or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple iPhone update 1.1.1 offers louder volume, adds iTunes

Apple iPhone update 1.1.1 offers louder volume, adds iTunes

post #1 of 162
Downloading it now - shows as 152 MB
post #2 of 162
Wow, that's pretty cool. Will you report on the differences please?
post #3 of 162
Apple Inc. on Thursday released iPhone software update version 1.1.1, which adds access to the Wi-Fi iTunes Music Store, the ability to increase the handset's speaker and earpiece volume, TV output, and several other features.

To download the 152MB update, iPhone owners need simply to connect their iPhones to their Mac or PC and click the "Check for update" option in iTunes.

One more warning:

"If you have modified your iPhone's software, applying this software update may result in your iPhone becoming permanently inoperable," Apple re-warned customers in the release notes accompanying the software download. "Making unauthorized modifications to the software on your iPhone violates the iPhone software license agreement, and the inability to use your iPhone due to unauthorized software modifications is not covered under your iPhone's warranty.

Version 1.1.1 of the iPhone software includes new features, bug fixes and supersedes all previous versions, the company added.

New features include:

iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store
Louder speakerphone and receiver volume
Home Button double-click shortcut to phone favorites or music controls
Space bar double-tap shortcut to intelligently insert period and space
Mail attachments are viewable in portrait and landscape
Stocks and cities in Stocks and Weather can be re-ordered
Apple Bluetooth Headset battery status in the Status Bar
Support for TV Out
Preference to turn off EDGE/GPRS when roaming internationally
New Passcode lock time intervals
Adjustable alert volume

Security updates

In addition to the unspecified bug fixes and documented new features, Apple also said the software update includes 10 individual security modifications. According to a detailed list of security related changes posted to the company's support site, seven target the iPhone's mobile version of Safari, two its mobile Mail client, and one its Bluetooth implementation.

Apple has also updated its iPhone website with a video demonstrating the new features, including the Wi-Fi iTunes Music Store, Ringtones, and more.

Update not third-party app friendly

Much to their dismay, several users of the AppleInsider forums who had installed third-party "hacks" or applications on their iPhone -- but had not unlocked the device from AT&T's network -- report that the software update reverts their handset back to its original intended form.

Update may delete Notes, Favorites

In addition, at least one user has experienced an issue where following the update all of his Notes and Favorites had been erased.

Update:

AppleInsider reader Will lets us know that another cool feature added to the iPhone with the 1.1.1. update is the ability to play MP3 audio files attached to mail. We tried it and it sure does work.
post #4 of 162
TV out! A big deal-breaker has been removed for me.

I inch closer to an iPhone purchase...
post #5 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

TV out! A big deal-breaker has been removed for me.

I inch closer to an iPhone purchase...

Here is the complete list. Updating mine now.

iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store
Louder speakerphone and receiver volume
Home Button double-click shortcut to phone favorites or music controls
Space bar double-tap shortcut to intelligently insert period and space
Mail attachments are viewable in portrait and landscape
Apple Bluetooth Headset battery status in the Status Bar
Support for TV Out
Preference to turn off EDGE/GPRS when roaming internationally
New Passcode lock time intervals
Adjustable alert volume
post #6 of 162
These sound like intelligent updates. Nice.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #7 of 162
Well, it put my iPhone into Recovery Mode. It is currently being erased and restored. Then it is supposed to try to update again. Guess my lunch break is going to run a lot longer than I anticipated. Hope all goes well the second time around.
post #8 of 162

Sweet, I requested this in feedback. I imagine many other people did too in order for Apple to add it.

I had some other stock ticker program requests but those probably got passed over.
post #9 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

Wow, that's pretty cool. Will you report on the differences please?

Took over 5 minutes to install.

FYI I had installed tons of 3rd party stuff (AppTap, etc) and then restored. I had NOT unlocked the SIM

In addition to the above.

1) Stopwatch bug NOT FIXED
2) VPN password bug (only offered number entry) FIXED
3) Mail settings offers access to port assignments in Advanced settings
4) No changes to SMS i can see (don't really use it)
5) No additions to actions on pictures taken (MMS)

That's it for now.
post #10 of 162
A few weeks ago I "hacked" my iPhone using the AppTap Installer... Earlier this week after reading about the possible issues with the upgrade to hacked phones, I decided to restore my iPhone back to its original state (supposedly removing the apps/hacks).

