or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Gateway hopes "One" will tempt would-be iMac buyers (photos)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gateway hopes "One" will tempt would-be iMac buyers (photos) - Page 2

post #41 of 154
You have to give it to them though, completely wireless. No power cord. I wonder if it will take 20 "D" cell batteries. Makes me think of the movie "Do the right Thing" when the guy with the ghetto blaster is in the liquor store asking for batteries.

--

I am joking of course. so save your blasts.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply
post #42 of 154
Quote:
"Dubbed simply the 'One,'

Probably should be called the "Last" - last chance for Gateway to sell something prior to closing.

"Head em up, move em out" - Rawhide moooooo
OMG here we go again...
Reply
OMG here we go again...
Reply
post #43 of 154
That is by far the nicest looking Windows PC I have ever seen. It actually does have a "cool" factor.
It will be interesting to see what Dell or HP do to copy that.
post #44 of 154
This reminds me of the DELL XPS 2010, a real stinker! What kind of creatures buy these over priced heaps of crap? Even if people MUST run Windows, they could get a better looking, better spec iMac AND buy a legit copy of Windows for the cost of one of those things.
post #45 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Silver with a black front - great idea! And plastic instead of real metal?

Quite a large foot print compare to the iMac's floating zero footprint. (You can fit a lot of peripherals and papers under an iMac, with its flat foot.)

So if the Gateway is almost 4 inches thick, has a smaller screen than the smallest iMac, and STILL can't manage to fit the power supply internally... how did Apple manage to make theirs so thin?

But hey, it runs Windows and is made by a cheap brand using cheap parts (integrated graphics) despite costing more than a Mac And it has a slot load drive down a desktop level where the ejected disc will ram into speakers, backup drives, routers, books and cups of hot coffee.

Why, it costs about the same as a real Mac + Windows installed...



You mean like Apple just DID improve their AIO and lowered prices on the new model by hundreds of dollars?

The reason to want it to fail is because REAL competition should be original and good value, not an inferior knock-off. A failed attempt at an iMac provides no competition anyway.


This is the most beautiful post I have ever seen. The End.
post #46 of 154
Not totally hideous. The best part of it is that's it's not a two-tone look like the current iMac is.

But this does make one thing apparent...Apple can no longer rely on industrial design as it's key differentiator. Sure OS X is also better, but many see Vista as "close enough".
post #47 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

This is where it beats the iMac hands down.
Only retarded people buy a computer which restricts you from replacing the hard drive in-house.

There are serious privacy and security implications to leaving your hard drive for days on a reseller's counter. Especially if your computer is being used for online purchases, small business accounting or credit card processing. The Canadian Privacy Commissioner should caution people against buying the iMac. Maybe then Jobs will get a clue.

While the Gateway's screen is too small, it shouldn't take long for a larger version to become available. While I'm extremely partial to the Mac OS, I would (sadly) counsel friends and family to buy this machine before buying a current iMac.


If it is anything at all like all of their previous all-in-one devices the hard drive is not at all easy to get to, also, most consumers have user changable hard disks now, and they still take it somewhere for service so that argument isn't all that valid, mostly because there are lots of consumers out there now that think all hard disks come preloaded with the OS. (all I have to do is put the hard disk in and turn it on right?)

BTW the current model of the iMac is actually easier to work on that the previous model, everything is serviced behind the screen, take the glass out, 4 screws and the screen is out, hard disk is directly under that. I'd much rather work on the current iMac than the previous iMac.

Apple offers on site service with their AppleCare, if you don't want the computer sitting in a store on a counter, have them come fix it, (Not that technicians have extra time to go through all your personal files anyway. Vista keeps us busy these days)
post #48 of 154



Anyone else notice the vaguely 'last-gen iPod-ish' styling? \

Gateway is kinda pathetic... I still remember their all-in-one computer commercials from a few years back, where the Gateway AIO raspberries an iMac. If they want to be Apple so very desperately, they should just have their CEO start wearing black mock turtlenecks and using the phrase "It's so cool" a lot.




.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #49 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

This is where it beats the iMac hands down.
Only retarded people buy a computer which restricts you from replacing the hard drive in-house.

I think their target audience for an iMac would not replace a drive even if they had access to do it. I don't think that makes them retarded as you say.

