or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Boycot iPhone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Boycot iPhone

Poll Results: Do you think apple is being too greedy.

Poll expired: Oct 10, 2007  
  • 21% (9)
    YES
  • 78% (33)
    NO
42 Total Votes  
post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
I am ticked that in one fail swoop my productive tool turned into a expensive toy,
That 100% of its design now is to make money for Apple, AT&T, Record companies.


Come on people the biggest change is the addition is a whittled down version of Itunes.
Just so you can spend more money on Apple and if you are in a starbucks I am sure that if you buy a track using their new system they will get a kickback.
IF that is not greed then what is it,
The other change is portrait mode when viewing attachments in Mail. Woo frigging hoo
yes there are others but they a minor to me.

The SLA states that if I don't agree with the above terms I can return the iphone for a full refund and I plan to do just that. I still have my nextel and 30g iPod so I am not losing anything.

Sure I can't do email with my nextel but that is not really important that I get email on my phone.
I have a wireless card with sprint that my job pays for.

Send a message to apple and return your iPhones.

I can't wait to see the reaction of the sales person at the apple store.
post #2 of 35
Power to ya. You don't like it, hope you return it and are happy. Me, I'm getting quite a few of them for friends this Xmas. Makes a great gift.
"I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused."
Macbook Pro 2.2
Reply
"I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused."
Macbook Pro 2.2
Reply
post #3 of 35
Why because there was never an apple sdk and they never said they would support 3d party apps, in fact apple even announced this before the update. What did you think was going to happen, apple would beta test their update on 100s of apps they never wanted to support.

Its your own damn fault for buying one when there is clearly enough information online to tell you about the drawbacks.


Lets all blame apple for your ignorance.
post #4 of 35
"I can't wait to see the reaction of the sales person at the apple store."

Enjoy that, because there isn't much fun in any of this--I'm very disheartened by the way Apple has handled all of this.

Post here and recount how it goes--I'll be surprised if they give you a refund, but who can say?
post #5 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

Power to ya. You don't like it, hope you return it and are happy. Me, I'm getting quite a few of them for friends this Xmas. Makes a great gift.

Who pays for the service when you give it as a gift?
post #6 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post

Who pays for the service when you give it as a gift?

very true, unless is your dad or mother I see no point in somebody buying an iPhone as a gift to someone else. Sure some people will, but the majority of iPhone purchases are for oneself if you ask me.
I want one, who wants to buy me one and pay my 2 year contract monthly bill.
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
post #7 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post

Who pays for the service when you give it as a gift?

I give two years service with it for convenience (billed to me). After that, they're on their own. It's not like they can't afford it themselves, but it's the thought that counts.
"I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused."
Macbook Pro 2.2
Reply
"I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused."
Macbook Pro 2.2
Reply
post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

I give two years service with it for convenience (billed to me). After that, they're on their own. It's not like they can't afford it themselves, but it's the thought that counts.

Will you be my friend?
post #9 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

Why because there was never an apple sdk and they never said they would support 3d party apps, in fact apple even announced this before the update. What did you think was going to happen, apple would beta test their update on 100s of apps they never wanted to support.

Its your own damn fault for buying one when there is clearly enough information online to tell you about the drawbacks.


Lets all blame apple for your ignorance.

Sounds like you work for apple.
And yes they did beta test to kill the apps. And no I did not expect them to kill the productive apps however I did expect them to kill the apps that unlock the phone for use with other carriers.
They even killed iToner from ambrosia.

if apple thinks I am going to pay 1.98 per ring tone for a song I already own on a CD they are sorrily mistaken.
I have been a loyal apple user since 1988 and pay for every new OS that comes out for each of my computers. I pay for quicktime pro for all of my computers.
They get enough of my money already.
APPLE IS GETTING TOO GREEDY they are turning into another microsoft.

I also want to be able to configure the UI, I don't need u frigging tube and itunes, I have it on my laptop that is enough.
post #10 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

Power to ya. You don't like it, hope you return it and are happy. Me, I'm getting quite a few of them for friends this Xmas. Makes a great gift.

You would be better off getting them a iTouch
post #11 of 35
Please quit griping.

You can downgrade your firmware and have all your l33t-hak2 back.
http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki/ind...1.1.1_to_1.0.2
Happy now?

