or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › So, I'm Finally Getting Back Surgery

So, I'm Finally Getting Back Surgery

post #1 of 69
So most of you don't know this, but I've had awful back problems now for about 5 years. Nope, this is not Rush speaking nor are he and SDW the same person.

I've tried almost everything: Chiropractic, steroidal injections, oral NSAIDS, oral steroidals, physical therapy, percutaneous disc decompression, you name it. It sometimes gets better, but then it goes back to Life in Hell, taking 3000mg a day of Ibuprofren and 6 ultracet tabs a day. Fun times!

Anyway, my problem is spinal stenosis of the central canal and foramina at L3/L4. Mean anything to anyone? I'm having surgery October 18th...the first of my adult life. I'm excited to finally get something done (decompressing the whole area...details if you wish), but also a bit nervous. They say I should be back at work in a few weeks as I feel able, so I'm hoping that by the 29th I should be OK to go in. Not exactly easy for a teacher to take off during the year, but it needs to be done. The pain is ridiculous (only thing I can do is biking, walking and jogging are out of the question).

Bring on the knife. And the drugs. And laying around for a week yelling at you guys from a narcotics-induced stupor!

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #2 of 69
I hope everything goes well for you.
Maybe all those narcotics will make you more liberal
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. Thomas Jefferson
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. Thomas Jefferson
post #3 of 69
A friend of mine came out of spinal stenosis surgery in good form. Her symptoms were a bit different. She woke up one morning and had no feeling from her waist to her toes. Anyway, this was 20 years ago so the procedure must be routine by now.
post #4 of 69
I don't know about the specific procedure you're having, but back in February 2005 I had a discectomy/laminectomy on my L5-S1 disc. I had ruptured the disc and was suffering from bad sciatica on the left leg, and could barely walk for almost 6 months while the Navy tried everything from meds to physical therapy before opting for surgery. When they finally got around to giving me an MRI, the doc showed me that I had almost no disc left there, all the 'jelly' from inside the disc had squirted out into my spinal canal!!

I didn't remember anything after they gave me the 'happy juice' in pre-op, so the surgery itself was no big deal, took about 30 minutes. One night in hospital, then I had 30 days at home recuperating. Nothing but resting and gentle walking recommended during that time. Recovered fairly quickly.
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #5 of 69
If you cannot die under the knife, I wish you a slow and painful recovery, with hopefully complete paralysis from the neck down - which would make a change from complete paralysis from the neck up.
post #6 of 69
Ask the doctor if he can fix your brain, too.

HEY!
post #7 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Ask the doctor if he can fix your brain, too.

HEY!

hey, did SDW do alot of swimming when he was a kid?

http://www.physorg.com/news110255496.html
post #8 of 69
Best of luck. If you can, record yourself after you come out of anesthesia. You'll say some pretty hilarious shit while the anesthesia is wearing off.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #9 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Best of luck. If you can, record yourself after you come out of anesthesia. You'll say some pretty hilarious shit while the anesthesia is wearing off.

Nice. Oh, correction...I did go under in college to have my wisdom teeth out. I was told that I was sort of sleep walking for a day or two.

As for the procedure, I'm told that it's fairly routine...basically like having a discectomy. They're doing a laminectomy and foraminectomy to decompress the nerve roots. The guy I saw said at L3/L4 my spinal canal is more of a triangle (looking down from above) then a circle. That translates to Your Fucked™

Anyway....I'm hoping to be back at work quickly, but I may not be able to in only 11 days. We'll see.
post #10 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

hey, did SDW do alot of swimming when he was a kid?

http://www.physorg.com/news110255496.html

Quote:

If you cannot die under the knife, I wish you a slow and painful recovery, with hopefully complete paralysis from the neck down - which would make a change from complete paralysis from the neck up.