Quote:
There are serious privacy and security implications to leaving your hard drive for days on a reseller's counter. Especially if your computer is being used for online purchases, small business accounting or credit card processing. The Canadian Privacy Commissioner should caution people against buying the iMac. Maybe then Jobs will get a clue.

I understand your issue with not being able to replace the hard yourself. Though, I think your concerns are a little off. The demographic of an iMac user is of a person who is not going to change their own hard drive regardless of reason. Most non pro users when faced with dwindling storage space, they buy an external drive. Therefore the most likely reason for replacing a drive in an iMac would be due to drive failure in which case that same user will most likely take it to a pro for at the very least confirmation of its expiration and to replace it. Most users like this will not trust their own opinion to just replace the drive. They will first want a pro to save the data and then replace it. In any case, they are taking it to a shop and leaving it. Doesn't matter if they could do it themselves or not. I think Apple knows this when making their decisions.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply
post #50 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

But this does make one thing apparent...Apple can no longer rely on industrial design as it's key differentiator. Sure OS X is also better, but many see Vista as "close enough".

This makes nothing apparent about relying on industrial design: that Gateway has TERRIBLE industrial design. Optical drive that ejects into stuff on the desk, cables all sticking out of the side (!), external power supply (all-in-two?), no good place for speakers (are they external too?), smaller screen yet taking up far more desk space--and is that a plastic front or real glass? Does it have any tilt adjust?

As for "many" seeing Vista as close enough... "many" needs some clarification before Apple needs to worry. Since Macs are selling faster and faster, while Windows users are clamoring for XP instead of Vista, I think the situation is under control
post #51 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Unlikely given it comes with Intel's X3100 integrated graphics. Does the X3100 even work with Napa?

Apparently not. Odd that they've limited it to 3GB though. Or is that a Windows limitation, not the chipset?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Yes it has a glossy glass screen and brushed aluminum back.

Oh well, that's two AIO computers I'm not buying. I played with a new iMac today in the Apple Store in Manchester today for the first time. Can't stand it. Then went and haggled with the poor saps in MicroAnvika to get them to reduce the price further on the old iMacs they still had but they weren't budging as much as I'd like.

It'll have to be a MacBook Pro next for the simple purpose of avoiding the gloss. I'm quite saddened by being forced to buy a laptop I don't need.

How can people use that kind of shit display? I could see every overhead light, myself reflected in the screen (not pretty!) and everyone walking behind me. Unbearable.


Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Not totally hideous. The best part of it is that's it's not a two-tone look like the current iMac is.

Four tone to be more precise. You forgot the hideous white/silver keyboard and the white/grey mouse. Then of course you've a mix of gloss and matt.
post #52 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

This is where it beats the iMac hands down.
Only retarded people buy a computer which restricts you from replacing the hard drive in-house.

The only reason to replace the hard drive is if it goes bad. The standard drive is HUGE, not to mention the ability to upgrade it when you order. Plus, what stops anyone from buying an external HD to supplement the internal?
post #53 of 154
"Gateway hopes "One" will tempt would-be iMac buyers" is like saying Hyundai hopes its new car will attract Mercedes-Benz buyers because it also has airbags and ABS brakes.
post #54 of 154
http://www.systemshootouts.org/shoot...27_dt1300.html

Since the iMac starts at $1,199, I upgraded it with wireless mouse, wireless keyboard and 320 GB hard drive for an even $100 to bring them as close as possible at the same price point.
post #55 of 154
There is something disturbing, almost obscenely embarrassing, about seeing a grand old ship - one who formerly saw days of splendor and admiration - be reduced to taking on passengers for theme rides, despite the fact that its cruise circuit takes it ever closer to the perilous edge of a niagara of destruction.

One would imagine the roar of the falls alone would cause someone to say "YIKES!! We have to ...(fill in the blank to your liking)."

I remember sitting in another country, seeing an advertisement years ago for this manufacturer, and remarking "How cool! This American company has boxes that look like cowsides."
post #56 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by crees! View Post

The only reason to replace the hard drive is if it goes bad. The standard drive is HUGE, not to mention the ability to upgrade it when you order. Plus, what stops anyone from buying an external HD to supplement the internal?

Adding an external HD is limited by the fact that the iMac lacks Firewire 800.

Wait, never mind... the Gateway is the one that lacks Firewire 800.
post #57 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Gateway is kinda pathetic... I still remember their all-in-one computer commercials from a few years back, where the Gateway AIO raspberries an iMac. If they want to be Apple so very desperately, they should just have their CEO start wearing black mock turtlenecks and using the phrase "It's so cool" a lot.