C.
post #12 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Please quit griping.

You can downgrade your firmware and have all your l33t-hak2 back.
http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki/ind...1.1.1_to_1.0.2
Happy now?

C.

Nope apple is still trying to bleed dry the general public. That is microsoft credo.
post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG4MXV View Post

Nope apple is still trying to bleed dry the general public. That is microsoft credo.

A $200 price cut is hardly bleeding them dry.

Why no free ringtones? - 'cos Apple has to work with the record companies who want revenue for Ringtones. The record companies are already unhappy because iTunes includes a CD ripper.

Why no installable 3rd party Apps? - because Apple has to to work with AT&T ( & O2 etc) and if you could easily install Skype for iPhone - then at 2c per minute, no-one would ever pay for mobile rates again.

Yes Apple could deliver these things for free, but at the cost of losing their partners.
Could this cost Apple in the long term? Yes, it certainly hurt Sony.

Does that make Apple as evil as Microsoft. Possibly, but Apple is using its power to shift the market towards no DRM, and I'd still argue that Apple places the experience of the customer much higher than MS or Sony.

I'd suggest you wait until Apple has established itself as a major mobile phone vendor. And compare its ethics then.

But if you don't like it. Dump you iPhone and buy a Zune.

C.
post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG4MXV View Post

Nope apple is still trying to bleed dry the general public. That is microsoft credo.

If there was ANY logic to your position it might be interesting to discuss but Apple has been totally up front with everything they've done with the phone. They said there would be no SDK. They said there would be no unlocking. They said that the current upgrade would likely break both. After the release of the iPod Touch this results was totally predictable as it was reported the iTouch used a different restore process and different encryption scheme.

Apple has always presented that they were selling a phone with these capabilities. They only promised upgrades, which they are delivering (albeit slowly).

The previous poster has given you back your apps by downgrading, so again you've lost nothing.
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG4MXV View Post

You would be better off getting them a iTouch

iPhones're better for this group. Next year, when the gigs are up higher on the iTouch, I'll rethink. Some of what comes with the phone is the "call me any time if you need a lift" part of the Xmas gift I give. No one should drive drunk, so the phones work out better for that part of the present. It's funny how many people don't want to wait for cabs, but will wait for a friend.
"I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused."
Macbook Pro 2.2
Reply
"I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused."
Macbook Pro 2.2
Reply
post #16 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

A $200 price cut is hardly bleeding them dry.

Why no free ringtones? - 'cos Apple has to work with the record companies who want revenue for Ringtones. The record companies are already unhappy because iTunes includes a CD ripper.

Why no installable 3rd party Apps? - because Apple has to to work with AT&T ( & O2 etc) and if you could easily install Skype for iPhone - then at 2c per minute, no-one would ever pay for mobile rates again.

Yes Apple could deliver these things for free, but at the cost of losing their partners.
Could this cost Apple in the long term? Yes, it certainly hurt Sony.

Does that make Apple as evil as Microsoft. Possibly, but Apple is using its power to shift the market towards no DRM, and I'd still argue that Apple places the experience of the customer much higher than MS or Sony.

I'd suggest you wait until Apple has established itself as a major mobile phone vendor. And compare its ethics then.

But if you don't like it. Dump you iPhone and buy a Zune.

C.

I see your point but I still think it is highway robbery to have to buy a song that I already own when I bought the cd and them pay another 99c to make a ringtone.

I do not condone unlocking the phone for use on other networks, as far as installing skipe, I don't use skipe so I don't know exactly how it works other than it is a VOIP provider. and for that to work you need internet service, So unless you are at a hotspot you still have to pay for data service.
Also the upgrade changed safari and I now can not use it to get to my company WWW page that has all my workorders and that is a big problem.

All I am saying is that the 1.1.1 "Down grade" killed a lot of good apps and added a lot of useless fluff that is only designed for you to spend more money.

OH the only reason why I would buy a Zune is to blow it to bits and put the video of it's further demise on Utube.
post #17 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

iPhones're better for this group. Next year, when the gigs are up higher on the iTouch, I'll rethink. Some of what comes with the phone is the "call me any time if you need a lift" part of the Xmas gift I give. No one should drive drunk, so the phones work out better for that part of the present. It's funny how many people don't want to wait for cabs, but will wait for a friend.

Good idea but for this purpose of call me anytime, I would choose a prepaid phone.
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG4MXV View Post

Good idea but for this purpose of call me anytime, I would choose a prepaid phone.