Thanks guys. That felt good. May I have another?
post #11 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

I don't know about the specific procedure you're having, but back in February 2005 I had a discectomy/laminectomy on my L5-S1 disc. I had ruptured the disc and was suffering from bad sciatica on the left leg, and could barely walk for almost 6 months while the Navy tried everything from meds to physical therapy before opting for surgery. When they finally got around to giving me an MRI, the doc showed me that I had almost no disc left there, all the 'jelly' from inside the disc had squirted out into my spinal canal!!

I didn't remember anything after they gave me the 'happy juice' in pre-op, so the surgery itself was no big deal, took about 30 minutes. One night in hospital, then I had 30 days at home recuperating. Nothing but resting and gentle walking recommended during that time. Recovered fairly quickly.

Sounds like what I'm doing at another level, but no discectomy. A different spine center had been treating me for disc issues (dissectation, herniations) but the neurosurgeon I spoke with told me this was not the problem. He has an excellent reputation. He also confirmed what another surgeon told me a few years ago...the stenosis is the main problem.
post #12 of 69
Well, hell, no wonder you're such a cantankerous sumbitch, if you got that kind of back pain. I've had bouts of just muscle strain type sciatica, and it makes me insane.

Of course, it's not clear why I'm such a cantankerous sumbitch the rest of the time, but we'll leave that for now....

Good luck with the surgery, hope it cures what ails you. Is there a fairly high expectation that this procedure will fix it, or at least make it a good deal better? Does it end up limiting your mobility?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #13 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Well, hell, no wonder you're such a cantankerous sumbitch, if you got that kind of back pain. I've had bouts of just muscle strain type sciatica, and it makes me insane.

Of course, it's not clear why I'm such a cantankerous sumbitch the rest of the time, but we'll leave that for now....

Good luck with the surgery, hope it cures what ails you. Is there a fairly high expectation that this procedure will fix it, or at least make it a good deal better? Does it end up limiting your mobility?

Thanks, adda. To answer your questions, I'm told it is about a 75% "fix my shit" rate. Right now I have terrible pain, numbness when walking...and I walk bent over to the right. I'm also told that there won't be anything I can't do once I heal.

What makes me feel good about it too is the surgeon. He was recommended by someone that is a nurse in the hospital I'm going know...and he knows the guy. He basically told me "you think you're a smart person until you talk to this guy." My ex-brother-in-law also works at this hospital as a cardiac group PA.

Anywho...meeting with him was like a breath of fresh air. At UPENN (my "other" spine center), I got "well maybe this, maybe that, we'll see, we'll try, run this test, etc. It's like they were just guessing, and I never spoke to the actual doctor (only one of his lackey fellows). This guy looked at my MRIs, read my history that I prepared, had be describe my symptoms in detail, did a quick strength exam/reflex test, and said "given all this and your history, you need this and here is why. He was confident but not arrogant and pompous. It was exactly what I needed...clear terms of chances of success, the procedure, recovery, long term prospects, etc.
post #14 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Thanks, adda. To answer your questions, I'm told it is about a 75% "fix my shit" rate. Right now I have terrible pain, numbness when walking...and I walk bent over to the right. I'm also told that there won't be anything I can't do once I heal.

What makes me feel good about it too is the surgeon. He was recommended by someone that is a nurse in the hospital I'm going know...and he knows the guy. He basically told me "you think you're a smart person until you talk to this guy." My ex-brother-in-law also works at this hospital as a cardiac group PA.

Anywho...meeting with him was like a breath of fresh air. At UPENN (my "other" spine center), I got "well maybe this, maybe that, we'll see, we'll try, run this test, etc. It's like they were just guessing, and I never spoke to the actual doctor (only one of his lackey fellows). This guy looked at my MRIs, read my history that I prepared, had be describe my symptoms in detail, did a quick strength exam/reflex test, and said "given all this and your history, you need this and here is why. He was confident but not arrogant and pompous. It was exactly what I needed...clear terms of chances of success, the procedure, recovery, long term prospects, etc.

Good for you, I'm glad you got such a positive guy in your court. I think I've read studies that suggest that clarity, support and optimism actually have a strong effect on the outcome of illness and medical procedures.