.

Didn't they also have a commercial where their CEO was dating
a cow? I guess people have different ideas about what is a cool CEO
post #58 of 154
Edit: Har har... never mind.

To completely change the post: I really don't get the Gateway design. Is it tilt adjustable? How low of a desk would you have to be sitting at for the viewing angle to be right? Also, why would they cheap out on the screen? That's the worst thing they could do when making an all-in-one.
I read a lot here, post little.

--------
2.4GHz MacBook Pro
8GB iPod Nano
60GB 5G iPod
Reply
I read a lot here, post little.

--------
2.4GHz MacBook Pro
8GB iPod Nano
60GB 5G iPod
Reply
post #59 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's like a gold-plated turd. You can dress up the outside, but inside it's still pure Micros**t.

And I'll just get my copy of Bioshock for .... oh wait - never mind.

And thanks Apple for crappy laptop video so I can't even run the fucking game in parallels or bootcamp. But hey - it's 1500 for the BLACK! Can't run shit for games - but it's BLACK.

Oh I can also play photoshop. Whee.
post #60 of 154
Looks OK, but I'm not going to pay that Gateway premium!!!
post #61 of 154
something is wrong about it...

it looks like an imac that they flipped on its side and then put a smaller screen in...

do you think it was originally copie.. I mean designed that way? or in a brilliant cost cuttin... I mean engineering feat they where able to solve the zero footprint problem with a Jay Leno chin?
post #62 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgabrys View Post

And I'll just get my copy of Bioshock for .... oh wait - never mind.

And thanks Apple for crappy laptop video so I can't even run the fucking game in parallels or bootcamp. But hey - it's 1500 for the BLACK! Can't run shit for games - but it's BLACK.

Oh I can also play photoshop. Whee.

Did you pay extra for black without realizing it cost extra?

Sounds like you made an unwise purchase if you wanted a gaming laptop. Not Apple's fault that a particular Mac model meets someone else's needs instead of yours. I wish the bottom-end Mac laptop was better for games too, but the bottom-end laptop was never going to be a good Bioshock system. If you expected that, then you did end up with the wrong Mac.

You might have preferred an iMac, which would run Bioshock MUCH better than this Gateway--and cost less--while being able to run BOTH Mac OS X and Windows.
post #63 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post

Why would Apple have a reason to lower prices? The Gateway, on the whole, is more expensive (if slightly at some levels) than the iMac's price points, and 19" all the way up (the loaded model's at a similar price point to the 24" iMac... with more memory, yes, but a much smaller screen)

Competition == good. I'm not sure where it'll be good for Gateway, with those price points, though.



This is Gateway's first attempt. If it has some success, then by version 3 it might be some real competition. I'm still not sure Windows consumers will be interested in an AIO. Are some Windows consumers buying IMacs because they want an AIO? Or is it because of OS X versus Windows? I'm not sure......
2009 Quad 2.66 Mac Pro, 12 GB OWC RAM, ATI 4870, Wi-Fi Card 802.11n, AppleCare, 4 WD Caviar Black 1TB HD's, 2 SuperDrives, 24" Apple LED Display.
Reply
2009 Quad 2.66 Mac Pro, 12 GB OWC RAM, ATI 4870, Wi-Fi Card 802.11n, AppleCare, 4 WD Caviar Black 1TB HD's, 2 SuperDrives, 24" Apple LED Display.
Reply
post #64 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

This is Gateway's first attempt. If it has some success, then by version 3 it might be some real competition. I'm still not sure Windows consumers will be interested in an AIO. Are some Windows consumers buying IMacs because they want an AIO? Or is it because of OS X versus Windows? I'm not sure......

Ummm this is NOT Gateway's first attempt, Look up "gateway profile" on Google.
post #65 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

This is where it beats the iMac hands down.
Only retarded people buy a computer which restricts you from replacing the hard drive in-house.

There are serious privacy and security implications to leaving your hard drive for days on a reseller's counter. Especially if your computer is being used for online purchases, small business accounting or credit card processing. The Canadian Privacy Commissioner should caution people against buying the iMac. Maybe then Jobs will get a clue.

While the Gateway's screen is too small, it shouldn't take long for a larger version to become available. While I'm extremely partial to the Mac OS, I would (sadly) counsel friends and family to buy this machine before buying a current iMac.