First you tell me to get an iTouch rather than an iPhone for my friends (having no idea their likes and dislikes). Then you tell me you'd choose a prepaid for the "call any time" part of the gift.

First: you don't know my friends, so why an iTouch over the iPhone? Second: a prepaid phone? If my only reason were to give them lifts, I guess, if I were cheap, I might do that. Why would you do that?

I think getting an iPhone is much nicer as a gift ("Oh, look what I got... a prepaid phone?") and serves both the purpose of being fun to play with, full time communication ability (rather than limited prepaid) and takes care of the "call any time." But, I guess money is probably tighter for you, and that makes sense with the prepaid.
"I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused."
Macbook Pro 2.2
Reply
"I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused."
Macbook Pro 2.2
Reply
post #19 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by physguy View Post

If there was ANY logic to your position it might be interesting to discuss but Apple has been totally up front with everything they've done with the phone. They said there would be no SDK. They said there would be no unlocking. They said that the current upgrade would likely break both. After the release of the iPod Touch this results was totally predictable as it was reported the iTouch used a different restore process and different encryption scheme.

Apple has always presented that they were selling a phone with these capabilities. They only promised upgrades, which they are delivering (albeit slowly).

The previous poster has given you back your apps by downgrading, so again you've lost nothing.

Not quite, there is a possibility of bricking the phone and that is not an option for me. after all I can't return it bricked. and expect a refund.

My logic is that apple is being too greedy and expects you to pay and pay for features that most smart phones already have. The so called upgrades caused a bug in safari that I can't load my companies quickbase WWW page to get my work orders, Before 1.1.1 I could surf the entire page now it only shows 1/3 of the page.

Instead of locking out 3rd party dev, they need to learn from them and incorporate these innovations, they have done it before on the older OSes on their computers.

I.E an old system extension called window shade that added the ability to double click the top header of an window and the body of the window would disappear.
Apple, a year or so later included this into their system update.
post #20 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

First you tell me to get an iTouch rather than an iPhone for my friends (having no idea their likes and dislikes). Then you tell me you'd choose a prepaid for the "call any time" part of the gift.

First: you don't know my friends, so why an iTouch over the iPhone? Second: a prepaid phone? If my only reason were to give them lifts, I guess, if I were cheap, I might do that. Why would you do that?

I think getting an iPhone is much nicer as a gift ("Oh, look what I got... a prepaid phone?") and serves both the purpose of being fun to play with, full time communication ability (rather than limited prepaid) and takes care of the "call any time." But, I guess money is probably tighter for you, and that makes sense with the prepaid.

I am not telling you how to spend your money. I will agree if you want to give iPhones for gifts that is cool.
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG4MXV View Post

I am not telling you how to spend your money. I will agree if you want to give iPhones for gifts that is cool.

We cool.
"I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused."
Macbook Pro 2.2
Reply
"I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused."
Macbook Pro 2.2
Reply
post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG4MXV View Post

Not quite, there is a possibility of bricking the phone and that is not an option for me. after all I can't return it bricked. and expect a refund.

My logic is that apple is being too greedy and expects you to pay and pay for features that most smart phones already have. The so called upgrades caused a bug in safari that I can't load my companies quickbase WWW page to get my work orders, Before 1.1.1 I could surf the entire page now it only shows 1/3 of the page.

Instead of locking out 3rd party dev, they need to learn from them and incorporate these innovations, they have done it before on the older OSes on their computers.

I.E an old system extension called window shade that added the ability to double click the top header of an window and the body of the window would disappear.
Apple, a year or so later included this into their system update.

No, your logic is if I want it they should give it to me. Apple doesn't 'expect' you to pay they 'ask' you to pay. Don't want it, don't buy it. Again, they have let you know exactly what you are buying now. They offer other features that other smart phone don't have either like multi-touch, like a UI that actually helps you, like safari, like an iPod, etc. etc. etc. I would bet that you're not on Nokia's boards demanding they add these features to your Nokia phone (please substitute appropriate vendor as required) or you will return it. Any product offers some features and not others. There are NO standards for phone features - only 'usual'.