Chronic pain is such a joy killer, I really hope this works out great for you.
post #15 of 69
Quote:

"Those who fight monsters should take care that they never become one. For when you stand and look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you." ~ Frederich Nietsche
post #16 of 69
Quote:

MarkUK:

That was a disgusting and contemptible post.

SDW:
Good luck and a speedy recovery. PM to follow.

V/R,
Aries 1B
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
post #17 of 69
Best of luck to you SDW. I have once woken up with a torn back muscle that was actually damaged before going to bed but I didn't notice it likely due to adrenalin. All I had to do was to get out of bed, put on a piece of clothing or two, call a cab, sit down in the back of the cab as it comes, get out at the hospital, and sit a while on a reception bench. Thing is, I had major trouble handling every one of those steps and only after strong meds did any of it become easier. Now I can't know how terrible it is to live with a constantly bad back, but I can guess.
post #18 of 69
SDW, all the Best to you. I hope you recover quickly. My mother had a similar surgery, so I know what you're going thru.
post #19 of 69
SDW2001,

I hope you make a full recovery and a speedy one at that! I am pulling for you!

If I may ask how old are you again? I thought you were too young to be having all this old folk kind of fun business..

I have done a few things over the months and years to my back like picking up a cast iron sink the wrong way once and then that time I got the large bag of lawn fertilizer and poured it into the spreader the wrong way...

Man in each case I was in pain for about a week and a half. I would hate to have that kind of pain all the time...

Best wishes,

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34

post #20 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Good for you, I'm glad you got such a positive guy in your court. I think I've read studies that suggest that clarity, support and optimism actually have a strong effect on the outcome of illness and medical procedures.

Chronic pain is such a joy killer, I really hope this works out great for you.

I've heard that too. The guy was not a cheerleader either..he was must matter of fact and positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gon View Post

Best of luck to you SDW. I have once woken up with a torn back muscle that was actually damaged before going to bed but I didn't notice it likely due to adrenalin. All I had to do was to get out of bed, put on a piece of clothing or two, call a cab, sit down in the back of the cab as it comes, get out at the hospital, and sit a while on a reception bench. Thing is, I had major trouble handling every one of those steps and only after strong meds did any of it become easier. Now I can't know how terrible it is to live with a constantly bad back, but I can guess.

All those things have cause ridiculous pain depending on when I do them. It goes in periods of months. The last year has been pretty bad, though with drugs and getting in shape I can at least do daily tasks. There have been times where putting on shoes made me sweat from exertion, holding my abdominal muscles tightly to compensate for the back pain. Not fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durin oakenskin View Post

SDW, all the Best to you. I hope you recover quickly. My mother had a similar surgery, so I know what you're going thru.

How did it go...what exactly was done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

SDW2001,

I hope you make a full recovery and a speedy one at that! I am pulling for you!

Thanks fellows!

Quote:

If I may ask how old are you again? I thought you were too young to be having all this old folk kind of fun business..

Yeah, that's the thing. I'm 31....going to be 32 on the Oct. 22nd. My spinal stenosis is very advanced for my age. I'm told it's more like that of a 60 year old. My Dad has it, but his got better....and he's 59.
I also have disc issues, but I'm told those are secondary.

Quote:

I have done a few things over the months and years to my back like picking up a cast iron sink the wrong way once and then that time I got the large bag of lawn fertilizer and poured it into the spreader the wrong way...

Man in each case I was in pain for about a week and a half. I would hate to have that kind of pain all the time...

Best wishes,

Fellows

Yeah, well I have had pain for months at a clip...you basically get used to it. It sucks because I still have issues despite losing 50lbs in the last 7 months, biking 10-15 miles a day, working out, etc. I'm supposed to be living The Single Life at last, and I'm a gimp instead! Damn! Let's hope this fixes it.
post #21 of 69
Quote:

Holy ****, man. That's cold.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #22 of 69
MarcUK: that's totally out of line.