You are one paranoid sonofagun.

As much as I'd like all computers to have hotswappable memory units, like some of the powerbooks of yore, I really doubt that the one time you might want to change harddrives in the life of your iMac, the chance of privacy theft is hardly enough to put someone through years of Windows.

That said it looks okay. It is like Gateway trying to split the difference between Apple and Sony design aesthetics - it looks like a short, squat iMac that is trying to pretend to be a tiny plasma screen TV when it isn't on. Kinda okay, but missing the mark of an identity.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
post #66 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

This is where it beats the iMac hands down.
Only retarded people buy a computer which restricts you from replacing the hard drive in-house.

Maybe if you didn't use insulting terms like "retarded" in your posts you wouldn't come off as so ignorant. Honestly, that's something a child would say. Grow up. Most buyers of all-in-one computers never open their computers anyway nor would they want to.

     197619842013  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Reply

     197619842013  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Reply
post #67 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post

You are one paranoid sonofagun.

It's not paranoia if they're really out to get you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

Maybe if you didn't use insulting terms like "retarded" in your posts you wouldn't come off as so ignorant. Honestly, that's something a child would say. Grow up.

Oh dear, I offended the PC police. Whatever shall I do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

Most buyers of all-in-one computers never open their computers anyway nor would they want to.

That doesn't mean they don't ask their friends, relatives or co-workers to do it for them.

Having to take a computer to an authorized service depot to replace a hard drive is silly. I'm glad Gateway has shown us here that it's totally unnecessary. It's embarassing to see Cupertino be out-designed by Gateway, of all people. I've used Apple computers since they came with 9" screens but that doesn't mean I'm going to stay silent while Apple rips people off.

Going for good looks is fine, but forcing obsolescence through such silly control freak measures needs to be challenged.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #68 of 154
Gateway: suckiest OEM in the world. Take away Windows and you have an uninspired version of the new iMac which in turn is only a somewhat inspired copy of ugly Windows PCs - of course with the system in the screen but still and all. You think Apple hardware quality is bad? Step up to Gateway!
post #69 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I wish the bottom-end Mac laptop was better for games too, but the bottom-end laptop was never going to be a good Bioshock system. If you expected that, then you did end up with the wrong Mac.

You might have preferred an iMac, which would run Bioshock MUCH better than this Gateway--and cost less--while being able to run BOTH Mac OS X and Windows.

I need to take a laptop to the office. iMac no workie there sonny boy. Although if I did have a 1500 dollar (or cheaper) Wintel laptop I'd have BioShock bliss. Of course - this kind of featureset seems to escape Apple's tech labs in favor of the "icing on the shitcake" lab.
post #70 of 154
There is more to good design than just a few glossy photos. We as Apple owners take good design for granted as Apple invests time in tuning every single detail and works out the technical implications. No other PC maker (including Gateway, Dell, HP or Sony) does this nor are they actually have the capability to since none of them have full control of the internal hardware of the software. If you were to get up close and use one of the Gateway boxes, you will quickly see how it fails to deliver what Apple does.
post #71 of 154
uh. you can replace a harddisk in an iMac, it's not hard. Anyway most people just buy a USB2 or Firewire disk its much less hassle.
post #72 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

This is where it beats the iMac hands down.
Only retarded people buy a computer which restricts you from replacing the hard drive in-house.

There are serious privacy and security implications to leaving your hard drive for days on a reseller's counter. Especially if your computer is being used for online purchases, small business accounting or credit card processing. The Canadian Privacy Commissioner should caution people against buying the iMac. Maybe then Jobs will get a clue.

Only retarded people would prefer to open a computer up to remove the hard drive for security sake instead of buying an external hard disk that they could easily take with them as they leave.
post #73 of 154
Quote:
I'm glad Gateway has shown us here that it's totally unnecessary.

That "feature" is what makes this thing almost 4 inches thick. If people just are obsessed with the need to swap out/replace/upgrade/remove/change things, they need to just get a tower. Gateway is sacrificing thickness and putting the PS external just to allow some school or corporate IT guys to think they are getting a benefit (they always say they "need to swap out the hard drive").

I wonder if it has the requisite "spare PCIe slot" that everybody wants but nobody ever uses?
--Johnny
Reply
--Johnny
Reply
post #74 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The hard drive is like the cell phone battery. Its going to take a long time before it fails. By that point most people will just buy a new one.