When I attempted to upgrade, I got an error and was forced to do another restore. This time however, I noticed the iPhone's firmware was also being restored. After it finished, it automatically upgraded to 1.1.1 without any problems.

Michael
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #11 of 162
are there any experiences? Will it be possible or do I need to unlock the device again?

Thanks
post #12 of 162
Couple of other things.

1) I lost my favorites list

2) I lost all my notes
post #13 of 162
After downloading the update and attempting an install, it has now put the iPhone into restore mode, and keeps attempting to restore but locks up iTunes after about 5 minutes. Getting concerned!
post #14 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Couple of other things.

2) I lost all my notes

Yeah, the last time I updated the software I lost all my notes, and was pretty ticked when I realized it had happened. For future reference, I highly recommend emailing your notes to yourself because they will be lost. All history as far as texts is lost as well. I have a icon/app hacked iphone and have to decide what the best way to go about updating is. I'll keep checking back for more feedback. I just don't want my phone rendered useless, and this update actually gives us some more functionality.

Now where the hell is MMS? Seriously Apple, it's can't be that hard. Just have the pictures be inline with the text messages, just like with iChat. Honestly, anytime you would like to add that 'feature', I'd be thrilled!
post #15 of 162
Downloaded and installed with no problems. Some nice changes and way better speaker volume. Can't wait for the next update now
Mac Pro Dual 3GHz Intel Core Duo and 30" Display, 15" Mac Book Pro, iPhone 4, iPad 64 3G 64
Mac Pro Dual 3GHz Intel Core Duo and 30" Display, 15" Mac Book Pro, iPhone 4, iPad 64 3G 64
post #16 of 162
I have an app tapped iphone. I am restoring and updating....

Will post as soon as I can after install.
post #17 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashmanBurgess View Post

After downloading the update and attempting an install, it has now put the iPhone into restore mode, and keeps attempting to restore but locks up iTunes after about 5 minutes. Getting concerned!

Getting the Unknown Error occurred (11333)! iTunes Store must be down???
post #18 of 162
Quote:

Was there ever any hacks done on your phone?
post #19 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

Was there ever any hacks done on your phone?

Not one. Ever!
post #20 of 162
Even without the iPhone connected, iTunes refuses to boot up properly. It hangs for 5 minutes and then repeatedly gives me the error 11333 message. When it finally does stop doing this, it does function as long as I don't click the iTunes Store button.
post #21 of 162
i started downloading the update, and it got to "243 mb out of 154".

what does that mean?! hahaha

i restarted it and it is now downloading again.
post #22 of 162
Quote:

Even without the iPhone connected, iTunes refuses to boot up properly. It hangs for 5 minutes and then repeatedly gives me the error 11333 message. When it finally does stop doing this, it does function as long as I don't click the iTunes Store button.

Tried reinstalling iTunes, but this fixed nothing.
post #23 of 162
Quote:
iTunes refuses to boot up properly. It hangs for 5 minutes and then repeatedly gives me the error 11333 message.

Try creating a new user and run iTunes from there.
post #24 of 162
What OS are you using? I hate to suspect that this might be a Windows thing without evidence... You might also try uninstalling and removing any old directory entries (assuming you're using Windows) just in case things aren't altogether being cleaned up, and then re-install iTunes.
post #25 of 162
Just noticed they added an 'Edit' mode to Mail so you can quickly delete multiple e-mails. This is something I was sorely missing.
post #26 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

What OS are you using? I hate to suspect that this might be a Windows thing without evidence... You might also try uninstalling and removing any old directory entries (assuming you're using Windows) just in case things aren't altogether being cleaned up, and then re-install iTunes.

On a Mac with latest 10.4.10. Not a Windows issue. My buddy just told me his iPhone updated no problem. He is however on a Windows machine.
post #27 of 162
Quote:

Couple of other things.

2) I lost all my notes

That's bothersome, given that, last I heard, iTunes doesn't sync or save those things.
post #28 of 162
Great update, I just wish that they would have put more time into things like cut & paste and having sites remember passwords rather than the itunes store.

Also, it forced my wife's stock phone into recovery mode, you might want to sync prior to updating to ensure you don't loose any data.
post #29 of 162
I'm bummed. I was really hoping there would be a Task app introduced with this release. My Treo 650 lives to see another day... \
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
post #30 of 162
Quote:

Just noticed they added an 'Edit' mode to Mail so you can quickly delete multiple e-mails. This is something I was sorely missing.

