or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › So, I'm Finally Getting Back Surgery

So, I'm Finally Getting Back Surgery - Page 2

post #41 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

I know I'm a little late in the thread, but I don't care. Good luck.

One question though...

How does it work when a teacher leaves for an unknown period of time? Do you just hand over your lesson plan to the substitute and hope for the best?

It's not quite as random as that, he also provides a pre-approved list of candidates:

They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #42 of 69
Heroes Season 3!

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #43 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Heroes Season 3!

I think the blond in the short skirt is radioactive, and capable of destroying cities.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure Novakula over there on the left has been going around taking peoples brains.
post #44 of 69
That's funny.

Novak and Coulter were the only ones in the photo I recognized, but I saw where you were coming from.
post #45 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

I know I'm a little late in the thread, but I don't care. Good luck.

One question though...

How does it work when a teacher leaves for an unknown period of time? Do you just hand over your lesson plan to the substitute and hope for the best?

Basically. There will be a music sub in and I will leave instructions. Some classes will watch videos, some won't. It just depends. The lady that's going to be in for me has done extended periods before.

Thanks for well wishes.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #46 of 69
Well I am back! I had the surgery Thursday and all went very well. Sorry to MarcUK! I am home, up and about. The surgeon expects me to get significant relief. They ended up taking out the lamina, some of the foramina (right side) and some of L3/L4 disc as well. I already can feel the difference. I'm told at one point the surgeon said "this guy has a really bad back" as he watched my leg move around on the table as he poked around. But I think I'll be pretty close to fixed up now. Before I went to sleep, the one O.R. nurse that if she was operated on, it would be by this guy I had.

Oh, and Perc....let me tell you. Good fucking drug! Anyway...that's the update. Back to drug induced stupor now!.....
post #47 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Well I am back! I had the surgery Thursday and all went very well. Sorry to MarcUK! I am home, up and about. The surgeon expects me to get significant relief. They ended up taking out the lamina, some of the foramina (right side) and some of L3/L4 disc as well. I already can feel the difference. I'm told at one point the surgeon said "this guy has a really bad back" as he watched my leg move around on the table as he poked around. But I think I'll be pretty close to fixed up now. Before I went to sleep, the one O.R. nurse that if she was operated on, it would be by this guy I had.

Oh, and Perc....let me tell you. Good fucking drug! Anyway...that's the update. Back to drug induced stupor now!.....

Congratulations!
Hope you achieve the relief that you sought. And Happy Birthday this Tuesday!

V/R,
Aries 1B
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
post #48 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries 1B View Post

Congratulations!
Hope you achieve the relief that you sought. And Happy Birthday this Tuesday!

V/R,
Aries 1B

Thanks dude. Actually, the b-day is Monday. I am still in pain but it seems to be diminishing slowly. After a week of doing nothing I'm sure I'll feel good!!!
post #49 of 69
Good luck speedy recovery
post #50 of 69
Quote:

Anyway...that's the update. Back to drug induced stupor now!.....

Hope you have fun! If it was anything like mine, you should be feeling relief real soon. Good Luck!
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #51 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

Hope you have fun! If it was anything like mine, you should be feeling relief real soon. Good Luck!

I actually feel better already in some ways. I am standing straighter, for example. I still have pain, but so far I an tell the difference in my legs already. Taking my first shower since Wednesday was a fun time today as well!
post #52 of 69
Quote:

I actually feel better already in some ways. I am standing straighter, for example. I still have pain, but so far I an tell the difference in my legs already. Taking my first shower since Wednesday was a fun time today as well!

Can you please provide a lot more detail on the operation? Cost, etc. too if you can share? My dad may need it (hopefully not) ....
post #53 of 69
Woot! Chronic back pain sucks! Glad to hear you're feeling better. Now stop being such a cantankerous sumbitch.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #54 of 69
Unlike Marc, I'm honestly glad you came out ok. Of course I was hoping you'd have some sort of epiphany about right vs. wrong while you were under, but alas, it doesn't look like that happened...
post #55 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Unlike Marc, I'm honestly glad you came out ok. Of course I was hoping you'd have some sort of epiphany about right vs. wrong while you were under, but alas, it doesn't look like that happened...

Nope. Now I'm conservative AND drugged up! Yee-haw.
post #56 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Can you please provide a lot more detail on the operation? Cost, etc. too if you can share? My dad may need it (hopefully not) ....

http://www.ascent-oxford.kramesonlin...eets/3,S,82372

http://www.spine-health.com/topics/c...is/sten01.html

I had a laminectomy at L3/L4 (unilateral) and a right ride partial foraminectomy. The surgeon also found that my L3/L4 disc was bulging and removed part of it. He also removed some of the inflamed tissues and such. I don't know about cost as mine in 100% covered by insurance. I knew being a teacher would pay off some day.

I'm doing OK today, but I am still walking to my right and having tightness when I stand up. My legs feel better though, and I would say that I have less pain than I did pre-surgery. I'm sure with some physical therapy and healing time I will be in pretty good shape. There have already been some moments where I expect pain and I don't have it. I used to get this delayed pain after standing up, right in the center of my lower back. It was like the blood pressure would adjust and cause the nerves to get squeezed. I've had few of those incidents now, and they are far less severe. Give that I just had surgery Thursday, I feel pretty good about my chances of a full recovery. I just need to make sure I'm resting and not doing too much.
post #57 of 69
Sounds like you're almost ready to enlist!