There is a far higher chance more memory will be added than a new hard drive.

Yeah, except I'd rather buy MY choice of hard disk to put into the iMac instead of buying the ridiculous upgrade prices that Apple offers for a hard disk that you don't even know the brand of, e.g. if you upgrade the low-end 20" model from a 250 GB to a 500 GB hard drive you are paying more than what a 500 GB drive costs.

Not to mention the fact that even if you do feel capable of changing the new iMac's hard disk, you will be left with no warranty.
post #75 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stashman View Post

uh. you can replace a harddisk in an iMac, it's not hard. Anyway most people just buy a USB2 or Firewire disk its much less hassle.

That's true for the old models, but the new aluminium models are very difficult to open because of the glass in front of the monitor which is being held by magnets... even repair centers are complaining!

Firewire is really a LOT slower than using eSATA or an internal disk, I know because I am forced to use one right now since my internal disk has just died on me and I can't afford the time to repair it just now...
post #76 of 154
2 hard drive bays, easy user access to all components? These things alone make it a better deal than the iMac, even at a higher price, even with lower video and CPU specs.
post #77 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato988 View Post

This is the most beautiful post I have ever seen. The End.

The only thing I can say is that he forgot to mention the price/specs superiority of the iMac.

And on a related note, this is the point where I laugh at all the 'PCs are so much cheaper than Macs" people. The iMac is obviously a superior product, at a cheaper price point, yet not many people have commented on that yet.
Serving humanity one sarcastic comment at a time.
Reply
Serving humanity one sarcastic comment at a time.
Reply
post #78 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by camimac View Post


Not to mention the fact that even if you do feel capable of changing the new iMac's hard disk, you will be left with no warranty.

You'll void your warranty on the Gateway as well.
post #79 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by camimac View Post

That's true for the old models, but the new aluminium models are very difficult to open because of the glass in front of the monitor which is being held by magnets... even repair centers are complaining!

Firewire is really a LOT slower than using eSATA or an internal disk, I know because I am forced to use one right now since my internal disk has just died on me and I can't afford the time to repair it just now...

The Current iMac is a lot easier to get into than the last 2 iMac revisions, and far easier than any revision of any Gateway all-in-one machine ever was.

I guess I can kinda understand the complaints from some people, although I am an Apple Tech and really have no problem taking apart any of Apple's products, so I'd be doing my own upgrade/repairs. That is the nature of things though, if you can't do something yourself, you can learn how to do it yourself, pay someone that can, no different than a carpenter, plumber, electrician.

Having said that, the number of times last week I've had to charge people $39.95 to install a hard disk into a computer that is "user accessible" is somewhere in the 40s or 50s. Even Dell notebook hard drives that require removing 2 screws, taking no longer than 3 minutes to do. If you don't want a computer you can't change the hard disk out yourself, then don't get that one. But don't pretend for a moment that Apple is the only computer company that makes non-user servicable hard disks. And don't pretend this is a new trend for Apple (it's been that way for years.)

Making the hard drive user accessible is not going to be the deal breaker here. The specs alone not to mention the lower price of the iMac would make this decision easy. Not to mention the fact that the iMac is going to Run Windows Better than the Gateway would.
post #80 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

This is where it beats the iMac hands down.


There are serious privacy and security implications to leaving your hard drive for days on a reseller's counter. Especially if your computer is being used for online purchases, small business accounting or credit card processing.
I would (sadly) counsel friends and family to buy this machine before buying a current iMac.

Very perceptive, and I manage a PC network for my parent's business so in that regard I would agree with you. However, the point to notice is that this PC is targeted towards home users, NOT businesses (since no administrator would choose it as part of a standard network.) As such, we MUST realize that the utter helplessness and total dependance of home users on other people to fix thier Windows PC, with all of thier software issues, wherefore "seedy" technicians that have no other skills except to support home users -- techs who end up "fixing" computers, resorting to readily-available remote access software (such as LogMeIn or GoToAssist) --- the latter is a comparably worse alternative in terms of privacy.
Therefore, for self reliance and security, I MUST recommend a time-tested Mac with the latest version of OS X -- with the included and quite reliable fully integrated Apple FileVault encryption enabled.
That's all the is to it. For home users.
And Apple wants those users, thats who many of these products are for.
Don't be deceived by imitators.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Gateway hopes "One" will tempt would-be iMac buyers (photos)