I don't see a difference with mail editing options..are you sure ?
post #31 of 162
Quote:

Downloading it now - shows as 152 MB

152 MB and this is all we get???

There better be a lot of undocumented fixes and upgrades in this release.

dave
post #32 of 162
I don't have an AT&T sim card and now I can not even access anymore itunes with the iphone.
Thanks for any help
post #33 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

152 MB and this is all we get???

There better be a lot of undocumented fixes and upgrades in this release.

dave

just the leopard stuff that magically appears on 10/05.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #34 of 162
OK, last update I had to do a restore first before the upgrade would work. After I finally got the previous update installed, I reinstalled my custom icons. Since all I had hacked was the icons, and I re-jailed afterwards, I decided to see if the latest update would work. It worked perfectly. I was beginning to get a bit worried, as has been posted already, this update takes a LONG time. Finally, the iphone rebooted, told me is was activating and other than I lost my custom icons, I did NOT loose a single email (3 accts) or any of my notes. Maybe the gods at Apple decided to smile down on me, but regardless, I am a happy camper. I will attempt the jailbreak hack later as I really like my custom icons a LOT better than the stock ones.

david
post #35 of 162
Just spoke with Apple and they were able to fix my problem. Go to Applications>Utilities>Keychain Access, then select the preferences for Keychain Access, go to the certificates panel, make sure both pull downs are set to "Off". Then close this dialog, and then from the Keychain Access menu item, right below the preferences, select "Keychain First Aid". Select the radio button for "Repair" and click the Start button. After the repair, close and now try accessing the iTunes store. This completely fixed everything and now the iPhone is Activated and all is back to normal. Wheeeew!
post #36 of 162
Frankly I expected more.

I see some of you have lost notes and such. The thing with that is that Apple could solve this problem in a couple of ways. One would be to allow disk mode usb connections where backups could be dirt simple. The other would be an on board file manager that would allow you to collect and mange you files on the iPhone. Now for those on this forum that got an indication of a firmware update, has Apple wised up and given us a disk mode yet?

I know this is my perspective but I can't see my self going for an iPhone if I can't in some manner manage the data files and to some extent event the apps on the device. It is otherwise nice to see that at least a few things have been addressed but I'm still perplexed but the updates size and the minimal number of enhancements.

Dave
post #37 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

Sweet, I requested this in feedback. I imagine many other people did too in order for Apple to add it.

I had some other stock ticker program requests but those probably got passed over.

Hopefully they add this feature to their Mac widgets too.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #38 of 162
Quote:

Couple of other things.

2) I lost all my notes

What do you mean by "favorites list"?
post #39 of 162
This is one $%#%&^&^ crappy software update from Apple.

It gave me two sets of error messages the first two times (#13XY and #16XY -- didn't write down the numbers), showed me a triangle with a "!" on the iPhone the third time (with a note saying "Please Connect to iTunes" when the darn thing was already connected to iTunes), and after uplugging and replugging again, it gave me no other option but to "restore and update" the on the fourth try.

Right now, it's saying "Restoring iPhone Firmware" (has been doing that for about 10 minutes)........ Wait, it is now restoring my "iPhone from Backup.".......

And I have nothing but Apple-approved software and updates and ringtones (or anything-else) on my phone!

This is not good. Actually, it is pathetic, Apple!

My advice: Wait a couple of days before you update!!!!!

Add: So far, everything -- incl. my notes -- are still there.
post #40 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Frankly I expected more.

I see some of you have lost notes and such. The thing with that is that Apple could solve this problem in a couple of ways. One would be to allow disk mode usb connections where backups could be dirt simple. The other would be an on board file manager that would allow you to collect and mange you files on the iPhone. Now for those on this forum that got an indication of a firmware update, has Apple wised up and given us a disk mode yet?

I know this is my perspective but I can't see my self going for an iPhone if I can't in some manner manage the data files and to some extent event the apps on the device. It is otherwise nice to see that at least a few things have been addressed but I'm still perplexed but the updates size and the minimal number of enhancements.

Dave

it's a friggin' phone not a pda; can't be everything to everybody. It's a great phone by the way.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple iPhone update 1.1.1 offers louder volume, adds iTunes