SDW: Good luck - let us know how it goes.
post #23 of 69
Oh yeah SDW, I forgot to say, after the surgery the pain situation wasn't bad at all, at least in my case. They gave me some Motrin and some heavy duty painkillers when I checked out of the hospital, all I had to take was a few Motrins the first day or so, never had to touch the addicting stuff, luckily.

(YMMV, of course)

Oh, and I have a pic of the surgery site with all the staples in it, I could post if you'd want!

I think the oddest part of the first post-op visit was the nurse pulling the staples out with a pair of surgical steel pliers! "OK, hold still." YANK, YANK, YANK...
The Story of Stuff
The Story of Stuff
post #24 of 69
Quote:

Yeah, that's the thing. I'm 31....going to be 32 on the Oct. 22nd.

well, what do you know, im going to be 32 on October 21st.

As for the rest of the outrage, lighten up, there is no love lost between us two.

I can quite easily imagine a world where people like SDW do not exist, although it will probably never happen. In this world, there is peace, prosperity, understanding, equality, freedom and love between all men and women.

I dont know where the rest of you have been for the last 5 years, but SDW does not stand for any of these things. Infact, he has shown time after time, that he is completely the opposite.

Now, it might be more refined to wish an adversary some good will with his misfortune, but then you have to remember that SDW and the like are jointly responsible for all the sick shit that goes on it the world today, by the way they vote, and the way they defend the actions of the perverse and perverted.

There is no good will on their part, just a sick desire to wipe them out and install hardline wingnut dictatorship masquerading as democracy, so that the peoples may be exploited for profit. Thanks to them, there are hundreds of thousands of innocent people who have far worse injuries than SDW, if indeed they are still alive. There is no good will given to those people whatsoever.

IMO, that does not warrant refined good will at all. If anything, SDW's little misery is justice for his convictions, and if there was a God at all, he would strike SDW down in permanent agony from the neck down in a wheelchair for the rest of his life, to constantly remind him that everything he stood for was wrong, and as a reminder that what he indirectly enabled is exactly the same kind of misery and suffering he helped enable on other people.

Spare me the outrage, I aint changing my mind anytime soon.
post #25 of 69
Quote:

As for the rest of the outrage, lighten up, there is no love lost between us two.

I can quite easily imagine a world where people like SDW do not exist, although it will probably never happen. In this world, there is peace, prosperity, understanding, equality, freedom and love between all men and women.

I dont know where the rest of you have been for the last 5 years, but SDW does not stand for any of these things. Infact, he has shown time after time, that he is completely the opposite.

Now, it might be more refined to wish an adversary some good will with his misfortune, but then you have to remember that SDW and the like are jointly responsible for all the sick shit that goes on it the world today, by the way they vote, and the way they defend the actions of the perverse and perverted.

There is no good will on their part, just a sick desire to wipe them out and install hardline wingnut dictatorship masquerading as democracy, so that the peoples may be exploited for profit. Thanks to them, there are hundreds of thousands of innocent people who have far worse injuries than SDW, if indeed they are still alive. There is no good will given to those people whatsoever.

IMO, that does not warrant refined good will at all. If anything, SDW's little misery is justice for his convictions, and if there was a God at all, he would strike SDW down in permanent agony from the neck down in a wheelchair for the rest of his life, to constantly remind him that everything he stood for was wrong, and as a reminder that what he indirectly enabled is exactly the same kind of misery and suffering he helped enable on other people.

Maybe he's the way he is because he's in constant agony... you would be too.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #26 of 69
Quote:

I haven't followed these boards long enough to know anything about either of you or your positions. And, you know, I am a cat.

However, your diatribe strikes me as wierdly self-referential. You come off sounding like the very thing you accuse him of.
post #27 of 69
Quote:

:::cough::: Too bold statement! :::cough:::
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
post #28 of 69
Quote:

So, apparently you have no problems lowering yourself to the level you accuse him of? Classy...

Pot, Kettle.

Kettle, Pot.
The Story of Stuff
The Story of Stuff
post #29 of 69
Quote:

How did it go...what exactly was done?