Please be sure to contact me if you decide to do so
post #58 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsLan^ View Post

Sounds like you're almost ready to enlist!

Please be sure to contact me if you decide to do so

Nice. I'll be sure to ask my doctor about that. Right now I'd move like a slightly less capable Bagdad Bob.
post #59 of 69
Quote:

Nice. I'll be sure to ask my doctor about that. Right now I'd move like a slightly less capable Bagdad Bob.

I always knew I could take you in a scrap. But now I can't because it would be wrong to capitalize on your disadvantage...

I guess we'll have to wait until you declare yourself fully recovered.
post #60 of 69
Quote:

http://www.ascent-oxford.kramesonlin...eets/3,S,82372

http://www.spine-health.com/topics/c...is/sten01.html

I had a laminectomy at L3/L4 (unilateral) and a right ride partial foraminectomy. The surgeon also found that my L3/L4 disc was bulging and removed part of it. He also removed some of the inflamed tissues and such. I don't know about cost as mine in 100% covered by insurance. I knew being a teacher would pay off some day.

I'm doing OK today, but I am still walking to my right and having tightness when I stand up. My legs feel better though, and I would say that I have less pain than I did pre-surgery. I'm sure with some physical therapy and healing time I will be in pretty good shape. There have already been some moments where I expect pain and I don't have it. I used to get this delayed pain after standing up, right in the center of my lower back. It was like the blood pressure would adjust and cause the nerves to get squeezed. I've had few of those incidents now, and they are far less severe. Give that I just had surgery Thursday, I feel pretty good about my chances of a full recovery. I just need to make sure I'm resting and not doing too much.

Cool, thanks for info.
post #61 of 69
Well, I had my follow up today. All is well, but I am EXTREMELY tight and having spasms, walking crooked, etc. They told me it was normal and changed my med doses a bit, and told me to stop stretching, which I felt helped. Apparently it can cause more spasms. The good news this is all normal and I have reduced leg pain. I still may not go bak to work until the middle of next week. My plan was Monday, but if I'm this sore, I don't know.

Gotta be in shape for the Dallas game next weekend though!
post #62 of 69
Quote:

Well, I had my follow up today. All is well, but I am EXTREMELY tight and having spasms, walking crooked, etc. They told me it was normal and changed my med doses a bit, and told me to stop stretching, which I felt helped. Apparently it can cause more spasms. The good news this is all normal and I have reduced leg pain. I still may not go bak to work until the middle of next week. My plan was Monday, but if I'm this sore, I don't know.

Ouch, stretching so soon after back surgery? Guess you found out why it's not recommended.

Quote:

Gotta be in shape for the Dallas game next weekend though!

Are you sure you can take it? I have a BAD feeling about that one...
The Story of Stuff
The Story of Stuff
post #63 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

Ouch, stretching so soon after back surgery? Guess you found out why it's not recommended.

It didn't hurt exactly. It felt good to get the muscles stretched. I did the thing where one lays on his back and pulls the leg up slowly with a towel or rope type thing. But I'm going to stop since they don't recommend it.

Quote:
Are you sure you can take it? I have a BAD feeling about that one...

Yeah, well I have a bad feeling about the whole season at this point. But I plan to do at least 8 hours of drinking, so rock on.
post #64 of 69
Quote:

Yeah, well I have a bad feeling about the whole season at this point. But I plan to do at least 8 hours of drinking, so rock on.

You will be off your pain medication by then? That's good. I tried to get off it as soon as I could after my knee surgeries. Stuff kinda made me nauseous.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #65 of 69
Good to hear you are doing so well, SDW2001. You have a lot of courage just to endure that kind of pain for the last years. I don't know what I would do in that situation.

Wouldn't it be nice if all Americans had access to health care just like you?
post #66 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindler View Post

Good to hear you are doing so well, SDW2001. You have a lot of courage just to endure that kind of pain for the last years. I don't know what I would do in that situation.

Wouldn't it be nice if all Americans had access to health care just like you?

haha. Nice. As I said, I knew being a teacher would pay off someday. As for pain, well I definitely have a good bit. Hopefully it diminishes over time...they expect it to.
post #67 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

You will be off your pain medication by then? That's good. I tried to get off it as soon as I could after my knee surgeries. Stuff kinda made me nauseous.

I'm off the perc already. I've switched ultracet, robaxin (muscle relaxant) and ibuprofen with my doctor's approval. I can drink with all but robaxin. I laid off the alcohol when I was on the perc.
post #68 of 69
I wish you the fastest and the better recovery possible. Back surgery have the reputation to be very painful.
Good luck
post #69 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerdoc View Post

I wish you the fastest and the better recovery possible. Back surgery have the reputation to be very painful.
Good luck

Long time Powerdoc, how are you? Thanks for the well wishes. As I said I'm doing a lot better. The spasms have improved a lot since I was allowed to go back on the ibuprofen. My only issue now is I'm not totally upright when I walk. Things are still tight. But I'm getting better every day!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › So, I'm Finally Getting Back Surgery