As to learning from 3rd party devs I agree totally - it has nothing to do with Apples greed, only their business approach. I would also bet they have learn a tremendous amount from what the hacks already did, and I personally thing they will add a number of these feature in a much more controlled, and much more complete fashion. Everyone here that is complaining about the current Apple offerings fit and finish would scream bloody murder if Apple offered the third-party apps in their (the third party apps that is ) current condition. They only reason the current offerings are accepted, and even praised (and yes I used most of them) are because they are free.
post #23 of 35
You sound like a disgruntled little kid.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #24 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by physguy View Post

No, your logic is if I want it they should give it to me. Apple doesn't 'expect' you to pay they 'ask' you to pay. Don't want it, don't buy it. Again, they have let you know exactly what you are buying now. They offer other features that other smart phone don't have either like multi-touch, like a UI that actually helps you, like safari, like an iPod, etc. etc. etc. I would bet that you're not on Nokia's boards demanding they add these features to your Nokia phone (please substitute appropriate vendor as required) or you will return it. Any product offers some features and not others. There are NO standards for phone features - only 'usual'.

As to learning from 3rd party devs I agree totally - it has nothing to do with Apples greed, only their business approach. I would also bet they have learn a tremendous amount from what the hacks already did, and I personally thing they will add a number of these feature in a much more controlled, and much more complete fashion. Everyone here that is complaining about the current Apple offerings fit and finish would scream bloody murder if Apple offered the third-party apps in their (the third party apps that is ) current condition. They only reason the current offerings are accepted, and even praised (and yes I used most of them) are because they are free.

I disagree, I pad for the phone (full price) {My choice} I paid for all the music {again my choice},
Correct me if I am wrong but all the music I currently own (bought the CD or via Itunes store)
Apple makes me buy the same song I already own and pay another fee to make a clip of it a ring tone. {not my choice if I want a custom ringtone from any song.}
post #25 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You sound like a disgruntled little kid.

I am ticked that in one fail swoop my productive tool turned into a expensive toy,
That 100% of its design now is to make money for Apple, AT&T, Record companies.

Come on people the biggest change is the addition is a whittled down version of Itunes.
Just so you can spend more money on Apple and if you are in a starbucks I am sure that if you buy a track using their new system they will get a kickback.
IF that is not greed then what is it,

I have tried to use the TV out with my Icuti viewer and with the A/V cable connected to a TV I know the cable works because it works with my 30GB video iPod.
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG4MXV View Post

Sounds like you work for apple.
And yes they did beta test to kill the apps. And no I did not expect them to kill the productive apps however I did expect them to kill the apps that unlock the phone for use with other carriers.
They even killed iToner from ambrosia.

if apple thinks I am going to pay 1.98 per ring tone for a song I already own on a CD they are sorrily mistaken.
I have been a loyal apple user since 1988 and pay for every new OS that comes out for each of my computers. I pay for quicktime pro for all of my computers.
They get enough of my money already.
APPLE IS GETTING TOO GREEDY they are turning into another microsoft.

I also want to be able to configure the UI, I don't need u frigging tube and itunes, I have it on my laptop that is enough.


i just love it when people buy products after doing no reasearch whatsoever, you deserve to have your iPhone bricked after it was clear that apple would not go out of their way to allow 3d party apps. Maybe you shouldnt have bought the phone to begin with, i didnt buy one just because of the lack of any sdk.

They most likly did not attempt to kill the apps but they didnt try not to.


Ringtones are just because of licensing by the music companies.




post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG4MXV View Post

Sounds like you work for apple.


and like you work for M$, or at the very least are a troll, please do go away.
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG4MXV View Post

I disagree, I pad for the phone (full price) {My choice} I paid for all the music {again my choice},
Correct me if I am wrong but all the music I currently own (bought the CD or via Itunes store)
Apple makes me buy the same song I already own and pay another fee to make a clip of it a ring tone. {not my choice if I want a custom ringtone from any song.}

OK, I'll correct you because you are wrong.

For content purchased on iTunes you can read this, which you in effect signed by purchasing content from ITS

Term of Service

I believe this is similar for CD's in that you don't own' the music you have permission to use it is certain ways (playing for personal listening etc.). I did not want to take the time to find references. If you 'owned' the software you could do with it what you liked, such as play it at the Super Bowl, etc. You don't own it.

This, of course, is extremely similar to software. You do not own the software you buy - read the EULA. Msft has gone out of its way in the past to enforce this in that they have actively prevented re-sale of older licenses of Office and Windows. That's the only specific example of enforcement of which I'm aware.