I try to explain in English... I'm not a native speaker, therefore you may guess what I mean...

they had to pin together two or three vortices (?) because her spinal column was almost collapsing. It looked a little like your picture, but worse. Seen from upfront, her spinal column looked like an "S" - quite scary.

It went quite well. The pain is much better than before, but there are days when she needs some real drugs. they decide in a few weeks if she has to do it one more time.

I hope everything goes well. All the best, SDW!
post #30 of 69
Quote:

You seem to be beyond the help of mere men with your statements in this thread so I ask you to consider the following:

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another (John 13:34).

Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing (1 Peter 3:9).

Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness. Whoever loves his brother lives in the light, and there is nothing in him to make him stumble (1 John 2:9-10).

2 Cor 2:10-11 States “whom you forgive I also forgive, for if indeed I have forgiven anything, I have forgiven that one for your sakes in the presence of Christ lest Satan take advantage of us for we are not ignorant of his devices.”

One of the things we learn is that unforgiveness is one of Satan’s devices, an instrument, a weapon, a plot, a scheme, a tool, that he uses. People that Satan couldn’t get to to rob a bank or shoot someone, he gets to them through strife, bitterness, resentment and unforgiveness…

Ephesians is a good example; it’s not only in Ephesians, but throughout the Bible. This principle is given to us: that in the same way that God forgave us, we are to “choose” to forgive others. Ephesians 4:31-32 states “Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor (quarreling) and evil speaking be put away from you with all malice (malice gets into that area of hatred because of bitterness and resentment).”

Fellowship

post #31 of 69
This could get ugly...
post #32 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

This could get ugly...

I am talking to myself as well... We are all able to fall into the trap of bitterness and unforgiveness..

The powers of darkness do not discriminate.

After all "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities" This is not "really" about a person in this thread.

Fellows

post #33 of 69
Let us know where we can send the back get better card and the strip-o-grams.....

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #34 of 69
I pray everything goes well at the hospital and that you come out this fully healed.

But make sure to tell the doctor that after the surgery, you still want to lean to the right.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #35 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I pray everything goes well at the hospital and that you come out this fully healed.

But make sure to tell the doctor that after the surgery, you still want to lean to the right.

Nice.
post #36 of 69
Quote:

I'm not entirely convinced you're serious and that this is not just the ultimate in flame baiting. However, if these are your real feelings towards me and apparently towards anyone that disagrees with you politically, you need to seek some professional help. Have a nice evening.
post #37 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by durin oakenskin View Post

I try to explain in English... I'm not a native speaker, therefore you may guess what I mean...

they had to pin together two or three vortices (?) because her spinal column was almost collapsing. It looked a little like your picture, but worse. Seen from upfront, her spinal column looked like an "S" - quite scary.

It went quite well. The pain is much better than before, but there are days when she needs some real drugs. they decide in a few weeks if she has to do it one more time.

I hope everything goes well. All the best, SDW!

Wow...that sounds tough. Mine is actually not like that...it's just opening up space for the nerves. Nothing is collapsing or bent or what not...it's just the nerves getting pinched and inflamed while I'm standing/walking, etc.
post #38 of 69
Quote:

Wow...that sounds tough. Mine is actually not like that...it's just opening up space for the nerves. Nothing is collapsing or bent or what not...it's just the nerves getting pinched and inflamed while I'm standing/walking, etc.

I had a few weeks of severe pain from a back injury when I was in college... 5 years of it sounds like hell on earth. I wish you a complete and speedy recovery.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #39 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

I had a few weeks of severe pain from a back injury when I was in college... 5 years of it sounds like hell on earth. I wish you a complete and speedy recovery.

Thanks sammi. It has been a tough time. I have been better at times, but then awful at others. Not fun. I do plan to enjoy my week and a half or more of laying around and doing nothing!
post #40 of 69
I know I'm a little late in the thread, but I don't care. Good luck.

One question though...

How does it work when a teacher leaves for an unknown period of time? Do you just hand over your lesson plan to the substitute and hope for the best?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › So, I'm Finally Getting Back Surgery