark bar. I don't really consider it tabbed browsing as when you click on the link the page has to open. In camino all tabs are opened and update in the background. Switching between them is instantaneous.

What you're saying makes no sense. What does the bookmark bar have to do with tabs? "Click on the link and the page has to open"? That's the most generic thing you could say about any web browser on the planet.. how does that not apply to Camino, and again, what has it got to do with tabs? And what's this about "the background"? Switching between tabs is quicker in Camino, as Safari in general seems to be slower, but that doesn't change the fact that it has tabbed browsing. I can't see any significant difference between the two where tabs are concerned other than the fact that the Camino devs were decent enough to provide an optional "New Tab" toolbar button.
post #40 of 53
Quote:

What you're saying makes no sense. What does the bookmark bar have to do with tabs? "Click on the link and the page has to open"? That's the most generic thing you could say about any web browser on the planet.. how does that not apply to Camino, and again, what has it got to do with tabs? And what's this about "the background"? Switching between tabs is quicker in Camino, as Safari in general seems to be slower, but that doesn't change the fact that it has tabbed browsing. I can't see any significant difference between the two where tabs are concerned other than the fact that the Camino devs were decent enough to provide an optional "New Tab" toolbar button.

Safari 2 has a bookmark bar. Is that what you refer to as tabbed browsing? Nowhere in Safari is the word tab. There is no menu that has the 'open as tab' command. Are you talking about version 2 or 3 of safari? Safari version 3 is supposed to have tabbed browsing.

In camino I can open multiple links(web pages) at once and switch between them. That is what I refer to as tabbed browsing. The pages update in the background.

The bottom line is that in safari only one link or web page can be open at a time (version 2). In camino I have multiple web pages opened at the same time and can switch between them. Tabbed browsing.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Safari a focus of Apple's latest Mac OS X 10.4.11 build