Use of previously licensed music for ringtone, to me, is arguably under the original personal use license but currently Apple is one of the less egregious examples of providing ringtones. I believe on verizon the only way to do this is pay $2- $3 for JUST the ringtone.

Please stop being a pure winer here and go file a reasoned argument at iphone feedback. Apple does listen to these if enough people are asking the same thing.

I have done this vis-a-vis an SDK. I have just downgraded by iPhone back to 1.0.2 because the 3rd party apps are more valuable to me than what Apple provided in the upgrade. I know far more people who could care less about the 3rd party stuff (as currently done) than what Apple provided in the upgrade, so from a market perspective Apple is probably following the right path, for the moment.
post #29 of 35
What am I missing here?!?!

This is not simply directed to the OP but people bitching about the price drop in general...

In the US:

Nov - 2004 - the RAZR was introduced at a price point of $600 with a $100 rebate
Sept - 2007 - You can get pretty much find the phone free with a box of cereal

So basically the RAZRs availability spanned the full years of 2005, 2006 and by 2007 the RAZR was easily available for $99 or sometimes free with a new contract. The RAZR lost apx 85% of it's 'value' in just over/under 2 years time. Where are the MILLIONS of people complaining about that?!?! Since you gotta know that most of the RAZR owners paid quite a bit more than the 'free' and/or $99 it's priced at now.

Dave
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #30 of 35
If the iPhone is not living up to the hype or the promise of it or what ever else you think it should do I guess you're right to be mad. However, if they phone keeps on selling well, and the bulk of their users are happy, and they keep making money for their investors what you think is irrelevant. Perhaps Apple should not be using such draconian methods to keep it locked and they may be forced to at least allow third party apps on it. But the market will decide how well the iPhone and Apple does not your "boycot". Apple might be greedy, but all good companies are greedy, and if they go too far they get thumped on the head.
post #31 of 35
I'm boycotting the iPhone.

I refuse to buy one until Apple releases it fully compatible with at least one network here. Until Apple releases it here I just won't buy it.

That'll teach 'em!

post #32 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by imacFP View Post

If the iPhone is not living up to the hype or the promise of it or what ever else you think it should do I guess you're right to be mad. However, if they phone keeps on selling well, and the bulk of their users are happy, and they keep making money for their investors what you think is irrelevant. Perhaps Apple should not be using such draconian methods to keep it locked and they may be forced to at least allow third party apps on it. But the market will decide how well the iPhone and Apple does not your "boycot". Apple might be greedy, but all good companies are greedy, and if they go too far they get thumped on the head.

very well said.
post #33 of 35
Wouldn't you take a much bigger hit returning it than you would if you paid for the ring tones? Do you really need special ring tones of music you like mutilated by being played through a very crappy speaker?

Apple never promised to make unlocking easy, and never promised third party apps.

I know there's the principle of it, but this is silly. I'm happy not being an early adopter though.
post #34 of 35
I agree that Apple is being greedy here. But there are instances when they are offering products at competitive pricing. Look at iTMS. 9.99 is hardly greedy for an album. And sticking to 1.99 for tv show downloads when they could have easily succumbed to the pressure from NBC is very cool. Also, look at their iMac pricing. They dropped prices AND updated the specs too. I think thats great.

If you are pissed about the deal you got with the iPhone, take it back. But there are lots of Apple fans who showed restraint and resisted the urge to purchase because it was VERY CLEAR that the iPhone was going to be closed and not 3rd party app friendly. If you can be patient and wait a couple years, the ATT deal will end, and the iphone will be open to all GSM carriers across the world, and at that point, we'll have a 64GB iphone and 3G and about a million iphone widgets that can easily be downloaded without fear of Apple killing them.

So yes, its your impatience that is causing your headaches now. Shut up and bring your phone back to the store, plead your case for a refund, but most importantly stop complaining about things you already knew.
post #35 of 35
hey stop the b--t--ing grow up,my experience with apple has been well much better than most consumer electronics companies and certainly better than motorola, or at&t....people in canada and chinca are paying $1000 (at least befoe the last updae) for this amazing thing and it will only get better....why don't you have a poll of best buys, M$, dell customer service..because people just expect junk from them...
stop this whining and get a grip

signed: non-blinded....mind awakend..apple fanboy waiting to buy this amazing thing once it has voice dialing
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Boycot iPhone