or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › What's Your Ringtone?

What's Your Ringtone?

post #1 of 16
Well, spawning this from the "Done as a Society" thread, let's hear what your ringtone is. Also, what format is it in and where did you get it?

Mine currently is a MIDI version of the intro to "Newborn" by Muse. I downloaded it from some web ringtone archive I found through Google. I've been using this as my primary ringtone for about 2 years.

I hate MP3 ringtones. The fidelity of mobile phone loudspeakers is horrible, and I just think MP3 ringtones are ultra tacky, especially since people who like this type of ringtone tend to choose urban/hip hop.

I also like simple "ring ring" type ringtones but I never really hated well-done, recognizable, catchy multitimbral midi tunes. Trouble is, "well-done" is hard to find.
post #2 of 16
It's weird but I prefer the MIDI ringtones as well. It was sort of cool from a musician+geek perspective to see how they would render certain songs.

Last ringtone on my other phone was "I Wanna Be Your Lover" by Prince. The current phone, a Moto Razor is just one of the included ringtones.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #3 of 16
I've made quite a few myself with "MP3 Trimmer"

Just copy pasted the ones I have used over the years

BTW, I name them with an "X" so they all appear at the bottom of the ring tone list in any phone I use them with

x AC/DC Thunderstruck
x fanfare Knives And Bullets (And Cannons Too)
x lapdance NERD
x whistle La muerte
x AmericanBeauty
x 24 Cisco Ringtone
x whistle young folks
x whistle ww2
x Nokia Lounge Version
x Rose Rouge - Saint Germain
x whistle twisted nerve
x The Godfather Theme
x minemine - Finding Nemo
x Lost_System_Failure (this WILL wake you up)
x whistle River Kwai
x Tokyo Drift (Fast & Furious)
x Rolling Stones - Paint It Black
x Jovanotti - Ombelico Del Mondo
x cancan
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
post #4 of 16
I use "Bananaphone" from one of those videos. Ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, bananaphone!
post #5 of 16
Currently "Tone 8." I think 3 years ago I switched from a few years of "Ring 6" when I got a new phone. It's the mid/late-noughts, though, so the "Tone 2" on text messages gets hit up a lot more frequently.
post #6 of 16
MIDI version of the Desperate Housewives theme. On my office phone I have that Cisco ringtone that 24 made famous.
post #7 of 16
A (quite noisy) MP3 of the Star Trek red alert sound used in DS9. Pretty cool.

At least it sounds like a RING tone.
post #8 of 16
i got that iphone-xylophone-thing on my sony ericsson.

it's easy and calm
peve

and by the way...
no. english is not my native language.
peve

and by the way...
no. english is not my native language.
post #9 of 16
It used to be the Galaga intro... now it's the theme song to Happy Tree Friends.
post #10 of 16
2nd movement The Evil God and the Dance of the Pagan Monsters from the Scythian Suite OP# 20 (1916) by Sergei Sergeyevich Prokofiev.
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
post #11 of 16
The greatest fight song in the history of fight songs, of course - The Victors.
MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

post #12 of 16
Here's mine.

i hate ringtones
post #13 of 16
I have an iPhone... what ringtones? \

It's not enough reason to give up everything else good about the iPhone, but I can't put the ringtones I really want on my iPhone, and I refuse to participate in the ridiculous ringtone racket.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #14 of 16
I actually bought one from T-Mobile. It's William Shatner saying, "Yep. The phones ringing. The phone is ringing and nobody is answering the call. What a shame." Now my 6 year old mimics it when the phone goes off...which is throroughly entertaining!

I have another (currently unused) one from Shatner saying, "I'm William Shatner and I'm begging you: Pick up the phone! Pick up the phone...fool!"

I should record my son saying something funny and make that my ringtone.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

I should record my son saying something funny and make that my ringtone.

Except with the iPhone, there's no official way of doing that. Period.
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Except with the iPhone, there's no official way of doing that. Period.

Yeah, that royally sucks. I'll eventually get an iPhone...when it gets a little more mature and my wallet gets fatter.

Right now my RAZR works fine for me...even though I can't see the display in direct sunlight due to the dust underneath my screen.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › What's Your Ringtone?